Page 345 of 355 FirstFirst ... 245295335343344345346347 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,350 of 10627

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think that's universal. My local newspaper reputedly covered the Titanic sinking under the headline "Kirriemuir Man Drowned In Shipping Disaster".

Grant Hutchison
    National Lampoon's newspaper parody from the 1970s bore a headline fearing the loss of two local woman on a world tour, while reading below that reveals that they were feared lost when Japan's volcanos exploded and sank the islands.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    National Lampoon's newspaper parody from the 1970s bore a headline fearing the loss of two local woman on a world tour, while reading below that reveals that they were feared lost when Japan's volcanos exploded and sank the islands.
    It is all a matter of your perspective as per one of my favourite cartoons from the once great Punch Magazine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Business-Office-Cartoons-Punch1968-05-01-652.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	24868

"Fog in the Channel; continent cut off"?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I keep seeing these commercials that say that you should buy silver now, as it's cheap, and its value is surely going 'way up very soon.
    I'd swear that they've been running that same claim in the same words for the last five years. Maybe ten.

That might make a good science fiction short subject:
    This guy buys lots and lots of silver, then goes into hibernation. Reawakened 100 years later, the first thing he sees is that exact same commercial.

My wife is watching the new XFL. She likes it. I do think we need more fierce animal names for teams without repeating all the old ones.

My wife is watching the new XFL. She likes it. I do think we need more fierce animal names for teams without repeating all the old ones.
    Thank you SO much for that awesome lead-in, I'll take it from here.
    Today I learned that Benson High School in Omaha, NE, is the home of THE MIGHTY BUNNIES!
    No, I am not making this up.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Today I learned that Benson High School in Omaha, NE, is the home of THE MIGHTY BUNNIES!
    Inspired by this movie?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Inspired by this movie?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/?

Predated it! Apparently in use since 1927.

I'm not sure if this actually amuses me, but 20 years ago at this date and time I and about 20,000 of my coworkers were walking out the door at Boeing to begin the largest white-collar strike in US history.

I'm not sure if this actually amuses me, but 20 years ago at this date and time I and about 20,000 of my coworkers were walking out the door at Boeing to begin the largest white-collar strike in US history.
    Fight the POWAH! Oh, sorry, never mind. [cough]

Thank you SO much for that awesome lead-in, I'll take it from here.
    No, I am not making this up.
    The University of Akron is The Zips, named for the 1920s rubber overshoes called zippers (Akron is the rubber city). But their mascot is a kangaroo called Zippy, and the team/school motto is "Fear the Roo".

Akron's minor league baseball team (Indians organization, AA) is the Rubber Ducks
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I was amused by an error I spotted just now when browsing a Popular Science magazine article published in 1961, after having missed it at the time as a youngster. It was about using a centrifuge to separate uranium isotopes. They said, "The heavy U-238 is forced to the wall of the tank - like cream in the dairy machine - while the light U-235 stays near the center." They were right about the uranium, but cream is the lighter component of non-homogenized milk and it goes to the center in a cream separator, where it can be skimmed off while the machine is running.

Sounds like classic confusion of density with viscosity. Which is heavier, oil or water?

I'm taking a class on children's literature. It's outside of my curriculum and doesn't count for my degree, but I thought it would be fun. I showed up for the first meeting to find nearly every student in the class had the same thought. We have history majors, art majors, a chemistry major, an engineer, culinary majors, etc. but no English majors that the class is designed for. We are having a blast. The professor is great and is rolling with it.
    Solfe

Sounds like classic confusion of density with viscosity. Which is heavier, oil or water?
    Yes indeed. I have seen the expression "heavy cream" in the labeling of dairy products, and it has everything to do with viscosity, not density. I knew from age 6 that cream rises to the top upon standing, and when I learned enough physics to understand a centrifuge, I understood the action in a cream separator perfectly.

From the Can dark matter kill you? thread:

I assume there is next to zero chance of dark matter ever AAAAUUUGGGHGHGH
    That's a copyright violation! You stole that AAAAUUUGGGHGHGH from Charles Schulz. It's Charlie Brown's classic line when Lucy pulls the football away!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Mmmmaybe.

Wilhelm Scream?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Thank you. That will be handy if I am killed by dark matter.

Wilhelm Scream?
    Yes, he sure does.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Remember, I'm the guy who didn't recognize Jennifer Lopez.
    Irrelevant. The important part is: did she recognize you?

Now JLO -and I don't mean Johnny Logan- hasn't aged in 30 years so you've had some time to recognize her.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Who is Jennifer Lopez, someone new on the block.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This is from the disease and pandemics thread:

Well, in milder cases a poke in the eye would be "effective". People just get better in a few days, no matter what they do in the meantime. ...
    That reminded me of the time I got sick while in college. My semester fees included visits to the campus clinic, so I went there. The doctor examined me and proclaimed, "You have a cold. I can write you a prescription for antibiotics, you can take them, and you'll be well in two weeks. Or, you can go home, drink fluids, get some rest and you'll be well in 14 days. Your call."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That reminded me of the time I got sick while in college. My semester fees included visits to the campus clinic, so I went there. The doctor examined me and proclaimed, "You have a cold. I can write you a prescription for antibiotics, you can take them, and you'll be well in two weeks. Or, you can go home, drink fluids, get some rest and you'll be well in 14 days. Your call."
    Back when I was an EMT on a college rescue squad, we always had a significant number of calls that we'd call "mommy calls". They were usually from freshmen, who were away from home for the first time, had a cold or something similar, and didn't have mommy around to tell them what to do and how to get better.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Back when I was an EMT on a college rescue squad, we always had a significant number of calls that we'd call "mommy calls". They were usually from freshmen, who were away from home for the first time, had a cold or something similar, and didn't have mommy around to tell them what to do and how to get better.
    We will not dis man colds, however. Those are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    This is from the disease and pandemics thread:

Here in Canada paying for the doctor isn't the problem but at times paying for prescriptions when you are student can be a challenge. One time I tried to get an asthma prescription refilled in a different province then it was prescribed to me by my family doctor in home province. I had to get a doctor there to get the same prescription. The next summer I realized I needed anti-depressants so I waited to get back to the school in the other province to see a doctor about it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We will not dis man colds, however. Those are the worst.
    Actually, woman colds are the worst. Medical fact.
    They're exactly like man colds, except the affected person comes to work, coughs on everyone, and says repeatedly, "Oooooh, I feel terrible. If I was a man I'd be off work."

Grant Hutchison

Actually, woman colds are the worst. Medical fact.
    They're exactly like man colds, except the affected person comes to work, coughs on everyone, and says repeatedly, "Oooooh, I feel terrible. If I was a man I'd be off work."
    You win.

Today YouTube suggested for me a video of a "Gillian's diamonds lamp" from Big Clive. Well how was I going to say no to that? I'd like to think it was because I've watched other videos of Clive's; rather than they've been monitoring me on this forum. But you never know.
    Anyhow, here it is. Jump ahead to about 48 minutes for the results, unless you're up for about a half hour of a gay Scotsman soldering.

I find Clive's voice and accent extremely soothing. Except he pronounces "Gillian" with a hard "G". Is that usual in the UK?

... Except he pronounces "Gillian" with a hard "G". Is that usual in the UK?
    My mother's maiden name was Gillian, hard G.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board