Page 341 of 346 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,230 of 10372

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Remember when 640k was enough for anyone? I have just received a 2TB disk drive as a gift. It would fit in my pocket. I doubt if we have that much data on all devices combined. I don't expect it cost all that much.
    Does it tend to run hot?

https://wccftech.com/microsd-melts-nintendo-switch/

Well, it's an actual disk drive rather than a card so shouldn't have that problem! Also much less than the $400 quoted in the article; about $60.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Well, it's an actual disk drive rather than a card so shouldn't have that problem! Also much less than the $400 quoted in the article; about $60.
    Greatly relieved to hear that, thank you.

Remember when 640k was enough for anyone? I have just received a 2TB disk drive as a gift. It would fit in my pocket. I doubt if we have that much data on all devices combined. I don't expect it cost all that much.
    I think I've mentioned this before, but it still stuns me.

The highest selling computer ever was the Commodore 64, at up to 17 million sold. If each of those were still running, and had a "sleep mode", the memory state of every single one of them could be stored uncompressed on just 3 x 2 TB devices. If those SD cards, they'd be smaller than the shift key on one C64.

(The C64 memory map was "awkward", I've assumed 48k per machine.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I think I've mentioned this before, but it still stuns me.

The highest selling computer ever was the Commodore 64, at up to 17 million sold.
    I realize that this is a bit tricky, but although iPhones and other smartphones are technically classified at mobile phones, the reality of how many people (in my case, certainly) use them is more akin to a computer than a phone. I think I actually use my iPhone as a phone once every couple of weeks, and the rest of the time I am using the browser, notepad, email software, Tapatalk, and games just like on my computer. In that case, the Nokia 1100 apparently sold 250 million devices, and the iPhone 6 sold 220 million.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I realize that this is a bit tricky, but although iPhones and other smartphones are technically classified at mobile phones, the reality of how many people (in my case, certainly) use them is more akin to a computer than a phone. I think I actually use my iPhone as a phone once every couple of weeks, and the rest of the time I am using the browser, notepad, email software, Tapatalk, and games just like on my computer. In that case, the Nokia 1100 apparently sold 250 million devices, and the iPhone 6 sold 220 million.
    Fair point.

In that case, the highest selling computer that doesn't also have a phone built in.

I used to stand in the portable hard drive aisle of my local Best Buy wondering how many of the computer I learned to use a computer on (an Apple II, I recall) you'd have to string together to get the processing power and memory you could now hold in the palm of your hand, and some years ago I stopped--because I realized the answer had become "they didn't make that many."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The pharmacy that I recently went to for a vaccine also has something called a "Minute Clinic", which I'd guess is some kind of reduced-functionality urgent care facility.
    The sign-in screen said that the wait time was over five hours.

In their defense, they didn't specify *which* minute.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The pharmacy that I recently went to for a vaccine also has something called a "Minute Clinic", which I'd guess is some kind of reduced-functionality urgent care facility.
    The sign-in screen said that the wait time was over five hours.

In their defense, they didn't specify *which* minute.
    Was it a very small clinic?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That's one possibility.

Or perhaps it means that once you wait five yours, you only get to talk to the doctor for one minute.

Or perhaps that the doctor is very fastidious.
    As above, so below

Grant Hutchison
    It looked to be about the size of the confessional at my local Catholic church, so you may be on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew on Christmas day the supermarkets would be closed, so I took my son to use the cars park of one, to do parallel parking practice.

While we were there, 5 cars drove in, saw the supermarket was closed, and drove off.

Are all the supermarkets closed there? Here, some stores have limited hours, some have light staffing, but plenty of stores remain open.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Today I saw two trucks, one behind the other, waiting their turns to be checked in by the guards at our local military installation. Both had "Rhino" in their company names. The first one was Blue Rhino, delivering and picking up propane cylinders. The second one was Lost Rhino Brewing Company, a local brewery, delivering beer. How is that for a coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Today I saw two trucks, one behind the other, waiting their turns to be checked in by the guards at our local military installation. Both had "Rhino" in their company names. The first one was Blue Rhino, delivering and picking up propane cylinders. The second one was Lost Rhino Brewing Company, a local brewery, delivering beer. How is that for a coincidence?
    And I bet that the trucks only had one horn.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Are all the supermarkets closed there? Here, some stores have limited hours, some have light staffing, but plenty of stores remain open.
    In Western New York, most stores close on one day a week and holidays due to blue laws. Generally they are meant to restrict alcohol sales, but they are super weird. All kinds of exceptions and special rules, like if you sell the makings of a sandwich, you can stay open. If you actually make sandwiches to order, you have to close. Premade sandwiches are a gray area. Which one takes priority depends on what your business is like.

There is a song by Matt and Kim called Get It, which repeatedly refers to 1 AM. I had no idea what the significance of 1 AM was until I started to travel. Generally, that time is last call in bars. Except for Buffalo, NY. In Buffalo, it's 4 am. First call is 8 AM. When I was younger, it was totally legit to order 4 pitchers of beer at 3:55 AM and wait until the 8 AM first call. I'm not sure if that is still true. It's been a while since I've had that kind of energy/stupid.

A few years ago, I did managed to do the "Jim's Run". That's when you stay out until the bars close at 4 AM, then go to Jim's Steakout for a steak hoagie before reporting to work. That used to be my "usual" activity until age 25. Then I wised up and slowed down. Now, for the most part, I don't drink.
    Solfe

On the topic of Blue Laws, I worked as a cashier in a New Jersey supermarket in the late 1970s/ early 80s. We had a couple aisles that were gated off on Sunday. IIRC, they included things like makeup.

At some point, a bill to repeal the blue laws was being considered, and the stores decided to very aggressively enforce them to “encourage public support”.

I specifically remember the store manager explaining it was illegal to sell batteries to a very displeased customer.

The laws were repealed shortly thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Trivial Things That Amaze Me department, I had no idea Blue Laws were still a thing anywhere in the USA.

ETA: I just found this in Wikipedia:
    Florida
    Several counties prohibit the sale of alcohol and sex toys on Sunday and during certain hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Been away a bit sorry (trip into bush to try out a cheap hammock, and tramping pack, I bought separately about a month ago off one of those "today's sale" websites).

Yes, all supermarkets will be closed that day; pretty much everything (there's even no commercials/ads on free to air T.V.), though some "essentials" will keep running - like hotels, and petrol (gas) stations.

We have other days when trading is restricted (e.g. some days in Easter, and ANZAC day), but Christmas is the main one.

e.g. off their website: "Wellington Zoo is open 364 days a year" (I presume 365 on a leap year!)

The fun one is Easter Sunday. Not a public holiday, but a day of shopping restrictions. It's traditional for gardening shops to have sales on Easter weekend, and traditional for them to be fined. (e.g. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bet...r-trading-laws )

(Rules: https://www.employment.govt.nz/leave...-trading-days/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    On the topic of Blue Laws, I worked as a cashier in a New Jersey supermarket in the late 1970s/ early 80s. We had a couple aisles that were gated off on Sunday. IIRC, they included things like makeup.

At some point, a bill to repeal the blue laws was being considered, and the stores decided to very aggressively enforce them to “encourage public support”.

I specifically remember the store manager explaining it was illegal to sell batteries to a very displeased customer.

The laws were repealed shortly thereafter.
    When I was a kid in Oklahoma the state was dry … no legal alcohol sales. Of course, everyone who wanted liquor knew a bootlegger or three, so no one really cared. The state had fairly regular referendums to repeal prohibition, but they always drew strong opposition from the churches and failed at the ballot box.

Then Gov. (IIRC) Edmondson decided to play hardball. He cracked down on bootleggers and after six months Oklahoma was really, truly dry. The next repeal referendum passed easily.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

That most of the year it is kind of looked down at to stay up late at night except for a few nights a year like in a couple of days because we think it matters when the New Year starts.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That most of the year it is kind of looked down at to stay up late at night except for a few nights a year like in a couple of days because we think it matters when the New Year starts.
    That's in Canada, though. In other places it is actually possible to say up late on a school night without the police coming to check why your lights are still on.

Grant Hutchison

My friends went to Morrisville, NY for college. It was a dry town, but arranged very oddly. There was a gas station which looked like it was on the main drag of the town, but was not actually in the town. They sold beer.

Morrisville has a population of about 2,000 and no legal way to purchase alcohol. There was very little reason to keep statistics on alcohol consumption in the town, except for criminal matters.

Because of the college in town, that little gas station appeared to sell enough beer for everyone in town many times over. The criminal statistics for alcohol related issues made the place seem like Mos Eisley, a hive of scum and villainy. The college newspaper liked to amp up the alcohol issues. It's actually a fairly beautify, calm place.
    Solfe

That's in Canada, though. In other places it is actually possible to say up late on a school night without the police coming to check why your lights are still on.
    There's still a prevalent attitude that staying up late is something only wild partying young adults do, and "grown-ups" go to be early, except on New Year's Eve. As someone whose natural sleep pattern tends toward seeing two 1:00s in a day, it's always made me roll my eyes--especially since I wasn't a wild partier even when I was a young adult.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's still a prevalent attitude that staying up late is something only wild partying young adults do, and "grown-ups" go to be early, except on New Year's Eve. As someone whose natural sleep pattern tends toward seeing two 1:00s in a day, it's always made me roll my eyes--especially since I wasn't a wild partier even when I was a young adult.
    My is kind of the same, I think it goes back to as a kid when I had asthma attacks at night.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Tomorrow night, new years eve, we will go to bed at 10:20 just like always. And get up at 6:30 next morning, just like always. It's controlled by my wife's medication schedule.

Tomorrow night, new years eve, we will go to bed at 10:20 just like always. And get up at 6:30 next morning, just like always. It's controlled by my wife's medication schedule.
    My goal for NYE is to try to stay awake to 10:20...or even 9:30

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There's still a prevalent attitude that staying up late is something only wild partying young adults do, and "grown-ups" go to be early, except on New Year's Eve.
    Yes, the USA goes to bed even earlier than Canada, on average. But Spaniards are generally just getting around to eating dinner at a time when most of North America would want to be in bed. There are lots of places in the world where being up past midnight on any given day is no big deal, whatever your age.

Grant Hutchison

Is that because of the American Ben Franklin's adage, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise"?

I'm usually in bed by nine-thirty, up around four, but that's only because I try to head for work by five am to beat traffic. And of course, that's my schedule even on days I don't have to drive to work.

Yes, the USA goes to bed even earlier than Canada, on average. But Spaniards are generally just getting around to eating dinner at a time when most of North America would want to be in bed. There are lots of places in the world where being up past midnight on any given day is no big deal, whatever your age.

Grant Hutchison
    Argentina was like that as well, when I was there on business. Restaurants opened at 9:00 PM. And then the airline mechanics we were working with were at work at 6:00.