Page 343 of 345 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345 LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,290 of 10343

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Ax Grant said her instant reaction on camera was very good. She and the cameraman had apparently known each other for many years and he was obviously confident of her ability to handle the leg-pull. She demonstrated that she could take a joke at he own expense and thus she has instantly endeared herself to most Australians. For the rest of her time in Australia all doors will be open to her. She may be greeted with a silly joke but everyone, from high to low, will be happy to chat with her.
    So basically more popular than the P.M.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    So basically more popular than the P.M.
    Well that is not much of an achievement

On surveying crews the practical joke involved plumb bob oil. The crew chief would remark that he'd forgotten to oil the plumb bob and send the rookie looking for it.

One crew tried that and got … mixed results. They were running lines through the Hill Country. The weather was typical for Central Texas in the summer - hot. They'd just walked two miles to the start of the line, and the crew chief had the rookie go back to the truck for plumb bob oil.

When he hadn't returned after two hours the crew got worried. They hiked back to the truck only to find him sitting in the cab with the a/c on full. He said, "Hey, guys. It took awhile but I finally found it." And he held up a small bottle filled with brown liquid. The bottle had a hand scrawled label, "Plumb Bob Oil."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming any kind of knowledge of her actual feelings on the matter. Nor am I saying or even implying anything negative about her at all.

My point is simply that saying "I wish you wouldn't have done that" to someone who has already done something is a lot harder than saying "I wish you wouldn't do that" to someone who asks your approval beforehand. This is especially true if you're a good-natured, kind-hearted person - and it's especially true if the person doing the thing is someone you consider a friend. And, now that I think about it, it's especially true if the thing is publicly known, and your disapproval would be as well.

All we know is that she's giving the impression of being okay with something that was done without her explicit permission. I hope she actually is okay with it, but I'd be quite a bit more confident that she is if she had actually given her approval before it was done.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm not claiming any kind of knowledge of her actual feelings on the matter. Nor am I saying or even implying anything negative about her at all.

My point is simply that saying "I wish you wouldn't have done that" to someone who has already done something is a lot harder than saying "I wish you wouldn't do that" to someone who asks your approval beforehand. This is especially true if you're a good-natured, kind-hearted person - and it's especially true if the person doing the thing is someone you consider a friend. And, now that I think about it, it's especially true if the thing is publicly known, and your disapproval would be as well.

All we know is that she's giving the impression of being okay with something that was done without her explicit permission. I hope she actually is okay with it, but I'd be quite a bit more confident that she is if she had actually given her approval before it was done.
    While taking your point, I think Edward's situation is rather different from the average punter who finds that someone has posted video of their embarrassing behaviour to YouTube, without their consent.
    Edward is a television journalist, who has chosen to make a living by performing on camera, and who knows going in that at some point she will do or say something that she'd rather not have shared, but which will nevertheless be shared - that will have been made explicit in a contract she signed, describing her rights (or lack thereof) over her recorded performances. And those legal rights will have constrained the camera operator and her employers, too.

Her own employer has posted the video on its public feed (so clearly sees this as being part of the job she's being paid to do), and meanwhile Edward has given an interview on Australian television in which she used the incident as a stepping stone letting her highlight what a difficult job the people at Kangaroo Island are doing.

Grant Hutchison

::sigh::

My initial comment was in response to ozduck, who said, "...she was a good enough sport to allow it to be uploaded onto the net..."

She didn't allow it - not only was it uploaded without getting her permission, they didn't even tell her beforehand.

Your post just makes it even more explicit that she really wouldn't have had a choice even if they did ask. Everything you've said only makes it more obvious to me that she would likely feel obligated to pretend to be okay with it, even if she really isn't okay with it.

In fact, ozduck's linked article says, "[Freelance video producer Sean Mulcahy] said Ms Edwards was 'mortified' when he told her he had posted the video to social media, but she 'copped it on the chin for the team' to help the fundraising effort."

The woman's a good sport, all right, and has earned my respect - but it was an unkind thing that was done to her.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    ::sigh::
    And ::sigh:: right back at you.
    I did say I took your point.

Grant Hutchison

Watching the College Football Championship game last night, I was struck by one odd aspect. The announcers frequently employed the team nicknames. E.g., “Looks like the Tigers were offside.” “If the Tigers don’t convert this third down, they’ll have to punt.” “One back and two tight ends for the Tigers.” That sort of thing is okay most of the time, as an alternative to saying “Clemson”” or “L.S.U.” again and again.

However in this particular game, both teams were “Tigers”!

Aren’t those announcers supposed to be professionals? They may be loyal to the local team, but should be avoiding ambiguity.
    The circumstances were somewhat unusual, but not unheard of. There are numerous name duplications amongst the dozens and dozens of colleges competing at this level, so you're inevitably going to see Eagles vs Eagles or Wildcats vs Wildcats.

The Tigers won, by the way. But I knew that would happen a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Watching the College Football Championship game last night, I was struck by one odd aspect. The announcers frequently employed the team nicknames. E.g., “Looks like the Tigers were offside.” “If the Tigers don’t convert this third down, they’ll have to punt.” “One back and two tight ends for the Tigers.” That sort of thing is okay most of the time, as an alternative to saying “Clemson”” or “L.S.U.” again and again.

However in this particular game, both teams were “Tigers”!

Aren’t those announcers supposed to be professionals? They may be loyal to the local team, but should be avoiding ambiguity.
    The circumstances were somewhat unusual, but not unheard of. There are numerous name duplications amongst the dozens and dozens of colleges competing at this level, so you're inevitably going to see Eagles vs Eagles or Wildcats vs Wildcats.

The Tigers won, by the way. But I knew that would happen a couple of weeks ago.
    Sort of a similar situation, but since I live in Japan, sometimes the English names used for stores and the like can be a bit funky. And there is an Italian restaurant in our neighborhood that is called "Home." So when we say, "Shall we eat at home tonight" we can never know if we mean home or the restaurant.
    As above, so below

I like my Google Home, but sometimes it has gremlins.

Hey, Google. Play something by Randy Newman.
    Right! Playing Thunderkiss, '65, by White Zombie.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I like my Google Home, but sometimes it has gremlins.

Remember gremlins are like internet trolls,
    Don't get them wet
    Don't feed them after midnight (for internet trolls do not feed at all)
    And don't expose them to bright light.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

It's always after midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    It's always after midnight.
    Playing After Midnight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvxJ0TVvVzE
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

All I know the later the hour I deal with them the crankier I get.

Recent conversation between a friend and his phone:
    "Hey, Siri, play us something cool and groovy."
    "I'm sorry, I can't find something cool and groovy in your music collection."
    (Fair comment, to be honest.)

Grant Hutchison

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

The Yahoo finance website mixes news stories with ads. At first glance, you can’t tell the difference.

The other day I spotted one with a headline saying something like “Analyst reveals go to stock to fund retirement.”

What a brilliant idea. You buy a bunch of some cheap stock, then purchase a Yahoo ad hyping it while pretending to be an analysis.

The suckers drive the price up, and you sell. Presto, you’ve funded your retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The Yahoo finance website mixes news stories with ads. At first glance, you can’t tell the difference.

The other day I spotted one with a headline saying something like “Analyst reveals go to stock to fund retirement.”

What a brilliant idea. You buy a bunch of some cheap stock, then purchase a Yahoo ad hyping it while pretending to be an analysis.

The suckers drive the price up, and you sell. Presto, you’ve funded your retirement.
    Known as a pump and dump scam. There are laws against this, but...

The current eruption is far from trivial, but this sentence from the Wikipedia article on Taal Volcano is kind of hilarious:
    Therefore, Taal had an island within a lake, that is on an island within a lake, that is on an island within the sea: Vulcan Point Island was within Main Crater Lake, which is on Volcano Island.
    Note the past tense, as the first island and lake in all probability no longer exist.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I had my own local version of that.

On the west side of Orlando FL, I saw a sign that read "Park Lake Park." Indeed, it was a city park, and the city subdivision was probably called "Park Lake."

There was a body of water within, which I immediately assumed was the Park Lake Park Lake.

And, there was a small parking lot adjacent to the water. I now realize that if I parked there, I could say that I was in a Park Lake Park Lake parking space.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The current eruption is far from trivial, but this sentence from the Wikipedia article on Taal Volcano is kind of hilarious:

Note the past tense, as the first island and lake in all probability no longer exist.
    Now I am reading about volcanoes in Sagans' Pale Blue Dot.

Re Tigers vs Tigers: Heavyweight champion boxer Joe Louis once (1939) faced a title challenge from light-heavyweight champ John Henry Lewis. I wonder how the radio announcers handled that? In print, I can tell you that Louis won, but that wouldn't work in audio only.

That's got to happen now and again!

There are several teams in the Canadian Football league named rough riders.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There are several teams in the Canadian Football league named rough riders.
    Actually, two, but two out of nine teams isn't bad! There were the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West and the Ottawa Rough Riders in the East. Both teams kept their names after their competing leagues merged in the late '50s. They did play for the CFL championship in one Grey Cup game. They had informal nick-nacknames* ("Roughies" and "Riders" respectively), so that may be what they're called when matched up. Ottawa's team folded, and was replaced by one with a distinctive nickname (and then another).

*Apologies for that particular construction.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Actually, two, but two out of nine teams isn't bad! There were the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the West and the Ottawa Rough Riders in the East. Both teams kept their names after their competing leagues merged in the late '50s. They did play for the CFL championship in one Grey Cup game. They had informal nick-nacknames* ("Roughies" and "Riders" respectively), so that may be what they're called when matched up. Ottawa's team folded, and was replaced by one with a distinctive nickname (and then another).

*Apologies for that particular construction.
    Well the Saskatchwan Roughriders will be playing in Halifax at Huskie Stadium at SMU, where I attempted an astrophysics degree years ago. (No I am not a football fan just watching the news. )

I have a student that wails at the top of her lungs, daily. Cause, unknown. It bothers the staff and other students. We've check her out with nursing dozens of times, it could just be tired and frustrated. The student can't tell us why.

Today, one student complained about the crying. I quipped that we should all cry and see how long it takes the principal to show up. What started as a chuckle ended in 10 people, staff and students, belly laughing. When the principal showed up to see what the heck was going on, the student that was crying was laughing the hardest. I'll take it.
    Solfe

There is a TV commercial currently running, where Raccoons steal a garbage truck.

There is a disclaimer printed at the bottom stating “professional driver” and warning us to “do not attempt”.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    There is a TV commercial currently running, where Raccoons steal a garbage truck.

There is a disclaimer printed at the bottom stating “professional driver” and warning us to “do not attempt”.

No warning about training raccoons to drive heavy equipment? "Warning: Raccoons can't drive."

Here is a funny true story about "the wrong thing" with wildlife. I read my toddlers Watership Down because my daughter asked why I was reading a book with bunnies on the cover. They loved it.

In the middle of the months of reading, we went to a pet store that had rabbits. My son and daughter sprinted for the cages. My son ran head long into one cage. My daughter was 1 step behind him and swashed his face right up against the bars. He was so excited, instead of complaining, he belted out "How are you?"

My daughter thought the rabbit said it. "They talk!" she said.

My son said: "They do?"

The next fifteen minutes was hysterical as my kids smooshed their faces up against the bars and had this conversation "with" the rabbit. Neither one realized they were talking to each other. I was waiting for one of them to say "rabbit" or "bunny", which would have ended the game, but neither did.

A few years later, we went apple picking. The farm had rabbit hutches. My son Nate spent 20 minutes eyeing up the bunnies, waiting for them to talk. He was pretty sure they couldn't talk, but he wasn't entirely sure and had to ask. Instead of running with the gag, I matter-of-factly told him they didn't. He was really disappointed.
    Solfe

The last post leads to another funny rabbit story.

I took my class to the SPCA to see the animals. Some small animals make squeaking sounds that not everyone can hear or more correctly, identify. I had two students bolt from the rabbit cages because they were making noise. The adult staff thought I was joking when I said the rabbits were bothering the students.

Back at school, we had to look up "rabbit sounds" on Youtube back at school so the students could teach the staff what rabbits sound like. They really enjoyed the flipped lesson. We determined that all of the adults did hear the sounds rabbits made, but were unable to pinpoint the source of the sound as rabbits at the time. They didn't know or expect rabbits could make sounds.

Of course, this lead to the song: "What does the fox say?" which is the bane of every teacher's experience.
    Solfe

I pulled into the hospital parking lot yesterday and thought "Wait -- where's the truck from the blood bank?" It took me half a moment to remember I was there for something else this time.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

... we went to a pet store that had rabbits. My son and daughter sprinted for the cages. My son ran head long into one cage. ...
    Years - and years - ago we went to a pet store with our kids. Our son was maybe six at the time. He went to the back of the store to look around. A couple of minutes later we heard him crying out in pain. Naturally we rushed to his aid.

Turns out he had found a large cage with a large parrot in it. He tried talking to the parrot but it wouldn't talk back. So, in a fit of little boy pique, he stuck his tongue out at the bird.

But he was too close to the cage and the parrot stuck its beak through the bars and grabbed his tongue. And held on until we showed up to see what the fuss was.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board