Page 391 of 398 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,730 of 11912

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

This title amused me: "Neutron stars may not be as squishy as some scientists thought" (seen on ScienceNews)

Just the thought of neutron stars being "squishy" is amusing.

I missed the thread on Phi or the golden ratio. I find this concept of the golden ratio interesting, because it's something a person can reproduce with practice and without any math knowledge at all. An artist might utilize the golden ratio because it's pretty and useful. They can do it without proper tools. It's straight up repetition until they get someone that looks about right. Not to say every artist has no idea, but once you nail it freehand, the "nail" is a useful too.

I had a drafting teacher that had us reproduce all of those geometrical shapes that can't be constructed with an unmarked ruler and simple compass. The neighboring math students would freak out because there was one on every exam. We generally didn't know that these shapes are impossible to construct using simple tools, but we didn't have simple tools nor was the question ever phrased in that way. We'd get a lot of questions like: "Complete this diagram", not "calculate transcendentals or irrational numbers completely". The math students didn't know what we were being asked to do and assumed it was a lot more complicated than "complete this drawing".
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I missed the thread on Phi or the golden ratio.
    It is only supposed to be temporarily closed while the OP is on suspension, so keep watching if you’re interested. Mind you, I have my doubts the thread will go anywhere when/if the OP comes back. (There has been lots of “look at this,” not so much “here is my testable hypothesis/argument”).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    It is only supposed to be temporarily closed while the OP is on suspension, so keep watching if you’re interested. Mind you, I have my doubts the thread will go anywhere when/if the OP comes back. (There has been lots of “look at this,” not so much “here is my testable hypothesis/argument”).
    The Romans were very prolific plagiarists. If the Greeks or the Egyptians had knowledge, the Romans were probably using it to build something or other. To the Romans, building something was half of their "philosophy". The other half alternated between marching an army and feeding an army. If they had been able to express all three ideas at once, they would have been dangerous. Et quidquid latine dictum sit, videtur mundanis. lol.
    Solfe

I saw a Segway in the wild today! Probably only the second or third one ever. Cool.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I saw a Segway in the wild today! Probably only the second or third one ever. Cool.
    As they will shortly be ceasing production (in July) it will soon be an endangered species inn the wild! I have only seen them over here as 'tourist transports' in the inner city.

The marketing genius that called something "medium xl". It's a garbage truck, but still.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I remember when they were going to change everything.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I've never ridden a Segway, and I still wonder why they didn't become more popular. (I was going to say, "why they didn't take off" but I figured someone would reply with snark.) They seem to be useful in limited situations. No, they don't replace automobiles, but neither do golf carts or bicycles.

I've read things here and there that mentioned the Segway was a victim's of the founder's ego-driven refusal to face facts, a textbook example of how not to run a business (like John Delorean and Bernie Ebbers). But I don't see it.

I wonder if their lack of popularity has anything to do with the owner of the Segway company dying in an accident several years ago, when he went off a cliff on a Segway.

I suspect the fact that they didn’t really fit-in on city sidewalks or streets was a factor. Although, how much worse could they be than NYC bicycle messengers?

I’ve only seen them used by the local police at a holiday fireworks display. That seemed like a good fit. It could move across the field rapidly, and elevated the officer for a better view of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    I wonder if their lack of popularity has anything to do with the owner of the Segway company dying in an accident several years ago, when he went off a cliff on a Segway.
    Certainly changed his life! Mind you, he wasn't the original developer, just a guy who'd bought the company then bought the farm, so to speak. Dean Kamen is still with us.
    It occurred to me as I watched the guy yesterday that a bike helmet would probably have been a good idea.

ETA: Looking up the guy who rode off the cliff has led me to learn that Wikipedia has a List of Unusual Deaths. Because of course it does. The many lists are probably my favorite thing about Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-May-05 at 02:55 PM.

Another thread here reminded me of something funny about a place I once lived at...

This was for a seasonal job in the middle of a forest, where the employer housed us on-site. The nearest town was several miles away and had no stop signs inside the town. (There might not even have been any traffic signs at all except speed limits and the ones to warn you that the bridge in the middle of town had only one lane.) But, another few miles outside the town in another direction, there was a junction of two two-lane county roads, with stop signs in all four directions. If you were going into or out of that town, or just about anywhere else for dozens of miles around, you were probably going through that intersection. To the people living in the area, that "four-way-stop" intersection was often called just "the four-way"... which elementary school kids put in writing as "the Forway". To them, there was nothing else like it for the same word(s) to apply to, so it was not just a noun but a proper noun, a name, so it was to be capitalized.

Never seen any Segways but heard a few.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Never seen any Segways but heard a few.

From my observations, the potential market share of Segways has been completely replaced by electric scooters.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

But they were going to change the world! CHANGE THE WORLD!!!

ETA: Looking up the guy who rode off the cliff has led me to learn that Wikipedia has a List of Unusual Deaths. Because of course it does. The many lists are probably my favorite thing about Wikipedia.
    I forget how and why I stumbled upon their list of fictional apes, but it definitely amused me. I will say that their list of sports films is very bad--what is considered a "sports film" is erratic.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

But they were going to change the world! CHANGE THE WORLD!!!
    They gave us something to mock, that's a good change.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I forget how and why I stumbled upon their list of fictional apes, but it definitely amused me. I will say that their list of sports films is very bad--what is considered a "sports film" is erratic.
    Same with “Disaster Films”, it doesn’t distinguish fiction and non-fiction films in any way.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I will say that their list of sports films is very bad--what is considered a "sports film" is erratic.
    When they list Spaceballs as a sports film, you'll know they've really lost their way.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

There is a longstanding joke that fusion energy has been, and always will be, 20 years away*.

This morning, I stumbled across a radio program about energy. They interviewed a scientist who is working on fusion.
    He said that, if the world made a concerted effort, we could have mainstream fusion energy in... 20 years.

*It's a lot like Dippin' Dots. "The ice cream of the future since 1988."
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2021-May-09 at 01:19 AM.

While cleaning out the closet to make more room for stuff that took out a while ago a found an old Physics society hat.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

24. 2021-May-09, 05:30 AM

While cleaning out the closet to make more room for stuff that took out a while ago a found an old Physics society hat.
    If you real physicists are going to wear your physicist hats, I won't be able to understand anything here!

A while back, I found my (train) engineer’s cap in the closet. When I graduated college, everyone in the small EE class wore them following the graduation ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    There is a longstanding joke that fusion energy has been, and always will be, 20 years away*.

This morning, I stumbled across a radio program about energy. They interviewed a scientist who is working on fusion.
    He said that, if the world made a concerted effort, we could have mainstream fusion energy in... 20 years.

*It's a lot like Dippin' Dots. "The ice cream of the future since 1988."
    There’s a fairly recent book with the cover blurb “Soccer: America’s Sport of the Future Since 1975!” (Of course, the mass adoption of soccer as a popular sport in this country in the past half-century actually has been noticeable.)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    There’s a fairly recent book with the cover blurb “Soccer: America’s Sport of the Future Since 1975!” (Of course, the mass adoption of soccer as a popular sport in this country in the past half-century actually has been noticeable.)
    My impression (which is quite possibly horribly out of date) was that soccer/football was actually quite popular among young Americans in school, but its popularity declines as they move into high school and then the uni/college.

Strictly anecdotal. I didn't collect statistics.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

And speaking of various versions of football----. This poor Goal Umpire (in yellow) was trying to see if the ball passed over the goal line in this clip. The opposition players in the dark colours were trying to stop it. The guy who jumped on his shoulders is not a small man - 200 cm (6'7") and 99 kg (218lb). Umpires are 'protected' but around the goal line it is pretty much a free for all.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...abba/100127774

I work in a call center with a staff of thousands. Every evening this person calls us just to pick a fight. It goes on for hours, at least from 7:30 pm or 8 to 11 pm. The caller has a ridiculous list of demands such as changing national network show times to their liking, or turning up or down the volume on the TV, or changing the channel for them. If you can't comply with the requests, the caller will declare the phone agent "useless" and launch into a tirade of name calling. They'll call right back or demand to be transferred to another department so the game can continue.

I've spoken to this person three times in the past week. So far it's been night I've worked. I simply don't rattle when these calls happen, I merely offer suggestions as to what the caller could do to solve the "problem". Every single suggestion I make is actionable and would meet the caller's demands. Yet they refuse to do it. The one difference between me and other agents is I end the call with, "If there is nothing else I can do for you, please have a good/great/excellent night." which causes this person to hang up on me. Angrily. I never suggest that they are being unreasonable or that the request is invalid. I also never say the caller's name, which can be a triggering event, especially if you sound disingenuous or "faux professional".

Tonight, the caller asked me if they spoke to me yesterday. I said, "I speak to a lot of people. I'm sorry, I don't remember everyone." I went right to the "if there is nothing else..." part of call in record time. It turns out that they didn't call back for the rest of the night. That was at 8 pm after she tore through 4 other people.

That amuses me.

Edit - It's kind of funny that someone would spend time coming up with scenarios that allow them to hop through a phone systems departments. When speaking to billing, the cable box is "broken" so they can get transferred to video repair. If it's video repair, they want to cancel the service, so it's retention. And so on. They have not been able to figure out "nothing else" is an ending they can't get out of without making something else up, which is actually very simple.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-May-10 at 05:06 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    My impression (which is quite possibly horribly out of date) was that soccer/football was actually quite popular among young Americans in school, but its popularity declines as they move into high school and then the uni/college.

Strictly anecdotal. I didn't collect statistics.
    Pretty much. It was largely considered a kid's game when I was growing up. The phrase "soccer Mom" referred to those who had to deliver their children to practice after school.