Page 392 of 398 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394 ... LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,760 of 11915

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Our cat chooses a place to spend the day sleeping. However, she likes to change it every two weeks or so. It can be anything from the corner of a room to the couch to a closet.

Prior to settling on her current spot, the sewing machine chair, she went on a recon mission an insisted we open several closets for inspection.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Our cat chooses a place to spend the day sleeping. However, she likes to change it every two weeks or so. It can be anything from the corner of a room to the couch to a closet.

Prior to settling on her current spot, the sewing machine chair, she went on a recon mission an insisted we open several closets for inspection.
    Our cat Maki does similar, though with her it is more rotating among 4 or 5 favorite spots, somewhat dependent upon the temperature in the house.

I think the behavior (as well as cats' love of small hiding places) relates to being a middle of the food chain predator. In the real world, such predators can also be preyed upon by larger predators, who see them as competitors or just as food. Thus, you don't want to always go to the same spot, as your competitors might figure out your routine.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The brown catbeast has lately decided to sleep on the bed in the guest room. That has upset the white-footed one, who has previously had that bed to herself. Brown kitty is very laid-back; will happily share any space. White-foot, not so much. Even though Brown is sleeping in a different corner of the bed.
    Lately I seem to spend half the day with White-foot meowing at me. I don't know what she wants. Neither does she.
    Note: I love both my kitties!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Last Tuesday was Taco Tuesday in the Viverito home. I typically make enough for lunch the next day. However, this time I went overboard and added a lot of fixings to the mix such as salads, guacamole, beans, lots of fresh veggies, etc. Every time I run out of x, I just need to make a little more. It's been taco week.

My family doesn't like guacamole. It's just me eating it. Or just avocados.

My son has a noticeable lack of attention to detail. He's put a container of guacamole in the microwave thinking it was taco meat. That does not smell nice. After three times I finally said, "Nate. You have broken the guacamole. Again." "Broken guacamole" got gales of laughter from the kids. My wife had to run from the table because whatever she had in her mouth was starting to come out her nose.

It's like I live in a Spongebob cartoon.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Last Tuesday was Taco Tuesday in the Viverito home. I typically make enough for lunch the next day. However, this time I went overboard and added a lot of fixings to the mix such as salads, guacamole, beans, lots of fresh veggies, etc. Every time I run out of x, I just need to make a little more. It's been taco week.

My son has a noticeable lack of attention to detail. He's put a container of guacamole in the microwave thinking it was taco meat. That does not smell nice. After three times I finally said, "Nate. You have broken the guacamole. Again." "Broken guacamole" got gales of laughter from the kids. My wife had to run from the table because whatever she had in her mouth was starting to come out her nose.

It explains why your house looks like a giant pineapple. What day of the week do you serve crabby patties?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The brown catbeast
    I like "catbeast". Overhere the only semi-official one is "cowbeast", and even that one is rarely used outside of old farmers' circles. But catbeast is very appropriate for some of the housetigers that frequent our garden.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

I'm entirely with your family on the avocados and guac. They just taste green. Also, do not try to make guac with an abogado by mistake.

I realized yesterday that Monday has become my favorite day of the week. Because the webcomics and such I've been missing all weekend have new updates.

Also, do not try to make guac with an abogado by mistake.
    Something something Girl Scout Cookies
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Also, do not try to make guac with an abogado by mistake.
    You just need a bigger blender.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I like "catbeast". Overhere the only semi-official one is "cowbeast", and even that one is rarely used outside of old farmers' circles. But catbeast is very appropriate for some of the housetigers that frequent our garden.
    We'll say "coobeastie" occasionally, as Terry Pratchett used it in the Nac Mac Feegle books.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

For Scottish farmers, a "beast" is a cow.
    I once gave a farmer's wife an epidural for her caesarean section. In general, birth partners sit with averted gaze during the surgical part of this procedure, occupying a role somewhere on a spectrum from slightly supportive to actively counterproductive. But as soon as surgery started the farmer let go of his wife's hand, strolled up behind the obstetrician, and peered into the depths of his wife's abdomen. Then he nodded seriously and came back to say to his wife, "You're just like a beast inside, woman."

Grant Hutchison

I saw a link to this, and liked it. You know how coyotes often go after domestic cats? Well . . .

https://twitter.com/PortMoodyPD/stat...20476739440640

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In general, birth partners sit with averted gaze during the surgical part of this procedure, occupying a role somewhere on a spectrum from slightly supportive to actively counterproductive.
    I was there for my first son's birth. My wife was in a state called "failure to progress" and everyone went to suit up for a c-section. The doctor was almost to the door and I took off my gown when my wife decided one last push was a good idea. I barely caught the baby. The doctor was there in a flash and finished everything up. He had on gloves and a business suit because he took off his covers, too. It was less than optimal but was probably my most effective moment on planet Earth. To be honest, a lot of wild stuff happened during those few seconds but I didn't drop the baby which was probably a miracle of some sort.

My least effective moment was when my daughter was born. She was delivered by c-section. And just as you would expect, I was stationed at her head. I could only peek past the curtain with the greatest of difficultly. What little I saw seemed interesting until the moment my wife cracked a joke and giggled like she was at a cocktail party. My knees immediately folded and if I hadn't been sitting, I would have been face down on the floor. Even with the help of the chair, I had a hard time staying off the floor. And she kept laughing the whole time. It was totally unnerving and my least effective moment.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We'll say "coobeastie" occasionally, as Terry Pratchett used it in the Nac Mac Feegle books.
    And, interestingly, "coobeast" would be exactly the way it's pronounced in a lot of Flemish farmer's dialects.

There are three cats sitting on our trampoline. We have no cats.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I once gave a farmer's wife an epidural for her caesarean section. In general, birth partners sit with averted gaze during the surgical part of this procedure, occupying a role somewhere on a spectrum from slightly supportive to actively counterproductive. But as soon as surgery started the farmer let go of his wife's hand, strolled up behind the obstetrician, and peered into the depths of his wife's abdomen. Then he nodded seriously and came back to say to his wife, "You're just like a beast inside, woman."

Grant Hutchison
    I stayed on the happy side of the curtain, but my wife became -with permission- the subject of study as apparently a certain muscle which I've never heard of is hard to see in most people but textbook clear in her. Given that the study only took a few seconds and we both prefer well trained doctors over poorly trained doctors, we happily obliged. Plus she was drugged senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    When they list Spaceballs as a sports film, you'll know they've really lost their way.
    My son Nate is a comedian. He can say anything with a straight face. However, Spaceballs throws him over the edge with gales of belly laughter. It's almost a sport watching him watch Spaceballs.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I saw a link to this, and liked it. You know how coyotes often go after domestic cats? Well . . .

https://twitter.com/PortMoodyPD/stat...20476739440640
    Cool.
    I've heard stories of coyotes going after cats, but I've only heard of coyotes being successful against tiny dogs, chickens, and rabbits (among domesticated animals).
    Every time I've seen a cat-canine fight, the cat has held their own, except when it is multiple dogs.
    My impression is that coyotes are not particularly vicious, except when defending the area around their dens, where their pups are.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've heard stories of coyotes going after cats, but I've only heard of coyotes being successful against tiny dogs, chickens, and rabbits (among domesticated animals).
    Unless we're talking about Wile E. Coyote.

My childhood was a lie. Coyotes are faster than roadrunners.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Unless we're talking about Wile E. Coyote.
    Yes, but he's a genius.

Yes, but he's a genius.
    Thanks to Acme technical support.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    On my model railroad, one of the industries is Acme Products (world's finest producer of road runner catching devices). I also have the Avogadro Chemical Company, located at 602 E 23rd Street.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    OSHA should've put them out of business years ago.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

On my model railroad, one of the industries is Acme Products (world's finest producer of road runner catching devices). I also have the Avogadro Chemical Company, located at 602 E 23rd Street.
    That just about made my day!
    Oh, and pictures, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Something something Girl Scout Cookies
    Shhhh, don’t use that phrase around Grant, you know what happened last time.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

My late mother (this would have been her 101st birthday) spent much of her life associated with the Girl Scouts. Worked for them for many years. She HATED the cookie sale. Always problems. Most commonly, the volunteer who "borrowed" the money that came in; and for the same reasons she needed to "borrow" it, couldn't pay it back.

That reminds me, I had heard of Andy Weir years before he wrote The Martian because he earlier wrote a webcomic called Casey and Andy. The comic is a mixed bag - the drawings aren’t the best, humor and language can be a bit juvenile and some topics would very likely be offensive to some people (for instance, he doesn’t take religion seriously and I get the impression he doesn’t care much for it either - Satan is the girlfriend of one of the characters).

But there are some fun characters, like Don Cindy. She is a girl scout, and you WILL buy cookies or face the wrath of the Girl Scout Mafia. I get the feeling Weir had been pressured into buying them a few too many times.

Here’s the link if you’re curious - there are a lot of science fiction and fantasy themes, and it doesn’t take itself seriously at all, but remember my warning.

http://www.galactanet.com/comic/view.php?strip=1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

This reminds of that one scene in Friends where Ross had to sell girl scout cookies but lost because another girl gave her scout uniform to her 19yo sister who went to the USS Nimitz and sold 2000 boxes.

That just about made my day!
    Oh, and pictures, please.
    Ok, since you asked so nicely.

Acme is just an ordinary factory, but with the sign I made (I particularly like how the rocket came out). The chemical plant is a work in progress. I have the distillation tower / flare tower complex done and one small building. Still working on other parts.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZpsmADQSBnoha8ZGA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eqbnS7zG7HeEqHyx7

Thank you! And I love the bay-window caboose, too. I miss seeing cabooses. Cabeese. Whatever.