Page 388 of 391 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390 ... LastLast
Results 11,611 to 11,640 of 11715

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I've never been to Minor Britain.
    That'd be Brittany.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That'd be Brittany.
    When's her next album come out?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Speaking of being famous locally: I'm from Europe and I once visited a karaoke bar in Australia on Australia Day. Yes, the town was so interesting that this was the best pasttime to be had. Anyway, so interesting to see the whole crowd singing (well...) away on Bryan Adams and then even more enthusiastic to a song I'd never, ever heard. World famous in Australia.

Similar experience when I went to see OMD in Germany. Apparently they had one more hit single in Germany than in Belgium...Confused looks.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    When's her next album come out?
    Did I wander into some sort of Random Association thread by accident?

Grant Hutchison

No, random association was more a Cobain thing than a Spears thing.

(somebody get this back on whatever was the topic before Grant starts to question us, or worse, himself...)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    (somebody get this back on whatever was the topic before Grant starts to question us, or worse, himself...)
    How is this even remotely my doing? I asked an honest question about the Adele-who-didn't-know-she-was-famous; I clarified that the Redditgate person was a minor British public figure; and I pointed out that Minor Britain is a real place. I've been the calm, reasonable eye at the centre of a hurricane of bizarre free-association.

Grant Hutchison

I know that is true, you know that is true, but we outnumber you so democratically speaking the conclusion is that it's all your fault.

But to give an honest answer to an honest question: I guess only the really passionate fans would know Adele's last name. To the rest of the world, she's just Adele. For all I know, she might not even have a last name. Nor does she need one, as there is no other famous singer -for the same target audience- with the same first name. Poor Elvis Costello.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Poor Elvis Costello.
    Two-level reference. Nice. It amuses me.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I've been amused by recent posts in this thread.

But to give an honest answer to an honest question: I guess only the really passionate fans would know Adele's last name.
    My question was really "Who is this famous Adele of whom you speak?" But like an idiot, acting on the assumption that most people do actually have a second name, I compressed it into "Adele who?"

Now, given the apparent reluctance of anyone around here to just answer the bleedin' question, I've done what I should (obviously, in the light of experience) have done in the first place and looked her up. It turns out that there are a number of famous people called Adele, but the singer-songwriter who goes by the stage name "Adele" is Adele Adkins.

Not at all. My pleasure. You're all very welcome.

Grant Hutchison

I pointed out that Minor Britain is a real place.
    I thought that one was another joke.

Grant Hutchison
    Britney (sic) Spears is an American popular music performer. It was a minor joke.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Similar experience when I went to see OMD in Germany. Apparently they had one more hit single in Germany than in Belgium...Confused looks.
    You're talking about two songs that originally had the same title, right?
    As above, so below

I know that is true, you know that is true, but we outnumber you so democratically speaking the conclusion is that it's all your fault.

But to give an honest answer to an honest question: I guess only the really passionate fans would know Adele's last name. To the rest of the world, she's just Adele. For all I know, she might not even have a last name. Nor does she need one, as there is no other famous singer -for the same target audience- with the same first name. Poor Elvis Costello.
    There's someone else with the first name Elvis? Horrible name.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    http://www.dailyreptilenews.com/?p=1984

Elvis has since died though.
    And now he's walking around in shoes and socks, like a big shot.

My question was really "Who is this famous Adele of whom you speak?" But like an idiot, acting on the assumption that most people do actually have a second name, I compressed it into "Adele who?"

Now, given the apparent reluctance of anyone around here to just answer the bleedin' question, I've done what I should (obviously, in the light of experience) have done in the first place and looked her up. It turns out that there are a number of famous people called Adele, but the singer-songwriter who goes by the stage name "Adele" is Adele Adkins.

Not at all. My pleasure. You're all very welcome.

Grant Hutchison
    Things that amuse me: for a glorious short moment, Grant Hutchison of all people was likely the only person on Cosmoquest who knew the last name of Adele.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I thought that one was another joke.
    The peninsula of Britannia Minor (now Brittany); the island of Britannia Major (now Great Britain). In Roman times they were a cultural unit, sharing a common language (Common Brittonic).

Grant Hutchison

Things that amuse me: for a glorious short moment, Grant Hutchison of all people was likely the only person on Cosmoquest who knew the last name of Adele.
    I didn't even want to know what her last name is. I just wanted to know who she is. Solfe's post provided very little apparent traction for an internet search: there was someone called Adele, who didn't know she was famous, apparently despite taking European vacations, but then realized when she came to the USA and filled venues. It sounded like the plot of a Disney animated movie.

Then it just turned into a repeat of the whole "girl scout cookies" episode, with surreal sidebars offered instead of a coherent answer. (And at least watching people write "girl scout cookies" over and over again was amusing in itself, given the slang use of the word "cookies" of which I was aware.)

Grant Hutchison

I woke up to this thunderous roar. Someone was running around the house, the cats were screaming, the dog was barking at everything and my wife was shouting was "Go! Go!"

I ran to living room to see what was happening and find my wife trying to put a cat in a travel carrier while the animals tried to fight her off. "She needs a shot. We are going to the vet." I corralled the dog and helped her out the door. As the car drove away, noticed that there was music quietly playing. The song Go Go Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult.

That was a good laugh that got better when I realized my wife had it on auto repeat.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    There is a guy who calls himself Topol, which a call back to Clever's Fiddler on the Roof comment from a few days ago.
    Solfe

Then it just turned into a repeat of the whole "girl scout cookies" episode, with surreal sidebars offered instead of a coherent answer. (And at least watching people write "girl scout cookies" over and over again was amusing in itself, given the slang use of the word "cookies" of which I was aware.)
    I certainly thought I was giving a coherent answer. Obviously there was a communication issue because of what we find familiar or unfamiliar, and I had no way of knowing initially what you would need clarification on. Anyway, while the back and forth was interesting and somewhat amusing I often see things mentioned here that I don’t understand but are apparently familiar to British people. I just do a quick google search which almost always clears things up.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm somewhat amused by the recent turn of topic because my first name "derives from a Middle English surname meaning 'Briton' or 'Breton', referring to the Celtic people of Britain and Brittany, France."
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I ran to living room to see what was happening and find my wife trying to put a cat in a travel carrier while the animals tried to fight her off.
    That reminds me of the last time I took my cat to the vet. It was before the pandemic, and she had gotten bitten on her foot by another cat. She had hid it until it became infected and her limp became obvious.

It was the first time I had tried to get an adult cat in a carrier alone. Of course, although she has rarely been put in it, she immediately recognized the carrier when I brought it in. When I tried to put her in it, I had several instances of almost managing only to have her escape at the last minute. At one point I wasnít sure I would be able to manage it at all. I had even tried to partially dismantle the carrier to make it easier to put her in, but it just made it easier for her to escape. I finally turned it with the door/opening facing up, and was ultimately able to work her back feet in, then after that it was easier to keep her held down with one hand while removing her front paws from the outside with the other. It reminded me of an old (I think Looney Toons) animated show. The one good thing I can say is that she made no attempt to scratch or bite me. She is generally a very nice cat.

From then on it was simply a matter of listening to her moaning meow all the way to the vet, most of the time at the vet (where, of course, she developed a preference for the carrier) and all the way from the vet, but stopped instantly when I let her out at home.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just do a quick google search which almost always clears things up.
    Likewise. I very, very rarely ask factual questions here, either de novo or as a "matter arising", because I generally prefer to search out information for myself. And indeed, I have sometimes gently complained when people start a Q&A thread with a question that could be answered with about ten seconds of typing in a search engine. (But I still answer their question.)

Anyway, I explained at the time the reason why I certainly wasn't going to search on "girl scout cookies" without knowing more about said items; and I didn't search on Solfe's "Adele" because (in my ignorance of the person in question) there seemed to be very little useful information in Solfe's post on which to construct a search. It turns out that simply typing the name "Adele" into a search engine gives the right answer, but there was no way for me to know that without already knowing who she is.

<Shrug.> The weird diversions are of course amusing, but I think this marks the last time I'll ask a simple cultural question here, in the hope of receiving a simple declarative answer. Life is short, and the answers generally seem to turn out to be less interesting than I'd hoped.

Grant Hutchison

We used to be able to get the cat in the carrier by putting it on the floor with the door open and saying "Bunny, get in your carrier." Not so much, now that we only have one house and don't go back and forth frequently.
    There was a previous cat we couldn't get OUT of the carrier at the vet. Pick it up with the door downward and she was still stuck. I finally had to take the carrier apart. I had it almost all back together when my wife let go of the cat and I had to do it again.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Historically authentic?
    Since one of them features the image of the virus . . . .

Iíve heard that the Monty Python guys were astounded when they gave a live performance in the US, and the crowd shouted out the lines in their skits. I donít know if itís true.
    In that case, I believe the issue was that they hadn't known how many PBS stations in the US were playing their show.

And my turn for pedantry--Grant, "Girl Scout" is capitalized.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I’ve heard that the Monty Python guys were astounded when they gave a live performance in the US, and the crowd shouted out the lines in their skits. I don’t know if it’s true.
    I saw a live performance by them in New York City in (IIRC) the early 80s. They must have had it figured out by then, because they had sing-a-longs (with lyrics projected on a screen on the back of the stage) for several bits, such as the Lumberjack Song.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Grant Hutchison
    If anyone likes Random Association threads, that was the reason-for-being for this thread, and its predecessors, in Fun-n-Games.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And my turn for pedantry--Grant, "Girl Scout" is capitalized.
    Thank you. I see it was so on the original thread. I was misremembering and treating "Girl Scout" as if it had become a generonym.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm somewhat amused by the recent turn of topic because my first name "derives from a Middle English surname meaning 'Briton' or 'Breton', referring to the Celtic people of Britain and Brittany, France."
    Yeah. There's a fairly widespread perception that Britons call their country "Great Britain" because of some sort of pathetic post-imperial arrogance. But actually it's the retention of a very, very old xenonym. And the Romans certainly didn't think Britain was all that great.

(Hey, two -nyms in two posts. That doesn't happen often.)

Grant Hutchison