Page 360 of 362 FirstFirst ... 260310350358359360361362 LastLast
Results 10,771 to 10,800 of 10855

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm fond of our state flag. Rather than being symbolic in the typical sense, the stars on Alaska's flag represent the astronomical variety.
    I collected Alaskan flags when I was small because I loved astronomy, and the flag was so cool.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Our garage is still half full of miscellaneous boxes of stuff. Having sorted the office supplies, sort of, I'm starting on some of those. The one I was just working on was EXTREMELY miscellaneous. Clippings about dead relatives. Our wedding picture. Stuff from my desk at work. Stuff from my desk in the old house. And an old coin purse, containing two each of buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, and a mystery object. The mystery object is about the size of an old US silver dollar, heavy, lumpy on the surface, and heavily tarnished. With a hole in it, like someone was wearing it around their neck.
    I scrubbed it a little under plain water and used a lighted magnifier to determine that there was a date of 1878, talons of an eagle, and lettering that probably said "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". So I looked at wikipedia for dollar designs, but it didn't seem to work. Eventually I figured out it's a trade dollar. That's pretty cool, I've never seen one before. In EF condition, it would be worth more than US$500. In this condition, probably just the bullion, which appears to be about $15.
    Any suggestions on how to clean it without doing more damage? And as to how it got all the lumps and bumps above the original surface?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I collected Alaskan flags when I was small because I loved astronomy, and the flag was so cool.
    Particularly in winter.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Particularly in winter.

Grant Hutchison

Which I believe in Alaska lasts for about nine and a half months.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

I had a recipe for cleaning silverware that worked very well. No scrubbing. I can’t find it, but suspect there are versions in the internet.

Basic principle was to line a pan with a sheet of aluminum foil. Then add salt water and heat everything on the stove. Immerse the silverware in the water, laying it on the sheet.

Through the magic of chemistry, any sulfur tarnish will migrate from the silver to the aluminum.

As I recall, it worked pretty quickly. Just a few minutes to remove most tarnish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I had a recipe for cleaning silverware that worked very well. No scrubbing. I can’t find it, but suspect there are versions in the internet.

Basic principle was to line a pan with a sheet of aluminum foil. Then add salt water and heat everything on the stove. Immerse the silverware in the water, laying it on the sheet.

Through the magic of chemistry, any sulfur tarnish will migrate from the silver to the aluminum.

As I recall, it worked pretty quickly. Just a few minutes to remove most tarnish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hmm, might try that!

Just for the record, here are some pictures of the purse and coins; and just the front and back of the coins. So you can see what I mean by bumps on the Trade Dollar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purse.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	293.3 KB 
ID:	25179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Obverse.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	25178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reverse.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	25180

My daughter and I were talking about recent bicycle riding experiences. She rides to work, I ride for fun and exercise. Most drivers are courteous, and on the country roads many will go completely into the other lane when they pass me, if the traffic allows, but others seem to be oblivious and barely move over, even with no oncoming traffic. It's scary and infuriates us. For some time now I've been using a taillight in rapid flash mode every time I ride, and I think the proportion of drivers who give me more room has increased. I got the idea from another rider who did that. I noticed that his flashing light is readily seen from a kilometre or so back. Now, I also have a mirror mounted on my helmet, and I see approaching vehicles long before they catch up to me. So I wondered aloud whether drivers would give a wider berth if I purposely rode a little erratically when I first spotted them. What amused me was that she said, "Yeah Dad, and they'll probably report you for riding under the influence!"

We bought my son a kitten today. He needed to get all new "cat stuff", a bowl, a dish, food, and a laser. We were a little concerned that the dog wouldn't like the cat, so we got some dog and cat treats.

We played with the kitten with the laser. The dog watched. Everyone got a treat. We did it again, what better fun can you have than playing with your pets? This goes on all day. At some point, my wife put the laser pointer in front of the dog and the dog chased the laser, just like the cat. We couldn't believe it. Everyone got a treat. Then we did it again, and again and again.

Here is where it goes off the rails. We apparently trained the dog to chase the laser, because now that we've stopped, she brings the laser pointer device to the person to get the laser dot and the treat. Dogs...
    Solfe

Smart dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Here is where it goes off the rails. We apparently trained the dog to chase the laser, because now that we've stopped, she brings the laser pointer device to the person to get the laser dot and the treat. Dogs...

One of our cats particularly loves chasing the laser pointer. One thing I've read (at least about cats, I don't know about dogs) that you shouldn't just play with the laser; that cats need to be able to physically catch items (so they feel they actually caught the prey), so mix it up with physical objects, like string or toy mice.

We used to have a cat who had absolutely no interest in the laser pointer. He knew what it was. He could see you holding it. (Which was impressive, given he was not the world's most intelligent cat.) The only way you could engage him in laser pointer play was to play with the other cat with it and run the laser pointer actually over him, so the two cats would end up playing together.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Our cat is also disintrested but for different reasons. He looks and the laser and us as if to say, "Don't wanna. Don't care. Don't bother."
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Now that is a sane hour of the day, here is a video of the dog vs. the pointer.
    Solfe

Last night, I was listening to The Dis Unplugged podcast. I selected a random old episode out of a back catalog of 1000+ podcasts. There were 4 or 5 people discussing something. One of the speakers said: "Now, correct me if I'm wrong..." and the other people at the table start riffing on that line. They go round and round the table, each person agreeing with the first speaker, but also using the line "Now, correct me if I'm wrong..."

Funny stuff I've ever heard from that group of podcasters. Since I wasn't paying attention to episode numbers or names, I'll never find that episode again.
    Solfe

Online trivia quiz (about guest stars on "The Twilight Zone") described Don Rickles' comedy as "self-deprecating one-liners."
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I watched with rapt interest a kitten play with a ping-pong ball in an empty bathtub.

My wife and I are Doctor Who fans. The notification sound on her phone is a Dalek, saying "EXTERMINATE!". Mine is River Song, saying her most famous catch phrase. That's how it came about that as I was walking to the mailbox a few minutes ago and about to pass a neighbor woman coming the other way, a voice from my pocket said "Hello, Sweetie!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife and I are Doctor Who fans. The notification sound on her phone is a Dalek, saying "EXTERMINATE!". Mine is River Song, saying her most famous catch phrase. That's how it came about that as I was walking to the mailbox a few minutes ago and about to pass a neighbor woman coming the other way, a voice from my pocket said "Hello, Sweetie!"
    I'm not sure if that's better or worse than saying "Exterminate" to your neighbor.

The ringtone on my mobile phone comes from the Presidential Red Telephone in the movie Our Man Flint. In the month or two before lockdown I actually had to carry my phone for a couple of reasons that need not detain us, and it actually did ring from time to time while I was in company. It achieved a sustained zero product recognition.

Grant Hutchison

The ringtone on my mobile phone comes from the Presidential Red Telephone in the movie Our Man Flint.
    I know the movie and I know the five-part ringtone. I salute you, sir!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

My Mom has the Downton Abbey theme, I have some radio chatter from the STS-1 landing.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

The ringtone on my mobile phone comes from the Presidential Red Telephone in the movie Our Man Flint. In the month or two before lockdown I actually had to carry my phone for a couple of reasons that need not detain us, and it actually did ring from time to time while I was in company. It achieved a sustained zero product recognition.

Grant Hutchison
    Hmm. I may need to adopt that for my phone ringtone.

I would have recognized it instantly. I have Our Man Flint and In Like Flint on DVD and I know someone else that also uses that ringtone. It seems especially appropriate to me because a cell phone reminds me of Flint’s many-function “lighter” so why not a Flint reference? Flint movies are great Bond spoofs.

I’m a little surprised nobody has mentioned Austin Powers movies to you, which seems to have led a little revival of interest. There was also that awful Hudson Hawk, but I only vaguely remember that terrible movie because of the ringtone . . .

I currently use a low-key “beep beep” sound used in the original Star Trek for a communicator notification. Even Star Trek fans usually don’t seem to recognize it, which is fine with me. I first used it with a flip phone.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I have a standard nokia ringtone, but it's stolen from Earth to Echo. Virtually no one has it, so it stands out.
    Solfe

On Discord, we were having a conversation about whether modern-day racing sailboats will be see as nostalgically in the future as the J-Class yachts of the 1920s and 30s are seen today, and I suddenly had the idea for a joke that ballooned into a mini sci-fi snippet.

Last week was Cinco de Gato and I found myself speaking to the kitties in broken high school Spanish. From 55 years ago! It seems to have kind of stuck and I've even looked up a couple of words.
    Mi gattita con los pies blancas se llama "Conejita".

I just saw a thread title in the Universe Today forum: NASA is going to try manufacturing a telescope.

Presumably "in space!" has been truncated from the end.

I just saw a thread title in the Universe Today forum: NASA is going to try manufacturing a telescope.

Presumably "in space!" has been truncated from the end.
    In undergrad a member of the Astronomy Club sent out an e-mail with the first line “Hey guys, I just found an exoplanet that might be visible with the university’s telescopes”, except that my e-mail program only displayed “ Hey guys, I just found an exoplanet...” as the preview.

Not quite as exciting as it looked!

I noticed a new pay phone installed outside a convenience store - gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I noticed a new pay phone installed outside a convenience store - gas station.
    Wow. I'm surprised they even exist at all!