Page 401 of 408 FirstFirst ... 301351391399400401402403 ... LastLast
Results 12,001 to 12,030 of 12229

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have collection of basic cookbooks because I am horrible at cooking. There is nothing extraordinary about them except they are very, very basic. Several have sections on how to boil water, which matches my skill level.

When I am on cooking duty, my wife will often suggest some sort of modification. I reply, "I've never done this before. Let's not make it any more dangerous that it has to be."
    Step 1: Open box, pour contents into boiling water.

"Wait, slow down! That's too much information to process all at once!"
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I collect novelty cookbooks.
    Do you have this one? Which it's a gastronomic companion to the Aubrey-Maturin series.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Step 1: Open box, pour contents into boiling water.

"Wait, slow down! That's too much information to process all at once!"
    Well, the part that gets me is if they are vague about quantities, time or temperature. And I prefer simple recipes. If it takes too many ingredients, has a lot of steps with different pans, etc. or takes too much time, I give it a pass.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The webcast of Virgin Galactic's launch this morning has just begun. And it's hosted by Steven Colbert!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Do you have this one? Which it's a gastronomic companion to the Aubrey-Maturin series.
    I don't, but it's on my list--and I knew which one you were talking about before clicking the link, because I was talking about it to friends last night!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The webcast of Virgin Galactic's launch this morning has just begun. And it's hosted by Steven Colbert!
    I was thinking of putting that in the “bugs you” thread. I wanted to see the event. I did not want to watch a comedian. Besides, I rarely find him funny anyway. Here, he was just annoying.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

With all the HyperHype surrounding Branson's flight, I literally slept through it. Got a good nap.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

it's been distinctly lacking in hype, in these parts.
    The UK has recently been hosting a series of Covid superspreader events at Wembley Stadium, and that has dominated the news cycle for the last subjective decade or so. And there's been tennis. So as far as I can glean from the TV news, nothing else is happening in the rest of the world.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The UK has recently been hosting a series of Covid superspreader events at Wembley Stadium, and that has dominated the news cycle for the last subjective decade or so. And there's been tennis. So as far as I can glean from the TV news, nothing else is happening in the rest of the world.

Grant Hutchison
    You'll be glad to know something's happening in Tokyo soon ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    And something's happening in Plymouth even sooner! (SailGP UK, that is.)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Grant Hutchison
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    And Formula One at Silverstone, with full fans.

I'm going through a stack of old model train catalogs I have here. For inspiration and as a quick way of finding the correct era of my models. I googled some of it at the same time.

I suddenly found my 1978 Lima catalog for sale for 4000 dollars! Argentinian dollars...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Grant Hutchison
    Old London Underground joke:
    Is this Wembley?
    No, it’sThursday,
    So am I,
    Let’s get off here and have a drink.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Old London Underground joke:
    Is this Wembley?
    No, it’sThursday,
    So am I,
    Let’s get off here and have a drink.
    Straight from the bestseller "Two to 'Loo too and other phonetic British railroad transport jokes"
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    And Formula One at Silverstone, with full fans.
    The particular circumstances of Euro 2020 and (at least the early part of) Wimbeldon have meant that vox pops from over-excited people wearing face paint and funny hats have trumped all other news in these parts. I can generally glaze over during news reports of competitive sports, but I confess to finding the whole "dressing-up box" school of extremely partisan spectators a bit wearing, and I'm not sure why footage of three men in fancy dress screaming "We're bringing it ho-o-ome!" directly into the camera should be top of the TV news.

(Note to same: It turns out we didn't bring it home. See how you set yourself up for these disappointments?)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have collection of basic cookbooks because I am horrible at cooking. There is nothing extraordinary about them except they are very, very basic. Several have sections on how to boil water, which matches my skill level.

When I am on cooking duty, my wife will often suggest some sort of modification. I reply, "I've never done this before. Let's not make it any more dangerous that it has to be."
    Cookbooks what are these thing you call cookbooks, where we are going we don't need any cookbooks.
    My cooking style kind of resembles that of chopped, a bunch of ingredients randomly put together.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The particular circumstances of Euro 2020 and (at least the early part of) Wimbeldon have meant that vox pops from over-excited people wearing face paint and funny hats have trumped all other news in these parts. I can generally glaze over during news reports of competitive sports, but I confess to finding the whole "dressing-up box" school of extremely partisan spectators a bit wearing, and I'm not sure why footage of three men in fancy dress screaming "We're bringing it ho-o-ome!" directly into the camera should be top of the TV news.

(Note to same: It turns out we didn't bring it home. See how you set yourself up for these disappointments?)

Grant Hutchison
    Homer Simpson personified many sports fans I know in this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UP66pgHCeso

I don’t know who originally said it, but when a fan proclaimed “We Won!”, they pointed out “No, they won. We watched.”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We are watching Stage 16 of the Tour de France and as the Peloton was passing through the town of Foix the helicopter camera zoomed in on the Chateau de Foix which dominates the heights over the town. Clearly visible on the battlements were 2 trebuchets. I know that Trebuchet himself likes to watch the Tour, at least occasionally. I just hope he was watching this stage and if so was suitably excited by what he was seeing. Especially as the castle itself seems to a perfect fairy-tale type castle.

Somef photos from the Castle. It looks like fun for all the family.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trebuchet2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	26307

Name:	trebuchet1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	26306

Name:	trebuchet.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	26305
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Jul-13 at 01:25 PM.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

“Have fun storming the castle!”

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We are watching Stage 16 of the Tour de France and as the Peloton was passing through the town of Foix the helicopter camera zoomed in on the Chateau de Foix which dominates the heights over the town. Clearly visible on the battlements were 2 trebuchets. I know that Trebuchet himself likes to watch the Tour, at least occasionally. I just hope he was watching this stage and if so was suitably excited by what he was seeing. Especially as the castle itself seems to a perfect fairy-tale type castle.

Somef photos from the Castle. It looks like fun for all the family.

Name:	trebuchet2.jpg 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	26307

Name:	trebuchet1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	26306

Name:	trebuchet.jpg 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	26305
    Cool! Nope, didn't see it, but I'll have to look those up!

Cool! Nope, didn't see it, but I'll have to look those up!
    Oh, that is a pity. As soon as I saw them I was hoping you had seen it. There is French Language website which gives some information about the activities at the castle. My French is not good enough to completely take it all in but there is a 'flag' as the site opens telling you about the passing of the tour. One of the links is to 'Les machines de guerre et de construction, échelle 1' which mentions the trebuchet. It says that the 16 metre high one can throw a 100kg weight around 200 metres at the rate of one shot a minute.

https://www.sites-touristiques-arieg...ateau-de-foix/

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We were there back in the '80s, during a tour of the Pyrenees. I don't think the trebuchets were there at that time--I do recall an exhibition of falconry that included a stonking great Egyptian vulture, which isn't something you see every day.
    Foix certainly plays up the "fairy tale" aspect of the castle. When we visited, the town was full of banners reading "Il était une Foix", which is an obsolete grammatical construction that would translate to "There was a Foix". To get the punning reference, you needed to be aware that "Il était une fois ..." is the French equivalent of "Once upon a time ..."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

The website says the machines were built in 2018. They look pretty good, I'll have to find more information.
    Unlike the ridiculous ones posited by this guy...

The website says the machines were built in 2018. They look pretty good, I'll have to find more information.
    Unlike the ridiculous ones posited by this guy...
    Bad link Treb. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Bad link Treb. At least for me.
    Hmmm. Works for me. A link to the wikipedia page concerning the French architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc (he designing the interior structure of the Statue of Liberty). it doesn't seem to mention his interest in siege engines.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Hmmm. Works for me. A link to the wikipedia page concerning the French architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc (he designing the interior structure of the Statue of Liberty). it doesn't seem to mention his interest in siege engines.

Grant Hutchison
    He had an interest in seige engines and a great many other things. Like historic buildings all over France. Which he "restored" to the way he thought they should have been, rather than the way the creators actually built them.
    And he didn't understand how trebuchets worked either, but that didn't stop him from making authoritative statements.
    A historical vandal, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Well, the part that gets me is if they are vague about quantities, time or temperature. And I prefer simple recipes. If it takes too many ingredients, has a lot of steps with different pans, etc. or takes too much time, I give it a pass.
    One of my favorite teachers was a chemistry professor who told us that his hobby was cooking. He said that chemists were always better cooks than the liberal arts folk, because we knew how to follow directions!

I can understand his logic. If you're doing a Grignard reaction to create a specific hydrocarbon from other chemicals, a pinch of this and a smidge of that and "until done" just doesn't do it. You need quantitative instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of my favorite teachers was a chemistry professor who told us that his hobby was cooking. He said that chemists were always better cooks than the liberal arts folk, because we knew how to follow directions!

I can understand his logic. If you're doing a Grignard reaction to create a specific hydrocarbon from other chemicals, a pinch of this and a smidge of that and "until done" just doesn't do it. You need quantitative instructions.
    I agree with your professor, but for a complete different reason (and I'm a chemist). Lots of chemistry (and lots of cooking) can involve following instructions, but both can also involve improvising. Maybe its that chemist know when to follow instructions, and when not to. Or maybe it is just our familiarity with the processes involved: mixing, heat transfer, judging completeness of reactions, etc.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I agree with your professor, but for a complete different reason (and I'm a chemist). Lots of chemistry (and lots of cooking) can involve following instructions, but both can also involve improvising. Maybe its that chemist know when to follow instructions, and when not to. Or maybe it is just our familiarity with the processes involved: mixing, heat transfer, judging completeness of reactions, etc.
    That explains a lot. I am not good at chemistry or cooking. One of the weird things is, I always aced the chem labs where actual physical work was done. But I never understood the reasons, rationals and outcomes of the endeavor. I did very poorly on the classroom part of chemistry.
    Solfe

"Hmm, out of sodium chloride. Well, potassium bromide ought to do."

I did survive my bachelor years without poisoning myself or anyone else, so there is something to it.