Page 340 of 343 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342 ... LastLast
Results 10,171 to 10,200 of 10280

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

A moment in my reality: My diabetes councilor's name name is Candy.

A moment in my fantasy world: I convince people that Alien Spacecraft visiting Earth is impossible because NORAD has tracking system that follows Santa on his faster than light flight around the world. If anyone could spot UFO's, it'd be NORAD.
    Solfe

As one of my neighbors said, "Dogs have masters; cats have servants."

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    A moment in my reality: My diabetes councilor's name name is Candy.
    How sweet... oh, sorry.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

What does a diabetes counsellor do?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    What does a diabetes counsellor do?

Grant Hutchison
    They advise on various aspects of management, such as diet, reducing risks, managing doses, etc. They are also the person who will show you how to administer your insulin shots, skin care issues, site rotation, etc. It sounds simple and it probably is, but it's helpful if you know nothing.

A more technical answer is Candy is a nurse at my doctor's practice that specializes in diabetes care. An ombudsman, if you will.
    Solfe

OK. So in the UK that job would be divided between a diabetes nurse and a dietician. (But in British English that would have no relationship at all to the duties of an ombudsman.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    OK. So in the UK that job would be divided between a diabetes nurse and a dietician. (But in British English that would have no relationship at all to the duties of an ombudsman.)

Grant Hutchison
    I was having fun rather than being serious, because I didn't want to speak poorly of my last doctor... or my wife, who is a nurse. My wife is struggling with the idea that I might need information as she isn't always around when I need advice. She wants to ply her trade on me, which is fine, except she can't be there all the time or be objective, which she sees an an insult. However, the councilor did handle her, which is being an ombudsman.

By way of example, I asked a question and my wife, the doctor and councilor decided to have a medical sidebar with vocabulary I didn't understand. A lot of anglicized Greek and bad Latin. When they were done, I asked for the answer. My wife tried to tell me it was answered sufficiently. I think her exact words were "that was 5 minutes ago and we are now talking about...", but the councilor asked if I understood what they said. The answer was "no", so she answered my question. It turns out that they had shifted to two other topics that I didn't even realize happened. So I needed to understand those, too.

My wife refuses to accept that English isn't my first language because I am relatively unaccented. Jargon is horrible for me. I hate it. Acronyms are the worst.

(My coworkers think it's funny that I know the meaning of every acronym and actually say each word, sometimes with the disclaimer of "you know, the one without the cool acronym"... up to a point. In meetings, I don't use acronyms but also make sure that I don't repeat the full name unless absolutely necessary. That is tedious. And the joke is only funny about once every 3 months. Sometimes less.)
    Solfe

I guess I could have told what I was questioning, which a medical practitioner might find amusing. I was handed a pen style injector for insulin and a bunch of screw on needles. It was a training device, so it didn't have insulin and the "needle" was not really a needle.

I was then told some of the specifications, it was 100 units per ml and it held 3 ml. My brain balked because I've never held such a device, I had only seen devices like this on TV and an item that looked like the "ampule" when I did pheresis* many years ago. In the lab, they would never let me handle an ampule of blood, so my information wasn't as good as even "Dr. Google". All I knew was that the pen wasn't 3 ml and the needles looked like ampules of blood I had seen, but also didn't have the proper heft for that dosage. I was thinking that the pen held a transport medium and medicine was in the needle. You know, like Dr. McCoy from Star Trek had in the 1960s.

Yeah, I totally over thought that one.

*I hope this is amusing to chemists, medical personnel, scientists, etc. When I did pheresis for RhIg, those people were bored as heck. I could see it in their faces. For me, it was like being offered a ride in the Space Shuttle. Sometimes people don't realize how cool their jobs are. That's a shame because even the most boring looking stuff can be the most important part.
    Solfe

The genealogy website I use sent me a message this morning that it's my aunt and uncle's fortieth wedding anniversary today. He's been dead for several years and anyway left her in the '90s. I guess they assume I know it's my birthday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Listening to the SGU podcast recorded in Scotland. Richard Wiseman is a guest and he went to talk about Nessie. The guy thought Nessie only comes out at night, so they out to take pictures on a dark night and it was too dark to get any pictures. So some one says, "How about coming out during a full moon?", the other guy goes, "You crazy that is when the werewolves are out."
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We are changing insurance carriers for next year. I went on their website to create my account and was asked to set communications preferences. The first was my preferred language.

The drop down list had hundreds of choices. I found English, then noticed that the list read
    English
    English, Old
    English, Middle

Huh.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We are changing insurance carriers for next year. I went on their website to create my account and was asked to set communications preferences. The first was my preferred language.

The drop down list had hundreds of choices. I found English, then noticed that the list read
    English
    English, Old
    English, Middle

Huh.
    A programmer with a goodly sense of humor snuck that through the QA cycle, aided and abetted by the QA team (assuming they read all of the choices). Or else the insurance company is trying to apply a light touch to boring stuff....but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

English
    English, Old
    English, Middle

Huh.
    "Six ingraft car insurance cov'rage options art: auto liability cov'rage, uninsur'd and und'rinsur'd mot'rist cov'rage, comprehensive cov'rage, collision cov'rage, medical payments cov'rage and p'rsonal injury
    protection. Depending on wh're thee liveth, some of these cov'rages art mandat'ry and some art optional. Und'rstanding what's requir'd in thy state and what each helps cov'r can holp thee chooseth the right cov'rage f'r thy situation."

(some Allstate insurance verbage translated to Shakespearean English)

Today's Non Sequitur reminds me of some ATM threads … not sure why.

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/n...itur/s-2302579
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I am totally a sci-fi and fantasy nerd. However, I am pumped up to go see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood with my wife. Apparently, between Star Wars and The Hobbit (the cartoon, not the live action nonsense), Mr Rogers lives rent free in my psyche. I have some fine imaginary friends.
    Solfe

My students are great. This happened on an outing in the school van today.

Student: Mr. Phil, are you ok?
    Me: Yes, I just have horrible gas.
    Student: Are you going to stop and get better gas?
    Solfe

My students are great. This happened on an outing in the school van today.

Student: Mr. Phil, are you ok?
    Me: Yes, I just have horrible gas.
    Student: Are you going to stop and get better gas?

Speaking of horrible gas, I remember riding in a bus across the Meadowlands just outside New York while it was still undeveloped. We smelled something that we thought was a fellow passenger passing some really raunchy gas, and we opened a window to let it out. Only then did we discover that it was coming from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Speaking of horrible gas, I remember riding in a bus across the Meadowlands just outside New York while it was still undeveloped. We smelled something that we thought was a fellow passenger passing some really raunchy gas, and we opened a window to let it out. Only then did we discover that it was coming from outside.
    Welcome to New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My father used to work at the bulk mail center in the Meadowlands. The facility had some type of fan arrangement to prevent methane from collecting under the foundation.

Between the swamps and refineries, you can get some interesting smells in that part of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Try being in the back of moving truck with all but one side closed in, not for faint of heart.

Ah... the joys of parenting.

About a month ago, Paul had his cell phone taken away from him at school and I had to pick it up. They were super cranky towards me, like I was a bad parent.

My son asked the principal: "So, if I had been listening to music on a crummy ol' iPod, that would have been ok?"

The principal said, "yes".

This week, I noticed he has been coming home with toys and gassing up my car in addition to his car. It turns out that he found two old iPods in the basement and has been renting them out to students. He raised enough money to buy 3 more iPods from eBay. He now has enough iPods in rotation that he can offer curated musical selections with the daily iPod rental. He also bought an old laptop with a CD rom so he can load the music from my CD collection.

He has an new phone arriving next week (it was on sale he said) and several more iPods, probably before then.

I know I'm going to get an angry phone call one of these days, but I didn't make this policy to be abused.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2019-Dec-19 at 01:47 AM.
    Solfe

This week, I noticed he has been coming home with toys and gassing up my car in addition to his car. It turns out that he found two old iPods in the basement and has been renting them out to students. He raised enough money to buy 3 more iPods from eBay. He now has enough iPods in rotation that he can offer curated musical selections with the daily iPod rental. He also bought an old laptop with a CD rom so he can load the music from my CD collection. He has an new phone arriving next week (it was on sale he said) and several more iPods, probably before then.
    He's a budding Napster!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    He's a budding Napster!
    Yeah... this is the third time he has abused the rules to get his way. The first time was a PBIS program where good, well behaved students would win a wooden token which granted them a spin on a prize wheel. They had some really nice prizes like a iPod and school clothing like hoodies, sweat pants and t shirts.

Since Paul was not a well behaved student, he noticed the bad kids got a "pity token" at the end of the month. They could spin against a depleted prize wheel. On the first of the month, the prize wheel would be replenished.

Queue up the evil genius.

He put a small garbage can near the prize table and got in line for a spin at the wheel. Before spinning, he asked what prizes were left. He declared that the prizes were junk, broke his wooden token and cussed at the teacher. Instant 3 day detention.

Each day of detention, he repeated his little show, except without the swearing so as to avoid more punishment and another call home.

On the first of the next month, he saw the prize wheel had been replenished and produced dozens of tokens. He cleaned out every prize on day one. When questioned as to the source of all these tokens, he told them the truth. When he threw away his token, the next kid in line did the same thing. That happened dozens of times over the next few days and he used his time in detention to glue all of the tokens back together.

They now have metal tokens. They probably shouldn't have let him keep the prizes.

His second abuse of policy was they forbid him to participate in the PBIS prize program anymore, but let him select his reward for good behavior. His request was to go to visit a higher level class for one period a day. He selected a class way over his head, but then begged the students there to "help him" with his homework and class assignments, which they did with a gusto. In some cases, the teacher "helped" or did his homework for him.
    Solfe

I feel like he all will be working for him someday.

On pitcher Joe Niekro's page in the Baseball Reference website, the pronunciation guide for his name is KNEE-kro. For his older brother Phil and son Lance it is simply NEE-kro.

My wife just walked in on me watching a video.

A video by a Scottish electrician about his favorite industrial connectors. Lord, I'm such a nerd!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife just walked in on me watching a video.

A video by a Scottish electrician about his favorite industrial connectors. Lord, I'm such a nerd!
    I am so buying you lunch if I'm ever in the U.S. again.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I am so buying you lunch if I'm ever in the U.S. again.
    I will take you up on that! Come at the end of September, you can help launch pumpkins!

I love Big Clyde's accent even more than Scott Manley's.

Remember when 640k was enough for anyone? I have just received a 2TB disk drive as a gift. It would fit in my pocket. I doubt if we have that much data on all devices combined. I don't expect it cost all that much.