Thread: Twitter

Smile Twitter

Hello.

There are reasons I have for asking this question.

Can anyone answer questions I have about twitter?

I need someone who is fluent with this.

Thx.

I avoid Twitter. However, why not just ask your questions and see if someone can answer them?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

In "Twitter" settings I have the option of using a username.

I type it in and it shows up on 'my twitter'.

It says for example: Lisababe. Then next to it it say @Lisababe.

What is the @symbol for?
    Is it a link somehow? or sometin else?

What is a 'muted' account as opposed to a blocked account?

I'll have other questions as well.

The @ is a part of someone’s Twitter “handle” or address. When you include that handle in a tweet it will be linked to their profile and they will be notified they have been mentioned.

If you mute an account then you will not see anything from them. But they can still see your posts, comment on them, etc. They will not know they are muted. If you block someone then you won’t see anything from them and they won’t be able to see anything from you look at the profile of someone who has blocked you it will tell you that you can’t see it because you have been blocked.
    https://help.twitter.com/en/using-tw...cking-accounts

5. 2019-Dec-03, 09:10 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
    In "Twitter" settings I have the option of using a username.

I type it in and it shows up on 'my twitter'.

It says for example: Lisababe. Then next to it it say @Lisababe.

What is the @symbol for?
    Is it a link somehow? or sometin else?

What is a 'muted' account as opposed to a blocked account?

I'll have other questions as well.
    Muted merely stops you from seeing updates from that person. Block prevents that person from seeing your posts and you from theirs.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Muted merely stops you from seeing updates from that person.
    Now I have a question - I know Twitter does retweets and replies, but this "mute" function presumes it maintains "threads" in some way. Is that correct? "Mute", I'm assuming, doesn't prevent me from seeing anything that persons tweets, right, just responses to the specific topic? Otherwise, what's the difference between muting someone and unfollowing them?

Bit off-topic, but I find that terminology interesting, too. On a telephone, the "mute" button prevents the other person from hearing you - on Twitter, it prevents you from hearing them. I understand the difference in need, just find it interesting that the same terminology is used for the opposite effect.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Now I have a question - I know Twitter does retweets and replies, but this "mute" function presumes it maintains "threads" in some way. Is that correct? "Mute", I'm assuming, doesn't prevent me from seeing anything that persons tweets, right, just responses to the specific topic? Otherwise, what's the difference between muting someone and unfollowing them?
    You can mute a thread, in which case you will not see any more updates to that thread. (But you can still go and read new posts to the thread; they just won't be pushed at you.)

You can mute words or phrases, so you will not see posts that contain them.

You can mute a person, in which case you will not see anything they say. It will be completely hidden from you. This is different from unfollowing someone because you can see posts from people you don't follow if, for example, they reply to a thread you are reading, they are re-tweeted or quoted by someone, etc.

Bit off-topic, but I find that terminology interesting, too. On a telephone, the "mute" button prevents the other person from hearing you - on Twitter, it prevents you from hearing them. I understand the difference in need, just find it interesting that the same terminology is used for the opposite effect.
    On teleconferencing systems, it is common to be able to mute your own mic, or that of the people on the other end. So I don't think it is completely novel usage.