Page 410 of 414 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412 ... LastLast
Results 12,271 to 12,300 of 12410

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

We went to our Grand-daughters Primary School for the school assembly today as her class were performing a song and dance on the 'stage'. At the end of the assembly they played a song and all the kids in the school - it is fairly small with only about 450 kids at the most - were happily dancing and singing along. The song they were enjoying so much really took me back as it was "I'm a Believer" by
    The Monkees. Good to see a song from 1966, when I turned 12, still being enjoyed by under 12's.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We went to our Grand-daughters Primary School for the school assembly today as her class were performing a song and dance on the 'stage'. At the end of the assembly they played a song and all the kids in the school - it is fairly small with only about 450 kids at the most - were happily dancing and singing along. The song they were enjoying so much really took me back as it was "I'm a Believer" by
    The Monkees. Good to see a song from 1966, when I turned 12, still being enjoyed by under 12's.
    Picking nits; made famous by The Monkees but written by Neil Diamond.

ETA: and given a new audience as the closing number in Shrek performed by Smash Mouth.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Oct-22 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Picking nits; made famous by The Monkees but written by Neil Diamond.

ETA: and given a new audience as the closing number in Shrek performed by Smash Mouth.
    Nit properly picked - should have said performed by The Monkees. Though at that stage were they being allowed to actually play any instruments on their records?

Even Shrek is now 20 years old.

The film Apollo 13 is closer to the moon shot than now.
    Solfe

We're closer to the last dinosaurs than the first dinosaurs were to the last ones. But that's been so for quite a while now. If it wasn't like that in your youth, you definately belong in the "I'm so old" thread.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Oh my.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Interesting. Someone should compile a list of when the movie becomes as old as the actual event was when the movie was made.

We'll still have to wait quite a while for Cameron's Titanic...Spartacus is hopeless. But almost there for Sully.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-Oct-23 at 07:45 AM.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    That brings back memories. I remember discussing it with friends at work. It was my favorite movie of the year and one of my favorites for the decade. I have a few memories from the time of the mission, like my grade school teacher suggesting we pray for the astronauts. That wasnít exactly legal (public school) but I didnít know that then, and it was an extraordinary situation at least. But I do remember being surprised at her concern - this was NASA and I had no doubt they would come back alive. I didnít remember Apollo 1 and I was a little too confident in NASAís expertise and ability. But they came through that time.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Interesting. Someone should compile a list of when the movie becomes as old as the actual event was when the movie was made.

We'll still have to wait quite a while for Cameron's Titanic...Spartacus is hopeless. But almost there for Sully.
    XKCD did something similar here in 2015.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

300 historical movies in chronological order might be a good starting point for someone who's interested. (Or on reflection perhaps not, given that "historical" seems to mean "up to 1900".)

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I took a class on the history of New York State. I sort of tuned out when they started dealing with Bethlehem Steel's closure.

The professor snapped at me, "You're not paying attention! This is a local event of great interest."

I answered, "I used to read the meters there."

The professor sat down. He was born in 1990, two years before I left the electric company. I made the claim that "Bethlehem Steel never closed" and gave brief walkthrough of the county's property record system showing all of the stuff that was still there. The closure was rather complicated and happened in steps. In Buffalo, we like to reference the site as the company, which isn't entirely accurate.

Bethlehem is a town in Pennsylvania. The closure of that company was probably more important to them (PA) than us (NY).
    Solfe

This week is student-teacher conference week. The schools are on half-days for the week, and Sandy doesn't have preschool at all. (Because there are morning preschools and afternoon preschools with the same teacher in the same classroom, so she wouldn't be able to do conferences in the afternoon.) I have gotten both texts and e-mails to let me know about the half-day from the school district, his school, his principal, her school, and the school bus people. I assume this will happen for the rest of the week.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I don't know if this bugs me, amuses me, makes me happy, or I don't get it.
    A couple of days ago the mail included a little flyer on real estate in our development. It showed about a dozen listings. Of which only one was active, two or three were pending, and the rest were sold.
    One of the latter, in the fancier part of the development, had been listed for $750,000 and sold for over $1 million. In seven days on the market. Just 2000 square feet, not even an average home size in the USA I think. I expect it has a pretty spectacular view. As do we.
    Wow. Just wow. What's ours worth? And why am I even thinking about that? I intend to die here.
    Meanwhile, homelessness and lack of affordable housing continue to be at crisis proportions here. I can't imagine why.

In the non-trivial bugs me category, about five years ago the city of Port Townsend spent something like half a million dollars to buy a two-story four-unit apartment on Vancouver Island and have it barged over here for affordable housing. It's still sitting empty and will more than likely have to be demolished. Not helping!

In the more trivial bugs me category, one of the real estate agents was the co-owner of my favorite local restaurant. Which is now permanently closed. Guess they don't need it any more. And it was done in by Covid-19.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yeah, home prices really go up a lot in certain areas. Around LA and San Francisco tiny old two bedroom homes on microlots barely big enough to hold them can run well over a million. Youíre near the ocean, that almost always ups prices. And with the pandemic there was a serious pause in construction, limiting supply. Iíve been getting mail and even a call or two from people or businesses that would like to buy my home. Of course I have no intention of selling.

My house is older (built in Ď59) and fairly small (about 1800 sq. ft.) but itís on a half acre lot with a pool. Itís almost impossible to get a new house these days with a good sized lot around here. If some of what Iíve been seeing is true, it could probably be sold for $200,000 to $250,000 more than it was appraised at three years ago. Prices here too are going up partly because a lot of people working in the bay area are willing to go on two hour commutes to get more affordable housing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I had set up an e-mail alert from my credit union for when I get a stimulus check, telling me when I have a transaction from the IRS. I just got one because I spent money at the Scholastic Book Fairs. (It took me a minute.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Want a hoverbike? Itís only $700,000

Saw this in the news, a Japanese company is selling a hoverbike. It looks very much like something out of a science fiction movie, and is more or less an oversized drone with a seat and handles.

An article with some video showing it flying:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ke-2021-10-26/

A video also showing a person using it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hgl0dpRQhc

Edit: Just noticed this video is the same one shown in the reuters article above.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Saw this in the news, a Japanese company is selling a hoverbike. It looks very much like something out of a science fiction movie, and is more or less an oversized drone with a seat and handles.

An article with some video showing it flying:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ke-2021-10-26/

A video also showing a person using it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hgl0dpRQhc
    Paint it white and put a couple of lasers in the front of it and fly thru a wooded area and does remind of scene from a movie.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Paint it white and put a couple of lasers in the front of it and fly thru a wooded area and does remind of scene from a movie.
    Exactly what I thought. It even makes a similar noise.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Somewhat related to the arrival of my new phoneÖ

A couple-three days ago, The Wife was talking to a customer who mentioned that her 8-year-old autistic son had taken a keen interest in photography, so she was thinking about buying him a modest digital cameraónothing fancy, though. The Wife offered up her old camera that she hasnít used in years.

I couldnít find it, of course. Itís tucked away somewhere but I have no clue where. I did find two others (even older) but neither worked. Then I found my old fishing camera, a small Kodak model in near perfect condition. Now, back to the phone.

While doing all this looking, I found The Wifeís old iPhone 3GS and its predecessor, the Original iPhone, in the office file cabinet. They were hiding under a bunch of old software CD boxes and slip cases, that included Windows Vista and Windows 7. Yikes.

What a difference there is between unboxing experiences: Original vs 13. Way back in 2007, I felt like I was opening a box containing the future. I marveled at the near-magical device and I was (tongue-in-cheek alert) the envy of friends and coworkers, at least for a time. While I still got a bit of a nerdy thrill with the new phone, really, it was just another day on the upgrade trail. Iím not even sure I can name all the models I had in between.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

This both amuses and bugs me.

Iím watching the World Series on Hulu with a free trial. Iím also tracking the game on the MLB app on my phone. The app is about two minutes ahead of Hulu.

If i get impatient i just look at the app for a mini spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    This both amuses and bugs me.

I’m watching the World Series on Hulu with a free trial. I’m also tracking the game on the MLB app on my phone. The app is about two minutes ahead of Hulu.

If i get impatient i just look at the app for a mini spoiler.
    When watching International Test Cricket on TV I turn off the sound and listen to the commentary on the radio. The TV commentary is full of advertising plus it is usually given by a lot of self involved ex-players. The Radio one is more traditional in style and basically non commercial. The radio commentary is about 3 seconds ahead of the TV signal so if I am distracted I have time to give my attention back to the screen whenever anything happens.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    A couple-three days ago, The Wife was talking to a customer who mentioned that her 8-year-old autistic son had taken a keen interest in photography, so she was thinking about buying him a modest digital camera—nothing fancy, though. The Wife offered up her old camera that she hasn’t used in years.
    Sort of a spammy post, but if you want a rock solid camera for a child, check out the Kid Tough Digital Camera by Fisher-Price. They are pretty much bomb proof. Fisher-Price invented the 4 foot drop test which is a pretty standard toy test now. When they made that camera, they dropped it off of a 4 story building. Nothing happened, so they used one of those water balloon rubber band launchers to fire it from the roof of the same building. That time it malfunctioned by taking a photo on each bounce, but aside from that nothing physical happened to the product. Not even a scuff.

The device used to (and maybe still does) make an annoying shutter click noise every time a photo is taken. It drives parents buggy, but the sound is there to stop a child from taking pictures serendipitously. Anyway, I had a parent get so mad at the toy on a car trip, they threw it out the window at highway speeds. It was run over by several vehicles. They returned it to us wanting a full refund. I called them and explained that only the batteries were damaged. It still worked. I asked if I could keep it for the engineering team and they would get a full refund or replacement. They got really mad at me and used some choice words that made me think they wanted a refund instead of a replacement.

The really funny part was the line was so successful, they made a bunch of different Kid Tough products. They made the mistake of bringing me a new toy and I almost threw it on the ground. It was kind of a habit. The engineer grabbed me before I could spike it. "That's the photo-mockup. We need it for a commercial tomorrow."

I probably would have lost my job over that one.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Oct-28 at 02:25 PM. Reason: corrected "4 four" to "4 foot"
    Solfe

My daughter had the film version of the Fisher-Price camera when she was a kid. On a trip to New York City, she managed to get its lanyard tangled in a subway exit turnstile.
    The safety latch popped open, the camera fell to the ground, and my daughter was freed in a fraction of a second. An unsettling, and potentially dangerous situation was averted.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Every night on my lunch break, I look at the stars. The mall where I work is really not conducive to stargazing thanks to the bright lights. I have an app to help me identify things.

It turns out the app or my phone isn't so great at matching my location to the heavens. Neptune is trailing Jupiter right now and my phone is so off, that it keeps telling me I'm looking at Neptune when I'm really looking at Jupiter. That created a huge "what the heck?" moment, followed by a "am I having a stroke?" moment.

Since the parking lot is so bright, the spot where Neptune should be is completely devoid of stars. It's kind of hard to "navigate" the night sky under such conditions but it did make me laugh.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My daughter had the film version of the Fisher-Price camera when she was a kid. On a trip to New York City, she managed to get its lanyard tangled in a subway exit turnstile.
    The safety latch popped open, the camera fell to the ground, and my daughter was freed in a fraction of a second. An unsettling, and potentially dangerous situation was averted.
    It's funny how things change. Not all items have a breakaway cord anymore. It's based on length now. There is a complex way of looking at it. Stuff that can fit around the neck breaks away easily while shorter lengths don't have to but can. Application determines which design choice is made.

I discovered this by a report of a child falling from a cruise ship balcony. The camera she was holding had a wrist strap and it snarled on the railing saving them from a multi-story plunge to the ocean below. The strap was stressed way beyond it's designed capacity and needed to be cut of to free the child. The only reason the report was made was that the camera fell overboard and the consumer wanted a replacement due to the "design flaw". (Edit - When lacking exact information, there is a decision to be believe first and question later. This is fine, but creates situations where things are addressed even though they didn't happen as described or worse, at all.)

The consumer returned the wrist strap which had fragments of plastic from the body of the camera imbedded in it, which kind of indicates exactly how much force was put on it. This wasn't a simple slip and fall over a railing. It is highly probable that the child fell from one deck, hit a railing on a lower deck where the camera snarled. Asking that question didn't get an answer nor did asking if the child was injured get an answer.

That created a huge debate because the child could have been lacerated, had broke bones or had a should dislocated. We couldn't get an answer. I forget what the safety report determined as a corrective action. I try to blank that stuff out.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Oct-28 at 03:27 PM.
    Solfe

I just watched this video. A British guy paddling through a "float-through" McDonalds in Hamburg.
    The "deep" moment is when he says "People like a combination of familiarity and novelty." There's a lot of money to be made right there.

There seems to be some sort of natural law dictating that, whenever someone makes a claim on behalf of "people", I find myself wondering, "Which people are these?"
    I like familiarity. I like novelty. But when people introduce novelty into a familiar situation, that's my cue to go off and find something completely new or completely familiar, rather than endure the pain of the "half familiar".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

English is funny. Yesterday I encountered "span" as a past tense for "spin". I'm reading a historical novel set in WWI and when the main character got shot by a sniper, he "span and fell". At least I'm assuming it was a past tense for spin, don't know what else it would be.
    Then I started thinking about other "in" verbs. "Win" -- "Won". "Tin" -- as when you coat something with solder -- "tinned". "Thin" -- "thinned".

And of course then there's the pronunciation of "solder".

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    English is funny. Yesterday I encountered "span" as a past tense for "spin".
    Still in common use in these parts. There's a pattern of progressive levelling in these old strong verbs, with the past participle being pressed into use as the simple past tense. I have the impression it's going more quickly in American English than in British. I see people writing things like, "He sung out his name," which would always have been "sang" when I was a kid. And recently I noticed "He swum over to the shore" for the first time.
    In my local dialect, people often do the opposite, replacing the past participle with the simple past: "He had swam over to the shore," "He had sang out his name." We also have the rather splendid irregular past tense of "jump"--"jamp".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

"Jamp"! Oh, my!