Thread: Question about a word

Question about a word

I was reading an article about Biden's science budget proposal, and there is a section that reads:

The Department of Energy’s Office of Science would grow by $400 million, to $7.4 billion. There is no breakout for its major programs cutting across the physical and natural sciences.
    I have never seen the word "breakout" used like that, and was wondering what it means. It is used later in the same article, so it must have some meaning in budgeting. Does anyone know?
    Last edited by Jens; Today at 04:41 AM.
    As above, so below

I expect it means there is no break out of the details of what the spending is directed to in the statement. Iíve seen that referred to as a breakout or breakdown. Incidentally, in your post you have what looks like an internet link, but it just contains text.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Incidentally, in your post you have what looks like an internet link, but it just contains text.
    Thanks. I fixed it.
    As above, so below