Page 389 of 392 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,670 of 11733

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yeah. There's a fairly widespread perception that Britons call their country "Great Britain" because of some sort of pathetic post-imperial arrogance. But actually it's the retention of a very, very old xenonym. And the Romans certainly didn't think Britain was all that great.

(Hey, two -nyms in two posts. That doesn't happen often.)

Grant Hutchison
    Remarkable foresight to name the country the Kingdom of Great Britain all the way back in 1707, when the age of imperialism didn't really start until around 1760.
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Remarkable foresight to name the country the Kingdom of Great Britain all the way back in 1707, when the age of imperialism didn't really start until around 1760.
    Well England joined Scotland 1603 under James 6 of Scotland and later added Ireland, uniting the British Isles under one king. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland came much later after Irish independence. The Elizabethan age started the process with a navy thanks to wars with the French of course, and the reform of the church allowed merchants to trade and so on.
    That same king , James first of England coined the use of “Britain” no doubt from his knowledge of history.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Well England joined Scotland 1603 under James 6 of Scotland and later added Ireland, uniting the British Isles under one king.
    Whether you include Ireland in the personal union with England (and Wales) before or after Scotland depends on how you count it.

The King of Scotland became the King of England in 1603, uniting them in a personal union - they were still administratively different countries. But Henry VIII became King of Ireland in 1542, it's just that he didn't have control of all of Ireland at the time. So we could take the personal union of England (and Wales) with Ireland to be in 1542, or at some later time in the 1600s. James VI of Scotland became James I of England on 24 March 1603, and the last rebellious Irish province wasn't brought under control until 25 April 1603. So we could place the personal union between England (and Wales) with Ireland from 1542, or 32 days after the personal union of England (and Wales) with Scotland

But it was a personal union, like the one between Spain and Portugal for 60 years, the one between England and France for more than 20 years, as well as many other European personal unions - and also one involving Brazil (which lasted for a few days), Congo (which lasted for years), and part of China and part of Korea. So England/Wales, Scotland, and Ireland all had the same monarch, but they remained different countries, much like the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and a number of other countries have the same monarch.

The formal consolidation of England/Wales with Scotland (so that they had not just the same monarch, but the same government) was 1707, with the result called the Kingdom of Great Britain. The political (not just personal) union with Ireland came in 1801, and was called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; this was modified to become the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland when the rest of Ireland became the Irish Free State in 1922.

Since Scotland did not become independent a few years ago, we have not (at least not yet) had the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

It would have been, wouldn't it?

But those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat dumb stuff on the Internet.

When I was a kid, we were taught that the island was called Britain and the country was called Great Britain, but that seems rather to have fallen by the wayside, and never seems to have been much of a thing in the first place.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I certainly thought I was giving a coherent answer. Obviously there was a communication issue because of what we find familiar or unfamiliar, and I had no way of knowing initially what you would need clarification on.
    Same here. Sorry, Grant, for confusing you.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Elvis has since died though.
    Elvis is not dead. He just went home.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Elvis is not dead. He just went home.
    That’s been playing on one of the cable television channels here quite a bit recently.

All that is required to call something "great", is a smaller version. I wish I had a little brother.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Same here. Sorry, Grant, for confusing you.
    Well, thanks for the apology, but there wasn't really any confusion. I'd been misguided enough to ask for some clarification on the "amuses you" thread (again), and people immediately set about amusing themselves (again). It wasn't exactly an inexplicable turn of events.

Grant Hutchison

Random association to this 7 second Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUKmq7UMJys

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I saw a live performance by them in New York City in (IIRC) the early 80s. They must have had it figured out by then, because they had sing-a-longs (with lyrics projected on a screen on the back of the stage) for several bits, such as the Lumberjack Song.
    They shouldn't have needed to project the lyrics!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post

And my turn for pedantry--Grant, "Girl Scout" is capitalized.
    And there is no such organization as "Girl Scouts of America". It's "Girl Scouts of the USA". One of my late mother's pet peeves. She worked for the organization for many years.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I just saw an ad for adblock. Not sure if good commercial idea or bad commercial idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I just saw an ad for adblock. Not sure if good commercial idea or bad commercial idea.
    "If you were using this, you wouldn't be seeing this."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

To sell the solution, you have to become the problem.

This one didn't really "amuse" me, but it certainly intrigues me. I have a mouse trap on the attic. Standard model (with a blunt bar, not a blade). Normally you find the mouse inside the trap with a broken neck or crushed skull. This time, the mouse was about 40cm away from the trap. How does that happen? Did it manage to wring itself out of the trap and die shortly after? Did it get flung that far?

Anyway, I've put up the trap again. Because I have a feeling that mice are a bit like spiders: you may never see one, but you can be quite sure you have them. And if this was the last mouse I caught this season, all the better.

If you see one mouse, you've got about a hundred times that many.

Get a cat.

There are literally 10 cats patrolling the neighbourhood (outdoors). But every now and then -autumn- the odd mouse decides that's it's more comfy indoors. I once had a whole nest of mice in house, you couldn't miss it when that was going on. Now I don't spot any droppings, noises, mice...so the amount of them must be small. And down by two.

As I mentioned in another thread, Mrs Extravoice received her second COVID vaccination shot late last week.
    Officially, she won't be fully vaccinated for another two weeks, as her immune system does its thing.

This has given me several opportunities to point out that she needs to maintain extra vigilance, as she is only "mostly vaccinated".
    Which, of course, I have done by paraphrasing Miracle Max from "The Princess Bride".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

There are literally 10 cats patrolling the neighbourhood (outdoors).
    That might well serve to drive the local mice indoors in a house with no cat. My parents once lived in a tenement flat, with cat owners on the floor above and below--so they ended up hosting all the mice in that part of the building.

Grant Hutchison

That may very well be the case indeed. I try to invite the cats for a short patrol indoors, but most of them are too cautious. What happened to good old feline curiosity? I know, I know, those cats didn't survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread, Mrs Extravoice received her second COVID vaccination shot late last week.
    Officially, she won't be fully vaccinated for another two weeks, as her immune system does its thing.

This has given me several opportunities to point out that she needs to maintain extra vigilance, as she is only "mostly vaccinated".
    Which, of course, I have done by paraphrasing Miracle Max from "The Princess Bride".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M
    Inconceivable!

(completely predictable, but someone had to do it)
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    That might well serve to drive the local mice indoors in a house with no cat. My parents once lived in a tenement flat, with cat owners on the floor above and below--so they ended up hosting all the mice in that part of the building.

Grant Hutchison
    One winter I lived in a cabin that had a small coal stove in the basement with a grate above it to let the heat rise into the living area. I was stoking it one evening with lumber trim-ends from the mill and noticed a motion along the wall to one side of me. Instinctively, I flung the piece of wood frisbee-style toward the motion and killed an ermine. I felt dejected!

About a week later I had to start setting mouse traps.

Bummer.

My mother did it better. She's afraid of mice. And we had a loyal cat, who brought us gifts. Like mice. Dead or alive. So she brought a live one into the kitchen. Refused to hunt it, because it was our mouse now. So my mother took a broom, closed her eyes, and did a blind smash towards the floor. Killed the mouse on the first try. The cat must have been so proud. So was I; I've gone after mice with a broom and never managed to get one, and I could actually see what I was doing. Likely the mouse already was a bit out of warranty after what the cat did to it.

Bummer.

My mother did it better. She's afraid of mice. And we had a loyal cat, who brought us gifts. Like mice. Dead or alive. So she brought a live one into the kitchen. Refused to hunt it, because it was our mouse now. So my mother took a broom, closed her eyes, and did a blind smash towards the floor. Killed the mouse on the first try.
    I may have mentioned this story before, but one night I called for my cat from my master bedroomís sliding glass door to the back porch. My cat ran in, and I could immediately see she had a small rat in her mouth. I wasnít happy but luckily she made a beeline to the master bath, so I ran in after her and closed the door. She let go of the rat and it ran behind the toilet so I could see it was alive. The last thing I wanted was for the rat to get free in the house where it would have many places to hide, so I wanted it controlled there. Thereís a bit of a gap below the bathroom door, and I didnít know if it was enough for the rat, but I know rats donít need much space so I grabbed a towel and stuffed it as much as possible under the door.

I waited to see what my cat would do, but she seemed content to just watch the rat. I tried herding it towards her, but it looked like if my cat would do anything at all, it would take hours for her to get around to it. Darned cat. I am not afraid of rats, beyond wanting to take care to not be bit, and I decided to go on the offensive.

The only obvious weapon was a plunger that I hadnít yet put back out in the garage, so I started going after the rat with the plunger. It was quite active and hard to catch, but at one point I had it between the wall and the plunger. Pressing on it didnít seem to do all that much though.

Meanwhile, my cat didnít like the flailing plunger and was becoming a nuisance, no longer taking any interest in the rat at all. While cornering the rat as far from the door as possible, I opened it, and my cat ran out. I immediately closed up again and moved the towel back in place.

Somewhere around that time the rat disappeared and I was afraid it had gotten out. I started a careful search of the room. Finally, I saw the tip of a tail peeking out from under the towel I had put next to and slightly under the door.

This last bit may bother the squeamish:

I pulled the rat out by its tail while pressing down on its body with the plunger handle to control it so it couldnít turn around and bite. Finally, I used the handle to press down on its neck forcefully. I believe it died quickly.

So in a contest between a man with a plunger and a rat, man won.

Afterwards, I exited the the bathroom with the rat held with a bit of toilet paper, finding my cat looking relaxed, sitting in a bedroom chair, watching me. I swear she looked pleased with herself. It wouldnít surprise me if she thought she was helping me learn how to catch rats, as mother cats do with kittens.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

You never told us about your Australian ancestry.

Cats...do they love us or do they try to get us up to their standards?

When we had outdoor cats, I don't think they ever brought in any of their small furry prey. Birds, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When we had outdoor cats, I don't think they ever brought in any of their small furry prey. Birds, on the other hand...
    We had a Lhasa Apso that was in cahoots with the local cat mob. The cats deposited critters under a table cover on our deck and the dog would bring in the pieces she could carry. Rabbit leg bones, among others.

Bummer.

My mother did it better. She's afraid of mice. And we had a loyal cat, who brought us gifts. Like mice. Dead or alive. So she brought a live one into the kitchen. Refused to hunt it, because it was our mouse now. So my mother took a broom, closed her eyes, and did a blind smash towards the floor. Killed the mouse on the first try. The cat must have been so proud. So was I; I've gone after mice with a broom and never managed to get one, and I could actually see what I was doing. Likely the mouse already was a bit out of warranty after what the cat did to it.
    I'm sure I've told this story before, but our now-deceased cat Samantha was an excellent mouser (and an indoor cat). Usually she'd kill and abandon, though I think she ate some of them too (we found parts). But one time she brought us a live one, while we were asleep in our bed. I can say that waking up to the sound of your wife screaming at the top of her lungs "THERE'S A MOUSE IN THE BED" is not pleasant (IIRC I literally rolled/fell out of the bed).

My wife ran out of the room and I watched from the floor as the cat chased the mouse around the bed, then the mouse leaped off, and ran behind the dresser, where the cat camped out to wait out her prey. I was told I had to remove the mouse. Running on pure adrenaline, I moved the dresser, grabbed the mouse bare-handed (which I think was pretty close to death at that point), and literally tossed it out a window.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Today while in the middle of the woods I saw some happy birthday signs, I left my cell phone at home so no picture of it. Also over the last 5 days I have walked over 40 km, no long walks tomorrow.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

duplicate post
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/