Page 394 of 404 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396 ... LastLast
Results 11,791 to 11,820 of 12093

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

My favorite color is cadet grey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cadet.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	26211

We have this running gag where my wife claims it isn't a color, and I tell her Robin isn't a superhero. The kids love it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    My last 3 cars have had automatic wipers, so I can pretend to be precipitation-agile instead of even lazier.
    My car has automatic wipers and headlights, but I checked that I could disable or avoid those settings before I bought it.
    Now, if I could just find a way to stop it turning down the radio/media player when I put it into reverse ...
    I hate being patronized by inanimate objects.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

We have this running gag where my wife claims it isn't a color, and I tell her Robin isn't a superhero. The kids love it.
    Robin is just a younger Batman in his pajamas. Prove me wrong, anybody.

As far as car wipers, I wish I had automatically self replacing wiper blades! I usually don't realize they've gone bad until I need them.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    As far as car wipers, I wish I had automatically self replacing wiper blades! I usually don't realize they've gone bad until I need them.
    Hmmm... maybe the blade could spool out like an old style typewriter ribbon.

ďThis week on Shark Tank...Ē
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2021-May-28 at 03:57 PM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I had a car with an alternator on an armature. It would swing down for access. But if the car was on the ground, there wasn't enough clearance to do any work. On a lift, you needed to stand in a very unnatural position to avoid being hit in the face as it swung down.

I used to take this car to one mechanic's shop and sure enough, someone got hit in the face. It was such a memorable event the head mechanic would demonstrate how to remove it before letting others work on my car.

The amusing part of this was, this was the middle of the 90's and the other mechanics would react like Bill and Ted on an excellent adventure. "WHOA! DUDE! That's sick!"

The unamusing part is people got hurt because my car ate alternators. Worst hunk of junk I've ever owned.
    Solfe

I've been enjoying Mike Rowe's podcast, "The Way I Heard It". I mention this because I'm reading the "Does This Universe Have ~200 Billion Galaxies?" thread and don't want to mess that up with tangents. Anyway, Mike Rowe has two episodes where he discusses this topic. They titled: "Off by Roughly Two Trillion" and "Off By Roughly Two Trillion... AGAIN!!!" Apparently they update the TV show How the Universe Works and he recorded one number the first time, re-recorded it a second time when new data came out, then a third time when that was found to be inaccurate.

It's actually a very enjoyable podcast.
    Solfe

The thread "We are stardust" is about the chemical composition of the human body, and the cosmic sources of those chemicals.

By weight, by mass, by mole, by golly. We have a lot of ways to measure what's in us.

But we're actually 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. That's proven science. (Except me, I hate butterscotch. Substitute real Scotch.)

The thread "We are stardust" is about the chemical composition of the human body, and the cosmic sources of those chemicals.

By weight, by mass, by mole, by golly. We have a lot of ways to measure what's in us.

But we're actually 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. That's proven science. (Except me, I hate butterscotch. Substitute real Scotch.)
    Even without the removal of butterscotch, you still have 103%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Even without the removal of butterscotch, you still have 103%.
    Yes, I've been meaning to lose some weight.

Yes, I've been meaning to lose some weight.
    Me too!

As above, so below

My favorite color is cadet grey.

Name:	cadet.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	26211

I've complained in the past about needing more colorful cars, but I saw one in that color they other day and it looked very nice.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The unamusing part is people got hurt because my car ate alternators. Worst hunk of junk I've ever owned.
    Much less amusing, is that the automaker must have known their alternators were garbage and would need frequent replacement, or they wouldn't have bothered putting this one part on a swing-down arm.

I don't recall ever having to replace an alternator on a car (and I generally run my cars up to the 200k mile range), nor have I heard of a part on a swing-out arm, except maybe batteries or lights.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Butterscotch aside, what is "4% evaporation"? Evaporation is a process, not a material. Subtract that and the butterscotch, you get 99%. What is the remaining 1%? Whatever it is must've evaporated.

I think about 20% of my weight is chocolate ice cream.

I've been enjoying Mike Rowe's podcast, "The Way I Heard It". I mention this because I'm reading the "Does This Universe Have ~200 Billion Galaxies?" thread and don't want to mess that up with tangents. Anyway, Mike Rowe has two episodes where he discusses this topic. They titled: "Off by Roughly Two Trillion" and "Off By Roughly Two Trillion... AGAIN!!!" Apparently they update the TV show How the Universe Works and he recorded one number the first time, re-recorded it a second time when new data came out, then a third time when that was found to be inaccurate.

It's actually a very enjoyable podcast.
    I find it amusing that no one can seem to agree on how many stars there are in the Milky Way. I hear everything from 100 billion to a trillion. I'm guessing the real number is somewhere in between. The article (which I read years ago and probably couldn't find now if I were to waste energy looking) also claimed the Milky Way was actually bigger than Andromeda. But it seems more recent articles have a more conservative star count.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Butterscotch aside, what is "4% evaporation"? Evaporation is a process, not a material. Subtract that and the butterscotch, you get 99%. What is the remaining 1%? Whatever it is must've evaporated.
    Evaporation and electricity. Electricity is not a material either.

That last 1% is "unknown", like the "tar" Kryptonite in Superman III.

I had a mildly amusing Sherlock Holmes moment yesterday. A photo I posted in the "Stuff you just don't get" thread came from The Wife's Facebook feed with no identifying comments and no metadata. I wasn't at all sure but I got the strong impression it was the Pike Place Fish Market in Seattle. I've only been there a handful of times, though. Then it jumped out at me: the reflection in the glass. It looks like the Corner Market just across the street.

A quick look at Google Maps Street View, screen cap, crop and flip...and bingo.

Name:	IMG_0512.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	26212 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled (3).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	26213
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I misread that as "across the street from your house", then figured out it was across the street from the Pike Place Market!
    And I'm wondering who prepared the signs with European style crossed sevens.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I misread that as "across the street from your house", then figured out it was across the street from the Pike Place Market!
    Don't ya just hate incomplete?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

The crossed sevens are because it needed stressed that the price was absolutely NOT 19.99.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Iím American but I cross my sevens. Itís a habit I picked up when I went to grade school in France, but I find it useful as it helps to make my messy handwriting easier to understand.

As above, so below

I cross my sevens, but write my ones as a single stroke. So US/UK ones, European sevens. I think I started doing it when I was around 14, because it seemed to me that it eliminated any ambiguity--no matter who was reading my writing, they'd be able to tell whether I had written a one or a seven.

Grant Hutchison

I donít cross my sevens*, but cross my ďzĒs.
    I learned that in college as an engineering student with sloppy handwriting. It prevented confusion between z and 2.

*For some reason, my mother crossed her sevens, yet she had never traveled to Europe.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Don't ya just hate incomplete?
    I once met a man on the shore
    Whose limmericks stopped at line four.
    When asked why that was
    He said "It's because

I've seen crossed 7s a lot here. I'd guess around 10% to 15%. It never occurred to me that it might be an invasive Europeanism.

Hooked 7s, though... that's got to be aliens.

I was once sure that "gray" was American and "grey" was British, but now I've seen "grey" here so much that I can't tell whether "grey" has been invading (probably because of the surname spelled that way and a couple of popular fictional characters with it in the last couple of decades) or it's just always been this wey.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I was once sure that "gray" was American and "grey" was British, but now I've seen "grey" here so much that I can't tell whether "grey" has been invading (probably because of the surname spelled that way and a couple of popular fictional characters with it in the last couple of decades) or it's just always been this wey.
    Iíve actually looked it up before to see if I was using American or British spelling. I donít like Earl Grey flavor tea and donít often have need to measure radiation in grays, or Iíd need to look those up occasionally too.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My "7" is hooked and crossed. My "Z" (capital) is hooked, crossed and curly. My "1" is hooked. My "I" (capital) is serif. I'm very baroque.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I'm very baroque.
    Sorry to hear it. I'd lend you some money but I'm totally baroque these days too.

Sorry to hear it. I'd lend you some money but I'm totally baroque these days too.
    You should be sent into Hayden for that, and never be allowed Bach.
    As above, so below

You should be sent into Hayden for that, and never be allowed Bach.
    Amadeus, Amadeus... No, Ama doofus.

I’m American but I cross my sevens. It’s a habit I picked up when I went to grade school in France, but I find it useful as it helps to make my messy handwriting easier to understand.

I didn’t cross my sevens for most of my life, but a few years ago I was part of an Italian-American-Turkish joint archaeological project where the Italian dig leader mandated crossed sevens in all field notes for clarity and that got me into the habit.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

"Gray" vs grey" is one of my pet peeves. Never known which to use, although I've mostly settled on "gray" for the color.
    I've had similar problems with "Chili" and "Chile". Settled on the former for peppers and the latter obviously for the country, but then there's the soup/stew....