Page 397 of 404 FirstFirst ... 297347387395396397398399 ... LastLast
Results 11,881 to 11,910 of 12107

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    The Black Cauldron was a book before Disney got their hands on it. Don't know how the plot differs.

FLT = Future Looking Television
    I'm guessing a lot. I read one of the other books by the author and it's nothing like a Disney film. Way to complex.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    How did they discover that? Trial and error? What if they had picked a different pig?
    The previous oracle told them which pig, of course. What animal the prior holder of that job might have been I leave as an exercise for the reader.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

From now on I will listen to the twinkling of the stars.

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/pickles/s-2519625
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    From now on I will listen to the twinkling of the stars.

https://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/pickles/s-2519625
    We’re living through a 17-year-Cicada emergence. I think I hear one of those dinosaur-killing asteroids approaching.

(Actually, the Cicadas quiet down at night.)
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

It amuses me when people mix up the "Stuff That Bugs You" thread with the "Stuff That Amuses You" thread. ; )
    Sometimes they can be the same thing. I frequently do something about the "stuff that bugs me", turning it into "stuff that amuses me"

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabyte View Post
    Sometimes they can be the same thing. I frequently do something about the "stuff that bugs me", turning it into "stuff that amuses me"
    Here is one that falls in both. I took a surveying class and the professor noticed I was very good with aiming a telescope, level or theodolite. To the point that I wouldn't use the gross and fine adjustments dials to get the target in the field of view. His solution was to pair me with another student who was over 6 feet tall. I'm 5' 6". This meant that I would have to adjust the tripod for height on every measurement, forcing me to reaim, which would require the use of the adjustment knobs.

As soon as I realized what was happening, I borrowed a step stool from the library and carried it around with me. When I was the stickman, I'd sit on it. It wasn't until the end of the exercise that he realized I was standing on it to take measurements without adjusting the tripod.
    Solfe

nice!

Grant has me thinking about a disastrous job interview I once had.

It was funny and annoying at the same time. The HR rep was going over my resume with a fine tooth comb. The person was pretty hostile towards me, which was surprising because she asked me to apply for job personally. She told me I was perfect and everything. The grilling basically boiled down to, If I call these references, what if they say x?". So, I was being interviewed before someone looked at my resume and references. Once that was clear, I was looking for a way to gracefully exit the interview.

Then two employees burst in to object to looking for outside persons for this job. They were only there for about 7 minutes despite the objections of the head of HR. After they left, the grilling resumed however I was in a far better state of mind to handle it since I knew I wouldn't be taking the job. From the moment the other employees came in, I had my phone out and never put it away. I was having a discussion on Facebook, which was far more important than that interview.

I would have left when the employees burst in, but there are another 3 or 4 watching in the hallway, blocking the door.

It was so bizarre. I've never seen something that off-kilter.
    Solfe

Job interviews can go all over the place. And when you look at the outcome, you'd think you might just as well hire a random person.

The most bizarre we've encountered was an interview my wife had. They asked her a hypothetcal question, like "what do you do if a colleague comes in asking for a personal printer in her office?". So she answered something like "make a ticket, ask requirements, check policy on the subject, etc." No. Wrong. You had to refer the colleague to Mandy, because Mandy does IT. Ok, so you're looking to hire someone who already works there or what?

I haven't had many job interviews. The only slightly weird bit I can remember is when they asked me "do you consider yourself a leader?" to which I gave a nuanced reply about being able to work as part of a team under a leader when the goal and road are clear, but when leadership is absent I can assume the leader role to move the project forward again. After I finished my answer, I got a confused stare and the question "sooo....should I indicate YES or NO on my form?" SIGH!
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Not amusing: During a job interview, my wife was asked if she could cook. "Because all our girls bring treats for the office." At a government agency, no less.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Not amusing: During a job interview, my wife was asked if she could cook. "Because all our girls bring treats for the office." At a government agency, no less.
    When was that? I’ve heard occasional sexist stories like that from friends and coworkers, but usually from the ‘70s or earlier (at least with government, they tended to drop the overt sexism earlier).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    When was that? I’ve heard occasional sexist stories like that from friends and coworkers, but usually from the ‘70s or earlier (at least with government, they tended to drop the overt sexism earlier).
    Back in the eighties, there was a certain resistance to appointing women to senior jobs in the medical profession, because they'd "just go off and have children."
    So a friend of mine grew so weary of being asked, "Do you plan to have a family?" at interview that she borrowed a pathological specimen of a uterus and ovaries, preserved in formalin, from our local pathology museum. Her intention was to fish it out of her bag and slam it down on the table while saying, "Does this answer your question?" (As far as I know, she never had occasion to use it before finally landing a job she wanted.)

Grant Hutchison

I hope against hopelessness that this happened during an episode of a 1950s sitcom. As a government administrative professional who has sat on interview/selection panels, this strikes me as something fit for non-trivial things that dumbfound you. In my experience, asking a question like that is considered a Career Limiting Move.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I hope against hopelessness that this happened during an episode of a 1950s sitcom. As a government administrative professional who has sat on interview/selection panels, this strikes me as something fit for non-trivial things that dumbfound you. In my experience, asking a question like that is considered a Career Limiting Move.
    More like “Non trivial things that can end up in a lawsuit.“

These days anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    More like “Non trivial things that can end up in a lawsuit.“

These days anyway.
    Which plays into being dumbfounded. These days, with all the media attention similar cases have received, it's hard to fathom why anyone would ask such a question or make those comments.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Later than 1989, probably very early 1990's. At this agency. I was never very impressed with their competence in other areas. At least in the USA, public utilities like that seem like a good idea but often are not. They tend to lack oversight.

Later than 1989, probably very early 1990's. At this agency. I was never very impressed with their competence in other areas. At least in the USA, public utilities like that seem like a good idea but often are not. They tend to lack oversight.

That’s more recent than I expected. Ah, well.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I genuinely would not be surprised to hear about someone today who thought it was a good idea.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I genuinely would not be surprised to hear about someone today who thought it was a good idea.
    Well, we are regressing to the 1950s. Let's do the Time Warp again!

(*takes deep breath, suppresses rant*)

I love Loki.

Just before passing through the machine that detects if he is robot, he belts out, "What If I Was A Robot And I Didn't Know It?"
    Solfe

Let's do the Time Warp again!
    Let's do!

I saw a faked image of a man juggling three kids like a person juggling three balls, keeping them all moving with at least one flying above him at a time. Impossible, or at best insanely dangerous of course . . . but then I thought, what if it was done in low gravity? Mass doesn’t change, so that puts in limitations, and I’m guessing even the Moon’s gravity would be too much, but on Ceres I could see someone doing a slow motion kid juggling routine. Most of the work would be guiding the kids, and it wouldn’t be that big a deal dropping one, especially if on a soft floor. The person doing the juggling would likely need something to keep him in place. Anyway I found the notion of low gravity person juggling amusing.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I hereby claim rights for the first Lunar Circus and Lunar themepark. The former under the brand name "Lunartics" and the latter "Lunarpark". The slogan for both would be "six times the thrills!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I hereby claim rights for the first Lunar Circus and Lunar themepark. The former under the brand name "Lunartics" and the latter "Lunarpark". The slogan for both would be "six times the thrills!"
    I'll take the first Lunar Aerodrome. A big air filled dome where you strap wings to your arms and take off. Add a central blower to make an updraft.

I'll take the first Lunar Aerodrome. A big air filled dome where you strap wings to your arms and take off. Add a central blower to make an updraft.
    I recall reading a Sci-Fi story with exactly that theme.

I recall reading a Sci-Fi story with exactly that theme.
    IIRC, Arthur C. Clarke wrote about it in Earthlight. I'm sure there have been others.

Grant Hutchison

This made me realize that many of our earthly sports would be interesting on the moon. Not just because of the reduced gravity, but also the fact that there is no air resistance to slow down a ball or other projectile.

Racing would be interesting as well. Zero downforce, zero drag, limited grip. It looked like fun when they went rallying in Apollo. Imagine with dedicated offroad race cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    IIRC, Arthur C. Clarke wrote about it in Earthlight. I'm sure there have been others.

Grant Hutchison
    The Menace From Earth, by Robert Heinlein. (c)1957

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    This made me realize that many of our earthly sports would be interesting on the moon. Not just because of the reduced gravity, but also the fact that there is no air resistance to slow down a ball or other projectile.

Racing would be interesting as well. Zero downforce, zero drag, limited grip. It looked like fun when they went rallying in Apollo. Imagine with dedicated offroad race cars.
    Oh it would be quite challenging to play golf on the moon, but with air, and in an enormous chamber. The ball could rise 300 feet or more and travel more than 1000 yards!

The best thing to do about sports in low gravity is invent new ones that are meant for that environment, not just watch the same old ones happen slower and take up more space.

One story I read as a kid had players in a dome with normal Earth air pressure (maybe even slightly more) wearing not only wings but also a single ribbon several feet long. The objective was to pull your opponent's ribbon off without getting yours pulled off.