Page 333 of 335 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335 LastLast
Results 9,961 to 9,990 of 10044

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    LED's, of course. Meanwhile, now that we have our new house I find myself with a several lifetimes' supply of CFL bulbs.
    I have always hated CFLs, and have been gradually swapping them out for LEDs.
    Unfortunately, my desk lamp has one with a GU24 base, and I can't find LED replacements locally.

I'm sure they are available online, but I keep forgetting to check when making a purchase from Amazon.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

LED's, of course. Meanwhile, now that we have our new house I find myself with a several lifetimes' supply of CFL bulbs.
    Charities would be happy to take them if in boxes. The Habitat for Humanity folks specialize in construction and house-related products. There are several in Washington and Oregon.

Congratulations on not needing to buy new lightbulbs for several lifetimes!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Apparently there's a HUGE FESTIVAL in my town this weekend. And the first I heard of it was when we went to our favorite uptown restaurant and found the area kind of dead, so we asked the waitress.
    I am SO square!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've heard of very few of those people, but the ones I have are pretty awesome. (And I'm weird enough so the one that makes me regret missing it most is Stephen Tobolowski!)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Apparently there's a HUGE FESTIVAL in my town this weekend. And the first I heard of it was when we went to our favorite uptown restaurant and found the area kind of dead, so we asked the waitress.
    I am SO square!
    Lordy Hannah, after looking at that site I feel like a cube! I am beyond out of touch...

Regarding my not having heard about the festival....
    Having previously completed the Sudoku in the weekly paper, I picked up again yesterday to do the crossword. Guess what was the whole top half of the puzzle page.
    Stuff that bugs me: The paper printed the wrong crossword clues for the puzzle. Again.

... The paper printed the wrong crossword clues for the puzzle. Again.
    Yeah, that's my excuse, too.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

You guys use clues when doing the crossword?

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    What's the alternative? Using it to line the bottom of a bird cage, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    What's the alternative? Using it to line the bottom of a bird cage, perhaps?
    He writes in whatever words he wants! Screw the rules!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Our local paper's puzzle was so easy that I used to do it without the matrix. I'd start with a blank sheet of graph paper (later an Excel spreadsheet) and build the matrix as I solved the clues.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Tomorrow night, I'm supposed to go out with some friends. One of them has many food sensitivity issues, so we're going to a sushi restaurant, where she's sure she'll be able to eat. I, because of my issues, am reasonably sure I won't be able to eat anything, as I won't eat sushi. Oh, well--if they don't have non-sushi options, I can just hit a drive-through on the way home or something!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

On my twenty-second birthday I went to a Finnish restaurant in Thunder Bay, Ontario (as you do). The menu had four pages of herring dishes, and four items of "other food", which consisted of permutations of the garnish from the herring dishes.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I, because of my issues, am reasonably sure I won't be able to eat anything, as I won't eat sushi.
    I was pleased to learn that a number of sushi items come cooked, but you probably know this.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Reminds me of a business trip to California a few years back. I and a few colleagues took lunch at a cluster of eateries where sushi was one of the options. I quite enjoy sushi...sashimi, nigiri, maki, the works. One lady remarked about how she couldn't possibly eat raw fish, about how disgusting it was, and that she only liked sushi that had been cooked. This woman was one of the real talkers in the group, so this went on and on. And on. All while eating tekkamaki. Tuna rolls. Raw tuna rolls. I couldn't bring myself to tell her and I think I nearly sprained something while stifling laughter. I wasn't the only one.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I am probably the one of the few people how hasn't tried sushi. Although there was a job opening around here a few years ago taste testing uni from urchins harvested from the bay.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I don't like fish, full stop, unless it's battered and deep-fried. I don't like vegetables, pretty much also full stop. There is not usually much appeal to me in sushi restaurants.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I am probably the one of the few people how hasn't tried sushi. Although there was a job opening around here a few years ago taste testing uni from urchins harvested from the bay.
    I still remember going to a favorite Chinese buffet restaurant of mine, maybe 20 years ago, and seeing this tray of what looked like little coconut and vanilla cakes. When you're expecting a sweet dessert and get a taste of very pungent fish, it's quite a shock. I guess they had just introduced this stuff.

What'd one guy say? "Back where I come from, we call that bait!"

One of the shops I get a "five deals for Friday" kind of email from had an item that was mildly interesting so I clicked through to their website for details.

The item's only $4.00

But the generated (without limits) payment section of the web page says "Or 6 payments of $0.66".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I still remember going to a favorite Chinese buffet restaurant of mine, maybe 20 years ago, and seeing this tray of what looked like little coconut and vanilla cakes. When you're expecting a sweet dessert and get a taste of very pungent fish, it's quite a shock. I guess they had just introduced this stuff.

What'd one guy say? "Back where I come from, we call that bait!"
    I know my sister and one of nieces have had sushi because my sister showed a picture of sushi and my niece said "you had sushi without me?"

Hmm, new restaurant idea! Hamburger sushi! Fully cooked, of course.

I ended up being one of the only people from the group invited to go--and the only one who hadn't been told that the time had changed from five to six. So I got to sit around for a while experiencing First One There Paranoia. But I wasn't hungry, so it didn't really matter that there wasn't anything I would eat, and it turned out that one of the people there and I had friends in common beyond the friend we were there to see!

"You can't erase icing."

Hmm, new restaurant idea! Hamburger sushi! Fully cooked, of course.
    I think Ray Kroc beat you to it.

This should of been here not the bugs you thread.
    While walking along the rocks on the beach yesterday I overheard a conversation between a boy and his mother. He was wondering what gender his new sibling would be and the mother trying to explain how it is determined talking about chromosomes and such.

When an X chromosome and a Y chromosome love each other very much...

I've run out of excuses for putting a touch-up coat of sanded tread paint where it's worn off the front steps. It's forecast to be warm and dry for the next few days which would allow for a thorough washing of them to dry out.

But there were persistent patches on two of them that just repelled every attempt to clean them with soap, and the water just beaded. And then I remembered. A few months ago I was sitting on them applying a leather protectant / water repellant to a pair of boots and some dripped onto the steps. It works well on the boots too.

I have just watched this video, about the Peruvian cruiser Almirante Grau. It includes the line "Following the end of the war, with the inevitable Peruvian victory...". The war in question was World War II.

I found it mildly amusing to try to slice and dice a filet of Atlantic salmon with a not so sharp knife. The skin seemed like leather, though when cooked it is just as tender as the rest of the flesh. It was more amusing than bugging because the fix was simple common sense. Sharpen the knife.

You could always try to slice it with this thing, which is both amusing and horrifying. Per BigClive:
    Today's top pick of WTF gadgets on eBay is this splendid USB rechargeable pen that physically burns and cauterises your flesh with an electrified needle. Perfect for when you want peachy smooth skin but a slightly irregular bit is spoiling your quest for perfection.
    I've been watching the occasional BigClive video for a few weeks now. I understand about 10% of what he says but his accent is even better than Scott Manley.