Page 367 of 372 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 11,010 of 11151

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Wish I thought of that Kai.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    That sounds fun, do you have a link?
    I'm afraid it's much less fun than you might imagine, and particularly so if you're not an anaesthetist working in the UK.
    The text of the original piece is here on my blog. (I added the disclaimer at the head of the post a couple of hours ago.) And here's the Twitter feed of Biggles FRCA. It's clear the latter refers to the former.
    We'll see how it goes. People I know are interacting with the tweeter, and some of them seem to think that I'm responsible for the tweets. It's an odd situation.

Grant Hutchison

Frustrating, I'm sure. But it does give you the opportunity to honestly use the line, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out."

Then kill your character.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My doctor has scheduled me for a routine colonoscopy screening test and prescribed a "prep kit" from the pharmacy.
    Those who have had the procedure know that the purpose of the prep is to get your insides nice and clean for their close up.

I picked up the kit, and it was accompanied by lots of paperwork. One document had "category" box labeled "fast mover".
    I guess it could be described that way.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yes, the names can be very suggestive too. I have forgotten the full names, but remember ones with “go” and “flush” in the names.

Luckily, the preps are getting better. I had to cancel one when I was supposed to drink a gallon of prep, but it tasted so obnoxious and made me so nauseous I struggled mightily getting down about a pint with some of it coming back up before I realized I would never be able to complete it. (Also at that time, I was always somewhat nauseous, this made it far worse.) Then there were preps that didn’t require as much drinking but basically were liquid salt. I mostly managed to get those down, but it was pure torture each time I would have to take a drink. Again, they tested absolutely horrible and my stomach would rebel when the salt hit it. Even with that, I had to take anti-nausea medicine which helped marginally. I would avoid the colonoscopy because of the prep. The colonoscopy itself would be done under sedation so I usually wouldn’t remember it.

Good more recent preps don’t taste so terrible, are pretty easy to get down and don’t cause massive nausea.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, the names can be very suggestive too. I have forgotten the full names, but remember ones with “go” and “flush” in the names.

Luckily, the preps are getting better. I had to cancel one when I was supposed to drink a gallon of prep, but it tasted so obnoxious and made me so nauseous I struggled mightily getting down about a pint with some of it coming back up before I realized I would never be able to complete it. (Also at that time, I was always somewhat nauseous, this made it far worse.) Then there were preps that didn’t require as much drinking but basically were liquid salt. I mostly managed to get those down, but it was pure torture each time I would have to take a drink. Again, they tested absolutely horrible and my stomach would rebel when the salt hit it. Even with that, I had to take anti-nausea medicine which helped marginally. I would avoid the colonoscopy because of the prep. The colonoscopy itself would be done under sedation so I usually wouldn’t remember it.

Good more recent preps don’t taste so terrible, are pretty easy to get down and don’t cause massive nausea.
    You just wish it was a gallon. It was four liters. They should have provided you with a flavor packet, although that didn't help much. "Golightly" is the name I recall.

My last couple of times it's been an OTC laxative in a liter of Gatorade. Once in the evening, then again in the morning.
    "What color was it coming out?"
    "Green"
    "That's why we tell you not to use red Gatorade."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You just wish it was a gallon. It was four liters. They should have provided you with a flavor packet, although that didn't help much. "Golightly" is the name I recall.
    That’s it, that’s the name. Well, four liters isn’t that much more than a gallon, and either way, was far too much for me. This was around 20 years ago, so it’s not a recent memory and I’ve forgotten some details. I just remember the large container with the powder, and you’d add water. It did have flavoring, pineapple I think. I don’t think it helped at all, the smell just made it more obnoxious. I drank it with lots of ice and a straw going to the back of my mouth while holding my nose, that helped slightly. I tend to react to certain flavors under normal conditions and I definitely wasn’t feeling well at the time. I’ve made it clear since then that I would never accept it again.

I read the medical information on it, and I remember there was a note that about 10% are unable to drink it or bring it back up with nausea being a major issue.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Sep-05 at 01:00 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My last couple of times it's been an OTC laxative in a liter of Gatorade. Once in the evening, then again in the morning.
    "What color was it coming out?"
    "Green"
    "That's why we tell you not to use red Gatorade."
    Yes, same thing with jello, one of the few things to eat (for certain values of “eat”) during prep.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"Golightly" is the name I recall.
    Oh, the irony!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

My wife works in a "colonoscopy clinic" in a hospital. The scope has a device called "a blow out preventor". Sometimes it can fail.

It's not really amusing. But for two years she had been telling me that she worked in a "colonoscopy clinic" instead of the real description: "an endoscopy clinic". She though I wouldn't know what "endoscopy" was, so she used "colonoscopy". When she'd encounter an odd thing at work, she'd mention it. "We found a chicken bone, a key, broccoli, a packet of foil wrapped pills, etc.". Those are some strange things to find in a colonoscopy but not so odd if you inhaled something.

She told me a couple of stories that basically go the exact same way. A person stands on a chair with something in their mouth and falls. The item ends up in your airway or otherwise lodged in your throat, lung, etc. The person invariably looks like a nut because they combined having something violently rammed down their throat with a head injury. They don't honestly remember what they were doing.

This thought usually strikes me any time I go up a ladder: "Do you have some place other than your mouth to hold screws, nails, light bulb, etc.?"
    Solfe

You just wish it was a gallon. It was four liters.
    The size of a gallon depends on which country you are in. Which brings up another trivial, but possibly amusing thing.

A gallon is less than four liters, but more than four litres, even though a liter and a litre are the same
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

I have had a colonoscopy 3 times and am pleased to say that the potions the Doctor I visit uses tastes fine. It is only the quantity, in litres of course, that causes a problem.The first time I had to buy the kit the pharmacist said that my Doctor used the more palatable concoctions compared to other Doctors. Picoprep is the name of the main ingredient. Jelly (Jello) is also on his list of allowed foods but preferably Lemon and definitely not red.

It is childish I know, but each time I have read the results of the examination I am pleased that the "Preparation" section says excellent. I get a Gold Star for clean insides, yay

Solfe- If you are ever in Philadelphia, you should visit the Mütter Museum at The College of Physicians. It is a very strange place, that includes stacks of drawers containing things removed from people’s windpipes.
    After our visit, I commented that women of child-bearing age should not be allowed in. They have many jars of fetuses that took developmentally wrong turns. Serious nightmare fuel.

Back to colonoscopies, because of my clean history, my doctor offered the option of “Cologuard”, a test that checks for cancerous DNA in your poop. I chose the colonoscopy, figuring it can also find precancerous polyps. I may have a different opinion during the prep process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a polyp or three removed each time, so it's the scope for me.

For reasons I am unable to explain, we continue to have a landline telephone number, although we are getting it from the cable company these days. (And unlike their internet, it's currently working.)
    Twice in the past two days we've had messages on the answering machine saying "YOU HAVE FAILED TO VERIFY YOURSELF TO BE HUMAN. GOODBYE."
    Our outgoing answering machine message starts with "We don't answer this phone because nobody ever calls it but scammers..."

If you want a human please press 1.
    If you are calling to cam me please press 2.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Just a couple of days ago, I saw one of those picture grids where you're supposed to click each square that contains a particular thing like a fire hydrant or a traffic light to establish your humanity, but this time it was just stars & nebulas or galaxies. The caption said "click every square containing a Klingon bird of prey".

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Just a couple of days ago, I saw one of those picture grids where you're supposed to click each square that contains a particular thing like a fire hydrant or a traffic light to establish your humanity, but this time it was just stars & nebulas or galaxies. The caption said "click every square containing a Klingon bird of prey".
    That's hilarious!

An insider joke to establish your Trekkie cred. For the uninitiated, Birds of Prey are "cloaked" spaceships (IE, invisible).

Sorry, but I am just not amused at all by the Click-every-square lottery when it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    That's hilarious!

An insider joke to establish your Trekkie cred. For the uninitiated, Birds of Prey are "cloaked" spaceships (IE, invisible).
    . . . until they aren’t.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Really awkward headline on CNN:
    The former King of Belgium's love child is suing for royal status
    I'm not sure how I'd reword that but there's got to be some way to do it better!

I just saw a post on Starfleet Battles about a piece of sci-fi tech. It's a machine deep in the warp core that flips toast on to the floor to determine which way is down.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I just saw a post on Starfleet Battles about a piece of sci-fi tech. It's a machine deep in the warp core that flips toast on to the floor to determine which way is down.
    Heh. Just the other day I told a joke about "if toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you attach a piece of buttered toast to a cat..."

Heh. Just the other day I told a joke about "if toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you attach a piece of buttered toast to a cat..."
    You get a perpetual motion machine?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    You get a perpetual motion machine?
    That, or anti-gravity.

I had a cat who would have promptly eaten the toast.

Anti-gravity and perpetual motion?

https://media.tenor.com/images/5b68d...3fe4/tenor.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make coffee? It is probably going to bat the carafe onto the floor! Wow, I think about how much damage a little house cat can do to you if it gets annoyed or out of control. I wouldn’t want to deal with a 40 pound animal like that. It could easily send you to emergency if it had a bad day.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Make coffee? It is probably going to bat the carafe onto the floor! Wow, I think about how much damage a little house cat can do to you if it gets annoyed or out of control. I wouldn’t want to deal with a 40 pound animal like that. It could easily send you to emergency if it had a bad day.
    Heck, a little 8-pound kittiy has sent me to emergency!
    Do NOT try to pick them up after breaking up the cat fight.