Page 362 of 362 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362
Results 10,831 to 10,859 of 10859

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

The veterinarian from our old neighborhood posted today that a woman brought a cat to their office for treatment. It was a stray they had been feeding for about five years. It had recently started looking gaunt, so she caught it and took it to the vet.

Part of the office's standard procedure is to scan for an ID chip, and surprisingly, this cat had one.
    They contacted the owner, and it turns out that the cat had escaped through a broken window screen ten years ago.

The cat was diagnosed with diabetes, which is treatable, and reunited with its owners.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

You could have posted that in the "makes me happy" thread! It gave me a smile.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I debated with myself as to which thread it should be posted.

I can imagine the cat’s reaction to being reunited as, “Meh, whatever.” But I’m just extrapolating from my cat’s behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A statue of Robert the Bruce, a fourteenth-century Scottish king, has been defaced with graffiti tagged "Racist King" and "Black Lives Matter".
    Journalistic discussion has focussed on either of two options: 1) If seriously intended, the perpetrator was remarkably ignorant of how far removed, temporally and geographically, Robert the Bruce was from the oppression of black Africans; or 2) The tag was an act of white supremacist trolling,in an effort to make out that the BLM movement is ignorant of history.

I'm amused by the fact that no-one seems to be coming to the (to me) obvious conclusion, that a couple of wee local turnip-heads merely adopted the graffito du jour, without a single political thought in their tiny brains. But maybe all these Scottish journalists had a better upbringing than I did.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jun-13 at 05:59 PM.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    When holiday homes were an issue, a plaque to poor old Ralph Vaughn Williams was defaced near Cardigan, Wales. No obvious link to the issue. And peaceful demos hijacked too by “professional” troublemakers. Sad.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    A statue of Robert the Bruce, a fourteenth-century Scottish king, has been defaced with graffiti tagged "Racist King" and "Black Lives Matter".
    Journalistic discussion has focussed on either of two options: 1) If seriously intended, the perpetrator was remarkably ignorant of how far removed, temporally and geographically, Robert the Bruce was from the oppression of black Africans; or 2) The tag was an act of white supremacist trolling,in an effort to make out that the BLM movement is ignorant of history.

I'm amused by the fact that no-one seems to be coming to the (to me) obvious conclusion, that a couple of wee local turnip-heads merely adopted the graffito du jour, without a single political thought in their tiny brains. But maybe all these Scottish journalists had a better upbringing than I did.

Grant Hutchison
    Perhaps it’s just the circles I’m in, but it seems quite unlikely to me that someone could be aware of the slogan without its context.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Perhaps it’s just the circles I’m in, but it seems quite unlikely to me that someone could be aware of the slogan without its context.
    You'd be surprised.
    A couple of my more turnip-headed contemporaries at school, back in the mid-1960s, were collared while writing "Yanks Go Home" in huge whitewashed letters on the local railway bridge one dark winter evening. Dragged into class by the police next morning, and subject to ritual public interrogation by the teacher, they revealed they actually didn't know what a "Yank" was, let alone why some people might be expressing enthusiasm for their return whence they came.
    "It's a thing people are writing," they said, looking quite pleased with themselves--finger on the pulse, and all that.

(One of them later came very close to a sticky end at the hands of a local gang, having painted "Fleet Rule" on a wall in Kirkton which, as any fule kno, was Huns territory. I suspect he had no idea what "Fleet Rule" meant, either. Some folk just like to paint messages on buildings, and the content doesn't really matter.)

Grant Hutchison

Having never seen any example of "___ go home" in real life, I am not able hear of one or read about one without picturing it being done by a Jewish peasant and discovered by a Roman soldier who corrects his grammar and punishes him by having him write it correctly a hundred times.

I also am amazed that I just saw "turnip-heads" and "turnip-headed". I once told my mother, years & years ago, in response to the story of an especially dumb thing my brother had done, "His brain has been surgically removed and replaced with a spoiled turnip". I was sure I would never see or hear such a phrase again in my life unless I did it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I also am amazed that I just saw "turnip-heads" and "turnip-headed". I once told my mother, years & years ago, in response to the story of an especially dumb thing my brother had done, "His brain has been surgically removed and replaced with a spoiled turnip". I was sure I would never see or hear such a phrase again in my life unless I did it myself.
    "Turnip-head" is a sort of despairingly affectionate term, in these parts. The reference is, I believe, to the old Halloween turnip lanterns we used to have--a big bright smile on the face, but an empty cavity behind the eyes, containing only a dimly flickering candle flame.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Having never seen any example of "___ go home" in real life...
    Here (USA, South Carolina), that is fairly nasty white supremacist thing, and only ugly, nasty folk will say it aloud or on Facebook. I appreciate the humor in the posts here, particularly the Monty Python one, but in real life hereabouts, that phrase is the lead in to blatant wickedness.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

To get the thread back to something amusing, today's Pearls Before Swine explains a lot about my mind.

The kids have a picture book where the proof that one character is dreaming is that the other character is now floating, and has a turnip for a head.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I recall Worzel Gummidge (sp?) had a turnip head, but he might be too local
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worzel_Gummidge
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

A charming series to many...missed it here in the ‘States.

William Shatner's response on Twitter, which I shall not repeat here, was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from William Shatner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bWYhKtK.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	25325  
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    William Shatner's response on Twitter, which I shall not repeat here, was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from William Shatner.
    Happy that Captain Kirk isn't balding? Also, why is Spock smiling?
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Also, why is Spock smiling?
    Ponn Farr.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Thanks to the wonders of Cracked.com, I have now learned that paternosters are a thing. A horrifying thing to be sure, but a thing.
    Some say that this device may make a comeback!

https://qz.com/work/1868681/can-pate...vator-problem/

For the first time in months the auction company called when I was watching the last episode of the season of the hangout, they need me this weekend Friday and Saturday.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

My partner, who works in the finance section of the local healthcare Trust, just informed me of an invoice she'd received for a soft face hammer.
    Maybe that says something about me, I don't know, but it's amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    My partner, who works in the finance section of the local healthcare Trust, just informed me of an invoice she'd received for a soft face hammer.
    But where was the emphasis?

Soft face hammer?

Soft face hammer?

I actually have a few soft face hammers/mallets and in my expert opinion, if you have to use a hammer on your face, the softer, the better I say.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    I’ve often wished I could carry around a Nerf baseball bat to bonk people when they do something stupid.
    Perhaps this is the latest version for use on people who refrain from wearing masks while in close proximity to others.

ETA: Sadly, it is most likely a rubber mallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today while listening to a podcast, they do a history bit once and a while. Learned that the first international phone call was in my hometown. This region has a few first and oldest in Canada being on the East coast.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Learned that the first international phone call was in my hometown.
    Not entirely, I presume.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Not entirely, I presume.
    It was between Stephen NB and Calais ME, sometimes they act like one town but not technically.

I am rather amused that a thread I started nearly 12 years ago is still going. ("What are you Reading?" In "Small Media at Large")

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I am rather amused that a thread I started nearly 12 years ago is still going. ("What are you Reading?" In "Small Media at Large")

Noob! One I started 14 years ago today is still going and has over 15,000 posts!

ETA: OK, 13,000!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

I thought you built a rocket and took off to a better place.

I don't post much on forums these days, but I do like to drop in every now and again.