Page 336 of 340 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,080 of 10185

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    We are told not to wear any of those colors, it is safer that way.
    So you're all going to turn up wearing black shirts? So as to avoid making a political statement?
    In a funny old way, I suppose that's reassuring.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So not a Gay Pride march, then. (https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/qq-rb.html, for those in doubt as to meaning.)

Grant Hutchison
    I remember CNN getting all excited a few years ago about someone displaying an ISIS flag at a gay pride march in London. Except the symbols on the flag weren't exactly Arabic....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So you're all going to turn up wearing black shirts? So as to avoid making a political statement?
    In a funny old way, I suppose that's reassuring.

Grant Hutchison
    Others could be wearing white, beige just not the mentioned colors, I never thought of historical implications.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

So the nudist party comes up with new colours, precluding any clothes at all at the polling stations; and wins by a landslide.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Bentleys Gonna Sort You Out!

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    So the nudist party comes up with new colours, precluding any clothes at all at the polling stations; and wins by a landslide.
    Giving this Canada the poll workers would probably die of exposure, plus if that was the case I wouldn't work at a polling station.
    Another thing since the polling station is at volunteer fire station I don't know what they are going to do with the red fire trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Giving this Canada the poll workers would probably die of exposure, plus if that was the case I wouldn't work at a polling station.
    Another thing since the polling station is at volunteer fire station I don't know what they are going to do with the red fire trucks.
    As the man once sang, Paint It Black.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I have or had a tie that had a little character on it that said "If you vote for me, I'll give you 24 hours of Star Trek."

We have reached paranoid comedy season. My wife hates all air travel, and as a consequence, helicopters and airplanes. In the fall, a local group uses a helicopter to inspect something from the air. I have no idea what it is they are looking at, but they fly very low. Low enough for the pilot and crew to wave to people on the ground. Sometimes, they have to go up to avoid buildings, antennas, power lines, cross streets, etc.

This totally unnerves my wife. What makes the whole thing comedic is, it's a black helicopter. And not just a black helicopter, the crew waves at people on the ground, like its part of a show or something. For the next month or so, I'll get to hear complains about the "black helicopters" following my wife and winking at her and stuff.

I'm sure if I watched them I could figure out what they are doing. They are clearly marked in white, so I am sure call someone. I just can't make that call, because it would remove the humor from the situation.
    Solfe

The RCMP every fall would do a fly over to check how well a certain crop was doing, a crop you suppose to be growing.

About 15 years ago there was a group on a neighboring road that wanted to investigate mineral deposits in the area. They hired a company and the company flew a helicopter over the area doing very detail look. They published a report, they even put stakes in the ground and in the tree put blue ribbons and metal dog tag things and nothing sense. I think they found a small nickel deposit somewhere.

I bought glow-in-the-dark nail polish last week. Saturday, I applied it . . . and forgot that I'd done so this morning, when I was coming in from taking Simon to the bus. I put up my hand to push the bedroom door open and thought, "Gosh, what are those light spots? What's that reflected from? Oh. It's my own fingernails."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

For 15 hours hearing "how nice it was outside" while working at the pools and when I got home heard coyotes howling over the place, no matter how good the night it is I am staying indoors.

Amazon Customer Service Rep: "What made you sure there really was a problem?"

Me: "Well, the scene of Perry Mason I was watching was two men talking seriously in an office; the subtitles were telling me that one of them was named Judy and giving the other one an ultimatum that he had to tell his mother about them.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Amazon Customer Service Rep: "What made you sure there really was a problem?"

Me: "Well, the scene of Perry Mason I was watching was two men talking seriously in an office; the subtitles were telling me that one of them was named Judy and giving the other one an ultimatum that he had to tell his mother about them.
    As Jerry Seinfeld would say, “Not that there is anything wrong with that.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I may be losing my marbles.
    A light came on the dash of my 2011 Toyota RAV4, indicating tire pressure was low. So I went into the Safeway gas station, put some quarters in the machine, and inflated the tires to 32PSI.
    When I started the car, the light was still on. Hmm, I wonder if there's a sensor for the spare. Wait, where IS the spare for this car? Does it even have one? Many don't these days.

Did I mention I drive a RAV4?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I may be losing my marbles.
    A light came on the dash of my 2011 Toyota RAV4, indicating tire pressure was low. So I went into the Safeway gas station, put some quarters in the machine, and inflated the tires to 32PSI.
    When I started the car, the light was still on. Hmm, I wonder if there's a sensor for the spare. Wait, where IS the spare for this car? Does it even have one? Many don't these days.

Did I mention I drive a RAV4?
    I can’t help you find your spare, but I like the rear-mounted cooler on your vehicle.

BTW: Check your door frame sticker. 32 may be considered “low”.

The light did go off a few minutes later.

When we got the car I wasn't too happy about the spare, but we needed a vehicle right away. My attitude toward the spare changed when I lifted the back floor and saw there's basically a whole trunk under there! Unlike the Honda Pilot, where that space is only six inches deep, the one in the RAV is at least 15, and extends further forward.

My Dodge Dart has the ability to switch from automatic shifting to manual. That is really nice for a lot of reasons.

One odd thing about is how simple it is to do. You put the car in drive, then pulling the stick to left is lower gears and to the right is higher gears. It's sort of like a paddle system on race cars.

The odd bit about it is, it is totally undocumented in the owners manual. Apparently, it has been like that for several years running. I wonder how many people accidentally pull the stick one way or the other and end up in a panic? Turning the car off resets the system, so you can't (probably) scare yourself into a trip to the garage or dealership.
    Solfe

I've had the same issue occur on my Hyundais. The Low Tire Pressure light activates. I air up the tires to where they should be. The light doesn't turn off until after I've driven a couple of miles.

No explanation, but it's happened more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    As Jerry Seinfeld would say, “Not that there is anything wrong with that.”
    Oh, I'd watch that episode. They just wouldn't have made it in 1961! (The following episode had DeForrest Kelley!)

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Oh, I'd watch that episode. They just wouldn't have made it in 1961! (The following episode had DeForrest Kelley!)
    Here is info on the episode:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outing_(Seinfeld)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0697745/

We have two credit cards from the same bank. For a year or more I've been paying my bill by phone, consistently enough that they no longer send me envelopes. I just paid both accounts. The first one went through the usual automated process, but the second one sent me to a human being, which is unusual. I found myself annoyed at having to talk to an actual person! Times change, I guess.

My wife had knee surgery today. Went nice and quick. Now I have her set up on couch like a little kid at home with the flu. We have an L shaped couch, so I have her resting on the part of the L that allows me to barricade her in place with pillows.

"No, you will not be getting up for anything. Do you need a drink? A snack? The remote? Music? A DVD?" I have politely ignored the trips to the bathroom, mostly... every time it happens I have to shoo her back to the couch before she thinks of anything "fun" to do.

I'm only like this because she hurt her knee in high school playing soccer and then went on to take up boxing and dancing. She needs to sit it out for a bit. Give that knee time to heal.

UPS and the mail have been unhelpful. They delivered dance shoes today. Once each.

Edit - Yes, I did file this under "amusing". She needs a break and dealing with her is sometimes like dealing with a small child, so it's amusing.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Here is info on the episode:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outing_(Seinfeld)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0697745/

I think she meant the episode of Perry Mason. If it had that dialogue.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

The other day while working the polls on of the other workers told this story of a local politician who recently passed. The guy was in a local grocery store and saw the politician with a grocery cart full of toilet paper. The guy went over and said "I know politicians are full of it butt...".

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I think she meant the episode of Perry Mason. If it had that dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My wife had knee surgery today. Went nice and quick. Now I have her set up on couch like a little kid at home with the flu. We have an L shaped couch, so I have her resting on the part of the L that allows me to barricade her in place with pillows.

"No, you will not be getting up for anything. Do you need a drink? A snack? The remote? Music? A DVD?" I have politely ignored the trips to the bathroom, mostly... every time it happens I have to shoo her back to the couch before she thinks of anything "fun" to do.

I'm only like this because she hurt her knee in high school playing soccer and then went on to take up boxing and dancing. She needs to sit it out for a bit. Give that knee time to heal.

UPS and the mail have been unhelpful. They delivered dance shoes today. Once each.

Edit - Yes, I did file this under "amusing". She needs a break and dealing with her is sometimes like dealing with a small child, so it's amusing.
    What are you going to do when she needs to "go"? Because my wife badly needs knee surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    What are you going to do when she needs to "go"? Because my wife badly needs knee surgery.
    She can walk right now, but she shouldn't walk much. Arthroscopic is what I think they called it, not a big incision at all. My wife has a troublesome talent for dancing and boxing when she shouldn't, which is why we were at this point. And why I am monitoring her.

Pfft. Pain meds and a drive for shenanigans is what my wife is made of. I have to watch her like a hawk. Today she was "fine!".

"It doesn't hurt. I could tap dance like this..."
    "No, please sit."

In about 24 hours, she's going to be too tired and sore to move. Day 3 will be the monster, pain meds plus just enough healing and boredom will inspire some really crazy stuff, I am sure. There will also be whining about that lack of a shower for 3 days in a row.

She is looking at something more radical if this doesn't work. A more invasive type of surgery would be more difficult to deal with, I would think. Realistically, doctors want you up as quick as possible. But not running around like my wife does. We've talked about full knee replacement and I have a vague outline of what recovery looks like. You can stand almost immediately. You probably don't want complicate that with unassisted bathroom breaks for a bit, but not as long as you'd think.

It seems like torture, but those big muscles need to move right away. It really helps the healing.

I had hernia surgery two years ago, and I was back in action, with few restrictions in just a few hours. I "made" dinner the same day. I didn't lift much of anything, but I chased the kiddos around giving directions. That was 100 times better than when I had the same surgery in the 1980s. If only I had known to get up and move. Not run, but move...
    Solfe

That said, someone I knew in college injured her knee playing rugby and was definitely back on the field too soon.

"You can't erase icing."

I had two total knee replacements, a year apart, about 10-11 years ago. Osteoarthritis had my knees creaking every time they bent, and I was having fluid drained and cortisone injected every few months.

After the surgeries, I was on a walker for just a few days, and swapped it for a cane as soon as I could. In both cases I was back at work in four weeks. (Being merely mid-fifties, I was considered a "young" patient! My first return was so swift that on my second "short term disability" stint, the insurance people didn't bother to harass me daily about how I was doing, as they did the first time.)

My only regret is that I didn't stick with the rehab regimen longer, so I never recovered 100% functionality, just enough to get by. However, the surgery did eliminate the pain in both knees. (Now, I have arthritis problems with just about every other joint in my body, but not the knees! Those knees are still in good shape.)

(On an earlier arthroscopic surgery, I was up and around within a few days.)

My local PC World, apparently without any sense of irony, has effectively stopped selling PCs. Almost their entire computer display space is now dedicated to an endless array of ergonomically unsound laptops. Stuck away in a corner is a small table with five desktop towers on it, each of them labelled with a price, but no technical data.
    Oh well. I'm just off to Carphone Warehouse to see if they have any car phones.

Grant Hutchison