Page 407 of 410 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409 ... LastLast
Results 12,181 to 12,210 of 12284

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

We've been watching La Vuelta A Espana. Today's stage winner is supposedly 24 years old. He looks half that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We've been watching La Vuelta A Espana. Today's stage winner is supposedly 24 years old. He looks half that.
    Early in my career I worked as a contract employee for Princeton University. If the weather was nice, my supervisor and I would sit on the steps of the building and eat lunch.

One day, he turned to me and said, “Y’know, the students get younger every year.”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

There's a saying in the UK (maybe elsewhere too): "You know you're getting old when the policemen start looking young." (Old saying, from the days before there even were policewomen.)
    My father, when in his mid-eighties, once remarked that it didn't bother him when the policemen started looking young, but he'd recently noticed that High Court judges all seemed very youthful.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

It's similar for this retired military guy: the gate guards positively look like teenagers, now. Same goes for the military doctors. Even when I had UP3 (snoring) surgery going on 20 years ago, my surgeon look to be all of 14.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I actually got permission to break glass while working for the auction company. Because of of the way the truck was packed the glass in frame that a needle point picture was broken and had to to removed, the glass was removed but I didn't break much didn't want to do damage to the the picture.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    ... UP3 (snoring) surgery ...
    Haven't seen that one before. I had to stare at it for a while. Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, I imagine.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

This is today's Vuelta winner. I still say he looks about 12. Speaking of age, the oldest guy in the race, Alejandro Valverde has sadly crashed out.

Meanwhile....
    A little mystery! Well, 1-3/4 inches or 4.5cm isn't very big.
    I found it in the hall when I got up this morning. How it got there isn't a mystery -- it just got batted by the little brown feet. But what it is and where the kitty found it has me stumped. Clearly a cap for something, made to snap on, and perhaps to dispense something or other. But what? It looks very vaguely familiar but I can't place it. Where and what is the rest of it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thing1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	26386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thing2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	26387

ETA: Another mystery is rotating pictures in the forum.
    These were landscape when I took them and edited them. They show up portrait in the edit window, but the thumbnails are landscape in the post then portrait again when you click on them.
    Mystery solved!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	26391

As you can see, it's part of my level. Or at least you can if you click the thumbnail.
    I was going to add two new mysteries: How did this happen, and where's the rest of it. But I figured those out. I was last using it when working on the broom closet, which opens off the laundry room. While working, I got in the habit of setting the level and metal yardstick on top of the dryer. Apparently sometime after the last actual use I knocked it off down between the dryer and the wall. Why I didn't notice the missing bits when I picked it up and hung it on it's nail in the garage I don't know. Anyhow, I got the remaining pieces out from under the dryer and will attempt to put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Haven't seen that one before. I had to stare at it for a while. Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, I imagine.
    Exactly. I've heard "UP3" so much, I thought it was a common term but maybe that's just among the ENT crowd. Is there a comparable term in the UK, like "UPPP"?

On this very topic...

After my surgery, my doctor prescribed oral (liquid) Oxycodone for post-op pain. He also briefed The Wife about complications to watch for, like blood coming out of my nose. One funny/annoying thing about UP3 surgery is that beforehand, I'd never given a thought about the role my soft palate played in swallowing. That is, I hadn't until things started going up instead of down. My first solid food after surgery was breakfast—scrambles eggs, because we figured they'd go down easy. They went up easy, too. The Wife had a good, long laugh at my expense over seeing eggs come out of my nose. I unintentionally got even with her just one or two days later.

She walked in the kitchen immediately after I'd taken a dose of Oxycodone and just in time to see it come out of my nose. She had a minor freakout, then and there. You see, when the doctor warned her about blood coming out of my nose, he also explained it might not be red: it might appear pink and frothy, and that in any case, she should get me to the ER immediately. Guess what color the Oxycodone was? Yep, it was the color and consistency of Pepto Bismol and it looked quite frothy in my mustache. Now, I don't want to seem mean—because she was genuinely concerned—but the karma of the moment struck my funny bone pretty hard and I couldn't stop laughing while she went on about getting me to the ER.

I eventually did learn how to swallow again, although I do "slip up" from time to time. Nothing comes out of my nose anymore but a bit of drink (or saliva) will sometimes go down the wrong pipe, resulting in a coughing fit. Karma struck her once for laughing at me and it's been striking me ever since for doing the same. It's. Just. Not. Fair.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Exactly. I've heard "UP3" so much, I thought it was a common term but maybe that's just among the ENT crowd. Is there a comparable term in the UK, like "UPPP"?
    There's often a difference in medical initialisms between the UK and USA, and American doctors seem to be generally keener on initialisms, whereas Brits tend to just say the words. I haven't personally encountered any abbreviations for uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, but I'm conscious that I didn't get up the ENT end of the corridor much except for emergencies, so perhaps the ENT docs had some sort of initialism I'm unaware of.

On this very topic...
    On the "blood that isn't blood" theme, I'm reminded of a vegan friend I worked with when I was an Intensive Care Unit doctor. A few years into her veganism, when she still hadn't quite sorted out her micronutrients, she got concerned about her Vitamin B12 levels. She asked me if I'd inject her with a dose of the B12 used in parenteral feeding, but then we figured out that she should be able to absorb it orally, because there was nothing wrong with her stomach and digestive system.
    Now, B12 injection is pretty much the same shade of red as arterial blood, and it came in doses you could draw up in a 2ml syringe--which is the same size of syringe we used to draw routine arterial blood samples from our patients, umpteen times a day.

I was privileged to watch the reaction of the ICU nursing staff when their notoriously vegan resident doctor sat down in the break room, tipped her head back, and apparently nonchalantly squirted a syringe full of arterial blood into her mouth.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I appreciate your efforts to avoid spoilers about the name of the winner. We didn't catch the end of last nights stage as it didn't seem like it would finish much before midnight here. So we are all set to watch the last bit today. Unfortunately, this morning I had a look at the on-line news service and his was name was displayed before I could avert my eyes!

This is today's Vuelta winner. I still say he looks about 12.
    He definitely has a youthful face.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Yesterday was my Daughters 40th birthday - my youngest of two children - and it did amuse me how old that made me feel. We went for an 'afternoon tea' party at her house. All of her friends were invited and they were staying on for a sausage sizzle after we and her her partners parents went home. But what was even more amusing was seeing them, many of whom we have known since she was in Scouts, turn up with prams, pushers and little kids running about - talk about the circle of life.

I just watched bknight sail past on his cruise! Hope its a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Early in my career I worked as a contract employee for Princeton University. If the weather was nice, my supervisor and I would sit on the steps of the building and eat lunch.

One day, he turned to me and said, “Y’know, the students get younger every year.”
    It's similar for this retired military guy: the gate guards positively look like teenagers, now. Same goes for the military doctors. Even when I had UP3 (snoring) surgery going on 20 years ago, my surgeon look to be all of 14.
    My two most notable (at least to me) 'I'm getting old' experiences.

Some years ago my wife had a Crohn's disease emergency and had to be admitted to the hospital. I remember the two GI residents (a man and a woman) that attended to her. Both were very nice and did a fine job, but they did look like their total age wasn't 40 years.

Not any particular incident, but I've been volunteering with the park system I volunteer with for over 33 years. I long ago pasted the point where a lot of the staff I work with weren't alive when I started volunteering.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It's been over twenty years since my first "getting old" experience. That was a flight on a small commuter. The crew looked like teenagers that had just finished flight school and been handed crisp new uniforms they hadn't had time to get tailored.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    It's been over twenty years since my first "getting old" experience. That was a flight on a small commuter. The crew looked like teenagers that had just finished flight school and been handed crisp new uniforms they hadn't had time to get tailored.
    It's entirely likely they looked like that because that's exactly what they were. Little commuter airlines don't even pay enough to live on -- the pilots are there to get the needed hours so they can move on.

Just got back from the barbers and found out his nephew went to the astronomy program I did a few years after I left.

I have just read, at my other forum, first a new thread and then a post in a previous thread. In the first dated at 6:00PM my time, the poster described a fall and injuries caused by a slip on a path made slippery by his chickens.
    In the second, a third-generation parody thread* titled "Ear Wigs", the poster replied at 6:06PM that he used to have those but got chickens and doesn't have those any more.
    Yup. Same poster.

At least it wasn't Christmas lights.

*Parrotty threads are very popular there.

I may not know most of the details of the kids' school stuff yet, but I went ahead and checked Sandy's school's website to see if there was a supply list, since today is Errand Day and we might as well fill it while we're at it.

Spare clothing
    Diapers and wipes if your child isn't potty trained
    Spare shoes and socks if your child isn't potty trained
    Six glue sticks (Elmer's brand preferred)

I think we can afford that, especially as Sandy won't need most of it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I can see a need for that stuff if the child isn't potty trained, although I am curious and concerned with how they might use the glue sticks.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I may not know most of the details of the kids' school stuff yet, but I went ahead and checked Sandy's school's website to see if there was a supply list, since today is Errand Day and we might as well fill it while we're at it.

Spare clothing
    Diapers and wipes if your child isn't potty trained
    Spare shoes and socks if your child isn't potty trained
    Six glue sticks (Elmer's brand preferred)

I think we can afford that, especially as Sandy won't need most of it.
    I have bad feeling one of those diapers might hit a device used to move air for cooling purposes near me soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    [...]although I am curious and concerned with how they might use the glue sticks.
    With the pattern in the list, my off-center brain was primed to read: Six glue sticks (if your child isn't potty trained)

When Zane started preschool, his supply list included crayons, markers, wipes for the classroom, and all kinds of other things. If they've narrowed her supplies down to glue sticks . . . I wonder how much the burden on the teacher is coming to, honestly.

"You can't erase icing."

I've just visited a TV news website that opened with a video of an interview at the top of the page and sort-of related text below. So that's all pretty standard. But the video is labelled "You can watch this and read at the same time with picture-in-picture".
    Well no--I can't watch a video interview and read separate text at the same time. My eyes don't work that way, even if my brain did, which it doesn't.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Sep-03 at 07:45 AM.
    Blog

I've just visited a TV news website that opened with a video of an interview at the top of the page and sort-of related text below. So that's all pretty standard. But the video is labelled "You can watch this and read at the same time with picture-in-picture".
    Well no--I can't watch a video interview and read separate text at the same time. My eyes don't work that way, even if my brain did, which it doesn't.

Grant Hutchison
    It's really tough when you gotta move your lips while reading and listening!

A guy from the Smithsonian pointed out that if the US is supposed to host some World Cup Soccer matches in 2026 and it will also be our 250th anniversary as a country, there could in theory be a USA vs. England game in Philadelphia on July 4th.

And I really don’t know much about soccer but that would be hilarious.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

With Covid prevalence ludicrously high in these parts, we've occasionally been "dining out" at home by ordering in food from a UK company that sends meals in the form of prepared ingredients and detailed cooking instructions. Some of our favourites are Parsi dishes designed by Farokh Talati, which so far have proven foolproof. So a couple of Fridays a month we have a Parsi night with a bottle of wine.

The Boon Companion has started referring to these events as "Thank Farokh It's Friday". Which makes us laugh, but maybe the wine helps.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

[...] but maybe the wine helps.
    Fact check true. Wine always helps.

Well, almost always.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

And one of the most common side effect of drinking tequila is parenthood.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    And one of the most common side effect of drinking tequila is parenthood.
    Ah but, the Bard would remind us that it ...
    ... it provokes and unprovokes. It provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance.
    Though I suppose it's unlikely the porter in Macbeth had been carousing with tequila.

Anyway. I turns out that prosecco complements a mild Parsi curry very nicely. Who knew?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog