Page 409 of 414 FirstFirst ... 309359399407408409410411 ... LastLast
Results 12,241 to 12,270 of 12410

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

A dry summer, in these parts, with the result that reservoirs are low and submerged structures are emerging from the waters, like the old Backhills farm building and sheepfank at Upper Glendevon, which I photographed recently:

What amuses me is a newspaper headline dating from the last time these particular ruins appeared, in 2003: Village of the Dammed.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I'm talking to my son about replacing things in the house or buying new things. He wants me to photoshop a fake movie poster for "The Richard of Oz", a movie where Richard Gere plays all of the characters in the Wizard of Oz.

That is a the wackiest thing I have ever heard. EDIT - I thought that had to be a meme, so I did a Google search. Nope... but there is a rapper in Australia that calls himself "Richard of Oz". I have to give that guy some credit because it's hysterical, too.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Oct-16 at 04:52 PM.
    Solfe

After reporting a week or so ago that I had experienced my first magpie swoop of the summer today I had my first snake of the warmer seasons on the bike path. It was probably a juvenile dugite a little less than a metre long and quite slender. I didn't stop to make an absolute identification.

I had to look up "dugite" to see if it was venomous. Well, of course it is!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hah! I did the same thing and for the same reason. Luckily, it says they usually will retreat if they can, but they can kill a person, and are attracted to houses because they like to eat the mice that often are nearby.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It’s in Australia ain’t it?

Harry Harrison wrote a book called “Deathworld” about a planet where just about everything was deadly. TvTropes has a page about real world examples of similar things. It has two sections, “Australia” and “The Rest”:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...World/RealLife

It mentions that Australia is the only place where the majority of snakes are venomous.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I used to have battles with my friends in California. "How do you live in a place with so many wildfires? That's insane!"

They'd shoot back: "How do you live in place with 7 feet of snow? That's insane!"

And then there is Australian Wildlife...
    Solfe

Often in computer games, there is an unreachable, hidden "storage" place outside of the main gameworld where all the assets are preloaded. It makes it easier for the programmer/faster for the game: when the player encounters eg an enemy in the main gameworld, the programmer just has to move it from the hidden place to the player instead of "creating" the enemy at that moment.

I feel like Australia is that storage place for the world, and we were never supposed to be able to get there.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    A dry summer, in these parts
    Meanwhile, mainland Europe had vulgar amounts of rain this summer. Things really have trouble crossing the boarder since Brexit, it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I'm talking to my son about replacing things in the house or buying new things. He wants me to photoshop a fake movie poster for "The Richard of Oz", a movie where Richard Gere plays all of the characters in the Wizard of Oz.

That is a the wackiest thing I have ever heard. EDIT - I thought that had to be a meme, so I did a Google search. Nope... but there is a rapper in Australia that calls himself "Richard of Oz". I have to give that guy some credit because it's hysterical, too.
    When I think of Richard of Oz, Ithink of Richard Saunders of the Skeptic Zone podcast.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Often in computer games, there is an unreachable, hidden "storage" place outside of the main gameworld where all the assets are preloaded. It makes it easier for the programmer/faster for the game: when the player encounters eg an enemy in the main gameworld, the programmer just has to move it from the hidden place to the player instead of "creating" the enemy at that moment.

I feel like Australia is that storage place for the world, and we were never supposed to be able to get there.
    There was a Reddit post a while back where someone said Australia sounded like a country made up by ten-year-old boys. “Let’s make this huge island full of deadly creatures like sharks and crocodiles and poisonous spiders and snakes and weird beaver-ducks and giant rabbits that hop on their hind legs and can kick you to death! And then we can send all the bad guys there as a punishment! The interior of the map is… huh, I dunno, just make it a really big desert…”
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Our local news has a spot every night where they have an expert of the day talk about stuff like Covid or politics or science. Tonight after long break the person who talks about science was on there talking about Shatners trip to space also at the moment reading a book that deals with Kirk and Cochran who invented the warp drive in the star trek universe.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    When I think of Richard of Oz, Ithink of Richard Saunders of the Skeptic Zone podcast.
    I'm going to have to check that one out.
    Solfe

To tell the truth nothing in the Australian outback scares me as much as those nasty big meat eaters of the family Ursidae that you have wandering around in North America. We went for a couple of walks in Nova Scotia and even though I know they are rare there and Black Bears rather than grizzlies I certainly kept an ear open. Saltwater Crocodiles are probably the most dangerous animal we have that spend any time on land but they are reasonably avoidable and don't normally come closer to Perth than about 1,500 km. Like most countries we like to scare visitors with stories of dangerous, and sometimes fictitious, animals. You quickly become used to not walking in long grass by water or sticking your hand under dead branches on the ground.

Luckily we don't have the poisonous Platypus in Western Australia. The more interesting' dangers are things like the Irukanji jellyfish and other Box jellyfish but they are mostly far away from here. The local one is the Blue Ring Octopus https://oceana.org/marine-life/cepha...ringed-octopus and

As an aside, regarding '"Richard of Oz - I assume most on here are aware that Australians often use Oz as a name for our country. We are too lazy to bother, badly, pronouncing the whole word.

I used to have battles with my friends in California. "How do you live in a place with so many wildfires? That's insane!"

They'd shoot back: "How do you live in place with 7 feet of snow? That's insane!"

And then there is Australian Wildlife...
    We used to have that kind of back and forth with relatives in Kansas City. My late aunt would call up asking about some distant minor earthquake we barely paid attention to, but she had been through a couple of fairly close calls with tornadoes. She was fine with the risk of tornadoes, but earthquakes scared her. We were used to the risk of earthquakes (for one thing where I live is considered one of the lower risk areas in California) but saw tornadoes as a big deal.

Oh, and the risk of wildfires also depends on where you live. There are some very scenic places in the foothills that are tempting places for a house, for example, but too many places are near lots of unwatered trees and brush that dry out in the summer. There is still risk in the well developed suburbs in the Sacramento metropolitan area, but not nearly as much.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We live in a safe place. We get no tornadoes or hurricanes. There are no venomous snakes. All the volcanoes are east of us so the prevailing wind will carry the ash away. The most dangerous wildlife is deer, which cause auto accidents.
    Of course, then there's the Cascadia Subduction Zone....

I find it interesting that scientists can date the last major Cascadia event to the hour due to a combination of tree rings, oral history, and an orphan tsunami that struck Japan.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I was reading a retrospective on the 1984 Dune movie by a fellow who liked it quite a bit, and he mentioned that after he and his wife watched it together recently, she commented that it was at least less confusing than Tenet. That made me laugh, talk about damning with faint praise! (I finally saw Tenet a while back during a cable free preview week. I barely was able to sit through the whole thing and I won’t even claim to properly remember it all. I just couldn’t work up any enthusiasm or real interest.)

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My doctor sent me for an X-Ray. They gave me the results on a CD-Rom. The doctor took one look at the disc and shook her head. She put the disc on her tablet and stared at it.

"It's like faxing an email... or emailing a fax. I have no idea which."
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    We used to have that kind of back and forth with relatives in Kansas City. My late aunt would call up asking about some distant minor earthquake we barely paid attention to, but she had been through a couple of fairly close calls with tornadoes. She was fine with the risk of tornadoes, but earthquakes scared her. We were used to the risk of earthquakes (for one thing where I live is considered one of the lower risk areas in California) but saw tornadoes as a big deal.

Oh, and the risk of wildfires also depends on where you live. There are some very scenic places in the foothills that are tempting places for a house, for example, but too many places are near lots of unwatered trees and brush that dry out in the summer. There is still risk in the well developed suburbs in the Sacramento metropolitan area, but not nearly as much.
    The last time I was in California, there was a wildfire burning. I saw it with my own eyes. I didn't like it one bit.

Now if you live any place that has wildfires, this particular wildfire was so far away I could block it from sight with my fingers held at arm's length. Still to close for my liking.
    Solfe

The last time I was in California, there was a wildfire burning. I saw it with my own eyes. I didn't like it one bit.

Now if you live any place that has wildfires, this particular wildfire was so far away I could block it from sight with my fingers held at arm's length. Still to close for my liking.
    In June 2019, The Wife and I made one of our summer weekend trips down to Homer while the Swan Lake fire was burning. One the way down and back, we passed through an area near Sterling where firefighting operations were quite near the highway. We drove through smoke, saw a bit of fire and waved to quite a few hardworking firefighters taking well deserved breaks.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We've done the renter's equivalent of naming the stray, hanging up pictures.

You'll notice that they aren't actually hanging yet. I'm feeling a bit weak and I am unwilling to climb a ladder after dark. That is always a bad plan.

Why don't we have a saying about that? "Climb at ladder after dark..."

Ba. I can't think of a rhyme or good phrasing. Maybe that's why we don't have a saying about climbing ladders.
    Solfe

I watched a YouTube video about Buffalo, NY, the place where I live. I've lived here most of my life. The funny bit, the YouTube video proclaimed that people in Buffalo celebrate Millard Fillmore Day.

That was news to me. I had to Google "Millard Fillmore Day". I didn't get a great number of matches and one website suggested "Presidents Day" which is a celebration of all presidents. Buffalonians don't have a great affinity to that day either, unless your employer lists it as a holiday. Yes, we have a great number of things named after Millard Fillmore, but not many people know who he is, aside from a President.

More notable, we have a statue of Grover Cleveland. When people are feeling funny, they belt out "Grover!" when they see it. The goal is to sound like a Sesame Street character. Even that doesn't happen too often.
    Solfe

I discovered a "holiday" upon moving here which I'd never heard of while living in Missouri, Florida, or Pennsylvania. But it wasn't that. It was "Sweetest Day". Based on the decor of the frosted giant cookies on which I discovered that name, it looks like a second Valentine's Day, so I figure "sweetest" is supposed to be a noun referring to one's girlfriend/wife, not an adjective describing the day.

It doesn't seem to have caught on much beyond the bakery section of the grocery store, but it definitely does appear unique to this area.

Here is a good case of automatic processes being somewhat less than perfect. A woman with a jumper that had the word "KNITTER" on her top walked in a Bus Only lane in the city of Bath in the UK. The surveillance camera recorded her and matched the word to a car that was registered with a number plate that read "KNI9TER"and sent a £90 fine to the owner for driving in a restricted lane. All was sorted out ok but it is certainly grist for the mill for those who are concerned about video surveillance.

https://eminetra.co.uk/a-couple-with...s-lane/761426/

That’s pretty good, but now that it is clear that the video surveillance is just looking for text and it doesn’t do any kind of pattern recognition to verify it is on a car plate, I could see this being weaponized. Somebody annoyed you and you want to cause them some hassle? Just walk into a bus lane with your face obscured holding a sign with their license plate number on it. They should get a ticket in a month or two.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    In addition, that story included the fact that the photo was sent to the car owner clearly showing the person and the jumper. It was only human intervention that resolved the issue, during a phone call. It might have been even more amusing to wait for court action when that photo would be presented as evidence!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I'm surprised that there wasn't even an "sorry, once it's in the system we have to sit it out. You'll have to first pay the fine, then apply for refund." Such flexibility, unseen!

When I towed my dingy to my new home, I received a bill for something around $60 because the Delaware EZ pass system decided the truck and trailer were separate vehicles, and the second vehicle didn’t have a transponder. The photo clearly showed the trailer being towed.

I responded, explaining the error, and even showed my EZ Pass bill showing the truck being billed (for non towing) at the same time as the photo. I sent them a check for the $2 towed vehicle charge, rather than the $60.

Their response was “”No, pay up!” This seriously angered me, and I threatened legal action. Eventually, a human looked at the picture and they capitulated.

If they didn’t, I was prepared to spend several times the $60 on a lawyer.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I was thinking about one of my friends I knew in high school. He was a character, always making mountains of trouble out of mole hills wackiness. If Bender from The Breakfast Club was based on someone, it'd be this guy. Except crank the humor and evil attitude up to 11.

I looked him up on Facebook and he has a wife and kids.

I will not friend request him, it looks like he managed to get it right. Let's not mess with the natural order of things.
    Solfe