Page 236 of 355 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246286336 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,080 of 10628

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    And because I clicked on that, they're now offering me this one! If you'd rather not click and have them think you're interested too, it's Pickled Pig Lips. The other stuff that comes up with it is interesting enough to be worth it, however. Canned Alligator Meat! And have you ever heard of galingale? I hadn't.
    In my previous house, moved 1997, we had a small shade cloth covered front courtyard which was full of Galangal. It grew so prolifically that every few months we had to have massive cull to stop it overgrowing the path.

Not trivial for the owners, obviously, but the local news just reported the The Blazing Onion restaurant at Alderwood mall caught fire.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Not trivial for the owners, obviously, but the local news just reported the The Blazing Onion restaurant at Alderwood mall caught fire.

I'm reminded of an old Steven Wright joke: "The candle factory caught fire.... everyone just stood around and sung 'happy birthday'".
    Last edited by Swift; 2017-Feb-26 at 09:21 PM. Reason: typo
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I probably shouldn't find this as funny as I do-- so many things named Isis had to change their names because of ISIL that there's actually a Wikipedia page about it.

My wife got a notice on her phone about 20 minutes ago: "Snow begins in eight minutes." It hasn't.

I haven't watched L&O in years, but two cameos I remember in reruns from years ago were quite confusing at first: Lenny Brisco as a defense attorney and Anita Van Buren as a poor mother of a suspect... before they were cast in their regular roles that they would later hold for years apiece on the same show. (It's hard to remember that the show even existed before them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I haven't watched L&O in years, but two cameos I remember in reruns from years ago were quite confusing at first: Lenny Brisco as a defense attorney and Anita Van Buren as a poor mother of a suspect... before they were cast in their regular roles that they would later hold for years apiece on the same show. (It's hard to remember that the show even existed before them.)
    I don't think they were the only ones. I think Michael Imperioli (Det. Falco) was in some single-time roll several years before he became a regular. I wonder if it was a way to test out actors before permanently casting them.

There were also several actors who played different criminals over the years.

One of the assistant DAs played a psychopath once.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Interesting. In this part of the world, each dog or cat has an ID chip with a unique number, which is linked to the owner's address on a central database.
    AFAIK, the vet uses the same ID for record keeping.

Grant Hutchison
    You have six and a half million people in your whole country.

I saw that many people on my way to a ballgame the other day.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    You have six and a half million people in your whole country.
    Well, I didn't know there was a competition.
    Anyway - in round figures, you have 100,000 veterinarians serving 300 million people in the USA, and the U.K. has 20,000 veterinarians serving 60 million people. Same proportion, so it's not like you're shorthanded. There may be a difference in the number of cats and dogs per head of population, I suppose - but how would you guys ever find out?

Grant Hutchison

Rare (as in once every 8 years maybe) kids' birthday party (his grandparents' place) in our cul-de-sac (think perpetual nursing home on a Sunday afternoon). Other neighbors have two nervous little dogs who are let out twice a day. LO AND BEHOLD!!! There are CHILDREN in the cul-de-sac!! So of course the dogs, UNUSED to seeing children (or much of anyone else), are going absolutely bonkers; barking their heads off. And I'm not complaining; it's LIFE! HalleLUjah - life! activity! excitement!

I'll enjoy it until the next time (2023 maybe?).
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

My father had a role in a Clint Eastwood movie. He was a policeman in real life so there he was there in uniform with his partner, with actors and a film crew around a "body" washed up on a beach. This was late fall so the air is in the upper 40's while the water was in the low 50's.

They were to ad-lib police talk.

Except, well, my dad was my dad. They couldn't use most of the shots because my dad kept making the corpse laugh. The stuntman was half in and half out of the water and made up to look like a drowning victim past his self life. My dad was impressed by the make up. And every small wave soaked the stuntman to the waist. The line in question was a detective/actor asking sarcastically if my father thought the man was dead.

"I certainly hope so or else this guys balls are *freezing* right now!"

Is about the only printable line here, and that barely. Dad did something similar for four different takes. "Corpsed" the stuntman, as the British theatres called it, each time.

They had to make changes after a bit. Jeez, how do you get ad lib wrong?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

And that little anecdote goes a long way to explaining Don to me.

Chip. Block.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    And that little anecdote goes a long way to explaining Don to me.

Chip. Block.
    Before now, we only knew about the aircraft carrier that chipped his block.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Tapatalk has gone off the deep end. It is now showing me ads in what appears to be Arabic. The current one has an attractive young woman holding a large amount of cash. I'm not sure if I want to know what that is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We just had the sounds of a full-blown cat fight emanating from the bathtub across the hall. Lots of yowling, spitting, growling, and thumping noises. And only one cat involved. She does that now and again. My wife keeps a water bowl in the tub, the cat emerged wet.

We just had the sounds of a full-blown cat fight emanating from the bathtub across the hall. Lots of yowling, spitting, growling, and thumping noises. And only one cat involved. She does that now and again. My wife keeps a water bowl in the tub, the cat emerged wet.
    So, as opposed to the sound of one hand clapping, you've just described the sound of one cat fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    So, as opposed to the sound of one hand clapping, you've just described the sound of one cat fighting?
    Today's moment of Zen!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect these episodes begin when she notices that a fuzzy brown snake has attached itself to her rump.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We were just watching a Seattle Mariners spring training game and they put in Boog Powell as a pinch runner. According to Wikipedia, he's 75 years old. No wonder he got picked off first base.

We were just watching a Seattle Mariners spring training game and they put in Boog Powell as a pinch runner. According to Wikipedia, he's 75 years old. No wonder he got picked off first base.
    Hmm, the original Boog Powell has been dead for some time, I think. I'll bet this is another Powell who acquired the nickname. That happens.

I recall a Monday Night baseball game from the 1980s. Chico Ruiz entered the game, and the broadcast crew (which included Howard Cosell) remembered the name, and all noted that he was in pretty good shape for somebody well into his 40s. Well, the guy they were thinking of was already deceased. This was a younger fellow who rejoiced (as they say) in that name, so his defiance of Father Time was bogus.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Tapatalk has gone off the deep end. It is now showing me ads in what appears to be Arabic. The current one has an attractive young woman holding a large amount of cash. I'm not sure if I want to know what that is about.

That would be an oil price rise alert

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Hmm, the original Boog Powell has been dead for some time, I think. I'll bet this is another Powell who acquired the nickname. That happens.
    He's still alive according to Wikipedia, but you are right about the other Boog and the reusing of nicknames. Although same first "nick" name and same last name is maybe less common? I remember feeling odd that there was a "Pudge" Rodriguez playing. Pudge was Carlton Fisk's nickname (Red Sox), and hearing another catcher called "Pudge" just seemed wrong. But whatever.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Lupus View Post
    That would be an oil price rise alert
    This morning, the ad has three very happy women, with the implication they are from three generations of the same family. The text appears to be Korean.

I still have no idea what is being peddled.

I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Gosh, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This morning, the ad has three very happy women, with the implication they are from three generations of the same family. The text appears to be Korean.

I still have no idea what is being peddled.

I've only been using Tapatalk for a few months, but have noticed the ads becoming WAY more obtrusive over that time. Haven't got any of the foreign ones yet, however. At least not that I've noticed -- my mind just tunes them out most of the time.

Just saw a 3d printed version of the cosmic web and reminds me of the crystalline entity from star trek.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Just saw a 3d printed version of the cosmic web and reminds me of the crystalline entity from star trek.
    It also looks like brain neurons.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    He's still alive according to Wikipedia, but you are right about the other Boog and the reusing of nicknames.
    I apologize for interring the older Powell prematurely. It's nice that some of my favourite from the 1960s are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It also looks like brain neurons.
    The Mad Scientist* from Iron Man III also used this comparison.

* Not Tony Stark, the other guy.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright