Page 278 of 338 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280288328 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,340 of 10126

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Hey-ho. Kids are all sitting at home weeping over social media these days, so it's probably no biggie.
    Yes, I'd be considerably happier about my kids' being on social media than playing in a demolition site.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yes, I'd be considerably happier about my kids' being on social media than playing in a demolition site.
    Times change. If I showed any dangerous signs of sitting around the house just looking at stuff, I would be urged to go out and play "across the road" - which by turns during my formative years was a demolition site, waste ground strewn with uncleared demolition debris, and then a building site.

Grant Hutchison

Times change.
    Indeed. I spent a considerable portion of my youth ripping boards and nails from an abandoned house for use in “tree forts”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We use to have junkyard and played in the cars at times. There is also some stuff he salvaged from buildings like old telegraph wire insulators, if the were left on their mount it looked something like a phaser or ray gun.

Also a telemarketer called about a minute before a radio segment I wanted listen to was about to start.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Apparently, I inherited the most hated game in the world when I took over this classroom. I took it off the shelf and one of the students burst into tears. I offered to take him for a walk outside to calm down. I could not get him to tell me why he cried, nor could I get him to stop crying. Then we were hit by a huge gust of wind and I muttered: ĻI hate it when the wind blows through my hair. Itīs confusing, because I donīt have any.Ļ He started laughing and we went back in.

I donīt even say these things on purpose, it went right from brain to mouth with no decision making in between.

Whenever we leave the building like that, we take a particular route that goes under the windows of the secretary, the principal, and a classroom. We have a signal so they know where we are going - out the front door, half a block, and in the side door. When I got back in, I found out he wasnīt the only one laughing. The principal and secretary shot me a thumbs up, while the class we walked by sent a representative group over my classroom to see if they could get me to say it again.
    Solfe

When you thought you slept in but woke up earlier than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Apparently, I inherited the most hated game in the world when I took over this classroom. I took it off the shelf and one of the students burst into tears. I offered to take him for a walk outside to calm down. I could not get him to tell me why he cried, nor could I get him to stop crying. Then we were hit by a huge gust of wind and I muttered: ĻI hate it when the wind blows through my hair. Itīs confusing, because I donīt have any.Ļ He started laughing and we went back in.

I donīt even say these things on purpose, it went right from brain to mouth with no decision making in between.

Whenever we leave the building like that, we take a particular route that goes under the windows of the secretary, the principal, and a classroom. We have a signal so they know where we are going - out the front door, half a block, and in the side door. When I got back in, I found out he wasnīt the only one laughing. The principal and secretary shot me a thumbs up, while the class we walked by sent a representative group over my classroom to see if they could get me to say it again.
    I may have mentioned it before, but my son is autistic and does not speak much (expressive/receptive language disorder).

They cancelled school today because of the weather (we knew this last night before going to bed). When my son got up this morning, the first thing he said was, "No school." I confirmed there was no school. He pointed out the window and said, "Natural disasters. Blizzard." I had to laugh - it's not quite that bad out - but at least I know he's actually listening in school, and making appropriate associations.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    "Natural disasters. Blizzard."
    He may have a future career with The Weather Channel.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Times change. If I showed any dangerous signs of sitting around the house just looking at stuff, I would be urged to go out and play "across the road" - which by turns during my formative years was a demolition site, waste ground strewn with uncleared demolition debris, and then a building site.
    My mother used to be driven crazy by Sports Illustrated For Kids commercials, because they started with, "How do you get your kid to start reading?" She wanted to get us to stop reading and, say, clean our rooms. But she also wouldn't have let us play in a demolition site. "Outside" was one thing, but even there, she didn't want us to climb trees. Heck, and now, you can have people call social services on you for letting your kid play outside alone even somewhere safe.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

But, but Miss Gillian!

How will little Simon ever learn that stepping on a two by four with nails in the end so the nails pop through the top of your tennis shoe in it is only a "thing" if grown-ups find out about it?

You lose the whole rest of the day sitting in the boring old pediatrician's office while Dad grouses about doctor bills. Don't tell anybody and your back in the game 45 minutes later.

I learned that one by the time I was a 6th grader.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    But, but Miss Gillian!

How will little Simon ever learn that stepping on a two by four with nails in the end so the nails pop through the top of your tennis shoe in it is only a "thing" if grown-ups find out about it?

You lose the whole rest of the day sitting in the boring old pediatrician's office while Dad grouses about doctor bills. Don't tell anybody and your back in the game 45 minutes later.

I learned by example, When I was grade 5 another kid got up on some boards in pile along side of a path, told no to get up there but he did. He got three nails up his show and taken to the hospital to get a shot. (this not the first time I told this story here)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    But, but Miss Gillian!

'Certainly sounds like a way for him to learn tetanus and blood poisoning are things...

People doing stupid things decrease over the generations, my grandfather told a tale of him and a friend hitting bullets with a rock. Gerry Pournelle in an interview told a story of making some explosive and floating on a pond of pig manure. Then shooting the container until it went off and while spreading the manure all over including on top of the roof of the house. In the old days they did not have sites to dispose of materials like boards and such, and my grandfather needed to earn a little extra money during the summers tearing buildings from time to time. The good for the boards is that the will rot back into the soil, we scrapped most of the cars well there is one in woods that probably will have to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    'Certainly sounds like a way for him to learn tetanus and blood poisoning are things...
    That's how our generation thinned the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Especially around cattle, and horses in particular.

Freshly torn down buildings, not so much.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

While the cable guy was here (see other thread), the Post Office dropped off an unexpected package. It's a little plastic tool box full of chocolate tools, nuts, bolts, etc. from our builder in honor of construction starting Friday. And we now have a porta-potty in our back yard.

ETA: Please do not send your children to play in our construction site. Even though that's what I did as a kid. I'd collect bent nails and straighten them. It was kind of an epiphany when I became a homeowner and discovered you could go to the hardware store and buy shiny new nails.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yep, you know their serious when on those show-up. Wait a minute it is blue and rectangular right, did you check if it is bigger on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Yep, you know their serious when on those show-up. Wait a minute it is blue and rectangular right, did you check if it is bigger on the inside.
    Nope, I keep that behind the garage disguised as a garden shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nope, I keep that behind the garage disguised as a garden shed.
    I could use one of those for garden stuff.

With my niece in Italy I have not asked her how the food is.

I could use one of those for garden stuff.
    Five catapults in mine!

Third stone from the Sun, Old Country, the land of Saints, Navigators and Poets.
    With my niece in Italy I have not asked her how the food is.
    Great, what else could it be ?
    Eppur si muove....

This works
    This DOESN'T work...

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza

Ye were not form’d to live the life of brutes,
    But virtue to pursue and knowledge high.

Merriam-Webster has added the word "embiggen" to their dictionary.

I don't know what took them so long; it's a perfectly cromulent word.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I learned by example, When I was grade 5 another kid got up on some boards in pile along side of a path, told no to get up there but he did. He got three nails up his show and taken to the hospital to get a shot. (this not the first time I told this story here)
    Yeah, I'm hoping other people's stories will be sufficient for him to learn a lot of what not to do. My sister stepped on a board with nails in it when we were helping my mom tear apart our rental house when I was a kid. I didn't need to step on them myself to know it was a bad idea.

"You can't erase icing."

I was so worried about my kids stepping on nails that I didn't
    have kids.

Maybe this shouldn't be in the "Really trivial" thread....

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I stepped on plenty of nails as a kid. I also climbed trees, played in the dirt, and let our dog lick my face.

The Horror!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by UntrainedObserver View Post
    Great, what else could it be ?
    Tha is what she tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I stepped on plenty of nails as a kid. I also climbed trees, played in the dirt, and let our dog lick my face.
    I licked the dog's face.

My father, now - at the age of eight he was shot by a game keeper for trespassing on a local country estate. Bird-shot, while fleeing. He was so terrified that he would be found out and arrested for trespassing, he got one of his friends to pick the shot out of his buttocks, and squirmed quietly on sitting for a few days, but never told his parents what had happened.

Grant Hutchison

My class on 84th Street was shortened to half an hour because of the snowstorm and my evening class was cancelled, so there was no rush to get back to campus. I walked across Central Park to use the subway stop at the Museum of Natural History so I could see the park in the falling snow and took some great pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6698.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	980.7 KB 
ID:	23022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6706.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	793.8 KB 
ID:	23023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6689.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	23024

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    we always had a gallon of water is ten pounds and a halfpenny is an inch exactly. But at least a foot is about a foot. How about fathoms? can we fathom those after Napoleon sorted out nautical miles? I was always suspicious of that exact conversion 25.4 mm to the inch, the fathom to metre is way more numbers.
    It's easy to fathom fathoms; they're the distance between outstreched fingertips.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.