Page 281 of 335 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291331 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,430 of 10044

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Spam callers... I find it amusing to answer, press whatever button is necessary to talk to an agent, then put the phone on speaker and go back to the conversation or TV show I was watching. Sometimes my kids will say things like: "Dad, do you know your on a call?" and I will reply: "Yes, if you're silent, he'll go away." A surprising number of people don't go away and I can hear the click click of a keyboard for a while.

It occurs to me that this tactic is great for the agent. Many call centers have a threshold of a 1-15 seconds to filter out hang ups and pranks, but then have a stat for how long you were on a call. Usually, the lower the number the better. Usually this is based on an average call time. So if the agent hangs out for 2 minutes or so, it looks like they are working when they really have dead air. Great for your stats.
    When I worked at a center my talk time was one of the lowest because I don't really do a lot small talk, I am usually so stressed out at that that moment I couldn't think of any and found it hard just to remember the script. I tried a few things but I would say something like "I need the coffee to kick in" and the caller would say "your young suck it up". Some calls that probably would help were the ones that would call and forget their credit cards out in the car and had to get it. The only small talk I got a laugh with was "They are keeping in the basement see we don't get to see the parks."
    Plus Solfe there probably is a supervisor listening in one the call, well at random times.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I get telemarketing calls on my cell. I can see the number calling; if I don't recognize it, I don't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a VM.

One VM was a very short recording. "To be placed on the Do Not Call List, press 2."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Thankfully I worked at a call center where the people called you and didn't do that stuff or had to worry about that stuff but the wait time could be annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That Easter Sunday and Aprils fools day is on the day.
    My niece's birthday, as well.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Am I the only one finding it hilarious that Martha Stewart is advertising for Jack-in-the-Box? It's a good thing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My niece's birthday, as well.
    My niece's, too, and my brother's.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Spam callers... I find it amusing to answer, press whatever button is necessary to talk to an agent, then put the phone on speaker and go back to the conversation or TV show I was watching. Sometimes my kids will say things like: "Dad, do you know your on a call?" and I will reply: "Yes, if you're silent, he'll go away." A surprising number of people don't go away and I can hear the click click of a keyboard for a while.

It occurs to me that this tactic is great for the agent. Many call centers have a threshold of a 1-15 seconds to filter out hang ups and pranks, but then have a stat for how long you were on a call. Usually, the lower the number the better. Usually this is based on an average call time. So if the agent hangs out for 2 minutes or so, it looks like they are working when they really have dead air. Great for your stats.
    Certainly preferable than a lot of other tactics people use on call center employees. I'd rather a person who just doesn't respond than the guy who deliberately tried to make me cry.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Was reading Swift's responses in the Feedback section's Black Hole thread by Dr. Grant and every time Swift said Q&A by brain somehow changed it to Science and Technology and I spent five minutes pondering the implications of a stricter posting criteria in that sub-forum. Aside from about 80% of my posts not being allowed anymore, I was afraid we were going to head down the road to Physorg's forum. I.e. drier than mummy's flatulence.

But then literacy returned to me and all was well again.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

We need a plus and minus thread.

Last night, I had a beer or two at a party and this morning, I have a pounding headache. On the upside, I weighed myself and I am down another 3 lbs. That makes a total of 45 lbs since last July. If it weren't for this headache, I could probably do some jogging this morning. I haven't had this much energy in years.

I also got an alert on my phone today. One week until college spring break and two for a week off of work. So, relaxation is coming very soon.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

One VM was a very short recording. "To be placed on the Do Not Call List, press 2."
    I used to do just that, but everybody else tells me "No! Don't ask to be left alone! They'll just know you're there and call you more often." I wonder if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Looking at Pi day, as it's March 14th.

A co-worker pointed out some people (i.e. us who write dates correctly) use July 22nd; i.e. the 22/7 approximation.

On Wikipedia we noted that July 22nd is called "Pi Approximation Day".

So we did a quick play in Excel and confirmed that 22/7 is closer to Pi than 3.14

(I know this is ripe for nit picking on several specifics and precise definitions, and this could all go the way of an MDR thread ... but I 'aint justifying this post any more than I have.)
    (late to the party, but have been dealing with some family concerns)
    My proposal that Pi Day shooould be on January 3 keeps getting shot down. I mean, THAT'S when we pass through pi days of the year. This idea has the added bonus that you can celebrate it for every culture's calendar, on it's 3rd day! Yes? Yeah? Hmm?? Mm? Mm... meh... sigh.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Scott Wolter of America UnEarthed used google translate to translate ancient text.

My 13 year old son is often very observant and terribly age inappropriate. Here is a direct quote from him tonight:

"Why do girls tease and pick on boys they like? It leaves me thinking: 'no. Yes! Er... NO!'."

Sometimes, he is the fun-est person I know.
    Solfe

I wonder if Big Don has one of these Tomcat repair manuals on his bookshelf.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/th...1823952988/amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Why does it seem like it is always Thursdays we get the worst storms here, no garbage to take out but still have get the fliers at the end of the driveway.(actually garbage but no fliers.)
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-22 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Why does it seem like it is always Thursdays we get the worst storms here, no garbage to take out but still have get the fliers at the end of the driveway.(actually garbage but no fliers.)
    Because it’s Thor’s Day!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Because itís Thorís Day!
    Well, that would explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I'm confused. Was Thor really the Norse god of garbage and advertising fliers?

Grant Hutchison

Well I am thor of the weather.

A marvelous shaving kit my youngest gave me for Christmas last year. Has a badger hair shaving brush.

I tell people I shave with a badger. And they believe me.

Well at least this week the plow didn't hit the garbage can.

One more before I leave for a while. Why is it when you are cleaning and looking for things look worse then when you started.

It means you need to have somebody shampoo your carpeting.

Maybe paint the walls too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    It means you need to have somebody shampoo your carpeting.
    Haven't to getting to carpet, it is the stuff you find in odd spots. The carpet should go to it dates back to the 70's when my aunts had the room.

Part of the problem is the room is bedroom/office/storeroom it has stuff from when my mother was a kid to the present day. Plus I am like my grandparents bit of a pack rat and have things like old magazines, lab books form college and other things. Some of it should just be tossed, now back the amusing stuff hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Maybe paint the walls too.
    Isn't it interesting how fascinating those newspaper articles become when you're trying to paint the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I'm confused. Was Thor really the Norse god of garbage and advertising fliers?

Grant Hutchison
    No, just the god of storms.

Man, the Norse god of garbage and advertising fliers would be the most terrifying of all. "Please, just kill me and take all my stuff, but stop sending me junk mail!"
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Man, the Norse god of garbage and advertising fliers would be the most terrifying of all. "Please, just kill me and take all my stuff, but stop sending me junk mail!"
    Give offerings to Spamin, the Norse god of junk mail. (Odinís lesser-known son. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro