Page 326 of 340 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,780 of 10178

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "Man up," among other things, implies that growing up is inherently masculine. I wouldn't have called it toxic masculinity, though, so much as sexist. It sounds to me as though someone understood that there are people who don't like the term because of its sexist assumptions but didn't quite understand what the issue is.
    The phrase recently enjoyed a little spotlight of attention in the UK after it was used by one male politician addressing another male politician, and various organizations then chose to highlight how the phrase can come freighted with baggage that we recognize as having a potentially damaging effect on male mental health and the way in which men frame their relationships with women.

Having successfully escaped from an upbringing that was conducted pretty close to the LD50 of toxic masculinity, I don't ever hear "man up" used in that sort of context, but I can certainly imagine how it could be.

(The only time I can recall being told to "man up" was with the phrase, "Just man up and order the chocolate fondant like everyone else." And the only time I've ever heard it used in a calculatedly derogatory way was from one woman addressing another. I don't think my experience is typical, however.)

Grant Hutchison

Man Up.... wasn't that a song in the 80s by Cameo?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Fell down a while ago and skinned my knees. Felt like I was 8 years old again.

Watching Endeavor, talked to a Rhodes scholar by the name of Clinton.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Your explanation makes sense, Grant. We actually had a productive conversation about the phrase over on Apollo Hoax recently, because someone used it there. I believe, indeed, that the exact usage was something like "Man up and accept the evidence," which I pointed out implied certain things about me!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Your explanation makes sense, Grant. We actually had a productive conversation about the phrase over on Apollo Hoax recently, because someone used it there. I believe, indeed, that the exact usage was something like "Man up and accept the evidence," which I pointed out implied certain things about me!
    In the UK, the association of the phrase with toxic masculinity probably goes back to a book by Jack Urwin, Man Up: Surviving Modern Masculinity (2016). It's an interesting read. I kind of liked it and kind of hated it.

Grant Hutchison

Just outside moving some wood from outside the woodshed to inside then from behind me I heard, "hello there" it was a lady trying to sell cable and internet to the same the company that is coming out tomorrow to hook us up.

Last fall we moved from 201 Tree Street to 192 Another_Tree Street. An actual distance of about 50 feet, our property runs from one street to the other and we built a new house on the other end of it. Ever since then, the cable company has been sending us two or three invitations a week at the old address to sign up for their service. Which we moved to the new one. There isn't a house at the old one any more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Last fall we moved from 201 Tree Street to 192 Another_Tree Street. An actual distance of about 50 feet, our property runs from one street to the other and we built a new house on the other end of it. Ever since then, the cable company has been sending us two or three invitations a week at the old address to sign up for their service. Which we moved to the new one. There isn't a house at the old one any more.
    You should definitely sign up for it then, just to watch the cable guy when he (finally) shows up to connect the "house that isn't there."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I was cutting the back lawn a few weeks ago when a young woman flagged me down from my driveway.

She ďapologizedĒ for interrupting me, an went on to say that she was with <the phone company>, and noticed that we were getting wired communication services from their competitor.

I informed her that we had been using her company since we moved in.

I considered introducing her left hand to her right, but simply went back to my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Irony. unloading a truck for an auction tomorrow in 35 C heat and unload two electric heaters.
    Me seeing a book on sarcasm.

I was watching one of the cable news channels yesterday afternoon and the anchor was speaking with a reporter in DC to cover the July 4 festivities. She asked the reporter what the general attitude was toward the planned activities. The reporter replied, "Well, I was at the Rolling Stones concert last night and …" She continued with how the folks at the concert felt. Then back to the anchor.

"I'm sorry," said the anchor. "I didn't hear anything after 'Rolling Stones concert'."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You should definitely sign up for it then, just to watch the cable guy when he (finally) shows up to connect the "house that isn't there."
    My mother, when in her mid-eighties, once signed up to have a conservatory installed cheaply, because she was agreeing to have it used as a demonstration installation for other prospective buyers. It was a cold call, and she let them get as far as setting a date for the surveyor's visit before saying, "By the way, I live in an upstairs flat. That's not a problem though, is it?"

Grant Hutchison

Our 60+ lbs dog will flop on the front lawn and refuse to be moved back in the house. She will flip on her back so that she is impossible to pick up through all the flailing legs and tail.

Out of frustration, I rang the door bell figuring she would at least stand up. No, she runs to the door and begs to go in. At first, she would turn around to look out the window, as if there was going to be someone there. Now she runs inside and finds a bone, a toy or cat and greets it enthusiastically. If nothing is in easy sight, she runs to my daughter's bedroom and barks at the hamster.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My mother, when in her mid-eighties, once signed up to have a conservatory installed cheaply, because she was agreeing to have it used as a demonstration installation for other prospective buyers. It was a cold call, and she let them get as far as setting a date for the surveyor's visit before saying, "By the way, I live in an upstairs flat. That's not a problem though, is it?"

Grant Hutchison
    When my wife and I were first married we rented the ground floor of a house (the upstairs was a separate rental property). One day we got a phone call from our bank and the fellow launched into a sales pitch for a home equity loan (I guess he figured if he stopped talking I'd hang up). When he was done I asked him "Does one actually have to own the property to get a home equity loan on it, because if not, I'd be happy to take out such a loan." That stopped him dead, and then he managed to ask "You don't own this property?".
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Grant Hutchison
    #WasteHisTime19??
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    #WasteHisTime19??
    Had to look that one up. Yikes, that's unpleasant. What happened to just dropping mackerel down the back of his central heating radiators, and tucking shrimp inside his curtain rods?
    The cold caller was a woman working for the company who was doing work across the road from my mother's house - they really should have noticed that the whole other side of the road had even numbers upstairs and odd numbers downstairs. So I suppose it would be #WasteHerTime2008, or thereabouts.

Grant Hutchison

In the early days of "personalized" form letters, you might get a solicitation that said something like "Just think how one of our fine swimming pools would look at your Evanston home at Box #19 ! Don't miss out on this great offer to ... yak yak yak."

Last night a man got locked into a liquor store over night, he went in to pick up beer and the staff left without checking if there was anyone there. After all that he forgot the beer.

I just finished watching the Apollo 11 documentary that CNN broadcast about two weeks ago.
    It is made completely from archival footage and audio, and is very well done.

Here is the amusing part:
    As Eagle is being prepared for liftoff from The Moon's surface, you can hear CAPCOM reminding the astronauts to "pull the breakers" for the rendezvous radar.

Many Apollo nerds will recognize that leaving the radar powered was the alleged cause of the 1201 & 1202 alarms during lunar descent.
    (I'd once read that Buzz Aldrin claimed this was intentional, if off-script, because he wanted the radar available in the event of an abortive return to Columbia.)
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    (I'd once read that Buzz Aldrin claimed this was intentional, if off-script, because he wanted the radar available in the event of an abortive return to Columbia.)
    Yes, he said it in In the Shadow of the Moon.

What started out as being a possible tragedy turned in a bit of amusement for me this morning. As I was nearing home on my bicycle a car towing a caravan turned the corner of a side street in front of me. As it was turning, luckily at only about 10 km/h, the caravan jumped off the towball and the car and caravan came to a grinding stop - with luckily no damage. Apparently the safety latch had not been engaged. I offered to help but the driver was well organised and had a warning triangle behind the obstruction within a minute and was fishing out his jack to put everything back together again. As I said to him, he was lucky that it happened where it did - and at such a low speed. A major road was only a couple of hundred metres ahead.

What amused me was that within 3 or 4 minutes there were about 5 people watching him do his running repairs - in fairness some were offering help. I got the impression that he would have been able to sell tickets for a better view by the time he had finished. I also have a mental image of the stony silence in the towing 4WD afterwards - interspersed with pointed questions about who had forgotten to engage the latch and who had forgotten to check everything was ok.

Rearranging things so the guy hooking up new cable can get the cable thru better and found old phys society yearbook.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/...80227797848064

Actually now they cut some trees and clear brush to hook it a another power line from the transformer. So I don't know what is going on.

Today while out on a walk I stopped by a store. My friend has a video series and his son shows up once and a while. I saw his son and almost said hi, since I have seen him I thought I knew him.

Saw a restaurant menu that had a Kids Section on one page. It offered the usual chicken nuggets, pizza slice, spaghetti ... and The Pirate Plate.

"You get an empty plate and cutlery, then steal food from your parent's plates."

There was no charge for this one.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Saw a restaurant menu that had a Kids Section on one page. It offered the usual chicken nuggets, pizza slice, spaghetti ... and The Pirate Plate.

"You get an empty plate and cutlery, then steal food from your parent's plates."

There was no charge for this one.

I guess it was better than "You get an empty plate and a boarding party and you raid food from other tables".

This shouldn't really be funny...but:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...et/1740780001/

The scalpel blade removers I just ordered are in the "Stationary and Office Supplies" section at Amazon.

Grant Hutchison

The scalpel blade removers I just ordered are in the "Stationary and Office Supplies" section at Amazon.

Grant Hutchison
    You doctors started it when you started using staples in patients.

I wonder if more scalpels get used for precise paper cutting than for cutting humans. I've used Xacto knives for years and I think they are basically scalpels.