Page 329 of 336 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,870 of 10056

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Canned haggis? Merciful heavens, is there such a thing? I imagine it's as much like haggis as canned sausage meat resembles an actual sausage.

Grant Hutchison
    Friends who hail from near Glasgow brought it back from a trip to visit their parents. Knowing the recipe I thought it strange as well. And more than a little frightening....

They seemed to like it but I had no basis for comparison.

ETA: And available from Amazon:

ETA2: (And as Discworld Gods as my witnesses I did not notice this was "Grant's" Haggis until I checked the link just now.)

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ETA2: (And as Discworld Gods as my witnesses I did not notice this was "Grant's" Haggis until I checked the link just now.)
    Hmmm. An Ayrshire-based company who seem to specialize in putting stuff in cans that would be better left uncanned. Not to be confused with Grants of Speyside, who are moderately famous Scottish butchers who produce real haggis.

Grant Hutchison

Just for you, Grant!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Just for you, Grant!
    Well, that's kind, and I'm sure she's a perfectly nice person, but Emmy ate my will to live after the first 30 seconds.

Grant Hutchison

There seems to be a whole genre of videos on YouTube of people from one culture trying foods from other cultures. One series I saw were Koreans trying various American foods (BBQ, pizza, various desserts, Thanksgiving foods). There were other ones of Americans trying Japanese treats and snacks, and Irish trying all sorts of things from the Americas, Europe, and Asia. I find them amusing.

One particularly amusing aspect is when some poor example of the foreign culture's food has already been introduced into their country, but then they get to sample the "real" version of it. Often the real version is better (real Mexican from a real chef is better than Taco Bell), but sometimes it works the other way, particularly when the introduced food has been adapted for the new country.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

At age 14 I had a superheated adventure with the real thing, specifically a Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles. I stirred half a teaspoon of hot sauce into a bowl of soup and tasted it. It seemed unremarkable so I added another half teaspoon. Then I learned that this hot pepper has a delayed action, and I was steaming but good after a couple of minutes, but I finished it. My dad told me I was a good sport about it.

All this talk of canned foods reminds me of a strange trip I had to Minnesota. We rolled into our hotel at around 3 A.M. The woman at the desk greeted us with an incredibly bright and cheerful: "WELCOME TO SPAMTOWN, USA!"

She was so loud, I tried to retract my head down in to my rib cage. I was so tired, I couldn't figure out where to go with this conversation. I asked my wife to translate for me. Unfortunately, she also heard: "Welcome to Spamtown, USA!", so neither of us knew what to do next. Eventually, they gave us a bed and the problem was resolved.
    Solfe

(Checks Wikipedia) - Oh, Austin, Minnesota. The home of Hormel Foods, makers of Spam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Iíve had a successful run at getting the correct answer to Final Jeopardy recently, even though there have been several nights where none of the contestants knew the proper response.

Mrs. Extravoice insists that Iím somehow cheating, even accusing our cat of being in collusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I found an elderly cookbook a while back that referenced canned tortillas. Apparently, my aunt and a former teacher, both native Californians, have had such a thing, and it is just as terrible as it sounds.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I found an elderly cookbook a while back that referenced canned tortillas. Apparently, my aunt and a former teacher, both native Californians, have had such a thing, and it is just as terrible as it sounds.
    There was a M*A*S*H episode where someone (I think it was Charlies) got a canned pheasant or game hen from home. I always thought that was a very weird thing (canned bird).

Pheasant; he shared it with Margaret, and they both got food poisoning. Once, in a grocery store, I saw a generic can labeled "One Whole Chicken" and found it fairly alarming. There's also several stores in our area that sell canned escargot--including a tube of snail shells alongside it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Isn't pheasant supposed to be served … errrr, slightly rotten?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Isn't pheasant supposed to be served Ö errrr, slightly rotten?
    Nah. All the stuff about maggots and waiting for the head to drop off is an ... um ... rural myth. You very much don't want it to be even remotely rotten.
    You can eat pheasant fresh, and it tastes like a chewy chicken. Hang it for a few days, at a controlled temperature, and it turns a bit more tender and a bit more gamey. But you don't hang birds that have been gut-shot, or extensively damaged, or chewed by the dog, unless you want to visit a world of bacteriological hurt.

Grant Hutchison

The local newspaper's A-boards positioned outside newsagents in my home town are a fairly constant source of amusement, but today's selection pretty much epitomizes its weirdly gentrified target demographic:

THIEF STOLE LAPTOP TO PAY FOR DRUGS (well, duh)
    RESIDENTS IN RACE TO SAVE HURT DUCK

A previous favourite was

UNICYCLING PAPER-GIRL - PICTURES

Grant Hutchison

A former co-worker of mine was the unicycling paper-boy when he was a kid. Or so he said, I wasn't there at the time.

The local newspaper's A-boards positioned outside newsagents in my home town are a fairly constant source of amusement, but today's selection pretty much epitomizes its weirdly gentrified target demographic:

THIEF STOLE LAPTOP TO PAY FOR DRUGS (well, duh)
    RESIDENTS IN RACE TO SAVE HURT DUCK

A previous favourite was

Grant Hutchison
    I have to ask. Was the unicycling paper girl on page 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    The reviving of the "Reality" thread after months of merciful dormancy.
    I could not resist taking a peek. It appears to be the same handful of people belaboring the same tired old boring arguments.

Been watching season 3 of "Stranger Things".

Throughout the season, I found myself occasionally wondering who the actor playing the Mayor was - he reminded me of Cary Elwes, especially with some of his facial expressions.

Watched the final episode last night and sat through the end credits. It was Cary Elwes.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I prefer sugar and spice regardless of cycle.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

My Sunday paper big crossword is a bit messy today as I had to scribble over part of "Sudoku" as I spelled it incorrectly and had to "fix" it to fit another word.

It's the puzzle page.

"Sudoku" is one of the section headlines.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

My contract's been renewed but someone forgot to tell the security folk (edit ...) dropped the ball.

Logging in this morning I get an account expired error.

I get in very early, so now being paid to read CQ while I wait for someone who can approve my access to arrive.

Edit ... Then I'm told it takes so long to get reinstated, I may as well go home. Still get paid for the day. Far Cry New Dawn here I come ...
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2019-Aug-04 at 09:55 PM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    My contract's been renewed but ...
    This confused me for a second before I remembered you're not a Mod here anymore.

In similar news, my employer issued an email last week saying that for security reasons they would now send emails when someone had left the company. Then named the latest someone. (The concern is an employee may open the badge-protected door for someone who is no longer an employee.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

One of the people in our booth this weekend was dressed as a faun. Someone complimented his antlers at one point, and what several people heard instead was "ant nurse." We all developed a mental image of an ant dressed as Florence Nightingale.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of the people in our booth this weekend was dressed as a faun. Someone complimented his antlers at one point, and what several people heard instead was "ant nurse." We all developed a mental image of an ant dressed as Florence Nightingale.
    Ant nurse
    African Matabele ants dress the wounds of comrades injured during hunting raids and nurse them back to health, according to an "astonishing" discovery reported Wednesday.

After collecting their wounded from the battlefield and carrying them back home, nestmates become medics, massing around patients for "intense licking" of open wounds, according to a study in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

This behaviour reduces the fatality rate from about 80 percent of injured soldiers to a mere 10 percent, researchers observed.

The study claimed to be the first to show such nursing behaviour in any non-human animal.

Awesome!

"You can't erase icing."

A couple of months ago my niece and her husband adopted a couple of neglected rabbits, a white female and a black male. They got the male fixed a couple of weeks ago.
    Sunday we picked them up at their house for our road trip and got to meet the bunnies. Cute.
    This morning my niece got a text that there are four baby bunnies in the back yard. Oops. They're fairly big, at least a few weeks old. Apparently mama's been hiding them until today.

An hour after we had the trees trimmed so the new internet/cable company, I saw the old internet/cable company's van pull away from the pole.

People who try tell you something you know like the sound of an animal you know what is sounds like and try to tell you it is something else/ Like when I hear coyotes in the field in the field and someone tries to say. "no they were dogs." I know the difference coyotes have been sighted around here and been shot. Could you imagine something sillier than that just to try to prove more intelligent then you, what childish mind.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A couple of months ago my niece and her husband adopted a couple of neglected rabbits, a white female and a black male. They got the male fixed a couple of weeks ago.
    Sunday we picked them up at their house for our road trip and got to meet the bunnies. Cute.
    This morning my niece got a text that there are four baby bunnies in the back yard. Oops. They're fairly big, at least a few weeks old. Apparently mama's been hiding them until today.
    Oops. Now one of them died. It's upsetting my niece.

Of course the day my body decided to wake up without the alarm clock on my cell phone would be a rainy, foggy day.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/