Page 330 of 335 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,900 of 10044

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

There was a Slytherin in full costume in the gift shop at Old Faithful.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Working in education, I have to tell you, there are some really bad days. However, thanks to my child, I have the ultimate "your day was not that bad" story.

My son is learning to fly an airplane in high school. He was up in the plane with the instructor to do "stall recoveries".

There are two ways to stall an airplane: 1) you are going too slow for a maneuver and the plane beings to fall. 2) The engine stops and you proceed to stall type 1.

Either the instructor didn't specify which one they would be working on, or more likely, my son wasn't listening. So, Paul kills the throttle, pulls the nose up and before the instructor could do anything, turns off the engine.

That teacher has to be the most hardcore person on the face of the planet because he's still teaching my son to fly.

I've had a lot of training for hard educational situations, but I have no idea how to even begin to handle that one. Sobbing quietly comes to mind, but after that, I have nothing.

I have to laugh because I am in direct communication with this instructor on a weekly basis and he is so calm about things that would make me cry.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Working in education, I have to tell you, there are some really bad days. However, thanks to my child, I have the ultimate "your day was not that bad" story.

My son is learning to fly an airplane in high school. He was up in the plane with the instructor to do "stall recoveries".

There are two ways to stall an airplane: 1) you are going too slow for a maneuver and the plane beings to fall. 2) The engine stops and you proceed to stall type 1.

Either the instructor didn't specify which one they would be working on, or more likely, my son wasn't listening. So, Paul kills the throttle, pulls the nose up and before the instructor could do anything, turns off the engine.

That teacher has to be the most hardcore person on the face of the planet because he's still teaching my son to fly.

I've had a lot of training for hard educational situations, but I have no idea how to even begin to handle that one. Sobbing quietly comes to mind, but after that, I have nothing.

I have to laugh because I am in direct communication with this instructor on a weekly basis and he is so calm about things that would make me cry.
    My hunch is that other pupils before your son had done the same thing. Clearly the instructor knew exactly what to do and I would guess they recovered without losing much altitude. The instructor certainly has the right temperament for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    My hunch is that other pupils before your son had done the same thing. Clearly the instructor knew exactly what to do and I would guess they recovered without losing much altitude. The instructor certainly has the right temperament for the job.
    You also start doing stall recovery practice with a load of altitude to spare to cover all eventualities - aiming to recover with at least 1500ft to spare. And you don't need power to recovery from a stall. In fact, normal training aircraft kind of sort themselves out - nosing over into a descent and recovering lift. It's quite difficult to make them spin.
    That said, "power off" stall recovery is a bit of a misnomer, since it simulates a stall with a low power setting (as on approach), as opposed to a "power on", which simulates a stall with a high power setting (as on take-off). Even when you practice specifically for engine failure in a piston engine plane, you just push the throttle to idle.

(I have a large supply of "your day was not that bad" stories, but generally the trainee was trying to kill the patient, not me.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    (I have a large supply of "your day was not that bad" stories, but generally the trainee was trying to kill the patient, not me.)

Grant Hutchison
    Funny conversation I had in an ER, many years ago.

"What kind of soup was it?"
    "Alphabet."
    "Oh, good."
    "Why is that good?"
    "Letter shaped noodles are easy to spot in the wound. I wouldn't want to sew one in"
    "Oh, so this happens often?"
    "No... No... Not that I am aware of."

Here is the background, because lord knows this story needs some context. I had my first apartment and had done the whole "this is the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich, because I made it in my own home" thing. I decided to move on to soup. Except I didn't own a proper can opener. Just one of those military issue P-38 can openers that I kept on a keychain.

Never used one before and did a horrible job. I shoved a fork between the can and the lid to pry it the rest of the way open. The fork bent, the lid popped and for a brief moment I could see most of the bones in my index finger. Then the can spilled. There is a lot of salt in Alphabet soup. For a little while I couldn't see anything but stars.

That was the worst can of soup I have ever had.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2019-Aug-12 at 04:07 AM.
    Solfe

Back in my days of flying training, I spent a session doing spin recovery on a bright sunny afternoon over our local river estuary. The transition between sitting in a stable little aircraft tootling around the sky and suddenly being inside a spinning wardrobe falling into the river (ohmygodohmygodohmygod) was ... distracting.

Here's what the instructor (presumably) said: "So the spin is established. I move power to idle, neutralize the ailerons, full opposite rudder and hold, push the stick forward ... And the spin is coming off. Rudder to neutral, stick back into level flight and applying power. OK, we'll take her back up and then it's your turn."
    Here's what I heard:"Hody hody hody ho. Hody ho. Hody hody hody ho. Hody ho. Hody ho. Hody ho. Hody hody ho and applying power. OK, we'll take her back up and then it's your turn."

Wait, wait. What?

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Aug-12 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Back in my days of flying training, I spent a session doing spin recover on a bright sunny afternoon over our local river estuary. The transition between sitting in a stable little aircraft tootling around the sky and suddenly being inside a spinning wardrobe falling into the river (ohmygodohmygodohmygod) was ... distracting.

Here's what the instructor (presumably) said: "So the spin is established. I move power to idle, neutralize the ailerons, full opposite rudder and hold, push the stick forward ... And the spin is coming off. Rudder to neutral, stick back into level flight and applying power. OK, we'll take her back up and then it's your turn."
    Here's what I heard:"Hody hody hody ho. Hody ho. Hody hody hody ho. Hody ho. Hody ho. Hody ho. Hody hody ho and applying power. OK, we'll take her back up and then it's your turn."

Wait, wait. What?
    Yep, that seems to be what happened with my brother in his flight training. That was the day he quit flight school.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I know a former general aviation pilot who got flustered during a hop with his wife from Miami to Nassau. Apparently he neglected to check the settings of the fuel valves and ran a tank dry, and the engine quit. In his scrambling to reset the valves he accidentally turned on the clear channel emergency beacon, whereupon the Coast Guard scrambled to his aid. Meanwhile his wife, also a qualified pilot, calmly reset the valves, restarted the engine and resumed level flight. They had some embarrassing explaining to do to the Coast Guard.

Last edited by grant hutchison; Yesterday at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    I forgot my glasses at school and while reading this, I thought the Reason was "spinning".

I have backup glasses on. Now it makes more sense, but is far less amusing.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yep, that seems to be what happened with my brother in his flight training. That was the day he quit flight school.
    That's a shame. Actually quite good fun once you get over the initial shock.

Grant Hutchison

A math problem:

K & E adopted two rabbits.
    One male, one female.
    Assume:
    Female rabbits can get pregnant at 6 months of age.
    They can have a litter every 22 days.
    Average litter size of five.
    Average survival 80%. (E takes good care of them.)
    Litters, on average, equally split between male and female.

How many rabbits will K & E have in five years?

Based on a true story. They are currently up to nine, but E wasn't there to look after the first litter. K is a math teacher and intends to use this in class.

Just past 10 pm where I live and I am tired don't why haven't done anything all day.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A math problem:

K & E adopted two rabbits.
    One male, one female.
    Assume:
    Female rabbits can get pregnant at 6 months of age.
    They can have a litter every 22 days.
    Average litter size of five.
    Average survival 80%. (E takes good care of them.)
    Litters, on average, equally split between male and female.

How many rabbits will K & E have in five years?

Based on a true story. They are currently up to nine, but E wasn't there to look after the first litter. K is a math teacher and intends to use this in class.
    They can get pregnant at six months and they can have a litter every 22 days, but we need to know the average age at first pregnancy and the average time between litters.

And, actually, we need to know the average age of last litter, as well as the average lifespan (of those 80% who survive to child-bearing age). Unless five years is shorter than either of those, I guess...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

The age of the latest litter is three days, if that helps. You can just ignore the fact that the papa has now been fixed!

I think that Fibonacci numbers are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    They can get pregnant at six months and they can have a litter every 22 days, but we need to know the average age at first pregnancy and the average time between litters.

And, actually, we need to know the average age of last litter, as well as the average lifespan (of those 80% who survive to child-bearing age). Unless five years is shorter than either of those, I guess...
    “Assume a spherical rabbit...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    “Assume a spherical rabbit...”

I think a spherical rabbit is called a tribble.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Surely that would be Fibunacci numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Surely that would be Fibunacci numbers!
    Those rabbits, they’re real good at multiplying...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I'm sure Fibonacci is still in there, but the problem presented here has an extra level of complexity because the generation time doesn't divide evenly into the time-to-first-reproduction. It's looking a little nightmarish, actually.

Grant Hutchison

Meanwhile, I'm amused by this licence plate on a car parked outside the recreated Viking village of Njardarheimr, in Norway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	berserker.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	24476

Grant Hutchison

Hehehe.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I am wondering how they got my future licence plate.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The rabbit problem.

Having just dropped in with a jest, I felt compelled to treat this in scholarly fashion. (It's the Wise Guy's Burden, I guess.)
    Making some simplifying assumptions, I created a Basic program to simulate the rabbit generations. i used the VBA language underneath MS Excel, so that interested users can extract the code and use their own MS Excel (or MS Word) installation to test it and improve upon it. (I'm sorry that the indentation and tabbing disappear here.)

Option Explicit

Sub Rabbits()

Dim nRabbits(1), nBabies As Long
    Dim nFirstDay, nLastDay As Long
    Dim nDaysBetweenLitters, nLitterSize As Long, nFemRabbits As Long
    Dim interval As Long 'index

nFirstDay = Int(365 / 2) 'Half a year (6 months)
    nLastDay = (5 * 365) + 1 'Assume 1 leap year (could be 2)
    nLitterSize = 5 'Average
    nDaysBetweenLitters = 22

Randomize

Debug.Print " "
    Debug.Print "Days", "F Rabbits", "M Rabbits", "Total"

' Start
    nRabbits(0) = 1 'one female
    nRabbits(1) = 1 'one male
    nFemRabbits = nRabbits(0) 'one female to start

'Loop from first day to last day in 22-day intervals
    For interval = nFirstDay To nLastDay Step nDaysBetweenLitters

'Add 5 new rabbits for every female on the farm
    'Number of males is irrelevant ... the few will
    ' perform prodigious service if necessary.
    nBabies = nLitterSize * nRabbits(0)

'Assume that half of new rabbits are females
    nFemRabbits = Int(nBabies / 2)

'Add new rabbits to the population
    nRabbits(0) = nRabbits(0) + nFemRabbits
    nRabbits(1) = nRabbits(1) + (nBabies - nFemRabbits)

'Output the population statistics
    Debug.Print interval, nRabbits(0), nRabbits(1), nRabbits(0) + nRabbits(1)

'Cycle
    Next interval

End Sub

Here's the output from a typical run.

Days F Rabbits M Rabbits Total
    182 3 4 7
    204 10 12 22
    226 35 37 72
    248 122 125 247
    270 427 430 857
    292 1494 1498 2992
    314 5229 5233 10462
    336 18301 18306 36607
    358 64053 64059 128112
    380 224185 224192 448377
    402 784647 784655 1569302
    424 2746264 2746273 5492537
    446 9611924 9611933 19223857
    468 33641734 33641743 67283477
    490 117746069 117746078 235492147
    512 412111241 412111251 824222492
    534 1442389343 1442389354 2884778697

Even though I used long integers as data type, we overflow after day 534, with over 2.8 billion rabbits.
    To carry this exercise further, I'd have to use a special data type, or use floating point numbers instead.
    I didn't factor in the mortality, so you can take 80% of that figure. If we had the typical lifespan, we could kill off a percentage each cycle.

So, have at it. I'll just say it's a lot of rabbits.

Edited to add:
    Just looking this over, I see a bunch of flaws (it always rounds off in favor of male babies, and I'm assuming instant fertility in subsequent generations, and ...), but I'm not going to think about it too deeply! See below for a correction.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2019-Aug-17 at 08:07 PM.

You could, of course, factor in my mortality assumption and take care of the males by setting the litter size to two (females) and then doubling the total at the end. In any case it's a lot of rabbits. I need to tell K about Fibonacci.

From Wikipedia on rabbit reproduction:
    The average female rabbit becomes sexually mature at 3 to 8 months of age and can conceive at any time of the year for the duration of her life. However, egg and sperm production can begin to decline after three years.[40] During mating, the male rabbit will mount the female rabbit from behind and insert his penis into the female and make rapid pelvic hip thrusts. The encounter lasts only 20-40 seconds and after, the male will throw himself backwards off of the female.[43]

The rabbit gestation period is short and ranges from 28 to 36 days with an average period of 31 days. A longer gestation period will generally yield a smaller litter while shorter gestation periods will give birth to a larger litter. The size of a single litter can range from four to 12 kits allowing a female to deliver up to 60 new kits a year. After birth, the female can become pregnant again as early as the next day.[41]

Okay, here's a better approach. This version (Rabbits 2.0) stores the results of each 22-day rabbit census so that it can go back and discern how many fertile female rabbits were born at least 182 days (that's approximately eight 22-day cycles) ago, and it uses that figure to compute the next generation.
    I also randomized the round-off so that neither gender was favored. I see no reason not to assume every litter at five, as once we reach the big numbers, it really doesn't matter to the average if they're all 5, or mixtures of 4s, 5s and 6s. I think. No mortality, as I assume they can live at least five years normally.

Code:
    Option Explicit

Sub Rabbits2()

Dim nRabbits(100, 1), nBabies As Long
        Dim nFirstDay, nLastDay, nDaysBetweenLitters As Long
        Dim nLitterSize As Long, nFemRabbits, nFertile As Long
        Dim interval, ixCensus, ix As Long 'indices

nFirstDay = Int(365 / 2) 'Half a year (6 months)
        nLastDay = (5 * 365) + 1 'Assume 1 leap year (could be 2)
        nLitterSize = 5 'Average
        nDaysBetweenLitters = 22

Randomize

Debug.Print " "
        Debug.Print " Days ", " F_Rabbits ", " M_Rabbits ", " Total "

' Start
        interval = 0
        ixCensus = 0
        nRabbits(ixCensus, 0) = 1 'one female
        nRabbits(ixCensus, 1) = 1 'one male
        nFemRabbits = nRabbits(ixCensus, 0) 'one female to start
            Debug.Print interval, nRabbits(ixCensus, 0), nRabbits(ixCensus, 1), _
                nRabbits(ixCensus, 0) + nRabbits(ixCensus, 1)

'Loop from first day to last day in 22-day intervals
        For interval = nFirstDay To nLastDay Step nDaysBetweenLitters

ixCensus = ixCensus + 1
            'Get the number of female rabbits from 182 days ago
            ' i.e., 182/22 census periods past
            ix = ixCensus - (Int(nFirstDay / nDaysBetweenLitters))
            If ix < 0 Then ix = 0 'first census
            nFertile = nRabbits(ix, 0)
            'Add 5 new rabbits for every female on the farm
            'Number of males is irrelevant ... the few will
            '  perform prodigious service if necessary.
            nBabies = nLitterSize * nFertile

'Assume that half of new rabbits are females
            ' Randomize the rounding
            If Rnd > 0.5 Then
                nFemRabbits = Int(nBabies / 2)
            Else
                nFemRabbits = nBabies - Int(nBabies / 2)
            End If
            'Add new rabbits to the population
            nRabbits(ixCensus, 0) = nRabbits(ixCensus - 1, 0) + nFemRabbits
            nRabbits(ixCensus, 1) = nRabbits(ixCensus - 1, 1) + (nBabies - nFemRabbits)

Debug.Print interval, nRabbits(ixCensus, 0), nRabbits(ixCensus, 1), _
                nRabbits(ixCensus, 0) + nRabbits(ixCensus, 1)

'Cycle
        Next interval

End Sub
    How about that listing? I found a "CODE ... /CODE"option on the editing form.

Results:

Code:
     Days          F_Rabbits     M_Rabbits     Total 
     0             1             1             2 
     182           3             4             7 
     204           6             6             12 
     226           8             9             17 
     248           11            11            22 
     270           13            14            27 
     292           15            17            32 
     314           18            19            37 
     336           20            22            42 
     358           27            30            57 
     380           42            45            87 
     402           62            65            127 
     424           90            92            182 
     446           123           124           247 
     468           161           161           322 
     490           206           206           412 
     512           256           256           512 
     534           324           323           647 
     556           429           428           857 
     578           584           583           1167 
     600           809           808           1617 
     622           1117          1115          2232 
     644           1519          1518          3037 
     666           2034          2033          4067 
     688           2674          2673          5347 
     710           3484          3483          6967 
     732           4557          4555          9112 
     754           6017          6015          12032 
     776           8039          8038          16077 
     798           10831         10831         21662 
     820           14628         14629         29257 
     842           19713         19714         39427 
     864           26398         26399         52797 
     886           35108         35109         70217 
     908           46500         46502         93002 
     930           61542         61545         123087 
     952           81640         81642         163282 
     974           108717        108720        217437 
     996           145287        145290        290577 
     1018          194569        194573        389142 
     1040          260564        260568        521132 
     1062          348334        348338        696672 
     1084          464584        464588        929172 
     1106          618439        618443        1236882 
     1128          822539        822543        1645082 
     1150          1094331       1094336       2188667 
     1172          1457548       1457554       2915102 
     1194          1943970       1943977       3887947 
     1216          2595380       2595387       5190767 
     1238          3466215       3466222       6932437 
     1260          4627675       4627682       9255357 
     1282          6173773       6173779       12347552 
     1304          8230121       8230126       16460247 
     1326          10965948      10965954      21931902 
     1348          14609818      14609824      29219642 
     1370          19469743      19469749      38939492 
     1392          25958193      25958199      51916392 
     1414          34623730      34623737      69247467 
     1436          46192918      46192924      92385842 
     1458          61627350      61627357      123254707 
     1480          82202652      82202660      164405312 
     1502          109617522     109617530     219235052 
     1524          146142067     146142075     292284142 
     1546          194816424     194816433     389632857 
     1568          259711906     259711916     519423822 
     1590          346271231     346271241     692542472 
     1612          461753526     461753536     923507062 
     1634          615821901     615821911     1231643812 
     1656          821328531     821328541     1642657072 
     1678          1095372336    1095372346    2190744682 
     1700          1460727504    1460727513    2921455017 
     1722          1947768564    1947768573    3895537137 
     1744          2597048329    2597048338    5194096667 
     1766          3462726406    3462726416    6925452822
    The early records seem reasonable. You can see when it starts, when the original pair gets help from the next generation, and how it builds up after that.
    We overflow with almost 7 billion hoppers after 1,766 days, somewhat short of 5 years (which would be 1,826 or 1,827).But that should be enough rabbits for anybody!

Gracious! No wonder they were such a problem in Australia!

That's almost like Blair's calculations in the movie THE THING