Page 335 of 340 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,050 of 10184

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

We stayed at a hotel this weekend, and our rooms had full kitchenettes in them - refrigerator, stove top, microwave, dishwasher, even cabinets with plateware. In the cabinets were salt and pepper shakers, each of which contained a handful of unopened packets. To use the pepper, for example, one would have to unscrew the cap, take out a packet, tear it open, and then sprinkle the pepper on the food.

I texted a photo to my brother, saying, "I thought this was just an Internet joke. Never thought I'd actually see it." He asked where this was at, so I told him, and he replied, "Internet idiocy is a way of life in [Redacted]."

(I redacted the state to avoid possibly offending anyone who lives there. )
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Interesting usage of the word "possibly", there.

Grant Hutchison

Okay, True Confession, I read the comic strips in the Houston Chronicle. Not all but maybe half. *

This Monday I noticed that the art work for Dilbert looked ... different. Turns out Jake Tapper (CNN) is drawing the strip this week.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...mic-strip.html

*When the Chron drove the Houston Post under they immediately did two things:
    1. Switched from evening to morning circulation.
    2. Added the Post's comics page to theirs, giving us two pages of strips.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Today I went out for one of my walks to town. While in town I passed am office chair right by the sidewalk like someone did not want it, but it would be odd going thru town and then out on a country road wheeling a chair. I felt bad enough carrying some Halloween version of trial mix from the grocery store.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This SMBC comic contains the word "sigil". I just realized I've never heard it spoken. Is that a hard or soft "G"?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    This SMBC comic contains the word "sigil". I just realized I've never heard it spoken. Is that a hard or soft "G"?
    It's the same as the g in "gif".

Seriously, it's soft, according to dictionary.com.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It's the same as the g in "gif".

Seriously, it's soft, according to dictionary.com.
    Thank you for today's LOL!

I thought I had posted somewhere, but can't find it...

Anyhow, I couldn't find my debit card for a few days. We don't have a credit union branch locally so while I was in Burlington for the Pumpkin Pitch I went into the one there, told them I'd lost it, and needed a new one. They checked on usage and the last time had been perfectly legitimate. And three weeks previously, so it was probably gone longer than I thought.

After the pitch, I went into the Costco gas station to fill up and Oh! I don't have the Costco card either! I put two and two together and realized the two cards were somewhere together. They normally live side by side in my wallet. Hmm, wonder where I left them.

This morning I was doing a bit of grocery shopping and the checker at Safeway noticed the Costco card in the reusable shopping bag. I then dug a bit further and found the debit card as well, among the old store receipts. (There were a LOT of old receipts.)

Well, that explained it. We went to Costco and I dropped the cards in the bag along with the receipt. Except:
    1. There was no Costco receipt in the bag.
    2. They were the green bags from my car; not the red bags from my wife's car that we always use when we go to places like Costco.

Oh, well. At least the mystery is partly solved, and I don't HAVE to go into Costco when we are in Sequim tomorrow and ask for a new card.

Gremlins. I blame the Gremlins.

I had a college roommate whose parents owned a lavender farm in Sequim; for all I know, they still do. But it and Puyallup were the first two Washington shibboleths I learned, given my sister lived in Tacoma at the time and I moved to Port Angeles and had friends who lived in Sequim. Actually, the only way I relocated my roommate recently after years of being out of touch with her was through another Facebook friend; her name is Rebecca Smith, and it turns out there are a lot of those.

Yesterday, while out running errands, I bought Irene a board book of the alphabet, because she's getting old enough to learn it. This morning, she told me she "needs alphabet."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Any Smith there are tons of, once and a while I try to find a find called Andy Smith and can't find him online.

And in other news..

Government logic or lack of logic depending on your point of view. Some might know it is election season in Canada. I decided to get a job with them to work the polls on election day and I decided on a location where I thought I was going to vote. It is about ten or more kilometers further out than where I live but the main way in and out is the road is I live on so I thought that is where I was going to vote. But today we got the cards that tell us where we are going to vote and it is not where I thought it was going to be but in a different community all together. I will have to vote in the advance poll on my way to learn my job for the mai election day because poll workers can't leave that day. It is probably determined on population and the people who made the districts thought these stations could so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Wish I could have photographed this one.
    I drove along the road today behind a joiner's van. On the rear doors, along with contact details, the vehicle sported a silhouette of a joiner at work. A recognizable figure wearing a tool apron, bending forward over a workbench, wielding a hammer. On the workbench there is a thin rectangular object lying flat, which we assume is a piece of wood because it has a flat-headed nail protruding from its upper surface, which the joiner is about to strike with the hammer.

So this guy's driving around advertising his skills using a picture that shows a man nailing a piece of wood to his own workbench.

Grant Hutchison
    I've been watching Acorn to Arabella, a YouTube series about two guys building a wooden boat, starting with cutting down the oak trees on the family farm. In today's episode, at about 18:00 you can see a man weld a shovel to a metal table.

I've been watching Acorn to Arabella, a YouTube series about two guys building a wooden boat, starting with cutting down the oak trees on the family farm. In today's episode, at about 18:00 you can see a man weld a shovel to a metal table.
    As always, think before you do. Anyway thanks - something else I can distract myself with.

A few years ago, I think, I am sure you posted a link to some-one repairing a plus 100 year old boat. One of the problems he encountered was not having planning approval for his boat shed. Do you know what happened - is he still working on the project?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    As always, think before you do. Anyway thanks - something else I can distract myself with.

A few years ago, I think, I am sure you posted a link to some-one repairing a plus 100 year old boat. One of the problems he encountered was not having planning approval for his boat shed. Do you know what happened - is he still working on the project?
    Absolutely! The county approved his shelter not long after and the boat is progressing. I highly recommend the videos. As well as those in the other series.
    I need to catch up with yet another boat-building series, this one on the Western Flyer which is being restored in my town's boatyard. In 1940, John Steinbeck and a biologist friend chartered the boat for a scientific journey around the Gulf of California, resulting in his book The Log from the Sea of Cortez. I'm currently reading that.

I'm not sure if this amuses or bugs me. We went out to lunch and a family entered in front of us. The young girl was wearing her soccer uniform, with what I assume was her name on the back. "TATUMN" That's kind of dumn. Seriously, parents, don't do that.

Absolutely! The county approved his shelter not long after and the boat is progressing. I highly recommend the videos. As well as those in the other series.
    I need to catch up with yet another boat-building series, this one on the Western Flyer which is being restored in my town's boatyard. In 1940, John Steinbeck and a biologist friend chartered the boat for a scientific journey around the Gulf of California, resulting in his book The Log from the Sea of Cortez. I'm currently reading that.
    Thanks - that was the one. Goodness me he has done a lot of work since I last caught up!

My son is driving to Uluru (Ayers Rock) for a few days. He runs his own small 3 person company so can only take a week or so off at a time. It is around a 4,000 Km (2,500 miles) return trip - over 2,000 Km of which is on unsealed roads across basically desert. I certainly would not do this but he will enjoy it. Just to give an idea a couple of photos he has just sent us.

A good bit of gravel road

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paululururoad.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	24595

Uluru

Name:	paul uluru.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	24596

Edit: They have decided to hop over to Alice Springs - to add another 900 Km to the trip.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Oct-07 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    My son is driving to Uluru (Ayers Rock) for a few days. He runs his own small 3 person company so can only take a week or so off at a time. It is around a 4,000 Km (2,500 miles) return trip - over 2,000 Km of which is on unsealed roads across basically desert. I certainly would not do this but he will enjoy it. Just to give an idea a couple of photos he has just sent us.

A good bit of gravel road

Uluru

Edit: They have decided to hop over to Alice Springs - to add another 900 Km to the trip.
    They actually drove past Uluru on the way to Alice Springs without stopping. They visited it on the return leg.

From him today, a closer look.

Name:	uluru1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	24612

Name:	bbottomrock.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	24613

I sent a famous person a connection request on LinkedIn as a lark/joke and they actually accepted. Now I have no idea what I would actually say to them.

Name:	XB0s473_d.jpg 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	24618
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I sent a famous person a connection request on LinkedIn as a lark/joke and they actually accepted. Now I have no idea what I would actually say to them.

Name:	XB0s473_d.jpg 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	24618
    "Thanks! Do you have any contacts needing an aspiring archaeologist?'

The person I wrote about for the article going up this afternoon is triskaidekaphobic. Interestingly, it turns out that someone I know has people who know him (I wrote about Stephen King; my friend is in the medical field in Florida, and the Kings volunteer at the blood bank in the next town over), so this might be the second article I've written about a living person where a contact of mine gets them to read it, after Pierce Brosnan. I also have a contact who's friends with Jerry Orbach's son and asked permission to send him my article about Jerry Orbach.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Apparently, within the "Breaking Bad" universe, the Albuquerque restaurant which used to be a "Los Pollos Hermanos" is now operating under the name "Twisters".

So glad I never took up fortnite because right now all the players are seeing an image of a black hole on the screen, a circle with blue light around it.

That nowadays Christmas shopping is kitchenware and not toys.

Also I have a job on Monday where you can't wear any blue,red, orange, green and purple, so I have to dig out a black shirt that only gets worn when I get jobs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Also I have a job on Monday where you can't wear any blue,red, orange, green and purple, so I have to dig out a black shirt that only gets worn when I get jobs like this.
    So not a Gay Pride march, then. (https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/qq-rb.html, for those in doubt as to meaning.)

Grant Hutchison

So not a Gay Pride march, then. (https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/qq-rb.html, for those in doubt as to meaning.)

Grant Hutchison
    Sounds like a mime troupe to me...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Sounds like a mime troupe to me...
    Or a secret nudist initiative. "Darn! We missed a color and they found shirts they could wear."

Grant Hutchison
    Working at a polling station during the Canadian Federal election each party has a color associated with it, everyone has to be neutral so we have to wear neutral colors.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Working at a polling station during the Canadian Federal election each party has a color associated with it, everyone has to be neutral so we have to wear neutral colors.
    And wearing all of the colours simultaneously doesn't qualify as neutral? Or do you have an Inca party in Canada?

Grant Hutchison

And wearing all of the colours simultaneously doesn't qualify as neutral? Or do you have an Inca party in Canada?

Grant Hutchison
    We are told not to wear any of those colors, it is safer that way.