Page 386 of 398 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396 ... LastLast
Results 11,551 to 11,580 of 11930

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I kind of agree with Grant, but with caveats. In a lot of cases it doesn't matter at all. I really enjoyed both Amadeus and Gandhi, even though I pretty much knew how they were going to end... But there are movies, such as Sixth Sense and Angel Heart, to name two, where not knowing the plot twist really makes it more fun. Though it's also cool to go back and watch the film a second time knowing what you might have guessed. But certainly in cases like Harry Potter, you can still know= "kids do magic spells, Gryfindor wins the game, kids talk about kissing, Harry beats the bad guy" and it's still fun.
    Ah. Having friends tell me exactly what they love about Harry Potter is why I've never read or watched Harry Potter.

I knew the ending of Sixth Sense when I saw it for the first time with friends. (No, I didn't tell them how it ends--I respect other people's views on spoilers.) I must say I enjoyed watching the movie set things up for the final twist, and (though of course I can't be sure) I do think that seeing the movie for the first time and yet being able to appreciate where it was going and how it was working its tricks actually enhanced my enjoyment. And I got to do a plot summary in the pub afterwards, since several of my friends were confused about what they thought were inconsistencies, but were actually things they'd misremembered or not picked up on. I can remember having the very strong impression that I'd enjoyed the movie more than some of those who'd come away confused and annoyed.

Grant Hutchison

I saw something both bad and amusing at the same time. There is a politician who is in a bit of trouble now. Doesn't matter which one or why for this story, only the fact that he likes to act and talk tough is important.

Today, there were doing a news story about the trouble he is in. They pulled file footage of him during a press conference. The audio of him was muted so you couldn't tell what he was saying as the newscaster spoke. Which would be appropriate for file footage. Well, not really. In the corner of this file footage was a sign language interpreter signing what the politician was saying. The gist of it was: "That's too bad... It's done.", complete with facial emoting. When compared to the what the newscaster was saying and the politician's demeanor in that file footage, it looked like some sort of horrible prank.

Sign language interpreters don't often wear makeup for TV so he looked a little pale, almost clownish. Add in several glares and smiles that seemed, well sociopathic without the original audio context. All of it looked like a bad SNL skit with Pennywise the Clown providing the interpretation.
    Solfe

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Well, that's the reason I don't get the whole "spoiler" thing--for me, the effectiveness of the narrative doesn't come from some particular plot twist, but how the plot twist is delivered. The acting, the script, the cinematography, the story arc.
    So I want to listen to a friend who is at liberty to tell me exactly why the Big Reveal was done so effectively, for them. Once they properly appreciate that I don't care about plot "spoilers" they're free to do that, and may well make me aware of things that will enhance my subsequent enjoyment, if their recommendation seems like one that will suit my own tastes. They're never going to be able to transfer the exact emotional experience from their head to mine (that really would be a spoiler, wouldn't it?), but they can talk to me about how the scene affected them, and why it worked for them in the way it did. And, as I say, I just enjoy listening to my friends telling me about stuff that moves or excites or intrigues them.

Grant Hutchison
    I find I can suspend disbelief by conscious effort to stop thinking where the camera was for that shot, or how much of the scene is cgi. I have a friend who cannot enjoy any scene because he always is thinking about the cameraman and so never enters the drama. In suspense thrillers I find the director leaves too may cliche clues, usually. And yet I can enjoy Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie murders despite knowing all the plots. And there is fun of spotting the Sherlock in House for example. Or the acting quality in something like the Dig, (discovering the AngloSaxon ship at Sutton Hoo).
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

As far as spoilers go, I believe it should be up to the individual whether they get spoiled or not. I have friends I can talk to about anything I've watched, because I know they don't care. And that's fine--because those friends are also respectful of my wish not to have things spoiled.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well, that's the reason I don't get the whole "spoiler" thing
    I'm really bad about that. While watching something, I often go on the internet to see what's going to happen next . . .
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

I used to be a spoiler-holic. I would research films and stories online, scouring sites for information before I invested time into something. But I've since developed a taste for being pleasantly surprised by a twist or unforeseen development.

I was a bit of a control freak enthusiast, and lately I'm trying to embrace the idea that I can just go with the flow in my entertainment choices. So I'm only 90% a control freak now.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

In the last several years, with series moving to streaming services instead of TV, and fan-favorite clips of them appearing on YouTube along with reaction videos and commentary videos, plus online forums where viewers talk about them, there have been some series that I know most of the events of without having watched most of the series. (To some extent I've begun thinking of this as a way to decide whether to temporarily subscribe to start really watching the thing or not.) So, when those big, fan-mind-blowing moments happen, my experience of them is entirely through other people; I'm almost "watching" other people's responses as much as watching the thing they're responding. Sometimes it's actually better that way and sometimes it's not, but it's been happening more as a side-effect of the modern distribution method and my lack of streaming subscriptions, not because of anybody consciously deciding it's better this way.

One of the first things I do each morning is read some internet comics. I have a tendency to overthink them.
    For instance, there is a character in Questionable Content called Elliot. He's large and intimidating looking but is really a big softy.
    Elliot has two jobs: He's a bouncer in the local bar, because of his size; and a baker. The former works until closing time; the latter are known for early hours.
    When the heck does he sleep? Does he go directly from the bar to the bakery?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Speaking of spoilers, you know what I think the worse thing with spoilers? The film Ender's Game. The book drops not one, but two things that are ruined by spoilers. The film does the same thing, except not remotely as well and the target audience are the people that read the book.

That has to be some sort of paradox.
    Solfe

I just got into it with a high school friend over the safety of vaccines on Facebook.

When I was young and an imbecile, I used chalk my license so I could drink in bars at age 18. This one bar that I frequented had a promotion for a particular drink. The tag line was "4 out of five surviving lab rats prefer <insert alcohol name here>." I can't recall the brand. At the time, I drank so much of it that the bar gave me a T-shirt, a bucket (for vomit), swim trunks (too small), flip flops and a giant umbrella, all emblazoned with that slogan. And yes, they knew I was underage. They though it was funny. They'd let me on stage while bands were performing as a walking, talking ad for booze.

This guy arguing with me on Facebook was there when I was underage boozing with corporate sponsorship. Am I really the ideal target for consumer safety discussions on Facebook? I think not.
    Solfe

My preferred tipple is inexpensive red wine from a box. Ok, cheap red wine from a box! Of which I probably drink to much.

Anyhow, a couple of days ago the box was getting low so I bought another. Except I wasn't at the store where I usually buy a particular brand so got a different one. When I got home I realized that both boxes were printed in the same shade of red. Looking at the packaging, both came from Ripon, CA. Hmm, off to Google.
    Turned out the usual Brand X is made by Big Wine Company, exclusively for Kroger.
    Brand Y is made by Big Wine Company, exclusively for Safeway.
    I think it's a safe bet they came out of the same big stainless steel tank.

I gave the kids middle names you could make a lot of nicknames out of--Simon's is Alexander and Irene's is Suzanne. This week, they have expressed determination to now be called by nicknames. He is Zane and she is Sandy. Arguably, these come out of one another's middle names.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

This sign amused me today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210313_152820.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	25957
    The notice in the window next to it may also be of interest. We actually have some public statuary commemorating the Lemmings game. Our public spaces boast bronze depictions of Queen Victoria, Robert Burns, Admiral Adam Duncan, Desperate Dan, Oor Wullie and the Lemmings. (Though not all in the same location--I'd pay to see that.)

Grant Hutchison

This sign amused me today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210313_152820.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	25957
    I'd be tempted to add "Intolerance" to the list.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I'd be tempted to add "Intolerance" to the list.
    But, what if I am intolerant of intolerance?
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    False dilemma.

Presumably that would make you the person who put up the sign banning the intolerant. Perhaps SeanF was waxing paradoxical.

Grant Hutchison

The local weekly introduced a new puzzle, a sort of hexagonal sudoku. I've just about got it figured out how to work it!

There are people who actually make that argument. "How dare you discriminate against Nazis?"

The OED includes the marvellous phrase "catholicity of spirit" as part of its definition of tolerance. My project for the next year is to work that phrase into conversation as frequently as possible.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    There are people who actually make that argument. "How dare you discriminate against Nazis?"
    That would depend on how you define "Nazis" - more importantly, following off the sign in Grant's post, how you would define "hav[ing] symptoms of" Nazism.

But we're getting outside the realm of "trivial" and "amusing" now, aren't we?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    That would depend on how you define "Nazis" - more importantly, following off the sign in Grant's post, how you would define "hav[ing] symptoms of" Nazism.
    I wasn't aware the definition of Nazi was in question, but any form of common bigotry could fill the niche in my example.

But we're getting outside the realm of "trivial" and "amusing" now, aren't we?
    Are you asking me to drop it? Cuz I will if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Are you asking me to drop it? Cuz I will if you want.
    Not being a moderator, he shouldn't ask, so I will. Common contemporary usage notwithstanding, "Nazi" refers to a political party and it's associated ideology. Nowadays, it's a pejorative most frequently aimed at one's political/ideological opponents. So, yes. Best to drop it.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

So, perhaps being somewhat foolishly optimistic about the possibility of travelling to North America in July, I went to the US government website to renew my ESTA, which expires in a few days. (I've given up on the idea of a cross-border US/Canada trip, at least for 2021.)

The website has a photo of the statue of liberty, face and arm only.

I am thus really tempted to do the Charlton Heston Planet of the Apes thing . . . but no point, since there would be no one watching me do it.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

A different kind of dog sledding.

This has apparently been around since 2018, but I just saw a link to it today. If I describe it in detail I think I’d ruin it, so I’ll just say it involves an impressive dog in a short video (about a minute):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z28KOH...ature=emb_logo

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A friend's ex-husband is getting remarried. My friend is highly amused by the whole situation, which has simply led me to wonder, again, why she ever married the guy in the first place. But last night, during our chat, she had something new to share--engagement pictures! I'm astounded that the person who took them is a professional photographer.

"You can't erase icing."

That's a border collie or similar breed. Smartest dogs there are, I think.

Wait. The professional photographer was a border collie? Gad, they're clever.

Grant Hutchison

Weirdly, there is a dog in the pictures that in several shots looks like it's trying to protect the bride-to-be from my friend's ex-husband, which would be a smart dog. (He's not abusive, just . . . a waste.)

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That's a border collie or similar breed. Smartest dogs there are, I think.
    Trivial stuff that bugs me: When another post comes along before I do mine!