Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Curiosity Surface Operations

Another news conference at 1PM pacific time.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

ToSeek : Did you hear about when the next conf is scheduled to see the thumbnails (if any)?

NBC: Any MARDI imagery? How far rover from MRO in image?
    (Apparently arrived late.)

None down yet. 340 km.

Another press conference at 7 pm EDT if get MARDI imagery.

TPS/Ms. Emily: Status on health of science instruments?

Yes, they're all fine.

What are scientists thinking about images?

Early days, limited information. We're on a gravel plain on Mars, familiar scene. Rim in background.

John Johnson: Confident SAM instrument is in good shape?

First test was electrical, and it went fine. 5-hour rad observation going on today.

Brazil: Will MRO be able to spot the rover? Will it help rover navigate?

Already planning to get images of rover, more than single pixel. Already done lots of data collection clear across Gale Crater: stereo, color. Used to look at potential traverses. Expecting MSL to come to us for new imagery.

MRO data has been critical to landing site selection. 1-meter coverage, stereo coverage. Rover drivers already using those to plan traverses. Drivers have algorithms to estimate risk of dunes, etc.

??: Scheduling constraints on relays, DSN?

No, Odyssey has big buffers. Rovers in very different places, so doing relays for both don't interfere.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

??: Good paper to read about Gale Crater?

Send me an email.

BBC: What's going to be in MARDI imagery? Color imagery?

Don't know that offhand. Will be off to the side. MALI might get edge of Mount Sharp.

Nature: Going to go to center of target or straight toward Mount Sharp?

Boundary between alluvial fan and base of Mount Sharp is diffuse. Goal of crowd-sourcing was to identify different geological units. Looking for meter-size rocks. Will go whichever way to find them. Some kind of scarp in each roughly km-square quadrangle, want to string a bunch together.

??: When first motion? How is it currently configured?

Sitting quite flat right now. Couple of weeks till first motion, even then just a meter or two.

I have to sign off for now. Think most of the good questions have been asked.

Thanks, ToSeek...great coverage.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Image taken 6 minutes after atmospheric entry. MRO about 340 km away from Curiosity. Can see parachute and lines.
    LINK to the image
    NASA's Curiosity rover and its parachute were spotted by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter as Curiosity descended to the surface on Aug. 5 PDT (Aug. 6 EDT). The High-Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera captured this image of Curiosity while the orbiter was listening to transmissions from the rover. Curiosity and its parachute are in the center of the white box; the inset image is a cutout of the rover.

Curiosity and its parachute are in the center of the white box; the inset image is a cutout of the rover stretched to avoid saturation. The rover is descending toward the etched plains just north of the sand dunes that fringe "Mt. Sharp." From the perspective of the orbiter, the parachute and Curiosity are flying at an angle relative to the surface, so the landing site does not appear directly below the rover.

The parachute appears fully inflated and performing perfectly. Details in the parachute, such as the band gap at the edges and the central hole, are clearly seen. The cords connecting the parachute to the back shell cannot be seen, although they were seen in the image of NASA's Phoenix lander descending, perhaps due to the difference in lighting angles. The bright spot on the back shell containing Curiosity might be a specular reflection off of a shiny area. Curiosity was released from the back shell sometime after this image was acquired.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Daily updates will be at 10AM Pacific time.

By the way, from snippets I heard last night, the MMRTG is cranking out about 107 WDC. Expect it to come up a little bit from that, but of course there will be diurnal variations in addition to the gradual decay. I suspect the batteries are brimful of electrons, so to speak, at this point.

Just realized....yesterday was Neil Armstrong's 82nd birthday...

What a nice "present" for a space pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    Just realized....yesterday was Neil Armstrong's 82nd birthday...

What a nice "present" for a space pioneer.
    That's one small descent for a rover, one giant leap for mankind.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

From Space.com

Wow! Mars Rover Landing Spotted by Orbiting Spacecraft.

A spectacular photo by a spacecraft orbiting Mars has captured NASA's new rover Curiosity as it plunged toward the Martian surface under a giant parachute.
    EDL_CAP1.jpgFrom Space.com
    Image Credit: JPL/NASA.

--Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

Still can't get over that descent image...you can even see the design on the parachute.

"Amazing" is an over-used word, yet it applies.

The image is awesome, what would be even better would be matching it up with an image taken by the descent camera that was taken at exactly the same time as the MRO one.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Leonard David: How much residual fuel? What was touchdown speed?

140 kg - lot more than planned for. Reported touchdown speed - 0.75 meters/second, right on the money. 4 cm/sec horizontally. "That's called straight down."
    A lot of mass that could have been instruments then.. if we could know everything in advance.

Sounds like an excellent landing! Thanks for the writeup, ToSeek.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

JPL update should start any minute now.

edit to add....oops....looks like it won't be until 4PM pacific time. 3 hours from "now".

True that the fuel mass could have been swapped out for other things, but it's the 'what-ifs' that make that fuel valuable. Having an extra instrument would have been worthless if they had needed a few extra kgs of fuel for a good landing.

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    JPL update should start any minute now.

edit to add....oops....looks like it won't be until 4PM pacific time. 3 hours from "now".

Ok...I am officially confused...according to NASA select's schedule, the update will be at 2PM pacific...in an hour.

best bet....watch NASA TV all day long....

I don't believe the fuel overload was sloppy. If the descent had happened in a sandstorm or the radar had detected a large rock that would probably have been a lot less. They have allowed for this, and maybe they can trim it down next time.

Why only the other day djellison wanted his electric vehicle topped up at all times, "just in case".

The image in post #42 has left me speechless.

I'm so glad I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post
    True that the fuel mass could have been swapped out for other things, but it's the 'what-ifs' that make that fuel valuable.
    Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    I don't believe the fuel overload was sloppy.
    I guess a smiley was necessary, even with the 2nd half of the sentence.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

You want to be watching the press conference in 2hrs 10 minutes.

Will you be there (waving)

Quote Originally Posted by djellison View Post

I "want" to be watching it right now. (TV schedule smillee)

Quote Originally Posted by djellison View Post
    That good, eh? *cough*MARDI*cough*

As if I could fall asleep anyway...

Good? I thought we will now get some lowres thumbnails from MARDI, like with hazcams before...

Yes. 192x144. But when was the last time you saw a Mars landing from that kind of vantage point, in color?

Oh, and also, one full resolution image *might* have also been downlinked.

I wonder if we'll get to see the discarded backshell and parachute enter the FOV, that would be awesome.
    Last edited by ugordan; 2012-Aug-06 at 09:56 PM.

Is the next press conference starting a bit late or is that just me??

The landing animation is...well, amazing.

Gotta love the answer to the question...."are there any problems at all?"

No.