Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Curiosity Surface Operations

Such an improvement over the terrain we saw in the Viking program. The bleak, rock strewn fields may have made folks lose interest in Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Such an improvement over the terrain we saw in the Viking program. The bleak, rock strewn fields may have made folks lose interest in Mars.
    I guess they picked somewhere flat-ish because it was the first time NASA had tried to land there. Just like Apollo 15 wasn't the first moon landing (just the one with the best scenery).

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Recall that Curiosity didn't land in interesting terrain. It landed in safe terrain and drove here. Viking didn't really allow that.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Scientific American article by Dana Hunter, because she comes to my pumpkin events!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    Yes, but has Curiosity convinced the Martians to join the Allies against the Turks?

phys.org: Curiosity Mars rover can choose laser targets on its own

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity is now selecting rock targets for its laser spectrometer—the first time autonomous target selection is available for an instrument of this kind on any robotic planetary mission.
    Armed and dangerous. #pewpew
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Moderation. Modest proposal. modest = moderate (adj). heteronym: moderate (v). Sometimes I do these just for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Scientific American article by Dana Hunter, because she comes to my pumpkin events!
    I missed this when you posted it. Being a sort-of wannabe geologist, I'm fascinated.

Curiosity rover got a 2 year extension which started on the 1st of October

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1009572.shtml

US space agency NASA said Monday its Curiosity rover is driving toward uphill destinations on the Red Planet's Mount Sharp as part of its second two-year mission extension that commenced on Oct. 1.

The new destinations included a ridge capped with material rich in the iron-oxide mineral hematite, about two and a half kilometers ahead, and an exposure of clay-rich bedrock beyond that, NASA said.

These are key exploration sites on lower Mount Sharp, which is a 5.5-kilometer-high layered mound where Curiosity is investigating evidence of ancient, water-rich environments that contrast with the harsh, dry conditions on the surface of Mars today, it said.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This is a little cynical, but I hope they will get to the mountain in the 2nd extended mission.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Curiosity rover got a 2 year extension which started on the 1st of October

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1009572.shtml
    :-D

Fantastic! Curiosity should get a life time guaranteed support to rove around as long as it can, she's good to the last bit.

That's not how NASA works. Each mission has to reapply for funding every 2 years. This keeps the teams sharp and the science questions updated. It's a good process that I participate in with SHARAD. I just wish it was 3 years instead of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    That's not how NASA works. Each mission has to reapply for funding every 2 years. This keeps the teams sharp and the science questions updated. It's a good process that I participate in with SHARAD. I just wish it was 3 years instead of 2.
    You must have a fairy godmother looking after you. You just might get your wish

http://spacenews.com/report-recommen...ence-missions/

As a series of NASA planetary spacecraft begin extended missions, a recent National Academies report recommends that the agency work with Congress to stretch out the review process that determines whether science missions should continue.

Among the missions that formally started two-year extended missions Oct. 1 was NASA’s flagship Mars mission, the rover Curiosity. The rover landed on Mars in August 2012 and, after completing a prime mission of nearly two years, NASA approved a two-year extended mission in 2014. The agency earlier this year approved a second two-year extension that runs through September 2018.

One major recommendation from the report, though, was to extend the time between senior reviews. “Regular reviews of operating missions are essential. However, the current 2-year cadence creates an excessive burden on NASA, mission teams, and the Senior Review panels,” the report states. That burden comes from the time spent by mission teams preparing proposals and by NASA to recruit other scientists to review those proposals and then act on the recommendations of the reviewers. - See more at: http://spacenews.com/report-recommen....VCwQcbaD.dpuf

That would relieve a big burden from the scientists. We spend about 4 months out of every two years working on that proposal. It's tedious and takes away from doing science. A 3 year cadence would allow us to spend 32/36=89% of our time doing science rather than 20/24=83% of our time.

Curiosity is having drill problems

spaceflightnow.com

Engineers suspect a piece of foreign object debris may be intermittently stalling a motor needed to place the Curiosity Mars rover’s drill bit onto rocks, and the robot’s ground team is assessing the source of the potential contamination.

More importantly, Curiosity project manager Jim Erickson said, engineers are spending the holidays crunching data from a series of diagnostic tests conducted in recent weeks to analyze the drill’s behavior and determine a possible fix.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules