Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Mars Mission

Indian Mars Mission

From CBS News

India plans to send a spacecraft to Mars next year on a scientific mission critics say shows the governing party's skewed priorities when people lack electricity and safe drinking water.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced the 4.5 billion rupee ($82 million) mission during a speech Wednesday marking the 65th anniversary of India's independence from British rule.

"This spaceship to Mars will be a huge step for us in the area of science and technology," he said.

The spacecraft will orbit Mars to collect data after its launch in November 2013 on a frequently used rocket developed by the Indian Space Research Organization.

India has had an active space program since the 1960s and has launched scores of satellites for itself and other countries.

In 2008, India successfully sent a probe to the moon that detected evidence of water on the lunar surface for the first time. India is also planning a rover mission to the moon and is awaiting budgetary approval for a manned space mission.
    I checked a bunch of news sources and all of them spent a lot of time discussing the "controversey" and the massive power failure they had recently, with virtually no details on the mission itself.

I also checked the Indian Space Research Organization website and couldn't even find a press release about it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

theres this from the Hindu Times

The spacecraft will be placed in an orbit of 500 x 80,000 km around Mars and has a tentative scientific objective for studying the climate, geology, origin, evolution and sustainability of life on the planet.

Scientific payloads for the Mars Orbiter Mission have been short-listed by ISRO’s Advisory Committee for Space Sciences (ADCOS) review committee.

Baseline, solar array and reflector configuration of the satellite have been finalised, officials said.

so its more a Mars Express Kinda highly elliptical orbit

Just looking at that though, they must knock their stuff up pretty quick if its for a november 2013 launch
    Last edited by mutleyeng; 2012-Aug-16 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added story link

It seems a little strange that they plan to launch in 15 months and they are just now finalizing the design.

or that they would choose an unfavorable launch window 2 months before the optimal one.

How long did we take to build Mariner 9?
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Well, I wish them the best. Only NASA seems to have much success with Mars, though not for lack of trying. The Soviet Mars probes read like a litany of woe.

How long did we take to build Mariner 9?

Probably not long, as it was just a souped-up Mariner 6/7 design.

It's perhaps worth noting that no country's first Mars mission has ever succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    Only NASA seems to have much success with Mars, though not for lack of trying.
    *cough*

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus View Post
    It's perhaps worth noting that no country's first Mars mission has ever succeeded.
    Is that true? According to the chart on Wiki, Mars Express was the first ESA mission and it was a success.

Quote Originally Posted by mutleyeng View Post
    Just looking at that though, they must knock their stuff up pretty quick if its for a november 2013 launch
    Or delay their announcements for quite some time.

Well Mars Express was a success, but Beagle 2 wasnt.
    Mind you, thats mostly because Beagle was seen very much as an add on secondary objective - so i dont really think too much can be read into that.
    At least, thats what Im telling myself if Exomars gets off the ground

Well, I can't help wonder if they will end up like Nozomi or worse. Space do not forgive even smallest mistake. Japan problems with Hayabusa, Nozomi or Akatsuki show they are almost exactly on line between being good and bad in it - and reminds that NASA does not have it easy, only make it looking easy.

It is hard to imagine less experienced India will be better than Japan.

Re Mars Express: IMO, I consider it a stretch; the orbiter/lander was a composite project with the input of many ESA members. Even if say, the French built most of it (I don't know if they did; I'm just saying), it was never marketed as a "French" mission, or as one of any specific country.

thats a bit unfair - the reason we have ESA is so that we can do composite projects. In fact, the way ESA works, you wouldnt ever get a single nation having such a role within the organisation.

What's behind the competition? I'd have thought that we'd have been able to pool our efforts by now. The ESA's doing a good job of that.

Re Mars Express: IMO, I consider it a stretch; the orbiter/lander was a composite project with the input of many ESA members. Even if say, the French built most of it (I don't know if they did; I'm just saying), it was never marketed as a "French" mission, or as one of any specific country.
    That's right, Mars Express is a European mission, under the flag of ESA. Beagle2 however was distinctly "marketed" as a British, non-ESA project, mostly seperated from Mars Express (while acknowledging that there always needed to be cooperation on interfaces, communication and whatnot). AFAIK none of the other seperate components of Mars Express were treated like that. Sow how is it a stretch? I don't understand what you mean.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I meant that it was--strictly IMO--a stretch to call Mars Express a fully successful first "country" mission, in response to NEO's post. Beagle, as aforementioned, was a "British" mission. Anywho, that's just my op; one should take a wait-and-see with any Mars mission.

I meant that it was--strictly IMO--a stretch to call Mars Express a fully successful first "country" mission, in response to NEO's post. Beagle, as aforementioned, was a "British" mission. Anywho, that's just my op; one should take a wait-and-see with any Mars mission.
    I'm sorry, I see now.. I mixed up ravens_cry's and your posts in my head, thus losing your specific mention of a country.

I meant that it was--strictly IMO--a stretch to call Mars Express a fully successful first "country" mission, in response to NEO's post.
    I took the original comment not to be literally a "country", but rather in the spirit of the organizations formed for spaceflight by the governments of countries. (actually, more like any entity that has attempted a Mars mission)

But; I suppose if you want to nitpick, Mars Express was a countries' mission and not a country's mission.

A little update on this from the Planetary Society: Mangalyaan, India's 2013 Mars mission, is now under construction

I think it will be pretty cool for India to get one out to Mars. I hope they do, and I hope they get the space bug.

I can't wait 'till they launch their Delta IV heavy class GSLV III: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geosync...Vehicle_Mk_III

They are on their way.

from spaceflightnow.com
    India's workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle blasted off Tuesday with the country's first Mars mission, a low-budget project marking India's foray into an elite club of space powers.

The 146-foot-tall rocket, specifically tailored for the Mars mission, launched at 0908 GMT (4:08 a.m. EST) Tuesday from the Satish Dhawan Space Center, India's spaceport on Sriharikota Island about 50 miles north of Chennai.

The launch took place at 2:38 p.m. local time, and the PSLV's six-strap on boosters and core solid-fueled motor combined to produce more than 2 million pounds of thrust to push the rocket through low-level clouds on an easterly course over the Bay of Bengal.

The probe's arrival at Mars is fixed on Sept. 24, 2014, when the spacecraft's main engine will ignite to guide itself into a unique high-altitude orbit around the red planet.

Operating from a perch taking the spacecraft from just above the Martian atmosphere to a peak altitude of nearly 50,000 miles, the Mars probe will survey the planet with five science instruments, gathering data on the history of the Martian climate and the mineral make-up of its surface.

The mission carries a color imaging camera to return medium-resolution pictures of the Martian surface, a thermal infrared spectrometer to measure the chemical composition of the surface, and instruments to assess the Mars atmosphere, including a methane detector.

Congratulations, India.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I wish them all the best. The more the merrier I say.

I read that it will spend a week orbiting the Earth, building velocity by successive assymetric orbits until it's going fast enough for a transfer to Mars.
    How does that work? Somehow I can see that passing an planet, a la Voyagers can accelerate a probe, but repetitive orbits of the same planet?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    I read that it will spend a week orbiting the Earth, building velocity by successive assymetric orbits until it's going fast enough for a transfer to Mars.
    How does that work? Somehow I can see that passing an planet, a la Voyagers can accelerate a probe, but repetitive orbits of the same planet?

John
    Oberth maneuvers, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Oberth maneuvers, maybe?
    Makes sense to fire during the part of orbit when it has the most effect. *nods*

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Go, probe, go!

The name's a bit bland (Mars Orbiting Mission), but Godspeed all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh, come on, who doesn't love their MOM?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The first name of anything seems to be always bland. Look at the title of the first Star Trek movie.