Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Indian Mars Mission

They actually published a scientific paper from the results from MOM after one and a half years better late then never. At least we now know MOM did see something but...."But apart from the odd spikes in data, methane’s presence has not been confirmed."

Pity the paper on the discovery of water on the moon was not accepted for publication by many journals back in 2008 as many did not believe the moon had water then. After that and now MOM me thinks reports from India will get a bit more respect.

http://thewire.in/2016/03/03/first-s...blished-23544/

The first scientific result from an instrument onboard India’s Mars Orbiter Mission probe to the red planet was published on February 19, in the journal Geophysical Research Letters. The publication comes after multiple calls have been made for the Indian Space Research Organisation, which operates the probe, to release results and data obtained by it.

Great result! I'm really happy to see that the other instruments on MOM are working.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

A pat on the back for India/ISRO by universetoday.com

http://www.universetoday.com/127690/...g-mars-images/

Science—like literature and the arts—helps nations cooperate together, even when they’re in conflict politically. The USA and Russia are in conflict over the Ukraine and Syria, yet both nations still cooperate when it comes to the International Space Station. With that in mind, it’s great to see other nations—in this case India—taking on a greater role in space exploration and sharing their scientific results.

India’s Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) probe has been in orbit around Mars since September 2014, after being launched in November 2013. Though the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has released plenty of pictures of the surface of Mars, they haven’t released any scientific data. Until now.

More data released by MOM. This time from the Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA).

http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html...tm_source=t.co

The Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA), onboard Indian Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) is a mass spectrometer, provides in-situ measurements of the neutral composition of the exosphere of the Mars. MENCA is capable of measuring relative abundances of neutral constituents in the mass range 1 to 300 atomic mass unit (amu); the major gases in the Martian atmosphere fall in this range. In addition to acquiring the mass spectra in a specified mass range, the instrument has a provision to track the time variation of the abundances of a set of selectable species. The observation from MENCA will help in understanding the escape of the Martian atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    More data released by MOM. This time from the Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA).

http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html...tm_source=t.co
    This is puzzling:

"MENCA observations have shown that the abundance of Oxygen exceeds that of Carbon Dioxide at an altitude of 270 ±10 km during Martian evening... It is important to note that the CO2-to-O dominance transition altitude differs in day and night, and also varies with different seasons of Mars"

Where do those molecules go? They can't travel ± 10 km in just a Martian day.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

crosscountry is going to love the latest release from MOM. A 3D photo of one of the poles of Mars.

http://spaceexp.tumblr.com/post/1472...-3d-view-movie

MCC full disc images are actually obtained in perspective geometry. These images have been rectified using geometric correction steps to align to the Mars global map including a map projection step. Each one of the full disc images covers partial portion of the Mars disc but not complete. While mosaicing the images, relative geometric differences were removed by additional image registration procedure. A seamless Mars full disc canvas was prepared, adjusting the colour differences between images.

Subsequently, the Mars Global mosaic was rendered by a 3D Planet engine with the parameters specific to Mars enabling to take any view of the planet according to the viewer position and altitude

Eight full disc images from Dec2015 and Jan 2016 MCC were used. The Pixel Resolution was uniformly scaled to 4 km pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    crosscountry is going to love the latest release from MOM. A 3D photo of one of the poles of Mars.

http://spaceexp.tumblr.com/post/1472...-3d-view-movie
    A beautiful image! You can even see some of the summer dust storms that blow off of the cap.

MOM to have course correction in January.

http://zeenews.india.com/space/manga...o_1917488.html

Nearly two years after it was launched, 'Mangalyaan' is still functioning well, and with a planned course correction next January to extend its battery life, it would keep going for many years, ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar said on Wednesday.

The correction in the trajectory of the Mars Orbiter Mission (MoM) is required to keep the power supply strong during a long-duration eclipse - caused by shadow of Mars falling on it for 7-8 hours - so that it could continue to function longer, he said.

"The long-duration eclipse period (in January) could cripple the satellite if no corrections are done because the battery cannot support long-duration eclipse," Kumar said.

Happy 2nd birthday MOM. It is 2 years since you arrived at Mars and put India in the limelight Glad to read that data that MOM is gathering is now released to those interested in it.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/sci...cle9146662.ece

The Mars Orbiter that catapulted India to space history has quietly had its second birthday - in its orbit around the red planet.

On September 24, 2014, India became the only nation to date to put a spacecraft around the planet in its very first attempt.

The debut achievement of making the spacecraft go round the planet was the most challenging manouevre of the mission. It eluded old planetary warhorses Russia, the U.S. and Europe, who started out into space 50 years back with superior rockets.

Congrats, and thanks for the wonderful pictures!

ISRO to do an orbit adjustment of MOM early next year

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/54509305.cms

With the Mars Orbiter Mission completing two years, ISRO on Sunday said it will be doing a "major event" of effecting a manoeuvre on the Orbiter next year to reduce the impact of an "eclipse duration" to allow the spacecraft "survive" for more time.

ISRO chairman AS Kiran Kumar said the MOM had completed two years on Saturday although its original mission life was slated to be six months, and that the space agency had released a lot of first year data beamed by its five payloads.

"Our next major event in the Mars Orbiter will be sometime in the beginning of next year when we will be doing a manoeuvre to reduce the impact of the eclipse duration the satellite is going to encounter," he told reporters here.

He said during an eclipse the battery in the satellite has to support its operation and if the eclipse duration is "very long" then the battery may not be able to support it.

Some more lovely pictures by MOM in this report by Sandhya Ramesh in the latest The Planetary Society magazine.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/guest...y-at-mars.html

On Mars Orbiter Mission’s (MOM) second anniversary of Mars arrival, ISRO has (finally!) made available to the public data from its first year in orbit. As expected, there are no dramatically new science results. The most anticipated results were from the Methane Sensor for Mars (MSM), which unfortunately hasn’t found any methane on the planet. This does not necessarily imply that there is no methane at Mars, only that MSM is likely not sensitive enough to sense trace amounts of methane that are present.

Other payloads include the Lyman Alpha Photometer (LAP), which studies the abundance of deuterium and hydrogen in the atmosphere, the Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer (TIIS) to study and map the mineral surface of Mars, and the Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA), a neutral gas spectrometer. MENCA’s science results were already published in a paper in March.

The Mars Color Camera (MCC) has captured a variety of wide-angle views. It takes MOM a little over three days to complete one orbit of Mars, and the camera typically takes at most four pictures per day. The spacecraft has an extremely elliptical orbit with a periapsis altitude of 343 kilometers and an apoapsis altitude of 71,191 kilometers. As it swings around Mars, it can see the full disk or closer images. There are more than 500 images available to play with. They can be downloaded from the website at reduced resolution in PNG format, or in 16- and 32-bit archival formats. However, the website is buggy, with frequent timeouts and freezes.

The images have incredible detail, and show surface features and dust patterns clearly.

nice!

Emily Lakdawalla has taken the 1st year data from MOM and made it more easily to us laypersons. Thanks Emily. She has also given us more lovely pictures taken by MOM.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...h-mom-mcc.html

It's always a delight to sink my teeth into a new data set, and I have spent this week playing with one I've been anticipating for a long time: ISRO's Mars Orbiter's Mars Colour Camera, or MCC. Last week, they released the first year's worth of mission data, up to September 17, 2015. In this post I'll show you some highlights of the data set, then go into more detail about how you can access the data and some of the things I learned about the data set while I was playing with it.

MCC is different from most recent Mars cameras in that it has a very wide field of view, designed so that it is capable of imaging all of Mars' disk when the spacecraft is near the apoapsis of its highly elliptical orbit. It doesn't take crisp high-resolution views of Mars; instead, MCC's value lies in its ability to capture beautifully colored, regional views of the planet that can serve as context images for other missions' more detailed but much more narrowly focused pictures. Its detector is 2048 pixels square, so its images have plenty of pixels for print publication. For instance, here is a lovely view of a hemisphere of Mars that contains many past and future landing sites:

The headline says "ISRO’s Mangalyaan completes first revolution around Mars in two years" but I think what they are celebrating is MOM completing one full Martian year orbiting Mars. Congratulations ISRO

http://tecake.in/news/space/isro-man...ars-26156.html

Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) iconic Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) also known as Mangalyaan has completed its first revolution around Mars. The historic Mangalyaan mission reached the red planet nearly two years ago and has successfully completed the first revolution. It is to be noticed that one year on Mars equates to almost two years on Earth.
    While making the announcement Ritu Karidhal, deputy operation director of Bengaluru-based MOM ISRO Satellite Centre, said that India’s first Mars mission has collected and beamed back important data in the past couple of years and scientists at ISRO are analysing it to understand the Martian climate and conditions which include atmosphere, air composition, land and water.

I just read this about the MOM methane detection instrument. Sad news that it won't be able to detect methane. Good news that it still has some other value!

http://www.seeker.com/india-mars-orb...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    I just read this about the MOM methane detection instrument. Sad news that it won't be able to detect methane. Good news that it still has some other value!

http://www.seeker.com/india-mars-orb...medium=twitter
    Thanks for the update. Explains why there was no news for over 2 years. But it a valuable learning experience for India.

My understanding was the probe was put together by the engineers as a demonstration and only as a afterthought were the scientists consulted.

For MOM-2 they are going through the process of getting proposals from the scientist.

Still it was a fantastic job by the ISRO engineers to achieve what they did.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I agree! It was a fantastic job.

My memory tells me that India already had the instruments built, so they were very cheap. This was part of the appeal - low costs with big reward. If that's true, then the instrument was built well before the mission was designed, so the engineers were not thinking about methane on Mars when it was built.

Now we have a video of some of the ladies that worked on the MOM mission. The video is 11 minutes long. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6E7qGhOGCA

In the second episode of Science Friday and HHMI's series "Breakthrough: Portraits of Women in Science," three scientists share stories about India's first interplanetary mission—a mission to Mars. With limited time and budget to design and launch the satellite—called MOM (for Mars Orbiter Mission)—Seetha Somasundaram, Nandini Harinath, and Minal Rohit spent long hours in the clean room, followed by tense and exciting moments tracking the satellite as it entered Mars's orbit. Their efforts helped India become the first nation to successfully reach the Red Planet on its first attempt.

In the news about the change the orbit of MOM to minimise the effect of the eclipse there was good news from one of the instrument. The Mars Exospheric Neutral Composition Analyser (MENCA) - was able to corroborated detection of briny water solutions on the Martian surface.

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/ahmed...w/56674464.cms

"Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation have successfully realigned the orbit of the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) Mangalyaan on Tuesday so that the satellite is not affected by long-duration eclipse, said ISRO chairman A S Kiran Kumar on Thursday. Kumar also added that work on ISRO's ambitious South Asia satellite project has begun. The satellite is expected to be launched by March this year, he said."

Good news on the new orbit!

A new picture from MOM. This time of Eridania quadrangle of Mars.

http://spaceref.com/mars/indias-mars...e-of-mars.html

This image covers about 310 km x 310 km area with 154 m per pixel resolution in Eridania quadrangle of Mars, adjacent to Mare Cimmerium on it right and Muller crate to its left in the southern hemisphere at areographic region centered around (24 S, 133 E).

This MCC picture was taken on March 15, 2017 from an altitude of 3072 km. This RGB image has been color enhanced/sharpened for better visual appeal.

MOM has completed 1000 earth days at Mars. Congratulations ISRO.

http://www.isro.gov.in/mars-orbiter-...000-days-orbit

"Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), the maiden interplanetary mission of ISRO, launched on November 5, 2013 by PSLV-C25 got inserted into Martian orbit on September 24, 2014 in its first attempt. MOM completes 1000 Earth days in its orbit, today (June 19, 2017) well beyond its designed mission life of six months. 1000 Earth days corresponds to 973.24 Mars Sols (Martian Solar day) and MOM completed 388 orbits."