Page 103 of 106 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3167

Thread: What are you watching?

Caught the last 80% or so of "Dark Victory" (1939) on Community TV last night. As a contemporary review said 'a three hankie weepie'. Absolutely unrealistic of course but Bette Davis was at her peak and just dominated the screen and almost made you believe in what was going on.

Lego Masters Australia.

Stumbled on episode two yesterday. Nice TV. No idea how many seasons it's been on.

By chance (for me) an item in the news about it: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...d-of-trashy-tv
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

The Untouchables on AMC.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Finally saw Endgame yesterday and really liked it!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Watched a few episodes of Final Space, but I just can’t get into it because the protagonist is so annoying. He’s not Jar Jar Binks bad, but that’s really faint praise.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Last episode of Big Bang in less than hour I bet it was all a holographic projection on the Enterprise D. ;-)

Huh, they fixed the elevator.

Great ending, the continuing voyages kind of ending, perfect ending to young Sheldon as well.

Iron Sky: The Coming Race. Fans of the original seem to have been vomiting bile over this one, but I thought it was a great improvement - quite a pleasing mash-up of Fortean references to Bulwer-Lytton, esoteric neo-Nazi mythos, Pellucidar, David Icke's Anunnaki and the Voynich manuscript, with nods to Dinotopia, Dark Star and The Expanse, as well as some other stuff I'll remember in a minute. And anything that pokes fun at Apple-worshippers is fine by me.

Grant Hutchison

The Voynich manuscript might have been---oh no...
    https://gizmodo.com/sorry-it-looks-l...the-1834841706

Last night, I watched NO EXIT
    https://www.cbsnews.com/video/no-exi...rning-special/

It was on Friday night--though it was CBS Fresh Nostalgia-producing SUNDAY MORNING

What was that word neodothsony....
    Last edited by publiusr; 2019-May-18 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    What was that word neodothsony....
    Nosthedony?

Grant Hutchison

Yes--you had a thread on that yourself..I remember now.

Mrs schlaugh and I just got back from our Valentines Day event (hey, no one ever accused us of being timely). We attended an actual flesh and blood musical and enjoyed it greatly. The show is Ride the Cyclone, which "tells the story of the members of St. Cassian High School chamber choir of Uranium, Saskatchewan, who perish on a faulty roller coaster called "The Cyclone". Each tells a story to win the reward of a mechanical fortune teller — the chance to return to life. "

Typical silly musical premise but loads of fun.

Aladdin with Will Smith. Enjoyable and visually rich. Smith does a good job as the djinn but I canít compare to Robin Williams because I never saw the animated film.

Ameirca's Got Talent, the first guy one was great.
    https://youtu.be/d22xSCEOqS0

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Aladdin with Will Smith. Enjoyable and visually rich. Smith does a good job as the djinn but I can’t compare to Robin Williams because I never saw the animated film.
    My nieces lived as in the house as I did until the oldest was ten, I have seen all the Disney animated movies several times. but have nit seen the Will Smith version to bad we couldn't combine our experiences.

I've decided not to watch any of the live action versions, as they don't have to pay the writers of the animated ones even if they're directly lifting dialogue, due to union rules about how writers for animated movies are treated differently.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've decided not to watch any of the live action versions, as they don't have to pay the writers of the animated ones even if they're directly lifting dialogue, due to union rules about how writers for animated movies are treated differently.
    That seems a little weird. The union - and I assume thatís the writers guild - doesnít want writers to accrue derivative rights and royalties, regardless of animation or live action?

I could see where Disney would be strict about it (Disney is NOT an easy Company with which to do business). But not the writers guild. Iím curious as to their reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    That seems a little weird. The union - and I assume that’s the writers guild - doesn’t want writers to accrue derivative rights and royalties, regardless of animation or live action?

I could see where Disney would be strict about it (Disney is NOT an easy Company with which to do business). But not the writers guild. I’m curious as to their reasoning.
    Animation writers and live-action writers are represented by two different unions.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Of course. Hollywood.

A very hopeful review for the'Movie' of Deadwood. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/29/a...=edit_th_19053
    It seems that, as with the original, the warnings about violence and bad language need to be taken seriously by those likely to be offended.

I am looking forward to catching up with this bunch of murderers, miscreants and hard as nails pioneers.

The writers' guild strike from some years ago was intended to bring some balance there and have the animation writers protected by the same rules, among other things. And that's one of the details that failed.

"You can't erase icing."

Going to be watching Good Omens later today. It'll be interesting to see if my wife likes it. She does very much like David Tennant.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Re-watched The Greatest Show.

I wonder if the fictional Barnum had anything in common with the real person. Probably not, but maybe by coincidence they could have hit on some similarities.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I just watched a new film on Netflix about a robot A.I and it is actually really good. I really enjoyed it.

I just thought i would mention it as i would imagine it is the sort of film a lot of the members on here would enjoy.

The film is called, "I Am Mother"
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

Looking for Bob's Burgers I found instead 7 seasons of Adventure Time on one of my streaming services.

Before having any streaming access, I had seen most of season 1 several times, a bit of season 2 and lost track after that. So binging it, starting at season 1. Repeat viewing not an issue.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Binge-watching seasons one and two of Downton Abbey. I never followed the show and my wife started watching in season three and I understand thereís a movie coming up, so....

Iím not a big fan of episodic soap operas but this is of course very well done.

Like most of Canada I am watching basketball game. If the raptors win it might get a little loud north of border.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1981 View Post
    I just watched a new film on Netflix about a robot A.I and it is actually really good. I really enjoyed it.

I just thought i would mention it as i would imagine it is the sort of film a lot of the members on here would enjoy.

The film is called, "I Am Mother"
    I watched it recently. Not bad, especially the lead actress Clara Rugaard. She turned in a good performance.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Re-watched The Greatest Show.

I wonder if the fictional Barnum had anything in common with the real person. Probably not, but maybe by coincidence they could have hit on some similarities.
    I just saw this one. I really liked it, but felt the first half was stronger than the second half. The opening number was amazing.
    Solfe

Well a few days later and the Raptors did it, yes there will be parties tonight and a for few days.