Page 139 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141 LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 4217

Thread: What are you watching?

Dark Matter was not to my liking much. The characters were blatant attempts to mimic the success of Firefly, especially the biggest jerk (I say biggest because most of them are jerks on DM). And the racial stereotype of Four was just gratuitous.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Katla, a series set in Iceland during a long-term eruption of the eponymous volcano. Along with the duration of the eruption - which has the show's geologists flummoxed - there are very strange occurrences involving people. Supernatural stuff. I've watched a couple of episodes and it has my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Katla, a series set in Iceland during a long-term eruption of the eponymous volcano. Along with the duration of the eruption - which has the show's geologists flummoxed - there are very strange occurrences involving people. Supernatural stuff. I've watched a couple of episodes and it has my interest.
    We may have to try again. We watched the first 30 minutes and while the cinematography was quite good, the plot....meh. Plus I thought the dubbing was mediocre, as if the voice actors forgot to, you know, act.

In a similar vein we tried to watch Maniac with Emma Stone and Jonah Hill. And couldn't get past the character introductions because the director introduced the mental weirdness waaaayy too soon.

We also tried to watch Army of the Dead with Dave Bautista, for something completely mindless. Nope. Too mindless.

We finally settled on The Secrets We Keep with Noomi Rapace. A 30-minute story that took 97 minutes to tell.

That's OK. Bosch is back next week, although it's the final season. And last week we mini-binged The final season of The Kominski Method, which we expected to enjoy, and did.

We also just wrapped up the final episode of Ripper Street. It was quite good for the most part but started to lose its footing in the end, as most series tend to do. Unless the producers do the right thing and kill it off.

We might start Whitechapel.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Dark Matter was not to my liking much. The characters were blatant attempts to mimic the success of Firefly, especially the biggest jerk (I say biggest because most of them are jerks on DM). And the racial stereotype of Four was just gratuitous.
    I don't know why I like this show so much. All of the characters are zigzagged stereotypes to an extent. Six is a typical idealistic cop, one is an everyman, android is a typical android, two is an action chick, three is despicable, four is a samurai, and so on. I would imagine that was done to allow for character studies, where we measure to see if what they say and do match up their ideals.

Four's character study is screwed up because he actually has "cash and prizes" on the table. Everyone else's rewards more ambiguous and swing between ethical and unethical. Four's problem was that he was instilled with ethics by crazy people, a royal court, an abuse father, and a murdering mother. Ultimately, he's turned on every person he should care about and killed them in the name of honor.

The cultural trappings are rather ugly because they are so poorly done or received*, but also irrelevant to his story. They could have cloaked him in the Roman empire and his story would be the same. Is he the Augustus or Tiberius? He isn't Caligula... yet. We don't really approve of Empires anymore because the potential for disaster is so great, especially with the younger Emperors rising to power too soon.

*I've only studied Japan, China and Korea for a couple of semesters. I can't even tell which one of these cultures they tried to use for the TV show. I get a couple of the references, but definitely not all of the references. For all I know, they managed to combine all three then mashed in some King Arthur and a touch of the American or French Revolution. I can't even evaluate it enough to decide.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Jun-20 at 04:31 PM.
    Solfe

We've been watching and enjoying Loki; last night, during our script read, I had a character who I voiced as Miss Minutes.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I don't know why I like this show so much. All of the characters are zigzagged stereotypes to an extent. Six is a typical idealistic cop, one is an everyman, android is a typical android, two is an action chick, three is despicable, four is a samurai, and so on. I would imagine that was done to allow for character studies, where we measure to see if what they say and do match up their ideals.
    Android was written as a pallid Data clone and it shows, and don't even get me started on the "creative" name. But Zoie Palmer's acting made her into an actual character, which makes Android stand out from all the other so-called characters.

"Okay."

Just finished that yesterday. Was worth the watch. (Found it slightly weird when one of the feature vehicles (there was lots of driving back and forth) was the same model as my own car. Watching the character mess with the radio it was almost too familiar.)

Started Tribes of Europa enjoying it a lot so far. Post mysterious break down of economies and societies, tribes in conflict, interesting small characters within the larger plot.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... A 30-minute story that took 97 minutes to tell. ...
    Much of Katla was like that, but I think it's just the way the genre is meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... And last week we mini-binged The final season of The Kominski Method, which we expected to enjoy, and did.
    Ditto. Nicely finished, not too "super happy ending" nor a surprise "horrorible twist". I'd have watched S4 if they made one.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Android was written as a pallid Data clone and it shows, and don't even get me started on the "creative" name. But Zoie Palmer's acting made her into an actual character, which makes Android stand out from all the other so-called characters.

"Okay."
    I think Zoie Palmer is pretty great. I also happen to like David Hewlett and Will Wheaton, which helped a lot. Both of these guys decided to take the weird and twitchy to the next level in this show. Their "behavior" is almost like parody of the show itself, which is very strange. I said "behavior" because I am not entirely sure they were acting appropriately for the show. "Let's screw around and see what happens?" pretty much covers their characters.
    Solfe

I did try to got back and watch BSG and Stargate Universe today. My brain said, "nope, too dark."
    Solfe

I did try to got back and watch BSG and Stargate Universe today. My brain said, "nope, too dark."
    New!BSG was dark but clever, and then degenerated into "people yelling at each other and the plot getting darker for its own sake".

SGU started as "people yelling at each other and the plot getting darker for its own sake".

Parts of the plot moved a little too fast, and some the the science fiction may soon verge into fantasy (yeah yeah, advanced tech = magic), but overall I was very sad when I got to the end of Tribes of Europa.

Very much want a second season to come ...

(
    That's one of my "issues" with Netflix: I see an interesting series but don't want to start in case it turns out it got canned with no ending. Is there a website with a simple "did it end properly or did it get canned" lookup? :-)
    )

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    (
    That's one of my "issues" with Netflix: I see an interesting series but don't want to start in case it turns out it got canned with no ending. Is there a website with a simple "did it end properly or did it get canned" lookup? :-)
    )
    Ironically (?) that is one reason why we haven't started Manifest.. and given the latest news, won't.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I watched one of my favorite Dark Matter Episodes today. The crew is stuck in a time loop. I like these sorts of stories from some reason. TNG had a couple of great ones. I'll probably try to watch one of those tomorrow.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Ironically (?) that is one reason why we haven't started Manifest.. and given the latest news, won't.

CJSF
    For me it sounded too much like LOST anyway! :-)

CJSF
    But you'll miss the CG wolf! (Arguably one of the worst CG renditions ever.)

I gave up on the show before the wolf. It got too convoluted and senseless. Others may disagree. (I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I watched one of my favorite Dark Matter Episodes today. The crew is stuck in a time loop. I like these sorts of stories from some reason. TNG had a couple of great ones. I'll probably try to watch one of those tomorrow.
    My dentist hates it when I watch time loop stories. It makes me grind my teeth.

The only good one was Groundhog Day and of course it's been done, so repeating it would be an ironic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I gave up on the show before the wolf. It got too convoluted and senseless. Others may disagree. (I was surprised it lasted as long as it did.)
    I believe I stopped somewhere in the first season. It felt like they were just adding mystery on top of mystery, and I got tired of it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

For me it sounded too much like LOST anyway! :-)
    Yes, that’s a good description of the type of show it felt like.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Parts of the plot moved a little too fast, and some the the science fiction may soon verge into fantasy (yeah yeah, advanced tech = magic), but overall I was
    (
    )
    I seem to remember a site like that, but you can just do a web search on “tv shows canceled” or “netflex shows canceled” or name the show . . . that is, get as specific as you want and multiple sites will tell you if something was canceled.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Parts of the plot moved a little too fast, and some the the science fiction may soon verge into fantasy (yeah yeah, advanced tech = magic), but overall I was very sad when I got to the end of Tribes of Europa.

Very much want a second season to come ...

(
    )
    I'm of the mind that starting an existential mystery show these days requires a resolution within a season. Otherwise you're just screwing around.

Build on the resolution later if you can, but get the job done while you know you'll still be on the air, because the TV industry is too volatile for multi-year plot arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

We're slogging through Manifest but, yeah, it's senseless. Last night, I complained to my wife that some of the characters are "Walking Dead stupid". Walking Dead is my touchstone for completely moronic character action and dialog.

Cinema Therapy this week is talking about Indiana Jones, resiliency, and coping when your plans go wrong. Mostly, it's two forty-year-old men sitting around, talking about how much they love Raiders of the Lost Ark.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

On the other hand, I was royally [ticked] off when Ascension gave away the major "secret" at the start of the series. I loved the idea of a secret (though in reality impossible) interstellar mission based on 60s technology and society. But it turned into another dark government conspiracy with no mission at all. I'm wiling to accept there could have been a good mini-series there, based on THAT plot, but it's not the show I was expecting. Then, as now, those sorta "ebil gubmint" conspiracy shows just don't do it for me.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

On the other hand, I was royally [ticked] off when Ascension gave away the major "secret" at the start of the series. I loved the idea of a secret (though in reality impossible) interstellar mission based on 60s technology and society. But it turned into another dark government conspiracy with no mission at all.
    Ah, that twist was the making of the miniseries for me. I recall laughing aloud in delight.

Grant Hutchison

My dentist hates it when I watch time loop stories. It makes me grind my teeth.

The only good one was Groundhog Day and of course it's been done, so repeating it would be an ironic waste.
    I think I like fantasy more than sci-fi, and in this case "time" approximates "magic". I've never seen a show where "time" really has anything to do with the outcome of the story or any sort of meaning to the end result. 45 minutes of highjinx followed by a two or three minute recap and then, poof! it's all gone in the next episode. In the Dark Matters show, Three learns any number of things from other people, but they never ever touch on the idea that he now has these "new" abilities, and heaven forbid that the people who taught him these skills actual remember teaching him. The act of teaching changes you and absolutely never comes up in these works. That should change relationship dynamics.

It seems to be a trope of TV shows where they must do certain types of episodes. I was going to say, "sci fi TV shows" but that not true. It can happen on any show which requires some sort of investigation into past events with imperfect knowledge at the beginning. If no one invokes time travel, it's an imagined excursion into the visualization of possible events. There is an episode of Dark Matter where a cop is able to guess how a crime was committed by visualization. That type of episode runs through all procedural police shows. I'm pretty sure that Grey's Anatomy has an episode like that and of course, Dr. Who is made of that stuff and often does a good job of mixing imagination with actual time travel loops.

There is a minor trope of superhero shows and films where someone with an altered sense of time is impacted by it. The Flash, Whizzer (a Jessica Jones character), and Quicksilver get all bent of of shape when they have to wait or go slow. Usually they get mad, frustrated or go literally crazy. Usually, it is played for laughs but sometimes you can detect an unstated, but real effect on the character. And that is often dark. Circling back to the teaching thing, if someone had forever to teach you a skill in a time loop, they would probably be pretty angry at the end because they would/should have only the final iteration in memory. They would see that lack of mistakes and effectively perfect performance as gaslighting by the other character.
    Solfe

We're slogging through Manifest but, yeah, it's senseless. Last night, I complained to my wife that some of the characters are "Walking Dead stupid". Walking Dead is my touchstone for completely moronic character action and dialog.
    I liked the first of season of the Walking Dead, but once the mystery of where the zombies came from was resolved, the only other option was to have all of the characters self-combust. But usually not the main characters. This usually ran down the path of introduce a new character in an understated way, then kill them. The next step was to introduce a suspiciously similar character in virtually the same way and kill them, too. That gets annoy real quick.

In season one, they ran into some people defending a nursing home. They were never mentioned again. I bet their stories would have better tension and drama than what they actually did with the main characters. At least they had a mission or purpose.
    Solfe

Then, as now, those sorta "ebil gubmint" conspiracy shows just don't do it for me.
    The conspiracy is not the part that ruined it for me; the US government did, in fact, do many underhanded things in secret during the Cold War, including running off the books social engineering experiments. Hiding it for decades is surely not plausible, such a high-budget, high maintenance long term project with no military value.

No, what Bugs Me is lying to the audience. They had ads and cut scenes of a big vessel flying through space. I felt like I'd been played for a chump.

There is an episode of Dark Matter where a cop is able to guess how a crime was committed by visualization. That type of episode runs through all procedural police shows.
    And real-life criminal investigation, too. It's a common detective skill.

I liked the first of season of the Walking Dead, but once the mystery of where the zombies came from was resolved, the only other option was to have all of the characters self-combust. But usually not the main characters. This usually ran down the path of introduce a new character in an understated way, then kill them. The next step was to introduce a suspiciously similar character in virtually the same way and kill them, too. That gets annoy real quick.

In season one, they ran into some people defending a nursing home. They were never mentioned again. I bet their stories would have better tension and drama than what they actually did with the main characters. At least they had a mission or purpose.
    I had trouble with it even in the first season. For example, their group left a major metropolitan area that contains numerous, large lots filled with new, efficient RVs and SUVs. Yet they chose to continue driving that clapped-out piece of junk RV. And pretty much every character would violate basic rules of safety with respect to walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah, that twist was the making of the miniseries for me. I recall laughing aloud in delight.

Grant Hutchison
    I wondered if I had not had it so strongly in my head the show I wanted it to be, if I would have felt differently... but there was the feeling also of being duped somehow that irked me.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org