Page 143 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,290 of 4345

Thread: What are you watching?

The Roku Channel has Crossing Jordan. Alas, the audio and video don't entirely sync!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    4There is only one suspect that probably come out of it ok but I could be completely wrong. But I just wanted to see the ending, I don't think there are going to many mystery shows this season, how would you explain face masks in 60's Cambridge in Endeavour.
    That's Oxford. Never confuse Oxford with Cambridge in the presence of a graduate of Oxford or Cambridge. But otherwise feel free.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The Roku Channel has Crossing Jordan. Alas, the audio and video don't entirely sync!
    When i see unsynced audio i find that rebooting the Roku helps. Unless it’s dubbed audio, then not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    When i see unsynced audio i find that rebooting the Roku helps. Unless it’s dubbed audio, then not so much.
    Smart TV, and rebooting the TV did nothing. Yesterday morning, it was unsynced.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Some TV's and home theatre systems have settings that let you adjust the delay between sound and vision for some of the connection combos. YMMV.

Have been watching A Very Secret Service. French language with subtitles, spies in 60's France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_Secret_Service

Odd little mix of comedy, drama, social/political commentary, and absurdity.

Has made me laugh out loud more than a few things have lately, while also having some very make-me-think stuff.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I’m liking the second season of Star Trek: Lower Decks. I like that they aren’t going off in new stylistic choices like Discovery and Picard: It looks like I expect Star Trek should look like. I’m getting used to their style of humor. Not a lot of big laughs, but I’m really liking the call backs and references. I doubt if you’d get as much out of it if you aren’t very familiar with the various Star Trek series. For instance an item that I did laugh at (and if you haven’t seen it, I’m spoiling this particular joke): One of the crew gets hit with “strange energy” and starts becoming super powerful - it’s a direct call back to Gary Mitchell in the second pilot of the original series. Eventually the doctor uses a tractor to drop a giant boulder on him, which had me laughing in the way they did it, and of course is another call back to how Kirk managed to drop a boulder on Gary Mitchell to stop him. In the current episode they included a bit of behind the scenes trivia I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t looked up a name to refresh myself on the details. I like the level of detail and easter eggs they are working in.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Sep-02 at 09:47 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I saw a bit on the casting of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (for those not aware, this is the 55th anniversary of Star Trek, and there has been some hoopla around that). ST: Strange New Worlds is based on the earlier years of the NCC-1701 Enterprise, when Christopher Pike was captain. This was seen in the first pilot for Star Trek, “The Cage,” which was rejected by the network but there was enough interest to authorize a second pilot with a number of changes, with Kirk as captain. In universe the main series stories started thirteen years after the events of the first pilot. In Star Trek: Discovery they brought back the Pike character, Spock and Number One. That kicked off interest for this new series.

Anyway, for this new series they are bringing back characters both from the first pilot and the main series: Not surprisingly they are bringing back Pike, Spock and Number One. More surprising, they will have cadet Uhuru, Doctor M’Benga (this character was shown in one episode of Star Trek) and Nurse Chapel. The last is interesting since Majel Barrett played both Number One in the first pilot (and a woman in the first officer position was considered too much in the ‘60s) and Nurse Chapel in the main series.

It’s claimed the series is going back to the roots of the original series: Adventure in a hopeful and optimistic future. I’m hoping that is indeed where they are going - I’m tired of dark and depressing themes that are so common in science fiction these days. It’s interesting they are bringing back a number of familiar characters, and this can be seen as a prequel to the original series.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

(I was amused how they made an episode of the original series, by using the un-seen pilot as the source for clips.)

Quite enjoyed the 3rd season of Discovery ... is a 4th coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post

...the earlier years of the NCC-1701 Enterprise, when Christopher Pike was captain. This was seen in the first pilot for Star Trek, “The Cage,” which was rejected by the network but there was enough interest to authorize a second pilot with a number of changes, with Kirk as captain. In universe the main series stories started thirteen years after the events of the first pilo
    I remain impressed at this bit of serendipity.

The 1960s NBC Star Trek producers figured they could save a few dollars by cannibalizing the useless first pilot film within a new story. This extended The Future just 13 years back, but gave the whole "new" universe a history, some backstory for Mr. Spock and a few others, and some gravitas. Without it, Captain Pike would have remained a non-canonical legend, and Spock, Scott, Sulu and the rest would be auditioning for rookie of the year.

What they got was the kind of thing that would alienate (!) new viewers, but something that the rabid fans-a-borning would embrace. I can't imagine the producers going along with this, except to salvage the failed pilot and recover some of its cost.

If they hadn't done this, Star Trek would have had to plod on with a tomorrow cast that had been born yesterday. Somehow, I don't think it would have lasted as long.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    (I was amused how they made an episode of the original series, by using the un-seen pilot as the source for clips.)
    Two episodes, the only two parter in the series. Made sense, they were able to work it in well enough and when I was much younger it made it feel more real for me to see the “older” ship interior, different weapons and “earlier” transporter technology. I didn’t know about the pilots until I was much older.

It was many years before I got to see the pilot in its original form. Some time in the late ‘80s, I think, I saw the videotape of the episode. They had found black and white versions of the parts that had been cut out of the Menagerie episodes. Quality wasn’t the best. Years after that, they found better color film. Now “The Cage” is included as its own episode on some streaming.

Quite enjoyed the 3rd season of Discovery ... is a 4th coming?
    Yes, that was another announcement. This November 18 in the US. There is also an animated series aimed more at children, Star Trek: Prodigy also coming in the fall. Star Trek Picard will be February next year.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I remain impressed at this bit of serendipity.

The 1960s NBC Star Trek producers figured they could save a few dollars by cannibalizing the useless first pilot film within a new story. This extended The Future just 13 years back, but gave the whole "new" universe a history, some backstory for Mr. Spock and a few others, and some gravitas. Without it, Captain Pike would have remained a non-canonical legend, and Spock, Scott, Sulu and the rest would be auditioning for rookie of the year.
    Yes, as I said in my prior post, it made the show feel more real to me to see the changes between the earlier and later Enterprise. It really is quite something, isn’t it? A “failed” pilot spawned books, and decades later added elements to new movies, became part of the lore of Star Trek: Discovery and is essentially the 55 year old pilot to Star Trek: Brave New Worlds. That has to be a record.

What they got was the kind of thing that would alienate (!) new viewers, but something that the rabid fans-a-borning would embrace. I can't imagine the producers going along with this, except to salvage the failed pilot and recover some of its cost.
    I recall it cost over $600,000 to make in the mid ‘60s. That was considered very expensive at that time, so yes, I’m sure cost was a big consideration.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

...Doctor M’Benga (this character was shown in one episode of Star Trek)...
    Nitpick - Dr. M'Benga was in two episodes of the original series.

It’s claimed the series is going back to the roots of the original series: Adventure in a hopeful and optimistic future. I’m hoping that is indeed where they are going - I’m tired of dark and depressing themes that are so common in science fiction these days. It’s interesting they are bringing back a number of familiar characters, and this can be seen as a prequel to the original series.
    It is also apparently going to be more like the old series in that it will be mostly stand-alone episodes rather than a single season-long story.

I thought Captain Pike was the best part of the second season of Discovery, so I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Nitpick - Dr. M'Benga was in two episodes of the original series.
    Huh. Thanks. I looked it up. I remembered him in “A Private Little War,” but not in “That Which Survives.” I think I see why, though. He had a more memorable part in “A Private Little War.” In “That Which Survives” he fills in for McCoy while McCoy is stuck with the landing party, but that’s pretty much it.

It is also apparently going to be more like the old series in that it will be mostly stand-alone episodes rather than a single season-long story.

I thought Captain Pike was the best part of the second season of Discovery, so I am looking forward to Strange New Worlds.
    Yes, there were parts of the second season I liked, and other parts that really annoyed me. The parts that reminded me most of original Trek were the bits I liked best, with Pike being a big part of that. The time travel and Micheal as a Mary Sue were the most annoying parts.

Incidentally, time travel is going to be a big part of the next season of Picard. That doesn’t make me happy - Star Trek has a poor track record with time travel stories. It looks to be still another dire screwup of the timeline that they have to fix, with them coming back to the 21st century.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Sep-10 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We were discussing Columbo earlier, and the BBC has a fairly long article on it, with a number of details about the show and Falk I wasn’t aware of. I didn’t realize it was as popular around the world as it turned out to be. Or the control Falk had in later shows. There is a statue of him in character and his show dog in Budapest. I may rewatch some episodes, also I know I didn’t catch some of the later ones.

Link:
    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-show-columbo

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The later ones are . . . still good. They're not as good as the early ones. I don't blame Falk. It's in part the quality of acting; when the only person you really recognize in an episode is "the guy who played Mike on Twin Peaks," it's not the same as when you recognize, say, Mako. As a minor character.

"You can't erase icing."

It looks to be still another dire screwup of the timeline that they have to fix, with them coming back to the 21st century.
    Awww no. Why? I hope THEY don't screw it up with dire consequences for the series.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

We've been semi-binge watching several series... Better Than Us, which is just keeping our interest above water at the mid-point of season 1, The Mandalorian (my spouse wanted ESPN+ and we found we could get a 3-for bundle that included Disney+ for same price of Hulu and ESPN+), and we just finished Biohackers.

I quite enjoy The Mandalorian, but it brought up something that I find a little depressing. The sequels (the true sequels not the prequels) and the EU shows and such basically undo the end of the original trilogy. Or maybe just subvert the point of it, is a better way to put it. Whether you liked the Ewok celebration in the original ending of ROTJ or not, the film ends with the evil Empire defeated and hope for a new Republic, presumably as representational as it can be, and a future with The Force back in it, in some way. That's swept away with the sequels. The rebellion ultimately failed to bring any real order or benefit, especially to the outer systems, and remnants of the Imperial order remained, some with significant power, straight up through The Rise of Skywalker. I get that in reality, these sort of things happen - we can look to recent events in our own world for examples easily enough - but that used to be the point of epic stories like Star Wars.. good wins the day, and the bad is swept away. Sure, there's always the NEXT villain or the NEXT crisis, but to have essentially nullified ROTJ sorta makes me a bit sad.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Have to totally agree with CJSF there. That, plus the guy sitting next to me who kept checking his phone, really spoiled part 7 for me - and I didn't even bother to see the next two.

Having said that: last night my semi-smart (the non-Android type) Panasonic T.V. told me it had an update available. So I let it, "marveling" about the difference in T.V.'s today and when I was a kid; and after it re-booted it told me it had new apps available.

... and now I have Disney+ available. (I've been resisting buying Chromecast or something for that, as it rankled that I had a "smart" T.V. already.)

So what am I (going to be) watching? ... all that stuff the rest of you have been talking about! :-)

Wanda Vision, Duck Tales, some of the Star Wars movies I've not seen, The Mandalorian, ...

They even have the MASH movie. Been wanting to see that for ages.

Over on Netflix I'm just finishing off Lucifer. Again it's making me notice I'm supposed to care about some introduced-this-season character and I just don't. Watching a show once a week for 10 weeks would mean that character is in my head for two and a half months by the end of the season. (Longer in a 24/25 episode series). But when I binge; the character has been in my head a few days. A new character brought in for the story arc of the current season isn't working for me.

Is it just me or are writers still needing to adjust to binge-mode?

Yes, all these services do change watching habits. I don’t watch nearly as much as I used to, though I’m watching more than, say, five years ago. Most series just don’t work for me and the ones that really work for me are rare. I think last year’s short series Devs is the most recent one that I really looked forward to watching. They spread it out, only showing one new episode per week like the old days, and there was something special about the look of the show that made it intriguing. Also, I think the time helped - that was when the pandemic turned serious and it was nice to have something special to take my mind off things.

Lucifer is one of those shows where I’ve tried to watch it a couple of times but it just couldn’t keep my interest. Ah, well.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

What are you watching?

Some writers have adapted well and treat each season as a 9-hour film; Mare of Easttown is one example. But Ripper Street started out as just a TV show with central characters and a single story per episode. Later it developed a more complex story arc.

I find it amusing to watch a show on a streaming service and realize it was originally aired with commercials; e.g. Dark Matter. Each episode is a series of acts that have their own mini cliffhanger.

In my youth I had a freakishly good memory, and used to laugh at the way TV series with weekly episodes would begin with a "Previously ..." section. Who on earth would fail to retain plot details for a week, I used to wonder.
    Now I mourn the disappearance of "Previously ..." introductions from series made for streaming services. Given the way my memory for trivia has fallen off a cliff of late, and that a binge watch for me involves cramming a couple of episodes into a week, I could really do with the thing I used to mock.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In my youth I had a freakishly good memory, and used to laugh at the way TV series with weekly episodes would begin with a "Previously ..." section. Who on earth would fail to retain plot details for a week, I used to wonder.
    Now I mourn the disappearance of "Previously ..." introductions from series made for streaming services. Given the way my memory for trivia has fallen off a cliff of late, and that a binge watch for me involves cramming a couple of episodes into a week, I could really do with the thing I used to mock.

Grant Hutchison
    We're currently binging our way through Game of Thrones which was originally aired in weekly episodes; 10 each for Seasons 1 to 6, seven in Season 7, only six in the 8th and final Season. So the viewer had to wait a week to find out if a character lost his head/married the evil prince/was slain by Wildlings/etc. With all of the plot lines and characters (IMDB lists 298 roles in two or more episodes) I can see where recaps would be almost critical from week to week. Recaps are available in the streaming service but I don't know if HBO originally provided a "previously" segment. It certainly would have been helpful.

The show is impressive in many ways, not least of which is any given actor's ability to deliver their lines while completely naked.

I’ve had my issues with Star Trek: Discovery, but they had a “Previously on . . .” segment that I really appreciated. Namely, they showed scenes from the first pilot of the original series which were originally aired as part of “The Menagerie” shown about 55 years ago. In fact, I remembered it well, because I watched the show so many times in syndication back in the day, but this was something special.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yes, so far, I feel my memory is still quite good but I also don’t retain things nearly as easily as I used to. I would never have referred to my memory as eidetic, but I usually didn’t take many notes for most classes, and my memory was one of my greatest assets in my job.

When it comes to watching shows, though, binging actually has negative effects on my retention: I notice that if I watch several episodes over one or two days they tend to blur into each other and I don’t remember details nearly as well as when I watch them spread out over time.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I’ve had my issues with Star Trek: Discovery, but they had a “Previously on . . .” segment that I really appreciated. Namely, they showed scenes from the first pilot of the original series which were originally aired as part of “The Menagerie” shown about 55 years ago. In fact, I remembered it well, because I watched the show so many times in syndication back in the day, but this was something special.
    I actually made my wife watch "The Cage" before that episode aired, because she is not as big a "Star Trek" geek as I am.

And I loved it that they did that "Previously on..." like that. I figured that has to be about a record for the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I actually made my wife watch "The Cage" before that episode aired, because she is not as big a "Star Trek" geek as I am.

And I loved it that they did that "Previously on..." like that. I figured that has to be about a record for the longest.
    Yes, I was a little stunned seeing it, then I replayed that segment and clapped (though nobody was around to hear me). It was a great nod to continuity and amusing as well. I wasn’t as thrilled with the actual episode, though. For instance, I was annoyed at the computer controlled shuttle transporter, which strikes me as anachronistic. They were never demonstrated until a few seasons into ST:TNG, and original series transporters weren’t supposed to be as advanced. The way they keep moving things back give the impression that Federation technology is essentially static over centuries. There were other issues too, but I won’t go into them.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Sep-19 at 11:11 PM.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Agreed. Anachronistic technology was one of the biggest problems with "Discovery", to be honest. Now that they've moved "Discovery" into the future, it should be less of a problem - I just hope they don't make the same mistakes with "Strange New Worlds".

I caught this last night. You can call it a short series, or a movie broken up into seven segments between nine and fourteen minutes long. I won’t say much about it, since I think it is best just to watch it. Two things I will say: It is centered around a spacecraft called Atropa and there is a “Whoa!” moment well into the series (but not the end) that I really liked. You’ll know it when you see it. I didn’t anticipate it and it had huge implications for the plot. Anyway, I liked this show and it isn’t that long. Also, you can see it for no cost on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YVuZDt...m3Fga2&index=1

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, also it is supposed to be low budget, but it didn’t feel cheap. The CGI is good, and there is apparently an interior set that gets used in a lot of different shows, but looked right. Also a very nice spacesuit prop: This may be low budget but the spacesuit is much better than, for instance, that on the professionally produced original Star Trek.

The acting didn’t feel amateurish either. And Michael Ironside has a short part on it (he is definitely showing his age, but is still going).

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The Professor And The Madman. Well, that was odd. Liked the dictionary bits, disliked the rest.
    Mel Gibson's Scottish accent hasn't improved in the last 25 years--still the same parody of Glaswegian he used in Braveheart, and a long way from the sort of Borders accent James Murray would have had.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog