Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115
Results 3,421 to 3,429 of 3429

Thread: What are you watching?

We're midway through season 2 of The Crown, and I wonder how closely they've gotten the protagonists down. Prince Phillip (besides whatever dalliances he had, hinted at earlier in the show) is really starting to grow on me. He's sarcastically funny and even with his aristocratic background, somewhat more reality based as Matt Smith plays him. But Princess Margaret is by far the most tragic character. It's easy to blame her, if you've never had people in your life with mental illness. I don't know if she was mentally ill or not, but the behavior rings true and close to home. But I haven't yet read a good biography on her. Can anyone recommend one?

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Episode 1 of "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan - 1967. Suitably paranoid and creepy for today's climate.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Episode 1 of "The Prisoner" starring Patrick McGoohan - 1967. Suitably paranoid and creepy for today's climate.
    And filmed in Portmeirion where I got married.!
    Last edited by profloater; 2020-Apr-01 at 09:53 AM.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I have The Prisoner on DVD. I am kind of burned out on it now - it is one of a few series I have seen many times. Years ago, there was a nearby PBS station that had after-episode discussions with a lot of background details and interpretation, which made it a lot more interesting for me.

I found The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. on IMDB tv. It is the first time I have watched it since the original airing. It is a lot like the Wild Wild West, a not-very-serious Western with science fiction elements. I recall it being a lot of fun, but getting less interesting as the series went on. They had one season of 27 episodes.

IMDB Tv also has Blade runner 2049, giving me a second chance to warch it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    And filmed in Portmeirion where I got married.!
    I hoped you used a Mini Moke as the Bridal Car.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I hoped you used a Mini Moke as the Bridal Car.
    Oh yes! In the rooms there they play a closed loop of the series. We would be going there for our anniversary but of course we cannot this time.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I love The Prisoner. The opening credits still give me shivers, and somewhere I still have a Number 6 penny-farthing badge I bought in the legendary science fiction bookshop, Dark They Were And Golden Eyed.
    It's a shame about the last two episodes--opinion seems to differ about whether McGoohan simply had no idea how to end it, produced a botched up ending in a fit of pique, or planned a surrealist ending all along.

Grant Hutchison

Loved "The Prisoner" back in the 60's, I'd order (or cook) a pizza each week to eat while watching it, my personal routine during a time when typical tv shows were lacking good entertainment for the most part. I can still hear the theme song playing in my head even though I haven't seen an episode since back then.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We're midway through season 2 of The Crown, and I wonder how closely they've gotten the protagonists down. Prince Phillip (besides whatever dalliances he had, hinted at earlier in the show) is really starting to grow on me. He's sarcastically funny and even with his aristocratic background, somewhat more reality based as Matt Smith plays him. But Princess Margaret is by far the most tragic character. It's easy to blame her, if you've never had people in your life with mental illness. I don't know if she was mentally ill or not, but the behavior rings true and close to home. But I haven't yet read a good biography on her. Can anyone recommend one?

CJSF
    Oh dear. And now that I've seen the next episode, maybe I don't like him so much.

Re: The Prisoner. I remember starting to watch the series with my wife, but I don't recall if it was rental DVD/Netflix DVD or if it was streaming on Netflix at one point and then was taken off. It was weird and interesting, but apparently not enough to pursue continuing. Maybe I should re-start it. It does disappoint me that it must not really end definitively, based on what's been said. That's a hard sell for the wife and I always prefer an ending, too.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org