Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107
Results 3,181 to 3,191 of 3191

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    It's not tempting me to sign up for Amazon Prime next month.
    Gad. Within a few days of writing that, I receive a physical mailshot from Amazon (first time that's happened), informing me that I'm "eligible" for a free 30-day trial of Prime Video. Yeah, me and everyone else on the planet.
    Pushy.
    Makes me wonder about the health of their Prime Video revenue stream.

Grant Hutchison

Gad. Within a few days of writing that, I receive a physical mailshot from Amazon (first time that's happened), informing me that I'm "eligible" for a free 30-day trial of Prime Video. Yeah, me and everyone else on the planet.
    Pushy.
    Makes me wonder about the health of their Prime Video revenue stream.

Grant Hutchison
    Do they break out prime video there? Here, we get Prime and video is one of the features, like music, but the real reason I got prime was for the shipping. I suppose video factors in to my decision to keep prime, but it wouldn’t be sufficient alone.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well, I looked into it, and it appears that more recently they have started offering video as a separate service here at a modestly reduced cost over full membership. I don’t see the point. There are things I have liked on prime video, but I wouldn’t pay for it separately.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

4. 2019-Nov-29, 11:44 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

With regard to shipping, I'm never in that much of a rush - I always tick the "free delivery in 3-5 business days" option when I order stuff from Amazon, so there would be no advantage to Prime in that regard. The rise of streaming and the move away from physical media troubles me, for various selfish reasons. I presume we'll hit "peak streaming" at some point, and (for me) it would be nice if that happened while there was still a good market for well-produced physical media. So at present I'm just watching what happens, without engaging.

Grant Hutchison

I do save on shipping even though I also click "no rush," because I don't have to make sure I've ordered enough for free shipping. I also get a reduced payment level, because I'm on disability and qualify for it. Funnily enough, I will be using it to buy a movie I'm watching for The Solute's "Year of the Month" feature--because the movie in question isn't available on Disney+. I am buying a physical copy, because I remember having liked it as a kid and am supportive of physical media in general.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Ah, there's a whole other level of "no rush" when it comes to hitting the free shipping threshold. If I want to order something from Amazon that falls below the threshold, it gets dumped in a private "wish list" and stays there until I eventually come up with something else I want (and can't source locally) that takes the total across the threshold. Sometimes stuff sits there for months, waiting for the magic moment. This habit causes laughter and/or incredulity and/or mild annoyance in those around me, but there are some childhood lessons that are both engrained and harmless, so I don't imagine I'll ever change.

Grant Hutchison

Want to routinely hit the free shipping thresholds? Adopt a dog. Ideally, elderly.

Amazon often has better pricing than Chewy on some products.

The second series of "Wellington Paranormal" has just started on Australian TV. Seems just just as much fun as before. I do keep wondering if pzkpfw has wandered across in the background of a scene.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Want to routinely hit the free shipping thresholds? Adopt a dog. Ideally, elderly.

Amazon often has better pricing than Chewy on some products.
    Not going to happen for several reasons. But when I had a cat, I bought his cat food at Costco and his litter at brick-and-mortar stores. Interestingly, and relevant to the thread, the cat liked to watch Good Eats, which has started up again and which my partner is watching.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The Two Popes. Basically just two hours of two old guys talking. Best thing I've seen in the cinema for easily a decade.

Grant Hutchison

The Two Popes. Basically just two hours of two old guys talking. Best thing I've seen in the cinema for easily a decade.

Grant Hutchison
    I have not read a bad review of it on-line. From what I have read, Pryce and Hopkins both turn in excellent performances.