Page 145 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 4383

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I am glad to see that I am not the only person watching these videos. They are usually pretty interesting especially showing some of the more obscure ports, to me anyway, that he uses. I am somewhat concerned about his 'sea legs' though as he often mentions feeling a bit seasick in pretty mild seas. His train trip videos are also diverting.
    One of the reasons the videos work, but which is simultaneously rather upsetting, is the almost complete absence of other passengers due to Covid. I assume the ferries remain economically viable due to the heavy truck traffic. It appears the drivers have separate accommodations.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    One of the reasons the videos work, but which is simultaneously rather upsetting, is the almost complete absence of other passengers due to Covid. I assume the ferries remain economically viable due to the heavy truck traffic. It appears the drivers have separate accommodations.
    I have been out of Internet range in the bush for most of the last 2 days so I am a bit late in responding. Yes, there is no way those ferries would still be running if they relied on passengers to cover the operating costs.

I saw one yesterday in which he was the ONLY passenger on a huge ship.
    When I worked for Boeing, I heard that airlines covered expenses on long-haul flights by carrying belly cargo. Passengers were gravy.

I saw one yesterday in which he was the ONLY passenger on a huge ship.
    When I worked for Boeing, I heard that airlines covered expenses on long-haul flights by carrying belly cargo. Passengers were gravy.
    I also wondered if the long-haul truckers save a few bucks by sleeping in their cabs and so are staying below. Certainly in the US many trucks are equipped for sleeping and basic living but I'm not sure if that applies to the smaller vehicles used elsewhere in the world.

I just watched a couple more of his videos. One was a ferry in which he was surprised and disappointed that his "suite" didn't include a "bathroom". For which, read "toilet".
    I'm in my early 70's. My prostate demands that I have a toilet with a few meters of where I'm sleeping. And the white-footed kitty demands that I give her fresh water in the bathtub bowl every time I get up and go.

I don't think the Japanese long haul trucks travel the sort of distances that would require sleeping compartments. During the current unpleasantness a number of the major airlines are still flying to Australia but carrying no passengers at all but just relying on freight - these are not 'cargo' planes.

At 67 I also like to be near a toilet.

If I'm going to wake up at five o'clock in the blessed AM for no good reason, I'm going to watch a show I don't want to watch with the kids around. So I've started What We Do in the Shadows.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I don't think the Japanese long haul trucks travel the sort of distances that would require sleeping compartments. During the current unpleasantness a number of the major airlines are still flying to Australia but carrying no passengers at all but just relying on freight - these are not 'cargo' planes.

At 67 I also like to be near a toilet.
    Yeah, I'd have to have one of the deluxe rooms with a toilet as well.

In the ongoing Blakes 7 saga, it's episode 4 of season 2 and we're now on the third incarnation of Space Commander Travis, Blakes sworn enemy. The first one was ginger, the latter two have dark hair but there the physical resemblance ends.

I’m curious, has anyone here watched Another Life on Netflix? I’m asking because I was astonished to see it got a second season. Quite some time ago, I watched most of the first episode of the first season (which was as much as I could take) and this hour long show on YouTube talking about technical and plot problems:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UauWDakHQo0

(titled “Netflix Made the Worst Show of 2021” - I agree)

This YouTube show *about* the series was pretty funny and much better than the show it discusses, as they get into a number of absurdities that are fun to hear about but would be painful to actually sit through. This is a show that is so incredibly bad you are left to wonder if they were deliberately aiming for a cultish “It’s so bad it’s good” type show. Most people I’ve seen online discuss the many plot holes, but the technical/science issues were so bad I was having trouble following what was supposed to be happening. It’s like they threw in technical terms just for the sound but had no idea what the actually mean. And watching the first episode I repeatedly was left wondering why they doing this or that. They had a habit of not explaining any background details so as a viewer I was left guessing.

As examples of what I’m talking about:

The first episode starts out with an alien ship landing on Earth and sending a signal off into space, but it isn’t communicating and no aliens walk out. No dates are mentioned but from appearances it is the near future - houses look pretty much the same, there is little evidence of advanced technology.

There is discussion of the signal and a mention that they should go out to the destination where it was directed.

New scene: Inside a large spaceship. (There was no indication prior to this that they had this technology). Every few seconds there is a loud bang and everything shakes. Soon one of the crew is woken up from cold sleep. We hear from the ship’s computer that a bit into their flight that a “dark matter cloud” was detected in their path to the destination. The destination is mentioned but the distance is not. They are now near the Sirius system, and Sirius (I don’t think they mentioned if it was A or B) is throwing out “wobblies” that are causing the shaking. They need to change their course because of the dark matter and need to do a gravity assist around Sirius.

Whew. Issues: It wasn’t initially clear if this was an FTL spacecraft or if it was slower than light sleeper ship expected to take a very long time to reach its destination.

No distance was mentioned, but I looked up the star they referred to and it is roughly a hundred lightyears from the solar system. They finally mention they expect the flight to take six months, so they clearly have FTL, but there is no mention of an FTL drive.

There is no mention of why dark matter would be an issue. There also is no mention of why they couldn’t detect it from Earth but could by eight lightyears from Earth. After all, the key point about dark matter is that there is no method yet to directly detect it. We only infer it based on indications there is more mass (and therefore gravity) than can be directly detected.

There is no explanation for what is actually causing the “wobblies.” I can’t think of any reason a star should be dramatically shaking around a ship like that. There is no explanation of why they are doing a “gravity assist” (which I would assume is actually a powered flyby or Oberth maneuver). A gravity assist can make sense for changes in relatively low velocity travel but they have an FTL drive so it should be irrelevant.

They go into a close orbit of the star for the gravity assist. This takes little time on screen, indicating the ship is capable of great acceleration, which also makes it unclear what the point is here. Anyway, as they get close, the wobblies get dramatically worse. They try to hold on long enough to complete the maneuver but they decide the unexplained wobblies will destroy the ship, so break from orbit. The wobblies go away in seconds. Obviously they can move *very* fast.

This is about where I gave up. I did skip a bit and later there was a scene on Earth where an “expert” found the alien ship was emitting a low frequency sound at “ten hertz per second.”

I also checked a later episode and the “dark matter cloud” actually was visibly dark and blocked light. The YouTube show showed other whoppers, like they land on a planet without space or isolation suits and promptly contract a lethal disease. Their medical expert is at a loss as to how to treat it but finds a solution at the last minute: They go into a close orbit near a star, stand in front of a window and soak up ionizing radiation. They are promptly cured with no radiation sickness.

Again, one wonders if the writer was actually this ignorant or was doing this deliberately.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I vote for ignorant.

Science fiction screenplays seem to be of two extremes; coherent, intelligent and more or less accurate (rare) or “we have $xxx for CGI so let’s throw a bunch of stuff on the wall” (much more common).

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I’m curious, has anyone here watched Another Life on Netflix? I’m asking because I was astonished to see it got a second season. Quite some time ago, I watched most of the first episode of the first season (which was as much as I could take) and this hour long show on YouTube talking about technical and plot problems:

This YouTube show *about* the series was pretty funny and much better than the show it discusses, as they get into a number of absurdities that are fun to hear about but would be painful to actually sit through. This is a show that is so incredibly bad you are left to wonder if they were deliberately aiming for a cultish “It’s so bad it’s good” type show. Most people I’ve seen online discuss the many plot holes, but the technical/science issues were so bad I was having trouble following what was supposed to be happening. It’s like they threw in technical terms just for the sound but had no idea what the actually mean. And watching the first episode I repeatedly was left wondering why they doing this or that. They had a habit of not explaining any background details so as a viewer I was left guessing.

As examples of what I’m talking about:

The first episode starts out with an alien ship landing on Earth and sending a signal off into space, but it isn’t communicating and no aliens walk out. No dates are mentioned but from appearances it is the near future - houses look pretty much the same, there is little evidence of advanced technology.

There is discussion of the signal and a mention that they should go out to the destination where it was directed.

New scene: Inside a large spaceship. (There was no indication prior to this that they had this technology). Every few seconds there is a loud bang and everything shakes. Soon one of the crew is woken up from cold sleep. We hear from the ship’s computer that a bit into their flight that a “dark matter cloud” was detected in their path to the destination. The destination is mentioned but the distance is not. They are now near the Sirius system, and Sirius (I don’t think they mentioned if it was A or B) is throwing out “wobblies” that are causing the shaking. They need to change their course because of the dark matter and need to do a gravity assist around Sirius.

Whew. Issues: It wasn’t initially clear if this was an FTL spacecraft or if it was slower than light sleeper ship expected to take a very long time to reach its destination.

No distance was mentioned, but I looked up the star they referred to and it is roughly a hundred lightyears from the solar system. They finally mention they expect the flight to take six months, so they clearly have FTL, but there is no mention of an FTL drive.

There is no mention of why dark matter would be an issue. There also is no mention of why they couldn’t detect it from Earth but could by eight lightyears from Earth. After all, the key point about dark matter is that there is no method yet to directly detect it. We only infer it based on indications there is more mass (and therefore gravity) than can be directly detected.

There is no explanation for what is actually causing the “wobblies.” I can’t think of any reason a star should be dramatically shaking around a ship like that. There is no explanation of why they are doing a “gravity assist” (which I would assume is actually a powered flyby or Oberth maneuver). A gravity assist can make sense for changes in relatively low velocity travel but they have an FTL drive so it should be irrelevant.

They go into a close orbit of the star for the gravity assist. This takes little time on screen, indicating the ship is capable of great acceleration, which also makes it unclear what the point is here. Anyway, as they get close, the wobblies get dramatically worse. They try to hold on long enough to complete the maneuver but they decide the unexplained wobblies will destroy the ship, so break from orbit. The wobblies go away in seconds. Obviously they can move *very* fast.

This is about where I gave up. I did skip a bit and later there was a scene on Earth where an “expert” found the alien ship was emitting a low frequency sound at “ten hertz per second.”

I also checked a later episode and the “dark matter cloud” actually was visibly dark and blocked light. The YouTube show showed other whoppers, like they land on a planet without space or isolation suits and promptly contract a lethal disease. Their medical expert is at a loss as to how to treat it but finds a solution at the last minute: They go into a close orbit near a star, stand in front of a window and soak up ionizing radiation. They are promptly cured with no radiation sickness.

Again, one wonders if the writer was actually this ignorant or was doing this deliberately.
    I was at a loss for how Another Life got renewed while Away was cancelled! What you've outlined above isn't nearly the worst of it!

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I was at a loss for how Another Life got renewed while Away was cancelled! What you've outlined above isn't nearly the worst of it!

CJSF
    Well, as I said, I stopped watching by near the end of the first episode, aside from looking at a few minutes of a couple of much later episodes (I suspected the dark matter cloud would turn out to be literally dark, decided to check, and it was). I did see commentary about nonsensical plot items that were supposed to be just as bad as the scientific/technical ignorance, but I didn’t watch far enough to get into that and I more or less gave up on following the story in the first episode when so little was making sense anyway.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So I’m trying out the new Hardy Boys series on Hulu and I notice the woman who plays their grandmother looks very familiar but I can’t place her. I look up her name - it’s Linda Thorson, who played Tara on the Avengers in the late ‘60s. A bit of a shock, since she was quite young there, and that’s how I remember her. I’ve seen her once or twice as a guest star on shows since then, but much younger, I think in shows dating back to the ‘80s. The structure of her face was familiar, but the age difference was too much for me to recognize her without a hint. Also, it’s probably been 20 years since I last watched the Tara episodes on DVD.

I’m not sure what I think of this series yet, but it’s rare and a bit of a shock to see the same person acting after only seeing them when they were so much younger. It almost feels like time travel.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I felt that way seeing Diana Rigg on Doctor Who!

What are you watching?

Or in Game of Thrones.

https://www.imdb.com/media/rm784856064/rg1117166336

I saw Diana Rigg occasionally on shows over the years, so I was able to watch her get older and it was not such a shock. No such luck with Linda Thorson. I do remember an occasion or two but long ago.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I was surprised by both Tamlyn Tomita and Ann Magnuson in "Picard."
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

We just watched the Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark with James Gandolfini's son Michael portraying a young Tony Soprano - for about 15 minutes of film time. The bulk of the story is about Christopher Moltisanti's dad, Dickie. There were some rather large plot holes and a more than a little "ok, now what?" One big ah-ha at the end which, to me, made little sense in the context of the Mafia, but, whatever. This film is really for fans of the show but it was kind of a let down.

On to Dune (part one). And I guess a long wait for part two.

This YouTube show *about* the series was pretty funny and much better than the show it discusses, as they get into a number of absurdities that are fun to hear about but would be painful to actually sit through. ...
    I'm late to this conversation so just ignore me, but yes, I'd watched the first episode and had the same reaction: so incredibly stupid that my brain started to seize up and I forgot to feed the cats for three days (not really). But that Youtube video - hilarious! It's over an hour long but I'm going to watch all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I'm late to this conversation so just ignore me, but yes, I'd watched the first episode and had the same reaction: so incredibly stupid that my brain started to seize up and I forgot to feed the cats for three days (not really). But that Youtube video - hilarious! It's over an hour long but I'm going to watch all of it.
    Hah! Well, I’m happy you’re enjoying the YouTube video, it makes the time I spent on my little write up here worth the effort.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We watched Dune tonight on TV (it was released on HBO Max as well as in theaters) and enjoyed it quite a lot. It still helps to know the source material - my wife was somewhat lost early on - but i think Denis Villeneuve and the writers did a fair job of uncomplicating a complicated book.

If you enjoy the Dune story then you’ll likely enjoy this depiction. And i hope they do film Part 2.

Seeing it on the big screen would be even better.

We started watching Only Murders In The Building tonight. Not (yet?) quite the comedy force it's been promo'd as, but so far very well done. I enjoy seeing Steve Martin and Martin Short together. I have a lot less experience seeing Selena Gomez in anything, but so far so good.

We're intermittently slogging through Better Than Us. I don't know; there's something about that show that sorta bugs me.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I watched a few episodes of Better Than Us but it didn’t hold my attention. If Only Murders in the Building is supposed to be funny, it isn’t working for me either. I may try more episodes, but while I usually like Steve Martin and (to a lesser extent) Martin Short this hasn’t been very impressive. It’s certainly not the type of humor I typically expect in a Steve Martin movie. I’ve been waiting for the mystery to get going too.

Selena Gomez seems a decent enough actor but I looked her up and the movies and shows she’s been in aren’t generally my cup of tea, so it’s no surprise I’m not very familiar with her work (the most I could say is that I vaguely recognized her).

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I watched a few episodes of Better Than Us but it didn’t hold my attention. If Only Murders in the Building is supposed to be funny, it isn’t working for me either. I may try more episodes, but while I usually like Steve Martin and (to a lesser extent) Martin Short this hasn’t been very impressive. It’s certainly not the type of humor I typically expect in a Steve Martin movie. I’ve been waiting for the mystery to get going too.

Selena Gomez seems a decent enough actor but I looked her up and the movies and shows she’s been in aren’t generally my cup of tea, so it’s no surprise I’m not very familiar with her work (the most I could say is that I vaguely recognized her).
    Yes, the humor is quite subtle and it's foiled by real tragedy and heartbreak. I'm trying to just let it be the show it is, and I think it's done rather well so far (2 episodes in).

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

We watched All Is True - the speculative and inventive story of Shakespeare's retirement years. I thought it was a decent movie, if a little belabored at times regarding modern political tie-ins (one review purportedly called it "Shakespeare for the #MeToo Generation"). I'm often a sucker for stuff with Dame Judi Dench, so that was probably enough to get me to watch anyways. The handling of ol' Will's sexuality was arguably a bit heavy handed but at least Ian McKellan had a few minutes of screen time there.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I was watching a 1989 episode of "Newhart" and was surprised and pleased to see Robert Picardo, the hologram Doctor on Star Trek Voyager, in a small but showy part.

The first two episodes (combined) of the animated Star Trek Prodigy played on Paramount+. I wasn’t expecting too much out of this, as it is intended for a young audience, the first Star Trek series in that category since the early ’70s animated Star Trek show.

It was okay, not great. Of course there are the unlikely bits, like it’s set in the Delta quadrant, meaning on the other side of the galaxy from the solar system, but somehow an empty Federation starship ended up underground on a world there, and so far two species seen near us (in the original series even) are in the Delta quadrant.

I’ll keep watching it for now, but I’m still not expecting too much. While it isn’t great it isn’t insulting so far (like some of the later episodes of the ‘70s animated Star Trek - that had some actually decent episodes and others worse than original Trek’s third season). Episodes are normally for a half hour slot (so about 23 minutes total). That also means less story development.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The first two episodes (combined) of the animated Star Trek Prodigy played on Paramount+. I wasn’t expecting too much out of this, as it is intended for a young audience, the first Star Trek series in that category since the early ’70s animated Star Trek show.

It was okay, not great. Of course there are the unlikely bits, like it’s set in the Delta quadrant, meaning on the other side of the galaxy from the solar system, but somehow an empty Federation starship ended up underground on a world there, and so far two species seen near us (in the original series even) are in the Delta quadrant.

I’ll keep watching it for now, but I’m still not expecting too much. While it isn’t great it isn’t insulting so far (like some of the later episodes of the ‘70s animated Star Trek - that had some actually decent episodes and others worse than original Trek’s third season). Episodes are normally for a half hour slot (so about 23 minutes total). That also means less story development.
    "Insulting"?

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    "Insulting"?
    Have you watched the animated Star Trek series? I was quite young when I first watched it and even then, while I found some episodes to be very good (like an adaptation of Niven’s “The Soft Weapon”), others were insultingly bad. For instance there was an episode where the computer went wild from a storm of some kind. It had things like an inflatable Enterprise and bridge equipment that left ink rings on the eyes when someone looked into them. The one redeeming feature of the episode is that it was the first introduction of a version of the holodeck (but it wasn’t called that). It was interesting that they had thought of that idea not in the later ‘80s with ST:TNG but in the early ‘70s.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser