Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

The Master.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I like that as well. Dennis Waterman is a good choice for one of the ex cops as he is still best known in the UK for George Carter in 'The Sweeney' a gritty cop show in the 70s featuring the Met Police 'Flying Squad' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sweeney
    I vaguely remember seeing some episodes of "The Sweeney" around the late 70's. I'll have to track down some of the DVD releases. I got caught up on some of New Tricks (Series 6 ). That tv station is starting to air Series 9 tonight, looks like Series 8 episodes are still up for viewing at the station website.

Compared to a 'modern' Cop series the Sweeney is gritty and quite grim.

There isn't always a happy ending, they don't always get their man and sometimes when they do things aren't resolved.
    London in the 70s looks like a grimy, run down and bleak sort of place.
    There is a lot of drinking, smoking and swearing.
    Arrests are made with fists (Typical line as they burst in to arrest someone "We're the Sweeney and we haven't had our dinner" >punch<) and for the first time on a UK Police show the cops aren't always 'angels'.
    At the time it got a lot of criticism for it's violence and depiction of the police which is ironic as the Met was mired in several corruption scandals and the 70s were violent times.

At the end of the day though you know Regan and Carter are 'good guys and will do what is right and required even if it isn't expected (OK so it sounds like a cliche now but it wasn't at the time)
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

The Sweeney reminded me a little of the movie The French Connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    There's a 'fourth season', btw, made up of two miniseries. The first (Daemon Rising) is especially good.
    Yes, I have the DVD, though unfortunately it's the one where they got mixed up on playback speed so the voices have the wrong pitch. There's apparently one with corrected sound from the company that did season 1 and 2, but I've read that the picture doesn't look as good as on the original DVD.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, I have the DVD, though unfortunately it's the one where they got mixed up on playback speed so the voices have the wrong pitch. There's apparently one with corrected sound from the company that did season 1 and 2, but I've read that the picture doesn't look as good as on the original DVD.
    Oh, is that why Dot sounds kinda wrong in that? The others don't sound quite as wrong, but it really shows with Dot. I never knew.

Oh, is that why Dot sounds kinda wrong in that? The others don't sound quite as wrong, but it really shows with Dot. I never knew.
    Yes, the original company did eventually fix the disk, but that version was never in wide circulation, and I only have the "deep voice" version (and the problem is especially noticeable if you try watching immediately after watching season three episodes). Here's the Wikipedia note on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot

Anchor Bay Entertainment released the fourth season in its original form as two films (Daemon Rising and My Two Bobs) on one DVD entitled "ReBoot v4.0" which went out of print in early 2007. It was improperly mastered as the 25 frame/s source material was treated as 24 frame/s film speed material, meaning 3:2 pulldown flags were encoded into the MPEG stream, which resulted in the video playing back 4.096% slower and all the voices sounding deeper.

As I recall, it had to do with PAL versus NTSC framerate differences.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2013-Mar-06 at 08:08 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Typically the problem has happened when going the other way, i.e. from 24fps film standard original to 50fps interlaced PAL, where the el cheapo solution was to simply speed it up ~4%, it's actually a very common problem with watching American series in Europe when the TV stations don't have the time or equipment to do a proper conversion before showing the program.
    In the case of going from 24 to 60i, a 2:3 (or 3:2) telecine is the usual method of doing it, but apparently in this case the people doing the conversion missed that the source was 25fps.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    It was improperly mastered as the 25 frame/s source material was treated as 24 frame/s film speed material, meaning 3:2 pulldown flags were encoded into the MPEG stream, which resulted in the video playing back 4.096% slower and all the voices sounding deeper.
    That ought to be correctable with a player tweak, if the player is good enough. I wonder if there's some obscure VLC setting for that.

That ought to be correctable with a player tweak, if the player is good enough. I wonder if there's some obscure VLC setting for that.
    There is supposed to be - there's a playback speed option apparently. (I looked it up last night, but I haven't had a chance to test it). I'll probably test it tonight.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Brilliant episode of Murder She Wrote tonight
    'The Days Dwindle Down'
    Not special at first glance. A man convicted of murder 30 years previously gets out of jail. He didn't do it so Jessica sets about finding out who did. Standard MSW fare.
    What makes it good is they used a 1949 Detective film 'Strange Bargain' for the flashbacks using the original cast re-playing their characters in the present day.
    Harry Morgan is in it so you know it's worth watching.
    All Moderation in Purple

I don't know; wasn't he on AfterM*A*S*H?

Season four of Numb3rs. The next episode on the disc will be the one with Wil Wheaton, Joe Morton, and Christopher Lloyd!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I don't think we got Numbers over here, sounds like a good guest list though.

We certainly didn't get AfterMASH! although if it was anything like the terrible MASH 'Novelizations' of the characters post-war adventures it can't have been good.
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I don't know; wasn't he on AfterM*A*S*H?

Season four of Numb3rs. The next episode on the disc will be the one with Wil Wheaton, Joe Morton, and Christopher Lloyd!
    I love Numb3rs, I'm watching Season 5 for the second time now. I don't remember that episode, I'll have to check it out again.

Season 4, episode 9. "Graphic." There's a little character background in the episode, but as much having to do with Taxi!

As to AfterM*A*S*H, well, it was terrible. But it's worth noting that it had basically nothing to do with the books, which weren't novelizations. They were sequels to the original novel, written by a former MASH doctor who hated the TV show. The sequence is novel--movie--TV show. One of the later novels actually had a surly response to the development of Hawkeye on the show, which the author hated. He actually has Hawkeye go to a college campus to beat up protesters or some such; if that's what Hawkeye is supposed to be like, I'll stick to Alan Alda.

"You can't erase icing."

Watched Cloud Atlas yesterday. I really liked it. I've read books with a similar concept before, but I liked the stories and how they were woven together. And that was quite an impressive cast, too.

Pandora's Box, which I thought was lost. Either I was wrong, or they found it again; anyway, there's a Criterion release. They let you pick your own score, and it seems none of them are original. Possibly no one actually wrote a score for it and they just used pre-existing music at the time.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I don't think we got Numbers over here, sounds like a good guest list though.

We certainly didn't get AfterMASH! although if it was anything like the terrible MASH 'Novelizations' of the characters post-war adventures it can't have been good.
    After MASH came NASH National Astronautics Space Hospital

Slings & Arrows again, season one. The AV Club has been reviewing it lately, and I figure I should catch up. They're up to midway through season two, but I'm going to start from the beginning for the sheer joy of it. Besides, why would I miss the duel?

"You can't erase icing."

Appleseed Ex Machina, I thought it was pretty good, the CGI was interesting, and the story wasn't too bad. I don't watch much Anime but I liked this.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Appleseed Ex Machina, I thought it was pretty good, the CGI was interesting, and the story wasn't too bad. I don't watch much Anime but I liked this.
    I have a copy of the original Appleseed some place... on beta. I don't know why, because I think Beta was long dead by the time Appleseed came out. I think this was one of my friends attempts to make backups or bootlegs using only the equipment he found at garage sales. Yeah, I have some strange friends.
    Solfe

Slings & Arrows again, season one. The AV Club has been reviewing it lately, and I figure I should catch up. They're up to midway through season two, but I'm going to start from the beginning for the sheer joy of it. Besides, why would I miss the duel?
    Wonderful series! Watched it a couple of years ago.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I think it wobbles a bit in season three, but I love it anyway. I love the sequence wherein Geoffrey ably convinces Darren Nichols that Geoffrey's mental health is considerably less stable than it is. It helps that Darren Nichols never pays attention to anything but himself.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have a copy of the original Appleseed some place... on beta. I don't know why, because I think Beta was long dead by the time Appleseed came out. I think this was one of my friends attempts to make backups or bootlegs using only the equipment he found at garage sales. Yeah, I have some strange friends.

Slings and Arrows Season One after reading Gillian's posts about it, great show. I love some of the off the wall stuff in other shows like Kids In the Hall and Due South so this is a real treat.

Due South is probably one of my favourite TV shows of all time. I will watch anything with Paul Gross in it once. Fortunately, he's done a lot more good stuff than bad.

Let Me In, which I'm hesitant about but giving a chance after getting several recommendations.

"You can't erase icing."

Due South is probably one of my favourite TV shows of all time. I will watch anything with Paul Gross in it once. Fortunately, he's done a lot more good stuff than bad.
    I have family and have lived on both sides of the border so I got a big kick out of Due South, it makes fun of both cultures without being mean.

I used to live in Port Angeles, and at the time, it was cheap and easy to go to Victoria. We also got Canadian TV and radio. I'm not quite as familiar with Canadian culture as you, I'm sure, but I got a fair amount of it.

"You can't erase icing."

It's pretty close to American with a few odd twists I think, we do seem to produce some good comedians. And of course we think hockey really belongs to us.

Kinvig!! I got a DVD of the old early 80s Sci-Fi comedy from ITV.

Whenever we (meaning me and Mrs Swoop) see Tony Haygarth in anything we always forget all the episodes of 'Rosie' he was in playing PC Wilmot and say 'It's Kinvig'
    It only ran for 7 episodes but it was good stuff.

Mind, it had Prunella Gee in it wearing scanty 'Princess of Mercury' costumes so that was a plus to a teenage Sci-Fi fan
    All Moderation in Purple