Page 132 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 4113

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    We watched "I Know Where I'm Going" (1945) a slightly metaphysical Powell & Pressburger romance starring Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey. It is a thoroughly charming film with some great, atmospheric, B & W location footage of the inner Hebrides in Scotland. Most of the outdoor scenes were filmed on the island of Mull and of the whirlpool in the Gulf of Corryvreckan. I am pretty sure Grant Hutchison would have walked over some of the hills shown in this film.
    Ben More, certainly. And probably some of the mainland stuff visible in the background from scenes filmed on the east coast of Mull--I'd need to watch again to be sure.
    We know a number of the locations fairly well--we stayed at Carsaig Bay for a few days, many years ago, in a strange little hotel that's now no longer in business. The owner pretty much insisted we visit the local telephone box beside the waterfall, which features in the film. And we also spent a couple of nights in the Western Isles Hotel above Tobermory, which in those days was in a somewhat rattletrap state, but which seems to have now been renovated.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ben More, certainly. And probably some of the mainland stuff visible in the background from scenes filmed on the east coast of Mull--I'd need to watch again to be sure.
    We know a number of the locations fairly well--we stayed at Carsaig Bay for a few days, many years ago, in a strange little hotel that's now no longer in business. The owner pretty much insisted we visit the local telephone box beside the waterfall, which features in the film. And we also spent a couple of nights in the Western Isles Hotel above Tobermory, which in those days was in a somewhat rattletrap state, but which seems to have now been renovated.

Grant Hutchison
    I thought that I would have been on pretty firm ground in suggesting that you would have been familiar with some of the spots shown in the movie. The scenery must be pretty spectacular in real life but the high quality Black and White cinematography in the movie lends a bit of a mythic feel to it.

Unfortunately, most times I've seen a location I'm familiar with in TV or film, they do something awful with it. Although An Officer and a Gentleman was filmed here in Port Townsend and I rather enjoyed that aspect of it. There's a scene in which they get in a fight with townies and then drive off. They are driving the wrong way on the exit from the ferry dock*. You can actually see the arrows on the roadway.

*The old ferry dock. A newer one's been built since then in a different location.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

This could go in things that annoy me and stuff you don't get thread but Dr. Oz as a host of Jeopardy. Hopefully he won't try to push some of his woowoo stuff.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Here i a video about astronomy en Francais, je comprend tres tres petit peu. It starts off in my province at the Hopewell rocks and in the middle it is at st mary's university's Burke Gaffney observatory where I spent a little time.
    Comme dans l'espace | Saison 1 …pisode 3 | UnisTV (tv5unis.ca)
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We just finished the limited "docuseries" Daughters of Destiny, about the Shanti Bhavan school in India. It's always interesting to me when narcissism and philanthropy align. The show specifically follows several girls/young women through parts of their schooling over the course of several years, and then a few of the graduates as they try to integrate into mainstream India, while upholding their commitments to the school's mission. What is happening with the project, according to the series, is on the cusp of revolutionary.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I started watching The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Somehow I ended up down the rabbit hole and ended up binge watching the second season of Altered Carbon. I really like Anthony Mackie.
    Solfe

We've just started watching Peaky Blinders on Netflix, a show that debuted in 2013 but so far has only aired 36 episodes. We're enjoying the story but are struggling to understand about half of the dialog; I'm about ready to turn on closed captioning. I thought my ear was pretty good with discerning the various and thicker UK accents but...oh my, this show is tough.

I also understand from IMDB that some critics say the accents are not authentic for Birmingham in 1919. I realize that accents drift with time but most in the show do sound roughly Midlands-ish (I spent a number of months in Birmingham on a project).

Formula One practice from the DVR tomorrow morning, while I pedal the Cubii!

Started The Falcon and the Winter Soldier with Graham last night. In the last few years, we've seen Marvel movies around our anniversary; that couldn't happen this year. But we did get to watch something Marvel, and Sebastian Stan was extremely good in this. Yeah, I predicted the major plot development--I'm pretty sure I was supposed to. But there was some great facial acting there.

With the kids, we've been watching Waffles and Mochi on Netflix. It's a food show for kids, where two puppets who are from "the land of frozen food" are learning about various ingredients. They've been hired to work at a supermarket run by . . . the producer.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Snowpiercer. I just. No.

What?

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

We watched the first Formula One race of the year yesterday. It was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We watched the first Formula One race of the year yesterday. It was excellent!
    Is that the one where one driver (Mazepin?) crashed on the first lap?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Tracking down old Wonderful World of Disney episodes on YouTube that are unavailable on Disney+.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Archive. Some odd acting from the supporting roles (with the exception of the ever-reliable Toby Jones), but a good pay-off on a building sense of dislocation and unease as the story progresses. Out of respect for the spoiler sensibilities of others, I'll say no more than it reminded me in many ways of one of my favourite movies, Stay.

Grant Hutchison
    I though the "odd acting" did a great job in setting the atmosphere of the film. It was VERY methodically paced, though. That was one of the longest hour-and-50-minutes I have spent. The ending was maybe not as satisfying as you might think, and it's later than I realized that, hey so no breakthroughs then. I can't say much more yet due to those "spoiler sensibilities", but damn his parenting skills would have been LACKING. I like it though; thumbs up from me.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    It was VERY methodically paced, though. That was one of the longest hour-and-50-minutes I have spent.
    The pacing was perfect, for me. I like movies in which I watch and listen to people, and have time to think about what they're doing and why they're doing it.
    I much prefer that to movies that say, "Here's some loud music and special effects we're particularly proud of. We'll be back in ten minutes with another tiny nugget of story."

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Just watched netflix documentary “Seaspiracy” about the devastating state of over fishing, the corruption, the obvious destination so soon, and the hopelessness of consumer action. In relation to GW, sea life is by far the biggest carbon sink, but actually eliminating fish is a crisis more urgent than GW. I hope others will watch, but personally, I do not hold much hope for the fish , crustaceans and mammals of the oceans.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The pacing was perfect, for me. I like movies in which I watch and listen to people, and have time to think about what they're doing and why they're doing it.
    I much prefer that to movies that say, "Here's some loud music and special effects we're particularly proud of. We'll be back in ten minutes with another tiny nugget of story."

Grant Hutchison
    I agree with you, and I'm glad the pace worked so well with you. It isn't even that I didn't enjoy the seeming longness of it, but it was very much on the front of my mind. And surely there is a lot of "gray" opportunity between "VERY methodically paced" and "Here's some loud music and special effects we're particularly proud of. We'll be back in ten minutes with another tiny nugget of story."

I've been watching a lot of "restoration" videos on YouTube. Several channels exist in which there's a (nearly always) faceless pair of hands, no dialog, and sped-up segments (for repetitive sanding or screw removal). I am wondering if they all copied some first of its genre channel or that the format and methodology naturally evolve.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

And surely there is a lot of "gray" opportunity between "VERY methodically paced" and "Here's some loud music and special effects we're particularly proud of. We'll be back in ten minutes with another tiny nugget of story."
    Sure is. I didn't mean to imply otherwise--just flagging the other end of the spectrum, which seems to be very popular but bores me to tears.

Grant Hutchison

Snowpiercer. I just. No.

What?

CJSF
    Yeah, that has my vote for dumbest post-apocalyptic premise ever.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Yeah, that has my vote for dumbest post-apocalyptic premise ever.
    It's a French science-fiction graphic novel--pretty much by definition, it's not going to make the slightest sense. (Looking at you, Barbarella.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Is that the one where one driver (Mazepin?) crashed on the first lap?
    Yup, 3rd corner. That just made the race better, since he doesn't belong there, just has a rich father.

A couple of days ago I watched a 1944 'B' film starring the American Big Band Singer Martha Tilton - she was the vocalist on the famous Benny Goodman hit - "And the Angels Sing". The film was "Swing Hostess" a WW2 'quickie' made by one of the "poverty row" studios - Producers Releasing Corporation. They apparently made Monogram Pictures seem like a major prestige studio.

Anyway, while the film was actually better than I expected and Tilton had a nice on-screen presence what fascinated me about the film was a bit of technology that I had never heard of before and had to research to be convinced that it actually existed.

While waiting to be 'discovered' Tilton was shown as working as an "Automatic Hostess". How this worked was that a bar would have a big machine that looked like a jukebox but had no records. You spoke into the attached microphone and when it was answered you asked for a particular record. If they had it you deposited a coin, a quarter perhaps, and it was played to you over the phone line via the speakers in the 'jukebox'. Apparently they used slightly better bandwidth lines than normal and the reproduction was ok. I guess the advantage was that they could have a huge number of records available for selection. This device seems to have been used in some parts of the USA in the 1940's. This little bit of technological history really intrigued me.

This piece about the history of Manitowoc Tavern's shows the operation pretty much exactly as it was depicted in the film - except they didn't have a list of records. As an aside I know now that a place called Manitowoc actually exists.

https://manitowoctavernhistory.org/t...-music-studio/

Interesting! Iím often surprised how folks often managed to do something we think of as modern, but with earlier technology. (I donít do it too often, but I sometimes ask for a song on my Echo dot.) Of course, what with the employees and a large room with multiple turntables, and having to run all the audio lines, I expect that was pretty expensive even for those days, so must have needed plenty willing to pay for it, which is probably why they didnít last too long. Still, very nice find.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I just started watching Invincible on Amazon Prime. They released three episodes last Friday, and a single episode each Friday after that. I just realized it’s Friday - I haven’t watched the current episode yet.

It’s animated, but there is a warning it’s intended for 18+ for violence. That concerned me because The Boys was just a bit too much for me to enjoy (I’ve watched part of it, and sometimes I think of trying another episode, but I always find something else to do).

But anyway I tried this. A short intro - I’ll avoid spoilers, just sticking to things you can find in regular reviews or Amazon’s preview:

It starts out at the White House when a couple of superpowered villains start attacking and soon a team appears that are (mostly) extremely obvious Justice League expies. For instance Dark Wing is a slightly altered Batman, War Woman is Wonder Woman, there is a speedster, a Martian . . . You get the idea. Even the music made me think of the animated Justice League series. Don’t worry, though, this isn’t a Justice League series clone (it would probably be sued if it was) but there are other things that will likely remind you of other series. I found the references amusing.

There was more violence than I’d expect on a Justice League show or for most superhero movies for that matter. People got messily killed, for instance.

Then it moves into the main story. One character is a Superman expy, from another planet and all that, though with a very different background and not quite as tough, and he has a half human son. The son is the main character and he is just coming into his powers.

I won’t say much more because it would be hard to avoid spoilers. I will say just this: there is a dark and violent turn in the story, but so far it’s within what I consider acceptable violence, unlike The Boys and Utopia.. I’m liking it so far, and more than most big budget superhero movies (they do things that just bore me).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm watching the old live action Disney Robin Hood from the '50s. I'm now wondering if any other studio's versions of the story so consistently mention Eleanor of Aquitaine, who's a character here.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just started watching Invincible on Amazon Prime. ...
    There was more violence than I’d expect on a Justice League show or for most superhero movies for that matter. People got messily killed, for instance. ...
    I watched the first episode and was somewhat shocked by the twist at the end.

The show is based on a graphic novel series created by Robert Kirkman, who also created The Walking Dead graphic and the TV series, so the level of messy violence shouldn't be surprising.

Side note, the main character (the son) is voiced by Steven Yuen, who played Glenn on TWD.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm watching the old live action Disney Robin Hood from the '50s. I'm now wondering if any other studio's versions of the story so consistently mention Eleanor of Aquitaine, who's a character here.
    Well I posted a big paragraph discussing the UK TV series " The Adventures of Robin Hood" and saying that I wasn't aware of any 1950's Disney effort. And then I read your article in "The Solute" and it proved, once again, that 'I don't know nuthin'.

But at least I can say that Eleanor of Aquitaine was not only mentioned in that UK TV series but appeared as a character in 2 episodes. She was played by the first wife of Laurence Olivier
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Apr-03 at 08:42 AM.

Good to know! That's one of the versions I haven't seen, and IMDb doesn't let you search by character anymore.

"You can't erase icing."

"Alien Resident" (SciFi channel) has ended it's first season and has been renewed for a 2nd. It's a wacky, silly, funny, and interesting show. It grew on me.