Page 117 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 3612

Thread: What are you watching?

Bell has also presented a show about old battlefields, which is good. His railway walks are incredibly frustrating to me, since I have the accompanying book and want to follow them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    And of course the Norman Wisdom films at that time were popular.
    Not really a fan of Norman Wisdom, except for one film On The Beat, which is remarkable.
    Especially the police chase.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGu5c8FH3Xo

Legend from 1985. Tim Curry as Satan, or close enough not to matter.
    Solfe

Oh, Mr Porter is better than The Ghost Train, although it is based on the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Do you have access to a series called Walking Britain's Lost Railways, presented by a guy called Rob Bell? His background is in engineering, he's very enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and he keeps meeting up with rail enthusiasts who have restored old trains and railway infrastructure. It's a good watch, if you're into that sort of thing. (Bell has also done various other series, about bridges and ships.)

Grant Hutchison
    This was shown in Australia last year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The 'Bridge' show is being repeated here at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Legend from 1985. Tim Curry as Satan, or close enough not to matter.
    My daughter sat quietly through the whole film, then commented: "This film had as much plot as a pants".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pants.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	25184

15 year olds.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Oh, Mr Porter is better than The Ghost Train, although it is based on the same story.
    I have seen one of them but can't rember which one it was.

Oh Mr Porter is the one with Will Hay;
    an amateur astronomer who observed the Great White Spot on Saturn, if you like trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Oh Mr Porter is the one with Will Hay;
    an amateur astronomer who observed the Great White Spot on Saturn, if you like trivia.
    I still can't really remember which one it was I saw, though the presence of Graham Moffat makes me think it was the Will Hay version . But anyway, Oh Mr Porter will now be the next film in my 'transport' viewing. I had a look at Will Hay's biography and see that he really did take astronomy pretty seriously and was actually a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.

And talking of trivia, as I am pretty sure you are aware, the author of the play the films were based on was Arnold Ridley of Dad's Army fame.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2020-Apr-29 at 01:55 PM.

Ozark, with Jason Bateman and Laura Linney on Netflix. Geeze, this is dark, not an ounce of joy anywhere in the show so far. We're most of the way through Season 1 and I'm not sure I can watch 24 more episodes of this. It's certainly fascinating, but...wow.

A financial advisor drags his family from Chicago to the Missouri Ozarks, where he must launder money to appease a drug boss.

Nadiya from The Great British Bake-Off has a cooking show on Netflix.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I watched Upload on Amazon. Ten episodes for the season, all available now. First up, if you decide to watch it, be warned, as of the last episode of the season, there is a major plot point left unresolved. That was disappointing and if I had known they would just quit in mid story I would have waited for the second season before watching.

Anyway, this is a near future (too near for the technology shown) story where peopleís minds can be uploaded to computer. It has some comedic elements, though comedy didnít seem to be the primary focus. There is also a mystery that starts developing in the first episode, and that is involved in the unresolved plot point I found annoying (I could easily see leaving some aspects unresolved for a second season, but I would expect at least some closure) and a love triangle/developing love interest aspect.

There are some interesting ideas in the show, though most of it wonít be new to anyone that has read some upload based science fiction stories. The show kept my interest, but I wouldnít have called it great even before watching the last episode just stop. So I wouldnít give it high praise, but it still was better than most of the science fiction shows I see (with a lot of SF shows these days, especially on streaming services, I manage one or two episodes before I give up).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Ozark, with Jason Bateman and Laura Linney on Netflix. Geeze, this is dark, not an ounce of joy anywhere in the show so far. We're most of the way through Season 1 and I'm not sure I can watch 24 more episodes of this. It's certainly fascinating, but...wow.
    Same here (just about to the end of the first season), and agree on the fact that it seems pretty dark.

Also, do the writers not understand how money laundering works, or do I not understand how money laundering works? I don't get, for example, how you would launder money by claiming you spent more on carpeting than you actually spent.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Same here (just about to the end of the first season), and agree on the fact that it seems pretty dark.

Also, do the writers not understand how money laundering works, or do I not understand how money laundering works? I don't get, for example, how you would launder money by claiming you spent more on carpeting than you actually spent.
    Because that "extra" money is the illegal cash that needs to be cleaned. Now you can move that money to other places or withdraw it from accounts and it's hard to trace it back to the illegal activity. You have to carefully conceal it via bookkeeping, but once that money is in the legal monetary system, it's very hard to trace. Especially if you move it one or more times after the initial deposit.

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Because that "extra" money is the illegal cash that needs to be cleaned.
    But in the scenario given, it seems to be imaginary cash--the person claiming to have spent it doesn't have it, and the carpet seller doesn't have it.
    Laundering money by buying carpets is certainly a thing--you convert dodgy offshore money into a physical object that can be resold locally. And one could realize cash in that transaction by deliberately overpaying in dodgy offshore funds, and then obtaining a refund against a local bank. Or one could act in collusion with a money launderer, claiming a "refund" from them on a non-existence expense.

Grant Hutchison

But in the scenario given, it seems to be imaginary cash--the person claiming to have spent it doesn't have it, and the carpet seller doesn't have it.
    Laundering money by buying carpets is certainly a thing--you convert dodgy offshore money into a physical object that can be resold locally. And one could realize cash in that transaction by deliberately overpaying in dodgy offshore funds, and then obtaining a refund against a local bank. Or one could act in collusion with a money launderer, claiming a "refund" from them on a non-existence expense.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes of course. I haven't seen the show at all and I assumed that it meant a portion of the receipts for the carpets was for the carpets and the rest was the dirty money. But if it's as you describe it does not makes sense.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Yes of course. I haven't seen the show at all and I assumed that it meant a portion of the receipts for the carpets was for the carpets and the rest was the dirty money. But if it's as you describe it does not makes sense.
    I'm only judging from what SeanF wrote, which seems to suggest the claimed expense never happened. (Life's too short for either Netflix or grindingly dark TV, as far as I'm concerned.)
    If the overpayment is real, then another possibility is that the intermediary who makes the overpayment is actually passing laundered money from their business on to their employers. Some service or goods need to be provided to explain the transaction, but the final recipients of the laundered money provide only shoddy goods or minimal services, and therefore retains most of the funds transferred.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-May-04 at 04:50 PM.

Interesting side note--I haven't seen the show either--is that I saw an article from the LA Times the other day about how money laundering is more difficult right now, given how many of their usual methods are unavailable.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Well, let me clarify what happened in the show.

The main character was given a large amount of cash by a drug dealer - the cash was dirty, and the main character's job is to clean it.

He then proceeded to become an "investor" in local businesses - one specific example was a resort, which he proceeded to remodel. He actually did purchase carpet, but he faked the records so it looked like he bought more carpet than he actually did (and looked like he spent more per square foot than he actually spent).

This somehow resulted in him having "clean" money, which he then transferred into the drug dealer's account.

At least that's my understanding of what was happening, and it makes no sense to me.

As a counter point, "Breaking Bad" seemed to get it right. When Walter White first started selling meth and had "dirty cash" that needed to be cleaned, he bought a car wash. They would then routinely ring up car washes and put drug cash in the register when there was no actual customer. The cash could then be deposited in the bank along with the rest of the business's income, and it would look like it was car wash income instead of drug income, and would thus be "clean".

Pretending to sell something you didn't actually sell makes sense for laundering money. Pretending to buy something you didn't actually buy, as in "Ozark", doesn't.

I don't know if this helps. It seems to imply that my final option was the correct one--that the character actually paid money for carpet he didn't receive, to a company owned by the drug cartel he is laundering money for. So he inflates his income for the lodge he owns (absorbing the drug cartel's dirty money into his accounts) and then transfers this cleaned money back to the cartel by buying largely non-existent goods and services from shell companies owned by the cartel.

Grant Hutchison

I don't know if this helps. It seems to imply that my final option was the correct one--that the character actually paid money for carpet he didn't receive, to a company owned by the drug cartel he is laundering money for. So he inflates his income for the lodge he owns (absorbing the drug cartel's dirty money into his accounts) and then transfers this cleaned money back to the cartel by buying largely non-existent goods and services from shell companies owned by the cartel.

Grant Hutchison
    That could be, but that was certainly not made clear in the show. They never talked about the need, when finding businesses to "invest" in, to make sure they would have the appropriate needs. In fact, in the last episode we watched, his wife makes the decision to purchase (or "invest in") a struggling funeral home, without even discussing it with the main character beforehand.

At least it kind of makes sense, though...and he didn't need to inflate the businesses' income, as he was using his own money in the investments (his business partner was responsible for the cartel losing some money - this first season was basically him giving his own money to the cartel to make them whole, and he was only "laundering" it to demonstrate that he could and was worth keeping alive).

The funeral home is a terrible business for laundering cash. Itís a regulated industry that rarely deals in cash, given the costs of funerals. The other business make more sense because they have lots of cash transactions. And for the remodeling scam, I have to assume the goods being bought are fake but owned by the cartel. The show just never said. Same for the church that was never going to get built.

Just finished the fourth and final season of Mr Robot. I must say I've hugely enjoyed it--plot, acting, cinematography. The last few episodes rocketed completely off-book, in a way that reminded me of the last two episodes of The Prisoner. I'm not completely convinced that the resolution to all that worked consistently with what has gone before, but it was still both fun and moving.

Grant Hutchison

We just started Living With Yourself, starring Aisling Bea and Paul Rudd. The first episode was really good for a series' first premiere. Usually there are more obvious things to work out, but this was pretty good. I really like Paul Rudd's work as an actor (I still believe the Ant-Man movies and appearances are the best of the Marvel Cinematic Universe). My wife "found" the series because she was checking out Aisling Bea's comedy routines and saw reference to it. We only recently became aware of her through Taskmaster, a few seasons back.

CJSF

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett

lonelybirder.org

She's on QI several times, and she did a charity episode of The Great British Bake-Off.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm watching The Arrow on Netflix. Not sure why I like this show so much, but it is fun. The Green Arrow is a superhero. At some point, he swears off killing people but his main weapon is a bow and arrow. He shoots people in the upper chest, which is somehow not fatal. Ok, I'll just buy into that one.

But he gets in fights with dozens of people. Shouldn't hospitals be ticked off that he sending dozens and dozens of no-name villains to the ER? The police seem surprised when they find out he had something to do with this event or that event. Apparently they don't notice the massive uptick in people appearing at local hospitals. Or assuming these villains treat themselves, a massive uptick in disability insurance claims? Because you're not getting yourself up after an arrow to the chest.
    Solfe

All Rise, a "court room drama" that is very character-driven … and I like most of the characters.

The most recent episode was made during the pandemic. It was about holding a trial when you couldn't have everyone in the same room, everything was by video-conference. Fascinating concept very nicely executed.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I watched a virtual Formula 1 race yesterday on ESPN2. It's basically a bunch of guys racing in a video game. The graphics are amazingly good; and the top contenders were all current or former F1 drivers. What I didn't like was that they used a feature of the game to turn off damage, resulting in cars going nose first into the wall, spinning around, and continuing on.
    You can also get it on YouTube.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I watched a virtual Formula 1 race yesterday on ESPN2. It's basically a bunch of guys racing in a video game. The graphics are amazingly good; and the top contenders were all current or former F1 drivers. What I didn't like was that they used a feature of the game to turn off damage, resulting in cars going nose first into the wall, spinning around, and continuing on.
    You can also get it on YouTube.
    My son would either love that or hate it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    My son would either love that or hate it.
    Same here; I couldn't decide which. Alex Albon and Charles LeClerc passing and repassing each other for the lead at the same point every lap was kind of cool. But the wreckless nature of it really wasn't.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.