Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144
Results 4,291 to 4,306 of 4306

Thread: What are you watching?

We watched a pair of movies through Hulu over the past 2 nights: Proxima and 2067. Proxima is not a science or even science-fiction film. It's an emotional drama following the training and life-stresses of a French ESA astronaut and her family, as they train for the "final" ISS training mission before a future-scheduled crewed Mars mission. The movie seems to have a lot of access to ESA and Roscosmos facilities - or else some rather impressive set doubles. The mission itself is not part of the film.

I am not sure how to frame 2067 other than a not entirely terrible time-travel post-apocalyptic action drama that was a good way to pass the time. Surely not a blockbuster, but I enjoyed it well enough.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

[Just saw that the borky board software duplicated my above post so I'll add that we also watched ATROPA and I really liked it.. and that twist, while perhaps not rendered physically accurate .. HOLY MOOOoowwoah! o.O]

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2021-Sep-22 at 11:23 AM.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The Professor And The Madman. Well, that was odd. Liked the dictionary bits, disliked the rest.
    Mel Gibson's Scottish accent hasn't improved in the last 25 years--still the same parody of Glaswegian he used in Braveheart, and a long way from the sort of Borders accent James Murray would have had.
    I haven't seen it, but I read the book, and loved it. Of course, no bad Scottish accents in the book...
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    We watched a pair of movies through Hulu over the past 2 nights: Proxima and 2067. Proxima is not a science or even science-fiction film. It's an emotional drama following the training and life-stresses of a French ESA astronaut and her family, as they train for the "final" ISS training mission before a future-scheduled crewed Mars mission. The movie seems to have a lot of access to ESA and Roscosmos facilities - or else some rather impressive set doubles. The mission itself is not part of the film.
    I watched Proxima a while ago, and very much enjoyed it. I think I posted here at the time that it was a sort of antidote to Gravity.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

I am not sure how to frame 2067 other than a not entirely terrible time-travel post-apocalyptic action drama that was a good way to pass the time. Surely not a blockbuster, but I enjoyed it well enough.
    Speaking of post-apocalyptic, we've been watching "See" on Apple TV. I'm really enjoying it.

Although I have questioned a couple things - most recently when I asked my wife, about a particular character, "Who is she wearing makeup for? And how does she even have any?"
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I read the book, and loved it. Of course, no bad Scottish accents in the book...
    Entitled The Surgeon of Crowthorne in the UK edition, so it took me a while to register that the movie was based on Winchester's book. (I'm often amused and intrigued at the way publishers change the titles of non-fiction books to hook potential readership on either side of the Atlantic.) Yes, good book, and Murray has a flawless Hawick accent throughout.
    Not that I'm suggesting Mel Gibson should have attempted the full Hawick dialect, which is difficult to follow even for Scots, and Murray would have moderated his accent anyway, when he moved to England--so he'd maybe have ended up talking a bit like this fella.
    To what extent dialectic accuracy is worth pursuing is another matter, of course--it would be a lot of work that would be appreciated by a tiny part of the movie's audience, puzzling to a slightly larger proportion, and unnoticed by most. I remember David Tennant doing a good rendition of the characteristic Doric accent of northeast Scotland in Des, only to find himself hilariously accused of "not being able to do a Scottish accent".

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

In my opinion, they simply shouldn't have cast Mel Gibson. For several reasons.

I watched most of The Snake Pit while Sandy was in preschool, and that was a great movie that I didn't want her watching. I did have to finish it after picking her up.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I watched Proxima a while ago, and very much enjoyed it. I think I posted here at the time that it was a sort of antidote to Gravity.

Grant Hutchison
    That's right, you did. I liked it very much and recommend it, especially as counterbalance to some of the hyperactively amped up body count presentations. Yes, I'm looking at you Mandalorian (though I did enjoy the 2 seasons).

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    In my opinion, they simply shouldn't have cast Mel Gibson. For several reasons.
    It was largely his project, of course, so I guess the chances of him not casting himself were slight.

The film also reminded me that I often puzzle over how pieces of really faulty dialogue ever make it into movies. There's a scene in which Jennifer Ehle's nineteenth-century Scottish character says something like, "I hear you quit your job." Did no-one involved in the production ever look at that and think: That's pure American English. She needs to say, 'I understand you've resigned from your post.' But maybe these things are being corrected all the time, and I only ever get to hear the ones that slip through.
    A friend of mine once pointed out how often chess-boards are wrongly orientated when a chess game is depicted on-screen. As he pointed out, so many people are involved in setting up a scene, it'd be surprising if no-one involved had ever played chess to the rudimentary level required to remember "white on the right". For a while he kept a note of the orientation of chess boards when cinema or TV depicted serious chess matches, and it came out to be indistinguishable from a coin toss whether they were correctly orientated or not.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Coming back to The Mandalorian (I know, sorry). The Season 2 finale just emphasized the points I made earlier all the more, and now there's a whole new potential dimension to Grogu's fate. It's unclear to me if we're getting more The Mandalorian seasons or we're shifting to Boba Fett and Fennec (i s'pose it was inevitable that Fett was not dead, but really - Boba Fett as an anti-hero?). I'm always good to go for some Ming-Na Wen, though!

CJSF

P.S.
    The Mandalorian also seems to further indicate that The Force favors some species over others. Maybe this is well drawn out in the EU, but I barely know any of that, this show being my first significant foray into anything Star Wars outside the films.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I'm always good to go for some Ming-Na Wen, though!
    Same here.

She is about five years older than I am, which kind of bothers me, as she doesn't seem as old as I feel.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Same here.

She is about five years older than I am, which kind of bothers me, as she doesn't seem as old as I feel.
    To be fair, though she does seem to be in great shape and in good health, she does have the benefit of stunt training, camera work, stage (movie?) make-up, lighting, and other after-effects that you likely do not.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

To be fair, though she does seem to be in great shape and in good health, she does have the benefit of stunt training, camera work, stage (movie?) make-up, lighting, and other after-effects that you likely do not.

CJSF
    In my case it would have to be special effects and full-blown CGI from Lucasfilm studios.

I watched the movie American Traitor: The Trial of Axis Sally on Amazon Prime. It’s about the trial of an American woman that broadcast propaganda for the Nazis in WWII and after the war was put on trial for treason with death as a possible outcome. In the movie, Al Pacino plays the main defense lawyer. I didn’t know anything about this, it just never came up in history class or books I read or my parent’s comments (my father was a navigator on a bomber in the European theater).

The movie kept my interest, though I wouldn’t say it was particularly fast paced. I will warn that it got a terrible rating on Rotten Tomatoes (glad I waited to check after I watched it). I don’t agree with their rating. I thought it was worth watching, though I wouldn’t give it a super high rating.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I watched the movie American Traitor: The Trial of Axis Sally on Amazon Prime. It’s about the trial of an American woman that broadcast propaganda for the Nazis in WWII and after the war was put on trial for treason with death as a possible outcome. In the movie, Al Pacino plays the main defense lawyer. I didn’t know anything about this, it just never came up in history class or books I read or my parent’s comments (my father was a navigator on a bomber in the European theater).

The movie kept my interest, though I wouldn’t say it was particularly fast paced. I will warn that it got a terrible rating on Rotten Tomatoes (glad I waited to check after I watched it). I don’t agree with their rating. I thought it was worth watching, though I wouldn’t give it a super high rating.
    I'll look out for that. I know a bit about Tokyo Rose, Lord Haw-Haw and Gustav Siegfried Eins (in reality, the marvellous Sefton Delmer), but hadn't heard of Axis Sally.
    A terrible rating on Rotten Tomatoes simply enhances the appeal.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    ... The last is interesting since Majel Barrett played both Number One in the first pilot (and a woman in the first officer position was considered too much in the Ď60s) and Nurse Chapel in the main series. ...
    And Nurse Chapel in The Animated Series and a couple of movies, and the voice of the ship's computer, and Lwaxana Troi (in TNG and DS9). And, of course, she was married to Gene Roddenberry and was a force in the franchise after his death.

Otherwise she had little to do with ST.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board