Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141
Results 4,201 to 4,224 of 4224

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Amazon ad are terribly easy to find if you want them.
    Or even otherwise.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    He turns out to be . . . not the best person.
    I'm far more knowledgeable about yogurt than any actors. Come to think of it, I don't know much about yogurt either. He is probably not the best person.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I just watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime....
    As did I. Lately, I've inflicted some incredibly stupid shows and movies on my beleaguered brain and The Tomorrow War is no different. I like to think I have as much ability to suspend disbelief as the next person but in scenarios where the plot doesn't need to go Walking Dead level stupid, I've little patience anymore.

We've started Atypical, which we're generally liking. But it's a little weird in that several times now the protagonist has said that he has a problem with taking things too literally (and that's bourn out in the show), like most kids with autism. But then in some of the voice-over monologues, he makes very apt metaphors and similes relating people and their relationships to animals (he has a particular focus on penguins and Antarctica). They've done a very good job making me nearly 100% unsympathetic with the mom. Sure, I get the pressures (my brother is on the spectrum and I care of a loved one with mental illness - of which autism is not - on a daily basis), but she's self-centered, shallow, and ridiculous so far (mid-was season 1).

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Started on one of the later Gundam series. They mix hard science with fantasy tech ("Minowski [sic] particles") and somehow that leads to giant robots.

I can imagine it's not impossible that in microgravity and vacuum, you could make a combat vessel in any shape you please including cartoonishly elaborate humanoids, though why you'd do something so impractical is unclear. But then they show these Mobile Suit (mecha) fighting with no impairment in Earthlike conditions and even on Earth itself, and my suspension of disbelief goes whoosh!

Going back decades, Iíve tried to watch various Gundam series and never could get into them. I liked that they some had OíNeill Island 3 colonies but what they did with them didnít make sense. Also, Iíve never much been able to get into giant robot shows in general. Occasionally, Iíve liked one but typically it was because they did something interesting besides the giant robots.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Incidentally, that reminds me of a fairly recent anime series that I liked, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! It’s an anime show about making anime. It has three high school girls in a club, but they don’t look like typical young anime girls, in fact, the anime drawing style is different in general. They might as well be adults for as much as it matters to the show. There are occasional nods to their rather odd high school, but it becomes very clear that they are approaching making anime much like a company would, though sometimes the anime they make seeps into their world.

Anyway, one of the bits I liked is they were contracted to do a giant robot anime by a mecha club and there was a very serious and frank discussion about how implausible giant robots were if you looked at them from a real world standpoint. It was nice to see they realized it.

A very different style show and one of the few anime I really can recommend in recent years.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Going back decades, I’ve tried to watch various Gundam series and never could get into them. I liked that they some had O’Neill Island 3 colonies but what they did with them didn’t make sense. Also, I’ve never much been able to get into giant robot shows in general. Occasionally, I’ve liked one but typically it was because they did something interesting besides the giant robots.
    I don't know why I find that one tech element implausible in a series that's basically all about fantasy tech. But it trivially bugs me.

I have kinda gotten into the story itself, and I don't know why that is either.

Found myself missing "Z-Nation" so started watching "Black Summer". Could not help smashing it, both current 8 episode seasons very quick.

Its style is quite different to Z-Nation, which was a bit comic-book (not complaining); and like Lexx for example, could be a different style each week (comedy, horror, ...).

"Black Summer" is more just unrelenting apocalypse-is-here.

Interesting use of showing the same events from multiple points of view (e.g. different groups in a conflict); and story-lines (characters) that diverge and re-converge.

I had trouble sometimes following who was who, as new groups arrive without exposition, but that also seemed a deliberate choice in direction - some confusion in the viewer to highlight the problems of the characters. You also didn't get comfortable knowing who was a main character who would survive, and who would not.

As usual, characters can do dumb things at times, but overall the continuity and story arc was less fragmented than Z-Nation.

Having gobbled that up, have now started "Shadow and Bone". Not really sure I like it. Such a nice new World to put the same old story in! But will stick with it a while.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Yeah. Gave up on "Shadow and Bone".

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
    One of the very over-used things in this show (book?) is the whole girl writes letters to the boy and the boy writes letters to the girl, but for some reason (I suppose it'll be revealed one day) neither receives them, so they start to doubt.

(And I especially write "girl" and "boy" because after four or five episodes I have not heard their names clearly or often enough to remember them. Am I so old I need to turn on the subtitles?)

When the boy is killing himself (and his two best friends are now literally dead) to get to the girl, but meanwhile the inevitable starts to happen between her and the General ... bleh. I turned it off and went to work on my 6502 assembler.

Another annoying thing was how the two main plots streams were (A) the girl being trained to be the (oh gosh, she didn't know, and resisted) saviour, and (B) some criminal group who want to kidnap her for money.

That may be leading to some "surprise" thing like that group plus the girl working together or something. I can't be bothered. For now, stuff is happening but I didn't care for anyone.

And that criminal group? One moment acrobat-assassin-who-does-not-kill-girl wants to kill the "conductor" because he was a people trafficker, next he's a happy happy member of the group. Maybe this is the kind of thing that gets compressed out of sense in the book-to-programme conversion?

They did put a lot of effort into this.

11. 2021-Jul-19, 03:26 PM
    Reason
    dupe

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
    One of the very over-used things in this show (book?) is the whole girl writes letters to the boy and the boy writes letters to the girl, but for some reason (I suppose it'll be revealed one day) neither receives them, so they start to doubt.

(And I especially write "girl" and "boy" because after four or five episodes I have not heard their names clearly or often enough to remember them. Am I so old I need to turn on the subtitles?)

When the boy is killing himself (and his two best friends are now literally dead) to get to the girl, but meanwhile the inevitable starts to happen between her and the General ... bleh. I turned it off and went to work on my 6502 assembler.

Another annoying thing was how the two main plots streams were (A) the girl being trained to be the (oh gosh, she didn't know, and resisted) saviour, and (B) some criminal group who want to kidnap her for money.

That may be leading to some "surprise" thing like that group plus the girl working together or something. I can't be bothered. For now, stuff is happening but I didn't care for anyone.

And that criminal group? One moment acrobat-assassin-who-does-not-kill-girl wants to kill the "conductor" because he was a people trafficker, next he's a happy happy member of the group. Maybe this is the kind of thing that gets compressed out of sense in the book-to-programme conversion?

They did put a lot of effort into this.
    Yes, I had this issue too, though it does get a little better after that, though Alina ("girl") is still only 2nd to Bella Swan to unlikable cisfemale protagonists in my estimation (though the book-Bella was way worse than the screen-Bella... but then again, as much as I liked the story, the Twilight books were not well written, but that's an aside). It's still somewhat derivative/tropey, and you really do guess the broad outlines ahead of time. My spouse says the 2nd book (which I assume Season 2 will broadly be outlined from) has an even more unlikable Alina.

My other big beef is with the Crows enterprise. As I have said in these fora before, I just don't like anti-heroes very much in general. But worse still, they can't seem to stay true to themselves as characters, beyond any would-be redemption arc.

I'm likely going to skip further seasons, which is a shame, as it's a visually lovely show. As for the books, based on my spouse's reaction, I have moved them further down the "won't get to read anyway" list.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I was curious what you would think of that. I watched it through, but it made very little impression on me. When you mentioned the title earlier, I thought ďthat sounds familiar.Ē I had to google it before it clicked. Way too often Iíll watch some Netflix made show then wonder why I bothered. It wasnít cheaply made, but Iím not the proper demographic.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, by the way, maybe this discussion should be somewhere else, but what are you doing with a 6502 assembler? I have a fond place in my heart for the 6502, the first assembly language I learned, and made assembly class at the university an easy A (that was IBM 360/370, but it was easier than 6502).

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Another thing about Shadow and Bone had me thinking of some posts from about a month back (about "Ascension"). Just now had some time to go searching for them ...

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    ... I loved the idea of a secret (though in reality impossible) interstellar mission based on 60s technology and society. But it turned into another dark government conspiracy with no mission at all. I'm wiling to accept there could have been a good mini-series there, based on THAT plot, but it's not the show I was expecting. ...
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    ... They had ads and cut scenes of a big vessel flying through space. I felt like I'd been played for a chump.

The Netflix clips used to promote S&B were all about the start of the ship (?) journey across the fold from episode 1.

What I got from that, was that it was going to be a largely sea-based show, some sort of "pirates (adventuring?) in (that is, long term inside) the 'forbidden darkness'".

Then, what I saw was jarringly different to my expectation.

(I'll PM about the 6502)
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2021-Jul-20 at 09:03 AM.

Off topic, both Bender from Futurama, and the T-800 (Arnold Schwarzenegger) from The Terminator had a 6502 processor.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I watched versions of the same story starring Mary Pickford, Shirley Temple, and Fred Astaire. The Fred Astaire seems to have been closest to the original book, but I think the Pickford understood some of its themes best. The Shirley Temple was . . . definitely a motion picture.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Last night, I watched the Trollhunters movie. I liked everything but the ending; Graham liked the ending best. Notably, the children left the room, but that may be in part because we insisted they be quiet and not talk through the movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation. I like it, they're certainly not afraid to go dark! And it's not "dark and gritty" but a well done, sophisticated dark.

My only objection is the casting of Sarah Michelle Gellar. Her voice was appropriate for a teen cheerleader, but as the revamped Teela it's not suited at all. It draws me out of the story, and for a main character that is bad.

Tried Rain but within minutes I just hoped the family (especially the whiney kid who squirmed around in the "getaway car" and caused a huge pile-up, possibly condemning many people to death, without even getting clipped around the ears) would all get the virus, so stopped.

Started Umbrella Academy and quickly got hooked.

Weird how I didn't feel like watching a two hour movie, but after a 1 hour episode had to watch a second.

Interesting story. Well acted and paced. Kind of super hero stuff but not the usual thing. Family dynamics, without being soapy. A story I can follow (mostly) without it needing to dumb things down for me - making me think, without being tiring. "Action" without being gratuitous.

Tried Rain but within minutes I just hoped the family (especially the whiney kid who squirmed around in the "getaway car" and caused a huge pile-up, possibly condemning many people to death, without even getting clipped around the ears) would all get the virus, so stopped.

Started Umbrella Academy and quickly got hooked.

Weird how I didn't feel like watching a two hour movie, but after a 1 hour episode had to watch a second.

Interesting story. Well acted and paced. Kind of super hero stuff but not the usual thing. Family dynamics, without being soapy. A story I can follow (mostly) without it needing to dumb things down for me - making me think, without being tiring. "Action" without being gratuitous.
    I watch the show just for Robert Sheehanís performance. Canít wait for season two.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I watch the show just for Robert Sheehan’s performance. Can’t wait for season two.
    I was hating his character but:
    - not enough to put me off the show
    - when it clicked what his power is, it all made sense
    ... so that's good writing (and acting etc), to me.

I couldn’t get into Umbrella Academy and I tried a couple times, but then I’m approaching burnout on superhero shows, and ones where I don’t know the background or are deconstructions are harder for me. (I’ve pretty much hit burnout on zombie shows/movies). I liked the first season of Rain well enough, but not enough to continue when the second season came out.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Season four of Unforgotten. I had to re-watch the first two episodes last night before the third one came on because it can get a little confusing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Baby Face, from 1933, for an essay I wrote for today. It's a fascinating movie that basically no one has heard of now.

"You can't erase icing."