Page 135 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 4150

Thread: What are you watching?

Stowaway, on Netflix. Very decent space movie, even from a science perspective. The biggest criticism I have is the title: there isn't actually a stowaway as I believe the term is properly used.

Hulu has Nomadland and wants you to know it, so I watched that. Not my typical kind of movie, but I like the main actress (Frances McDormand). Iíd say the acting is good, the story though . . . It kept my interest enough that I watched it through, though there was a sadness in the movie that never really lets up. Not too deep, at least for me, but a running undercurrent. The entire movie is sort of a sad slice of life story. It has interesting aspects I suppose, Iím satisfied that I watched it once, but itís not something I want to watch again.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Stowaway, on Netflix. Very decent space movie, even from a science perspective. The biggest criticism I have is the title: there isn't actually a stowaway as I believe the term is properly used.
    Yeah, we watched this too, and ... I am disappointed. They never *really* explained how the "stowaway" got there. His explanation makes no sense whatsoever. It had a lot of other problems, but visually it was well done, and some of the accurate science depicted was nice to see.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Yeah, we watched this too, and ... I am disappointed. They never *really* explained how the "stowaway" got there. His explanation makes no sense whatsoever. It had a lot of other problems, but visually it was well done, and some of the accurate science depicted was nice to see.

CJSF
    FWIW Scott Manley was a script consultant on Stowaway and here's his commentary on the film. Some of his suggestions did not make it on-screen mostly because of budget constraints.

https://youtu.be/hic0mz3_U4c

ETA: The stowaway does say that he was on board rigging up some sort of second stage equipment and got knocked out. But no explanation of how his work took him into a part of the ship that had nothing to do with propulsion. It's a weaker premise than the windstorm in The Martian.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    FWIW Scott Manley was a script consultant on Stowaway and here's his commentary on the film. Some of his suggestions did not make it on-screen mostly because of budget constraints.

https://youtu.be/hic0mz3_U4c

ETA: The stowaway does say that he was on board rigging up some sort of second stage equipment and got knocked out. But no explanation of how his work took him into a part of the ship that had nothing to do with propulsion. It's a weaker premise than the windstorm in The Martian.
    Yes, I watched that, too. It was his mention of it in a video a few weeks ago that put it on my radar anyway..

And the problem with the stowaway's account is there's no way for him to fall into the space he was in unnoticed, unless someone deliberately noticed him and left him there and bolted the panel on top of him.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I might be less of a stickler for plausible premises than some of y'all. How the worker (but maybe I am for terminology - he's not a stowaway!) managed to get trapped is not that important to me. They obviously needed him to be in the crew compartment. There were other science and plausibility issues more glaring to me but overall, I thought it reasonably well done.

ETA: just watched Scott Manley's video on the movie. Quite interesting. I did see his name listed in the credits on IMDb or Netflix or somewhere.
    Last edited by geonuc; 2021-Apr-28 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Hulu has Nomadland and wants you to know it, so I watched that. Not my typical kind of movie, but I like the main actress (Frances McDormand). I’d say the acting is good, the story though . . . It kept my interest enough that I watched it through, though there was a sadness in the movie that never really lets up. Not too deep, at least for me, but a running undercurrent. The entire movie is sort of a sad slice of life story. It has interesting aspects I suppose, I’m satisfied that I watched it once, but it’s not something I want to watch again.
    I really want to watch it, but I have been using my energy in other ways lately. Maybe in September, I'll catch up.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm watching LA Story, one of my favourite movies but not one I'd watch around the kids because there's too much I'd have to explain.
    I really liked it too. I remember at the time it came out telling some friends that live in LA how much we liked it (one of the friends works in the entertainment industry) and they were very disparaging of the movie, saying "that's not how LA is at all". I thought that was kind of funny.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I really liked it too. I remember at the time it came out telling some friends that live in LA how much we liked it (one of the friends works in the entertainment industry) and they were very disparaging of the movie, saying "that's not how LA is at all". I thought that was kind of funny.
    And West Side Story does not accurately reflect life in the West Side!!!!!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And West Side Story does not accurately reflect life in the West Side!!!!!
    I'm pretty certain that you are making a joke, but my understanding is that West Side Story reflected a lot of actual gang and ethnic issues in the 1950s, though obviously the story itself is fiction. And gangs rarely broke out into song and dance routines.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I strongly disagree with your friends!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Latest Invincible: the graphic violence gets so much graphic-er.

I finished watching The Falcon and Winter Soldier. I really hated Bucky/The Winter Soldier in the films, but I actually like the character in this. If feel like the actor got a raw deal in the movies, there wasn't much to work with after the first Captain America movie. The Winter Soldier was a walking mess. He keeps expecting to get what he deserves and somehow avoids having anyone else unload on him. However, he has learned from his mistakes. It is unlikely that he will benefit from making amends, yet he tries. They nicely left out the part where that didn't work out which I felt was a good choice. The Winter Soldier operates in the shadows, you never know what is really happening in his head and the cutaway was used to good effect.

This series had a lot of flaws, all of which were tangents to the story. So, I ignored almost all of them so I was pleased with it. I really wasn't surprised by anything except the lack of a helmet on Captain America. I find it incongruous considering almost every character was a member of the military with no super powers before going on this adventure. Helmets... they save lives.

At least they didn't pull a John Diggle and slap random helmets on people. Diggle is a character on the Arrow TV show. His entire costume seems to be a random superhero helmet they slapped on him a couple of seasons in. Yes, protect the brain pan. No, do not let comic book writers design your helmet. You'll look like Magneto for "reasons".
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    No, do not let comic book writers design your helmet. You'll look like Magneto for "reasons".
    To show the face, of course! Can't have that money-maker covered up, how will the audience see the ACTING?? It's the same reason space helmets in visual media have lights inside, to show the face; also to tell suited characters apart. (Larry Niven has Belters in suits with custom paint jobs for that reason, a much more practical solution for identification. There's also a Heinlein story where colorful air masks in a Mars colony are a plot point.)

Also, yes, comic artists design for the comics medium. Live action just looks different.

Shadow and Bone has us intrigued enough to keep watching, though Alina is suddenly now 2nd only to Bella Swan in being a dislikable "goodie". I liked Inej up until she decided murder was great to save her criminal friend who had no problem maiming (and would likely have murdered) another person. I really don't like anti-heroes, I admit. But still, we watch.

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2021-May-01 at 01:18 PM.
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Smoke and Bone has us intrigued enough to keep watching, though Alina is suddenly now 2nd only to Bella Swan in being a dislikable "goodie". I liked Inej up until she decided murder was great to save her criminal friend who had no problem maiming (and would likely have murdered) another person. I really don't like anti-heroes, I admit. But still, we watch.
    "Shadow", not "Smoke". I can't disagree with the rest, but I've never watched or read any Twilight, so I have no comparison with Bella.

We're about six episodes in. At the very least, I find the setting interesting - 19th Century Russia rather than medieval Europe certainly makes for a different feel from your typical wizards-and-dragons fantasy story.

And I've always liked Zoe Wanamaker. I wish she had a bigger role.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    "Shadow", not "Smoke".
    D'oh! I knew it looked wrong. I'll claim 2nd vaccine shot fogginess for the error ;-)

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

Smoke and Bone is a barbecue restaurant, I believe.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I just watched David Attenborough “A life on this planet” I hope everybody has or will. The nice part is that he ends on a positive note with a plan. At 93 he is still making beautiful documentaries.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

After finally jumping on the Schitt's Creek bandwagon - finished it up yesterday - I'd rank the show as an all-time favorite. Absolutely phenomenal acting and writing.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    After finally jumping on the Schitt's Creek bandwagon - finished it up yesterday - I'd rank the show as an all-time favorite. Absolutely phenomenal acting and writing.
    During lockdown, The Boon Companion entertained herself by oc-CAS-ion-AL-ly IM-i-TAT-ing the elaborate accent Catherine O'Hara confected for her character Moira Rose. Now that we're out of lockdown, she's having to remember that other people she meets out there in the world may have no idea what effect she is a-TEMP-ting to a-CHI-I-eve.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    During lockdown, The Boon Companion entertained herself by oc-CAS-ion-AL-ly IM-i-TAT-ing the elaborate accent Catherine O'Hara confected for her character Moira Rose. Now that we're out of lockdown, she's having to remember that other people she meets out there in the world may have no idea what effect she is a-TEMP-ting to a-CHI-I-eve.

Grant Hutchison
    I can imagine how it might raise an eyebrow or two, particularly if she imitated the accent well.

This is more a case of what Iím not watching: Netflix has a show called ďJupiterís Legacy.Ē Itís another superhero show, but with characters Iíve never heard of. More important, after I finished the first episode, I was deeply confused and wondering what the heck I had just watched. Basically, youíre thrown into a world without context being provided. I watched a couple more episodes hoping it would get better, but it didnít really help. They split time between current day in their world and in the 1920s without explaining why. Eventually it starts becoming clear that the 1920s involve their origins, in what was then pretty much our world. I think it would have been better to start the show with origins and world background so viewers could get a handle on the story and not keep flipping back and forth like they did. Anyway, I was too confused to be able to get interested in the story and gave up on it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I seem to have gotten stuck watching British mystery shows on PBS. Last night was the premier episode of Vera and I recorded the third episode of Unforgotten. I also watched half an episode of Midsomer Murders during the week. The internet says it was a single episode but it got truncated with "to be continued". Wasn't that good. It was centered on archaeology and someone had been watching too much Time Team. Which I'm still watching on YouTube.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    This is more a case of what I’m not watching: Netflix has a show called “Jupiter’s Legacy.” It’s another superhero show, but with characters I’ve never heard of. More important, after I finished the first episode, I was deeply confused and wondering what the heck I had just watched. Basically, you’re thrown into a world without context being provided. I watched a couple more episodes hoping it would get better, but it didn’t really help. They split time between current day in their world and in the 1920s without explaining why. Eventually it starts becoming clear that the 1920s involve their origins, in what was then pretty much our world. I think it would have been better to start the show with origins and world background so viewers could get a handle on the story and not keep flipping back and forth like they did. Anyway, I was too confused to be able to get interested in the story and gave up on it.
    At some point there was a "what aren't you watching" thread, but I have been unable to locate it.

I've been watching a lot of Ask a Mortician on YouTube. It's . . . enjoyable?
    That sounds like something people would be dying to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    That sounds like something people would be dying to watch.
    As long as I'm not the guest star, I'm good.

I would genuinely love to be on her show. She seems like she would be a lot of fun to hang out with.

"You can't erase icing."

I would genuinely love to be on her show. She seems like she would be a lot of fun to hang out with.
    I'd prefer to be on the show, than the Guest Of Honor for a mortician!

I watched an 'old' film today that I was very surprised that I can't recall ever seeing before. It was "Down to Earth" - 1947 - starring Rita Hayworth and Larry Parks. It is a sort of sequel to the 1941 film "Here Comes Mr. Jordan". Only a couple of the people from the first film appeared in the second - most notably, Edward Everett Horton. The film had great colour cinematography but there were, unfortunately, a few problems with it. The story was tosh, but you expect that. Just as you expect the theatre 'stage' to be the size of a football stadium. But there were some other problems. As far as I can make out none of the four actors who 'sang' actually performed their own songs and some of the dubbed voices didn't seem quite right. The songs themselves were workmanlike but completely forgettable.

The biggest problem was what I felt was the misuse of Rita Hayworth. She was called on to 'sing' a lot of songs instead of doing a lot of dancing. Even worse, was that the choreographer of her dances had apparently never seem her dance. She was required to perform a lot of twisting, swirling almost balletic dances dances in a sort of sub Cyd Charise fashion. She performed them perfectly well but when you have an actress who can perform incredibly sultry/ sexy dances and who has super fast feet why would you waste her talents in this way?

For example anyone who can dance with Fred Astaire and look perfectly comfortable matching him step for step deserves to have her talents really highlighted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhhKELUxB0