Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4787959697
Results 2,881 to 2,908 of 2908

Thread: What are you watching?

After watching disc 1 of season 1 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Service, I have to wonder: was the original set of books that violent? The TV series are meant to be a continuation of the books, but there are some disturbing scenes, and disc 1 ended quite cruelly.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Anyone who came out of a Dungeons & Dragons background as I did could do far worse than watch "Disenchantment", which is hysterical and nearly perfect.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    After watching disc 1 of season 1 of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Service, I have to wonder: was the original set of books that violent? The TV series are meant to be a continuation of the books, but there are some disturbing scenes, and disc 1 ended quite cruelly.
    There is one fairly gruesome death in the original novel, and so far as I can remember that's it. An entire airport terminal is vaporized in the sequel, I believe, but not in any kind of gory way.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The Man Who Invented Christmas. The film is a rather fanciful biopic of how Charles Dickens brought us A Christmas Carol. It was an entertaining movie but I suspect mostly a lot of humbug when it comes to reality and how Dickens actually wrote.

The local Community TV station had a fun old movie on today. It was a 1946 'B' (being kind) film called "Swing Parade of 1946" produced by Monogram Pictures. It starred Gale Storm - born Josephine Cottle - and The Three Stooges, the Larry, Curly & Moe version. The plot was nearly non-existent and just served to mark time until either a musical number or a short comedy skit occurred. There were lots of entertainingly poorly choreographed dance sequences by a group of pretty girls who had just about enough talent to shake their (literal) feathers in time and not bump into each other, but not much more.

One highlight was the appearance of the great Louis Jordan - playing, singing and even dancing his big hit 'Caldonia'. All round a nice divertissement for a quiet afternoon - they don't make them like this any more and I understand why.

7 Days At Entebbe, an interesting take on the hostage-taking and Israeli counterterrorist operation of 1976. The climax is a postively hallucinatory intercutting of the assault on the old airport building, and a performance of Ohad Naharin modern dance Echad Mi Yodea.
    Then I've been wearing out this YouTube video of a different Echad Mi Yodea performance. If you have seven and a half minutes to spare, and don't know the work already, I urge you to take a look - it separated me explosively from my socks.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Just rewatched the end of the 11th Doctor, in preparation for number 13 coming up soon. Not going to bother watching any 12 except maybe The Husbands of River Song, because I'm a sucker for River.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Just rewatched the end of the 11th Doctor, in preparation for number 13 coming up soon. Not going to bother watching any 12 except maybe The Husbands of River Song, because I'm a sucker for River.
    I think I mentioned before that I've been working my way through all the old Doctor Who episodes, as I had never watched the series before Capaldi came on. I started watching the old ones about the same time as Capaldi started.

I just finished "The Angels Take Manhattan", Rory and Amy's swan song, so all I've got left unwatched is the dozen-or-so episodes with 11 and Clara.

I'm not sure if I'll get through them all before 13's episodes actually begin, but I'm hoping so.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Watching the last episode of Salvation I think it is...
    https://goo.gl/images/VjUoxT
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Saw Crazy Rich Asians with some friends last night. If my boyfriend had left me that unprepared for what a week with his family would mean--even, to be honest, with what it would mean in terms of clothing--I'd have to seriously contemplate whether I wanted to stay with him or not. Still, it's a charming enough movie.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Murphy Brown, I can't say more without probably breaking the politics rules.

Also found we are getting a free space preview for a month time to recharge on sci-fi.

What are you watching?

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Good performances, large plot holes. (But Sylva NC looked good. )

Also The Clock with the Walls In the House. Or the House with the Walls in a Clock. (No, wait that’s not it.)

Ah - The House With a Clock in its Walls. With Jack Black and Cate Blanchett. Light but rather silly. I think it struggled with trying to find a good tone for a younger audience and still appeal to adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2018-Oct-01 at 02:28 AM. Reason: corrected film title

Well into series 3 of the rebooted Doctor Who (we got a box set), and I am finding 2 things: 1)I like Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman) much better this time around and 2)Doctor Who could be/have been better on a whole other level if they got some basic astronomy and physics right!

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I liked Martha better when she returned in the Donna days and didn't spend all her time mooning over the Doctor.

Just six days until the new Doctor! I still haven't figured out what time it's on, BBC America's website confused the daylights out of me.

And this I can see the New Doctor because we got a preview of the station it is on.

I'm going to watch "The Time of the Doctor" this week. Since I watched "Deep Breath" and all subsequent episodes as they were released, this is the last "Doctor Who" episode I haven't seen (allowing for the missing episodes, of course).

Then I'll be all ready for 13 in a few days.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I'm going to watch "The Time of the Doctor" this week. Since I watched "Deep Breath" and all subsequent episodes as they were released, this is the last "Doctor Who" episode I haven't seen (allowing for the missing episodes, of course).

Then I'll be all ready for 13 in a few days.
    We did all of Eleven recently, although that one is not one of my favorites. We're skipping Twelve except for perhaps "The Husbands of River Song" because I'm a sucker for River; and the last episode with Capaldi.

My all time favorite episode is queued up for tomorrow, here.. Blink! I Heart Sally Sparrow!

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

We, meanwhile, watched the animated show Hilda on Netflix. It is ridiculously charming, and I need to seek out the graphic novels.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    My all time favorite episode is queued up for tomorrow, here.. Blink! I Heart Sally Sparrow!

CJSF
    Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...stuff.

Killing Eve. Well, just stopped watching after the fifth episode, actually. The Boon Companion will continue her avid viewing while I find tasks in other rooms.
    I don't find psychopathic murderers particularly funny, even when they pout and flounce, wear amusing clothes and say off-beat things to the people they are about to kill and mutilate. As my elder brother would say, "I just have a problem with the whole 'comedy' premise, here."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Discovered this morning that The Third Man is streaming on Netflix. Later, I will probably watch some of the historical documentaries they've got; it's a good selection.

"You can't erase icing."

We watched the current season's premiere of Blindspot.
    [SPOILERS BELOW]

The story from last season's cliffhanger jumps forward 3 months, and the writers eased us back into the notion that the heroine of the story thus far is now the villain. I don't really like this and depending on what the spoilers for the next few episodes are, I may not pick it back up. For some reason making Jane evil (again?) is a bridge too far for me. I really bought into the notion that she became a good person and as nonsensical as the weekly plots could be, I enjoyed watching her first, discover who she "is" and then work through the cat and mouse game with her brother. But turning her bad just really irks me in ways I cannot explain easily.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Some time ago we vacationed at Lake of the Ozarks (which is not the "backwoods" place that it sounds like). So we began watching and really enjoyed the series Ozark... until it ended. Now just waiting for the next season!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Also watched and enjoyed the series Chance. The character "D" was worth the price of admission!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

First Man. I thought it was remarkably good, if a bit too long.
    In a technical sense it got a lot of things wrong and a lot of things right. (My wife claims I spent all my time during the spaceflight sequences either nodding or shaking my head.)
    Gosling and Foy were excellent, and I thought it was the best evocation I've seen of the claustrophobia and slightly grubby reality of spaceflight in that era.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

The First, a television drama series about the first crewed mission to Mars. A collaboration between Hulu and British Channel 4, it stars Sean Penn and Natascha McElhone. It's heavy on the drama but also has quite a bit of science and good visuals.