Page 134 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135 LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 4049

Thread: What are you watching?

I donít remember how long I tried watching Lost. I liked watching a show with Mira Furlan and I got a big kick out of seeing an Apple II in a bunker, since my Apple II+ meant so much to my life (while I played games too, I learned so much on that machine it was a big factor in helping me in my future career). But eventually I just lost interest. Fundamentally, I like shows that are coherent and want to see payoffs for presented mysteries without having to wait forever.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I repeat, I thought it was a reasonably well-done supernatural mystery. Anyone who watched it expecting the accuracy of a documentary was doomed for disappointment. Anyone who was willing to just enjoy the ride might actually enjoy the ride.

(BTW, the polar bear was brought there. The Smoke Monster ... uh ... yeah, supernatural.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I repeat, I thought it was a reasonably well-done supernatural mystery. Anyone who watched it expecting the accuracy of a documentary was doomed for disappointment. Anyone who was willing to just enjoy the ride might actually enjoy the ride.
    Yes, I understand what people liked about it, and I've no objection at all to supernatural / science fantasy narratives. (In fact, I like few things better than a weird premise logically developed.) But my wife and I are just not "enjoy the ride" people--we prefer to be going somewhere, and having a sense of progress during the journey. The jet engine, the polar bear and that identifiable "now it's time for a shock" moment were a cluster of markers flagging a particular "just enjoy the ride" kind of storytelling that we both find more annoying than entertaining.
    To judge from later reviews and discussions with friends who loved it, everything about the subsequent evolution of Lost confirmed that we got the signals exactly right--it just wasn't for us.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'd never give a TV show the benefit of that particular doubt. Someone edited those clips and decided what to leave in. A fellow D.O.M.?
    I watch the same show and hadn't thought they were particularly titillating. It was a bunch of women wearing their work clothes, and yes, they're bending and moving a lot, but of course they are--they're archaeologists. And there are episodes where the women in them are pretty well covered up and one of the male archaeologists is wearing high cut-off shorts.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I did notice Phil's shorts in one yesterday. And the weather was bad so the women were covered.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

(BTW, the polar bear was brought there. The Smoke Monster ... uh ... yeah, supernatural.)
    If anything, I watch more fantasy and what passes for science fiction on TV than any other genres, and I donít require deep accuracy (however that would work) from a fantasy show. I also sometimes really enjoy atmospheric shows with a different feel - I really liked Devs for example, as much for the strange atmosphere as anything. However, with Devs they didnít take forever to start putting the puzzle pieces together. But, from my recollection, by the time I gave up on Lost, I still had no idea what it was supposed to be about. I knew strange things were happening, but was it supposed to be due to aliens, magic, or what? And it was obvious they were just going to keep stringing the audience along. Too often with those types of shows. when they finally do get around to the reveal (if they do get around to it at all), it is anticlimactic and disappointing. *shrug* It just wasnít my kind of show.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I did notice Phil's shorts in one yesterday. And the weather was bad so the women were covered.
    Selective perception is not solely the province of D.O.M.s! It's human nature.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Frankly, I'm most likely to notice Phil's shorts when it's cold out because I'm thinking, "Good Lord, man, put some pants on!" Then again, if you're working as hard as he does, you have a better chance of staying warmer, I guess.

Watched the most recent episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier last night, and boy, if they wanted to distinguish the new Captain America from the Steve Rogers version, they definitely succeeded. We saw Steve in an extremely similar situation in The First Avenger, and boy did he handle things differently.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Frankly, I'm most likely to notice Phil's shorts when it's cold out because I'm thinking, "Good Lord, man, put some pants on!"
    Now, that conjures up an interesting mental image in British English. One that's surprisingly difficult to dismiss once envisioned.

Grant Hutchison

I've been wearing shorts all day, and frankly, it's not all that warm here! But I've persevered.
    The last couple of Time Teams I've watched have had multiple examples of what I was saying, including shorts about 20% the size of Phil's.
    Go to about 44:00 minutes of this one, for a scene with a half-dressed young woman who is not even part of the conversation, just bending over and displaying while the guys talk.
    I'm not blaming the women, Gillian, really I'm not. But the producers and editors had to have been doing it on purpose.

ETA: I've also noticed some of the cast members "pants", of both sexes.

I've been wearing shorts all day, and frankly, it's not all that warm here! But I've persevered.
    The last couple of Time Teams I've watched have had multiple examples of what I was saying, including shorts about 20% the size of Phil's.
    Go to about 44:00 minutes of this one, for a scene with a half-dressed young woman who is not even part of the conversation, just bending over and displaying while the guys talk.
    I'm not blaming the women, Gillian, really I'm not. But the producers and editors had to have been doing it on purpose.

ETA: I've also noticed some of the cast members "pants", of both sexes.
    She was the only one working. She got warm.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Archive. Some odd acting from the supporting roles (with the exception of the ever-reliable Toby Jones), but a good pay-off on a building sense of dislocation and unease as the story progresses. Out of respect for the spoiler sensibilities of others, I'll say no more than it reminded me in many ways of one of my favourite movies, Stay.

Grant Hutchison
    Mild Spoiler Alert
    I watched Stay (2005), based on your mention of it, the other night and I can see why it could be a favorite, but it was intensely sad for me. It reminded me of Jacob's Ladder, another favorite of mine which predates the aforementioned twist endings by decades.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I watched Stay (2005), based on your mention of it, the other night and I can see why it could be a favorite, but it was intensely sad for me.
    Most of my favourites are intensely sad. The Boon Companion refers to that particular pile of movies as my "feel-bad collection".
    Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    It reminded me of Jacob's Ladder, another favorite of mine which predates the aforementioned twist endings by decades.
    Yes, I enjoyed Jacob's Ladder, though I prefer the more subtle weirdness of Stay. (All those twins!) And like Stay, Jacob's Ladder gives a clue in its title.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Most of my favourites are intensely sad. The Boon Companion refers to that particular pile of movies as my "feel-bad collection".
    Yes, I enjoyed Jacob's Ladder, though I prefer the more subtle weirdness of Stay. (All those twins!) And like Stay, Jacob's Ladder gives a clue in its title.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes! I saw the twins (and triplets) and knew something was up! I like how they didn't try to hide the terminus, but lead you to it, and you arrived there knowing ultimately where it was heading, but didn't have time or mental space to really adjust fully. I am having trouble explaining but I hope you get the gist.

In regards to Jacob's Ladder, I was just reading a plot summary, and I don't recall there being so many cars blowing up? The Wikipedia (as no surprise to grant) entry is ... fraught with problems, I think.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

I've just watched another Time Team. An earlier one, series 3 I think. Tony had long hair. Phil had dark hair, though still long and unkempt. Even Mick still had dark in his hair. And virtually no females at all, except Carenza who looked pretty much the same. I really like her.

Heh. Yesterday, I watched The Parent Trap III on YouTube, which features a set of acting triplets. (Because I'm posting an article about it today.) I found out that one of them actually played twins all by herself on an episode of Beverly Hills 90210.

"You can't erase icing."

I rarely finish a show but here's what I recommend

Tv shows I have seen and would recommend
    -The Mandalorian a fantasy show about bounty hunter set in the StarWars scifi-ish universe
    -Babylon 5 1990s scifi space opera series ...but maybe skip the last season just eject the DVD and make up your own Babylon-5 ending
    -Chernobyl a re-telling of the disaster in a kind of docu drama
    -Rescue Me drama series
    -Star Trek Original Series 1960s
    -David Attenborough Blue Planet Documentary
    -Firefly Scifi Series
    -Original Twilight zone
    -Barbarians a drama set in Germanic Tribe and Roman era
    -Twin Peaks 1990s runs and a Season 3 returned in 2017
    -Farscape Australian-American Scifi Series
    -Daredevil 2018
    -Original Outer Limits
    -Doom Patrol Tv series
    -Memorist a South Korean Paranormal Detective Thriller show, one Korean officer has 'Touch Telepathy'
    -Wellington Paranormal Spoof mockumentary in NZ
    -Cosmos: written by Carl Sagan and the remake called Spacetime Odyssey with Neil deGrasse Tyson, Seth MacFarlane.
    -The Orville Scifi Space Opera Spoof Comedy Drama
    -HBO From the Earth to the Moon

If you're into toons, CGI or animation or have kids that would sit through a DVD or streamed show then maybe...
    -The Spectacular Spider-Man
    -SpongeBob SquarePants
    -Generator Rex a scifi cartoon
    -Batman the Animated series
    -Les Aventures de Tintin French Belgian tv
    -Avengers EMH
    -Justice League cartoon
    -A Japanese animated toon called Fullmetal Alchemist
    -ďScooby DooĒ 1960s / 70s cartoon
    -The Simpsons
    -Star Trek Original Animated Series
    -The Muppets TV series
    -Infinity Train ...although I have not seen all, it is 'out there', kind of weird at times and there could be adult stuff in it but its humor and intrigue is well done.

Tv shows I have watched some of...am still watching very slowly, might one day finish and not sure if I might recommend but I enjoyed them
    -Deadliest Catch
    -Cheers
    -The Strain an apoclaypse style show about a horror scifi vampire virus
    -The Sopranos
    -Dark Fernsehserie, it has scifi, its German, its weird and unique
    -Stargate Universe
    -All other Star Trek shows after the original series I have watched casually
    -Original Mission Impossible
    -The Untouchables
    -The Borgias
    -Dark Matter
    -NCIS / CSI shows
    -The Tudors
    -Millennium TV series based on X-files
    -Gold Rush
    -American Ninja Warrior
    -The Witcher
    -Downtown Abbey
    -Mythbusters
    -Rome
    -Eureka
    -Frasier
    -Columbo
    -Northern Exposure
    -Batman, original Slapstick Expressionist Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward, the only way to watch this was youtube and other video sites that streamed maybe not-so-legal? I believe it took Warner Bros years to launch it on DVD and there was a copyright dispute with the Complete Batman 1960s Series which is why I dont own it.
    -Cold Case a police procedural crime drama is another of those shows it took forever to release, I believe there were legal battles about music. I believe the series now airs in syndication on other tv stations and you can stream it with the original music on some other websites.
    -Talent-ish shows, I also watch Old Tv Hour talent shows before Backingtrack, laugh track and 'Mime' became a thing. The old Vaudeville, Cabaret, Song, Dance, Rock n Roll era of Playing. Classic talent from an era before everything went electronic, when people played stuff and before every voice got auto-tuned.
    -Quiz competition shows doesnt really matter what format as long as I enjoy it
    for example 'The Chase' 'Mental Samurai' 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' or even ones back to the era of 1950s quiz show scandals etc

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window View Post
    -Babylon 5 1990s scifi space opera series ...but maybe skip the last season just eject the DVD and make up your own Babylon-5 ending
    To explain it for casual viewers, the 4th season closer was supposed to be the big series finale, as the show had been Cancelled. The climax of the storyline was reached, the existential conflicts resolved, wrapped up with a bow, the end. Then it was suddenly Uncancelled, and the writing and production crew had to improvise another season all higgley-piggley (or whatever the figure of speech I'm too lazy to look up is). Quality and story arc both suffered as a result.

If you like the first four seasons of Babylon 5, I still think the fifth season is well worth watching. For that matter, in my opinion, it took until the second season for the show to really get rolling. I initially bought the second through fifth season DVDs, then later picked up the first season. Being an arc show, it does have important clues to later seasons. Of course, I had watched the show through a fair amount of times before buying the DVDs, but often skipped the first season. The movies are worth checking out as well.

Incidentally, there are very few shows I watch through more than twice, even if I like them a lot. Babylon 5 is very much an exception.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I've been watching The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. It's pretty good actually. And got way better this last episode when (spoiler) Julia Louis-Dreyfus made an appearance! She'll be joining the MCU in a future movie as the same character. A little JLD makes anything better.

On a much more serious note, the tangential plotline of the first Black Captain America, Isaiah Bradley - the parallels to Steve Rogers' actions and treatment - are gut wrenching and all too timely.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

I watched another episode of Vera Saturday, but these recent ones are not nearly as good as the old ones.
    In this one I noticed multiple characters referring to themselves as "us", instead of "me". Don't recall that from earlier ones. Is that supposed to be a Newcastle thing?

ETA: Yes, apparently it is a Newcastle thing!

And a big chunk of the rest of northeast England. There's often a slight difference in pronunciation--the singular "us" is uzz, the plural "us" is uss.

In Scotland you can hear "iz" for "me", as in "Lend iz a fiver till payday."
    And the classic construction "Gie'z a break, pal." (Please stop annoying me, my good man.)

Grant Hutchison

Actually, even as an American, the use of "us" as in "give us a kiss" doesn't seem that strange. I don't think I would use it myself, but wouldn't find that usage odd. Maybe it's because I live abroad and so am exposed to a variety of dialects.
    As above, so below

On a much more serious note, the tangential plotline of the first Black Captain America, Isaiah Bradley - the parallels to Steve Rogers' actions and treatment - are gut wrenching and all too timely.
    I love that they were able to work elements of the Red, White and Black comic into the plotline! And it does have that nasty ring of verisimilitude, given what was actually done in real life.

I watched another episode of Vera Saturday night and not one person said "us" instead of "me". The plot dealt with a wealthier class of people, but I suspect it has even more to do with who wrote the episode.
    The PBS station then carried on into the very first episode of a series I'd never heard of, Unforgotten. It's about solving a cold case, which will take six episodes, starting with finding of a skeleton and then introducing four apparently unconnected sets of people including a rich guy, a vicar, a guy in a wheelchair whose wife has dementia, and a mixed-race couple coaching football. (Soccer, to us in the US.) Apart from the ludicrously far-fetched identification of the victim through tracing a number on a car key, I found it quite interesting.

I've started watching Mare of Easttown with Kate Winslet. Kind of a slow start to set the stage but also kind of worth it 'cause you get to know the characters and it gives some reason to their actions. And it does set up the twist at the end of the second episode. Ah, the joys of small town life where e'rybody knows e'rybody.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I watched another episode of Vera Saturday night and not one person said "us" instead of "me". The plot dealt with a wealthier class of people, but I suspect it has even more to do with who wrote the episode.
    It would certainly be unusual for the middle classes to us a non-standard personal pronoun in everyday speech among themselves or to authority figures. George Bernard Shaw's line that "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him,” still has force, though now in some different ways from those Shaw understood.
    I grew up with Scottish "iz" for "me", but not at home or in school. I unconsciously register shift between the two according to social setting, which greatly amuses some of my friends who grew up under different circumstances.

Grant Hutchison

I've been watching a lot of Ask a Mortician on YouTube. It's . . . enjoyable?

"You can't erase icing."

I binge-watched The One on Netflix this past weekend. It's certainly good in the way it hooks you at the end of each episode. I imagine anyone with a genetics background (or maybe anything more than basic Biology 101 education) may have grave problems with the premise. But it's one of those shows where there's MAYBE one "good" and likable character, and even she has done some bone-headed things. It'll be interesing if it gets a second season and where they go with it. It's based on a novel (as many things are these days) and it seems a bad idea to try and keep it open ended.

I also watched Isle of Dogs and thoroughly enjoyed it.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else

lonelybirder.org

We're watching Shadow and Bone on Netflix. It, too, is based on a novel (a series, actually), but I had never heard of it before watching the show.

It's pretty enjoyable, so far.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn