Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 3717

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Oh it’s definitely the train wreck method. You keep tuning in to see what new outrage or shock the show can produce within the limits of the interesting characters and the story arc.

Ozark is the same. We watched a couple of episodes and said “well, let’s watch one more. “ And then one more. And then...we were hooked. Very good performances by Jason Bateman, Laura Linney and Julia Garner.
    Of course the aforementioned The Umbrella Academy has (and recently viewed episode is) veering into this very territory. I feel like there's a "line" it hasn't quite crossed yet. But my pool for new or new-ish entertainment seems to get smaller by the season.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Forget what you've been told in the past
    Electrons are free
    (Plasma!) Fourth state of matter
    Not gas, not liquid, not solid"

-They Might Be Giants, "Why Does The Sun Really Shine?"

lonelybirder.org

I've finish binging on Runaways and then notice that Cloak and Dagger was linked to the show. Now I am watching that one.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It was terribly hard to keep track of who's who, and who's related to who. Not to mention keeping track of which time period (and, by the third season, which universe) any particular scene is taking place in.

We thought the first season was great, the second okay, and the third mediocre. (About halfway through the third season, we were laughing every time a character said some variation of "They lied to you!" because it seemed to happen at least once per episode).

Overall, it's a good show, though.

(Trivial note: The second season opener established, via on-screen text, that the season's apocalyptic event was to occur on June 27, 2020. When that came up onscreen while we were watching the episode, I turned to my wife and said, "That's today." Because it was.)
    Agree with everything

Do you recommend to watch until the end? I'm now on 2nd episode of the 3rd season and honestly, it's getting boring. Out of respect, I want to watch it till the end but in the same time main characters also [tick] me off somehow.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2020-Aug-05 at 06:07 PM. Reason: filtered language

Day 6 of the 17 day, delayed from March, World Snooker Championship sans spectators. Any afficionadas out there?

Finishing up Wizards, the third series in Guillermo Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia, on Netflix. Confirms some of my beliefs about one or two characters, too. And they've fixed one of the sad bits of the first series, too!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Finishing up Wizards, the third series in Guillermo Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia, on Netflix. Confirms some of my beliefs about one or two characters, too. And they've fixed one of the sad bits of the first series, too!
    I just started it - I'm wanting and not wanting to know/remember what the sad bits were! I really have loved these series so far.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by HollyMiller View Post
    Agree with everything

Do you recommend to watch until the end? I'm now on 2nd episode of the 3rd season and honestly, it's getting boring. Out of respect, I want to watch it till the end but in the same time main characters also [tick] me off somehow.
    Sorry, somehow I missed this.

The last season did get fairly boring and repetitive, but I'd say you might as well finish it. For what it's worth, there's an actual ending - there will be no fourth season.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I just started it - I'm wanting and not wanting to know/remember what the sad bits were! I really have loved these series so far.
    Apparently there's a movie coming out next year, but if it's delayed as often as Wizards was, we'll expect to see it in about 2023.

If I had to be awakened by artillery this morning, I figured I'd take the opportunity to watch a movie I wouldn't watch with the kids. I'm watching Harold and Maude. Next time there's a Criterion sale, I hope I'll be able to upgrade my copy; the print on this DVD is very muddy.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Watched the last episode of Agents of Shield last night, twice they put in a book of Carl Sagans Cosmos.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've been rewatching Microbes And Men, a six-part 1974 docu-drama from the BBC, dealing with the early development of disinfectants, vaccines and antibiotics--from Semmelweis to Erlich. The acting is occasionally overwrought in a 1970s sort of way, but it's otherwise magisterial. No-one does stuff this good any more.

Grant Hutchison

Howard, a documentary about Howard Ashman. I've been advised to have tissues handy.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm watching Imagineering on D+. The very first episode includes a section on it's a small world. I've seen this one episode a few times and it chokes me up each time. I suspect that everyone has their moment where they realize that it really is a small world, but perhaps it is different for each of us. For me, it's a small world reminds of being in high school and hearing Pink Floyd's The Wall performed in Berlin on a radio station out of Toronto.

Every once in a while, I get that exact same feeling when I post here.
    Solfe

We started Onisciente (Omniscient) on Netflix tonight. It's a Brazilian speculative fiction show set in the near-future where major cities are using personal micro-drones to monitor the population and deter crime. Our viewing defaulted to English dub and subtitles. It's a bit humorous how the two diverge in their translations. But the first episode was good, so we'll keep watching.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

We started Onisciente (Omniscient) on Netflix tonight. It's a Brazilian speculative fiction show set in the near-future where major cities are using personal micro-drones to monitor the population and deter crime. Our viewing defaulted to English dub and subtitles. It's a bit humorous how the two diverge in their translations. But the first episode was good, so we'll keep watching.

CJSF
    Might have to check that out - thanks for the tip.

As for the English subtitles and dub not matching, we noticed that when watched "Dark," too. When the dub says "I have a science test today" and the subtitles say "I have a history test today," it makes you wonder what the actual German line was, and if it even had anything to do with a test.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Might have to check that out - thanks for the tip.

As for the English subtitles and dub not matching, we noticed that when watched "Dark," too. When the dub says "I have a science test today" and the subtitles say "I have a history test today," it makes you wonder what the actual German line was, and if it even had anything to do with a test.
    We're a couple more episodes in, and I still find it compelling. But if you are a stickler for computer tech and IT accuracy, you might have some issues with the general IT security set up and some of the basic tech around the System. For someone like me, who knows just enough to be dangerous, it wasn't too hard to suspend disbelief on that front.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Watching an old episode of Antiques Roadshow on BBC Canada from Halifax in Yorkshire. The first couple of time I think of the in Nova Scotia. Today is one of those days were I have finished a major writing project and last week won a game of Civ, and now have to figure what to do, wood to split but like to get the owner of the wood splitter to amke sure it is ready, probably do a little weeding, pick some more blackberries some are already jam. I guess it is time for this old insane man to go outside for a bit.

I have just acquired the pop culture legend Cop Rock on DVD. It's very much not for everyone, but I think it's fascinating, and the songs are by Randy Newman!

"You can't erase icing."

Picked Murdoch Mysteries back up at the tail end of season 12. I'm puzzled, as toward the end of season 11 they strongly foreshadowed some nefarious activities by Miss Hart (now the coroner) and the Chief Inspector of Station House 2. But they have not picked up one thread of that this whole season. We watched the penultimate season 12 episode last night, and by the description of the finale, I hope we aren't saying goodbye to the best character of the show (IMO).

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Picked Murdoch Mysteries back up at the tail end of season 12. I'm puzzled, as toward the end of season 11 they strongly foreshadowed some nefarious activities by Miss Hart (now the coroner) and the Chief Inspector of Station House 2. But they have not picked up one thread of that this whole season. We watched the penultimate season 12 episode last night, and by the description of the finale, I hope we aren't saying goodbye to the best character of the show (IMO).

CJSF
    OK, the description was much more ominous sounding then the season finale was.

I would love to have seen an Anne With An E and Murdoch crossover special.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

I watched the 2017 Justice League movie. I had heard it was supposed to be terrible but it seemed reasonably entertaining to me. Seriously, what do you expect out of a movie like that? I haven’t cared that much for the Avengers movies that seem to get a lot of praise (I fell asleep on one of them) and the DC movies were also meh, but I sort of liked how the characters worked together here.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I watched the 2017 Justice League movie. I had heard it was supposed to be terrible but it seemed reasonably entertaining to me. Seriously, what do you expect out of a movie like that? I haven’t cared that much for the Avengers movies that seem to get a lot of praise (I fell asleep on one of them) and the DC movies were also meh, but I sort of liked how the characters worked together here.
    Someone put it best: After three prior films of dull gray morality and feel, they finally turned to Technicolor.
    Last edited by Noclevername; 2020-Aug-23 at 01:17 AM.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

We've started watching Man Down, starring Greg Davies. What a bizarrely entertaining show. Rik Myall as Dan's (Greg's character) father was masterful!

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

I watched an episode of the British crime drama Vera last night for the first time. I'd have enjoyed it more had it had subtitles!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've been watching Cop Rock before the kids wake up in the mornings, but Graham's home this morning, so The Mandalorian instead!

"You can't erase icing."

For anyone keeping track (why??), there was another season 12 Murdoch Mysteries disc, so we are waiting on that.

We finished Wizards and I have mixed feelings about it. I liked Callista/Deya's mini-arc, even though the retcon seemed a little forced. I am still not sure how the 3 Below piece really was totally necessary, as it never seemed to be fully integrated into the story. And I for sure have to re-watch Trollhunters to sort out what I had forgotten and what Gillianren was sad about.

I've been watching the YouTube channel Odd Tinkering as I do my twice daily exercises for ~20min each time. Some fun restoration of old and disused items. The clips are subtly humorous, and the presenter never shows his face or really says much of anything. It's a cool way to pass that time and it's oddly relaxing.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

Gillian was sad about a certain transformation. And I like 3Below a lot even though it's not fully part of the story; I honestly liked it better than a lot of Wizards. The main reason being, I think, that I like Aja and Krel better than Douxsie.

"You can't erase icing."

I binged Brave New World on Peacock this weekend. The first two episodes were free and interesting, but not so much that I was willing to pay to see the rest. But this past weekend Peacock made them available for free so, I binged.

It's been awhile since I read the book so I'm not sure just how much the series diverged, but that allowed me to watch it without critical comparison. It was pretty good. And, of course, ended season 1 on a bit of a cliffhanger.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Gillian was sad about a certain transformation. And I like 3Below a lot even though it's not fully part of the story; I honestly liked it better than a lot of Wizards. The main reason being, I think, that I like Aja and Krel better than Douxsie.
    I agree with this, actually. I really liked 3 Below, on its own. Aja and Krell are possibly my favorite characters from the 3 series and I even found myself liking what they did with Aja and Steve. Wizards seemed unfinished to me (not just that the story isn't done, I mean in polish and how it tried to fit things together). Putting Steve without Pepperjack was disappointing - and the incessant repetition of Steve's screaming every 10 seconds got a bit wearing.

I liked Wizards, but least of the 3.

CJSF
    "The sun is a quagmire
    It's not made of fire
    Electrons are free

lonelybirder.org

The kings speech which means me on wikipedia looking up stuff on the royals.

I agree with this, actually. I really liked 3 Below, on its own. Aja and Krell are possibly my favorite characters from the 3 series and I even found myself liking what they did with Aja and Steve. Wizards seemed unfinished to me (not just that the story isn't done, I mean in polish and how it tried to fit things together). Putting Steve without Pepperjack was disappointing - and the incessant repetition of Steve's screaming every 10 seconds got a bit wearing.

I liked Wizards, but least of the 3.
    Basically this. I'd gotten a friend to watch the shows who managed to just finish 3Below as Wizards dropped. He agreed with the assessment as well. And we started listing characters we'd rather see filling Steve's role in the plot.

"You can't erase icing."