Page 119 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 3612

Thread: What are you watching?

We finished the 30th episode of Ozark and we'll have to wait until 2021 for the next season. It's a fascinating look at how evil can mutate even the most normal of families. Now it's on to The Crown in which we've only seen the first three episodes but it's been very enjoyable. Although I keep expecting a Tardis to appear whenever Prince Phillip is on screen. Waiting in the wings is Dead to Me with Christina Applegate. My wife enjoyed the pilot; me, not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Ah well, there is only a certain amount of time and money available to anyone and you have to prioritise what things you wish to spend them on.
    And the library didn't have it!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And the library didn't have it!
    It is on Youtube - I am sure having a 4 & 6 year old home 7 days a week leaves you plenty of free time

Edit: And I forgot the new kittens, congratulations by the way, who I am sure will not cause any problems either.

Oh, yes, so much free time! Though I am getting more watching on my own done now that we're in a house and the kids have more room to go do things without hanging on me all the time.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Some random vlogs on YouTube.

There is a new british mystery series I have been watching is traces it is about a young woman you moves back to her home city to work in forensics lab. The training video reminds her of her mothers unsolved murder and she starts sleuthing around.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There is a new british mystery series I have been watching is traces it is about a young woman you moves back to her home city to work in forensics lab. The training video reminds her of her mothers unsolved murder and she starts sleuthing around.
    Filmed in these parts, though the story geography is, as ever when you know the area, disjointed and confused. She works in quite the oddest lab, run by quite the oddest people--which is a pity, given that it's inspired by a real facility.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Filmed in these parts, though the story geography is, as ever when you know the area, disjointed and confused. She works in quite the oddest lab, run by quite the oddest people--which is a pity, given that it's inspired by a real facility.

Grant Hutchison
    Sometimes the reality of the geography doesn't match what the story tellers have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Sometimes the reality of the geography doesn't match what the story tellers have in mind.
    Oh, I know. It shakes you out of the story if you recognize the impossible sequence of settings, though. The worst ever was Sunshine on Leith, which is set in Edinburgh. There's a scene in which a character sets off to walk to the railway station, and is seen passing a series of Edinburgh landmarks in a completely random order. There was great hilarity and a few shouted jokes in the cinema.

Grant Hutchison

Laked the ending of Traces. Today it is war movies like the Great Escape and the Dirty Dozen, what a wonderful group of role models. Staying in do to some typing and let a sun burn heal a little.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh, I know. It shakes you out of the story if you recognize the impossible sequence of settings, though. The worst ever was Sunshine on Leith, which is set in Edinburgh. There's a scene in which a character sets off to walk to the railway station, and is seen passing a series of Edinburgh landmarks in a completely random order. There was great hilarity and a few shouted jokes in the cinema.

Grant Hutchison
    Sylvester Stalllone's iconic run through Philadelphia in Rocky also took him past several recognizable landmarks, ending with him sprinting up the 70 steps of the Art Museum. Somebody carefully traced his route during the montage and calculated that to re-create his daily exercise regimen, one would have to run nearly 31 miles.

An Officer and a Gentleman was filmed in my town. There's a scene in which Richard Gere has a brief fight with some townies. He then jumps in the car with his friends and they drive off. Straight at the ferry dock about 100 feet away. The street in question was actually the exit from the dock, you can even see the arrows on the street pointing the other direction in the film.
    A new dock has been built since then in a different location.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Ozark, ostensibly taking place around The Lake of the Ozarks, MO, was largely filmed around Atlanta. We’ve gotten a kick out of seeing familiar landmarks and shooting locations.

I grew up in LA County, so . . . .

"You can't erase icing."

I grew up in LA County, so . . . .
    So you lived in a giant soundstage.

I've written a time or two about Mythic Los Angeles, the LA that appears in TV and movies, and how little resemblance it bears to the real Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, we've been watching a series called Still Standing, where the guy who plays Crabtree on The Murdoch Mysteries goes to small towns around Canada, learns about them, and then does stand-up aimed at the people of the town. It's been really funny, and it's an interesting way of looking at small-town life. And this morning, Irene has declared that she wants to watch Spider-Man, so Into the Spider-Verse it is.

"You can't erase icing."

SpaceX manned launch! About three hours from now. The astronauts are being driven to the pad in a Tesla.

Been recording "Grant" on the History channel and watched the first episode last night, very good history lesson, esp his youth and how his life developed from there.

I've written a time or two about Mythic Los Angeles, the LA that appears in TV and movies, and how little resemblance it bears to the real Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, we've been watching a series called Still Standing, where the guy who plays Crabtree on The Murdoch Mysteries goes to small towns around Canada, learns about them, and then does stand-up aimed at the people of the town. It's been really funny, and it's an interesting way of looking at small-town life. And this morning, Irene has declared that she wants to watch Spider-Man, so Into the Spider-Verse it is.
    Still Standing is great! The Season 5 Churchill, MB episode just won some awards. Jonny Harris is a delight (he often steals the show, for me, on Murdoch Mysteries).

CJSF
    "Off went his rocket at the speed of light
    Flying so fast there was no day or night
    Messing around with the fabric of time
    He knows who's guilty 'fore there's even a crime

Davy, Davy Crockett
    The buckskin astronaut
    Davy, Davy Crockett
    There's more than we were taught"

-They Might Be Giants, "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett (In Outer Space)"

lonelybirder.org

I’ve been watching Space Force on Netflix. Better than I expected - I’m usually unimpressed with Steve Carrell shows or movies, so I wasn’t expecting much. I found this show to be mildly amusing, not terribly offensive, I even chuckled a couple of times. The humor was low key, and thankfully there was no laugh track (I hate laugh tracks, unless I agree there really is something to laugh at). I liked the late Fred Willard’s bits. He played an old man whose mind was starting to go, but the way he played it showed his mind was in reality quite sharp.

They didn’t make as much fun of the idea of a Space Force as I expected, which was a pleasant surprise, but they definitely confused the scope of a military Space Force and the civilian NASA. And don’t expect technical accuracy.

All in all, not great, but not bad.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The weather in Florida....

Well, from my viewpoint in Orlando, it was raining like a sonofagun last night.

He has to been to a couple of towns near me McAdam and I think Campobello, I know he was scheduled to go to Campobello. I have think I have been to McAdam once when I was a kid because my grandfather wanted to see the last steam engine in service when it was there, actually got blasted by the steam as it passed a crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I’ve been watching Space Force on Netflix. Better than I expected - I’m usually unimpressed with Steve Carrell shows or movies, so I wasn’t expecting much. I found this show to be mildly amusing, not terribly offensive, I even chuckled a couple of times. The humor was low key, and thankfully there was no laugh track (I hate laugh tracks, unless I agree there really is something to laugh at). I liked the late Fred Willard’s bits. He played an old man whose mind was starting to go, but the way he played it showed his mind was in reality quite sharp.

They didn’t make as much fun of the idea of a Space Force as I expected, which was a pleasant surprise, but they definitely confused the scope of a military Space Force and the civilian NASA. And don’t expect technical accuracy.

All in all, not great, but not bad.
    I've watched a few episodes as well. John Malkovich surprisingly adds a lot of dry humor to the show.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I've watched a few episodes as well. John Malkovich surprisingly adds a lot of dry humor to the show.
    Yes, he definitely helps the show. I think if you don’t expect more than a low-key, mildly amusing show, it works. If you want a very funny show, look elsewhere.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

They didn’t make as much fun of the idea of a Space Force as I expected, which was a pleasant surprise...
    That would have been NASAWATCH’s Cowing on C-SPAN’s Launch America simulcast call-in segment—throwing shade on Demo-2. Typical.

Some are interested in disruptive technology— and some are just...disruptive.
    Last edited by publiusr; 2020-Jun-01 at 04:31 AM.

Yes, he definitely helps the show. I think if you don’t expect more than a low-key, mildly amusing show, it works. If you want a very funny show, look elsewhere.
    I'm finding it more of a very light drama with a little silliness and an occasional laugh; more than a comedy.

I think they've rushed into stuff that could've been developed over time, which made it way less suspension-of-disbelief-able; but I have no idea if this is meant to be a one-off series or something long lasting.

un-spoiler alert: I like how I don't know yet the details of why the generals wife is where she is.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Also watching a lot of "the news".

No comment.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Also watching a lot of "the news".

No comment.
    I am very much making a point of NOT watching that.

Just sumbled upon Can Scince Save New Brunswick, this was taped before the Pandemic, a couple of academics and a couple of politicians.