Page 137 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4225

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Just watched Guns Akimbo on Amazon Prime.
    So it's a movie about guns that have been bent through a right-angle? That seems ... niche.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    So it's a movie about guns that have been bent through a right-angle? That seems ... niche.
    It is niche, but that’s not quite it. “Guns akimbo” is apparently another way of saying someone is dual wielding guns. In this case a bad guy bolts guns to an average fellow’s hands, and puts him through a staged fight of sorts. It’s supposed to be a dark comedy, and I suppose there are somewhat humorous bits, but to me it is more about not taking itself too seriously.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Watching Lupin again in anticipation of the second season becoming available soon. I really enjoy Omar Sy in this role (and also in The Intouchables).

Finished the Belgian series Unit 42, about a unit that specializes in cyber crime cases. I liked that each episode tells a complete story, in contrast to so many other shows I've recently watched where the entire season is one complicated story. I was willing to suspend my disbelief regarding the speed at which the crew is able to solve cases, maybe because I enjoyed this cast too.

It is niche, but that’s not quite it. “Guns akimbo” is apparently another way of saying someone is dual wielding guns.
    Yes, I think the expression comes from computer gaming originally. I wish it had stayed there. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a coining.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Yes, I think the expression comes from computer gaming originally. I wish it had stayed there. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a coining.

Grant Hutchison
    I think it is older than computers, to me it means arms or legs flung out wildly as when unintentionally falling. I presumed it was anglo-indian, like bungalow. So Guns akimbo, which I have not encountered, would mean shooting unaimed to both sides, as is often shown in action movies.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I think it is older than computers, to me it means arms or legs flung out wildly as when unintentionally falling. I presumed it was anglo-indian, like bungalow. So Guns akimbo, which I have not encountered, would mean shooting unaimed to both sides, as is often shown in action movies.
    "Akimbo" is as old as English, probably Germanic in origin. It means "bent at right angles", so "arms akimbo" is a stance with hands on hips and elbows pointing to the sides; there's an old verb "to kimbo [one's arms]" which means to put your hands on your hips in that sort of posture. "Legs akimbo" is a posture like a frog on its back, with hips rotated and knees bent.
    "Guns akimbo" is the phrase I believe originated in computer games, presumably coined by someone unfamiliar with what "arms akimbo" actually means.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jun-03 at 02:01 PM.

After Life, an often depressing comedy-drama starring and written by Ricky Gervais.

Yeah, I stopped watching it after a few episodes. I needed something uplifting at the time; don't know if I'll get back to it.

I’ve had a number of times watching something, or giving up on watching something because it seemed to be made to make people unhappy or depressed, then I found it was claimed to be a comedy. Some people have a very different idea of what “comedy” means than I do. I don’t consider something to be a comedy unless it at least successfully makes me smile, and I really am not impressed unless it makes me laugh at least once.

Actually, in general, I look more for shows that are hopeful, with less horrific settings, with characters that I actually like these days. In science fiction shows that’s much of what I liked about Star Trek and Stargate SG1: adventure, hopefulness, people using their brains to resolve things, characters I could care about. I wish I could find more written stories that are like that, as well as shows and movies, but not too stupid to watch or read.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"Akimbo" is as old as English, probably Germanic in origin. It means "bent at right angles", so "arms akimbo" is a stance with hands on hips and elbows pointing to the sides; there's an old verb "to kimbo [one's arms]" which means to put your hands on your hips in that sort of posture. "Legs akimbo" is a posture like a frog on its back, with hips rotated and knees bent.
    "Guns akimbo" is the phrase I believe originated in computer games, presumably coined by someone unfamiliar with what "arms akimbo" actually means.

Grant Hutchison
    I first encountered the word akimbo in the Robotech series of books. One the bad guys uses it as his standard display of displeasure. It makes sense in context because he's bigger and meaner that pretty much everyone else, so it is daunting. The authors both used it in the correct meaning, hands on hips, elbows out to the side.

It's kind of funny to see that from a cartoon and book series based on massive 50 foot tall aliens and giant killer robots, both of which are positively festooned with weapons.

Personally, I think the term "guns akimbo" makes more sense in a Western setting that what video game players mean by it. It's the classic drop the hand to the pistol butt move that builds tension in a story or movie. Having two hands on two guns makes it more intense. And vaguely correct usage of the terms.

Anyway, back to my viewing habits. I only have time for one show at a time and I picked The Bad Batch. Wrecker's head injury was a plot point this week. Good to know that cartoons are actually predictable. One other thing I noticed is the characters wear pretty bulky armor for Stormtroopers. It actually works to stop shots, but they do suffer injuries. One of the characters was burned pretty good from a blaster shot to the shoulder. They even hold on to the idea from episode to episode. After the shootings, the injured heroes tend crawl, hide and spend a lot of time getting to cover instead of being as reckless. Being a cartoon, the healthy heroes take up the reckless slack.

Except for Wrecker. He is rapidly racing towards an ominous end.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's the classic drop the hand to the pistol butt move that builds tension in a story or movie.
    And in real life, I have found.

But in that scenario it's the arms that are akimbo, not the guns.

Grant Hutchison

I am watching the slightly derivative The Letter For The King fantasy series. I find it somewhat clever, with the protagonist much more likable than Shadow and Bone's. My wife and I are watching the limited series Collateral. Whovians may be excited that Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Carey Mulligan (Sally Sparrow), and John Simm (Harry Saxon/The Master) are all in the cast.

We watched American Murder: The Family Next Door, which uses nearly only raw, primary source footage (interrogation cameras, body cams, texts, social media) with no narration, to tell the story of the Watts family murders. Chilling, but very gripping. This was somewhat recent (2018) and quite sensationalistic, but I don't recall hearing about it at the time.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

The Letter For The King is on Netflix for those curious. I watched it, it was okay, but I’m afraid it didn’t make much of an impression on me.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The Letter For The King is on Netflix for those curious. I watched it, it was okay, but I’m afraid it didn’t make much of an impression on me.
    Yeah, it's no grand epic, and for the semi-generation that came of age watching the violence and sex of Game Of Thornes it probably is about as interesting as lukewarm tap water. But I find it at least charming enough to pass the evening after supper.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

This week, Cinema Therapy is talking about how kids learn using The Incredibles.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We just finished season one of Sweet Tooth, based on the same name from DC Comics. It borrows from a few other post-apocalyptic stories but is still quite watchable. We’re looking forward to the next season.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    We just finished season one of Sweet Tooth, based on the same name from DC Comics. It borrows from a few other post-apocalyptic stories but is still quite watchable. We’re looking forward to the next season.
    We are half way and probably stopping Sweet tooth, it is a neat idea, but basically too slow. It would make a decent movie but for me the idea does not have enough legs for a series. Good child actor, but falls into post crisis cliches which seem to just repeat. But for an old person series, Kaminski’s method was fun and well written with a host of (old) Los Angeles stars. Michael Douglas stars and of course comes out OK in the end. Sorry if that is a spoiler.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I watched Loki today. It zig-zags a lot and wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I liked it.

The best line was: "You're that criminal with the blue box!" It got an angry glare in response, which sort of implies that Loki watches Dr. Who.

It's much better than the Spiderman "old movie" gag.
    Solfe

I was fond of the "you can smell the cologne of two Tony Starks" line, myself. Also, I'm happy that Tara Strong is now in the MCU, albeit in a very minor capacity.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Locked Down. A "romcom heist" movie set in, and filmed during, Covid lockdown in London. But it's basically Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor talking to each other for two hours, delivering their lines as if they were on-stage. A lot of people seem to hate it because "nothing happens"; but actually a lot of things happen, because Hathaway and Ejiofor fling themselves into their clever dialogue with what looks like immense relish.
    I enjoyed it immensely, and laughed aloud several times.

ETA: Amazon came up with a bizarre "Frequently bought together" recommendation--this movie and Godzilla vs. Kong. A new usage of the word frequently with which I was not previously acquainted.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2021-Jun-11 at 01:06 AM.

ETA: Amazon came up with a bizarre "Frequently bought together" recommendation--this movie and Godzilla vs. Kong. A new usage of the word frequently with which I was not previously acquainted.
    Godzilla and King Kong share very clever dialogue.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Recently I watched The Expanse series - I like the idea of how can human proceed in space exploration depicted there. Looking forward to watching last season! It is a little bit sad that it will be the last one but still I hope it will be outstanding final! Too much drama in last season - i want to know how it ends :hushed:

How many times do two movies have to be bought together in order to qualify as "frequently"?

How many times were these two movies bought together?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    How many times do two movies have to be bought together in order to qualify as "frequently"?

It's Amazon's proprietary "AI" algorithm, so that's something we're not going to know. It reportedly compares my browsing and purchase history against every other customer's in order to find a cluster of reasonably close matches, then looks at stuff they also bought, then chooses something that seems like a good up-selling bet. The object of the exercise here is to make me buy more stuff, and my own experience is that I often see completely unrelated blockbusters appearing in my "frequently bought together" recommendation for movie purchases. It suggests to me that the algorithm has failed, in some may, to find a good cluster around my purchase, and has just chucked a speculative "lots of people are buying this at the moment" item into the mix.
    Whereas the "frequently bought together" recommendations for books I buy seems to "match" rare purchases with other rare purchases, with usually hilarious results.

Grant Hutchison

I understand that the recommendation makes no sense, and that they could probably tweak the algorithm to prevent this sort of thing.

I just wouldn't necessarily fault the word "frequently". I am perfectly willing to believe that a not-insignificant percentage of Locked Down purchases coincided with Godzilla vs. Kong purchases.

Variations of the phrase "a new usage of the word X with which I was not previously acquainted" are a joke, originating I think with Douglas Adams. It's a way of saying "This doesn't make sense to me."
    It's a common expression, down our way.

Grant Hutchison

I know that, too. "This must be some new meaning of the word 'safe' of which I was previously unaware," when Ford told Arthur they were "safe" on the Vogon ship. But that was because Arthur was certain they weren't safe.

We don't know Amazon's claimed correlation wasn't frequent, and I don't see any real reason to assume that it wasn't.

But now I'm sorry I brought it up.

I know that, too. "This must be some new meaning of the word 'safe' of which I was previously unaware," when Ford told Arthur they were "safe" on the Vogon ship. But that was because Arthur was certain they weren't safe.

We don't know Amazon's claimed correlation wasn't frequent, and I don't see any real reason to assume that it wasn't.

But now I'm sorry I brought it up.
    What I posted was simply intended to make people smile. I'm sorry it seems not to have worked for you. I think I could construct arguments to either defend or undermine Amazon's usage of "frequent", by making different defensible choices of denominator. But I wasn't attempting to make a defensible argument, just a mild little joke.

Grant Hutchison

It's Amazon's proprietary "AI" algorithm, so that's something we're not going to know. It reportedly compares my browsing and purchase history against every other customer's in order to find a cluster of reasonably close matches, then looks at stuff they also bought, then chooses something that seems like a good up-selling bet. The object of the exercise here is to make me buy more stuff, and my own experience is that I often see completely unrelated blockbusters appearing in my "frequently bought together" recommendation for movie purchases. It suggests to me that the algorithm has failed, in some may, to find a good cluster around my purchase, and has just chucked a speculative "lots of people are buying this at the moment" item into the mix.
    Whereas the "frequently bought together" recommendations for books I buy seems to "match" rare purchases with other rare purchases, with usually hilarious results.

Grant Hutchison
    I was working on a website that did such things. The developer found that simply picking two or more randomly selected items by hand was preferable to letting a machine do it. My boss hated the idea until someone pointed out that the only thing you could buy were toys from a single company. The difference between the two or more offerings was very slight. Like doggies, offer kitties. Like toy computers, offer toy phones. So long as you used real numbers you thankfully didn't end up with suggestions for both toy computers and doggies or toy phones and kitty dolls. It does make a bit of sense given the limited selection.
    Solfe

Thanks to a thread with Clever and some other members, I am rewatching Battlestar Galatica from 2003. I am also still watching The Bad Batch, which is covers the destruction of the Republic by the Empire. You know how poorly that will end and it is loaded with hopes and dreams when compared to BSG.
    Solfe